Cuba has proven that capitalism and technology are failures - Page 103 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

26K per year as a physician?! How much debt are you in for your degree?

XogGyux wrote:Let me get this straight. I humor you on your non-sensical, off-topic request, and you a criticizing the way I format my replies?

I'm trying to help you.

LOL don't get me started on taxes.

Why?

In the US... It might be expensive, it might even bankrupt you.

It is and it often does. A lot of people have to beg friends/relatives on gofundme to help with their health costs. I understand over 50% of gofundme pages made in the U.S. are for healthcare assistance.

Even bankrupt people have better quality of life and better quality of healthcare in this country than in Cuba.

Lol, I doubt that.

Do they get denied any health care?

Actually people do get denied healthcare when turning up if they can't afford it. It was documented in Micheal Moore's film on the U.S. healthcare business and also more recently in John Pilger's film on the NHS.

Our system does suck... but Cuba's is FAR FAR worse. If the US is a nightmare... Cuba is a hellish night-terror. If the US is a thief... Cuba is a mass murderer-rapist.

This is just beyond absurd. The U.S. is objectively much worse than Cuba, a state that doesn't send soldiers all over the place to steal, murder, destroy etc. while denying tens of millions access to healthcare at home. Cuba instead sends doctors.

Here, since you couldn't read the article above, here it is being spoken out loud, so you can learn some things about Amerikkka.
skinster wrote:Why?

Because tax hurts me as much as anyone else. It sucks to see ~10k every month disapear in taxes. I did not make that much on a whole year of employment at my first job were I was working part-time at a retail store. I worked there for almost 10 years and I did it hapily because I was working towards a greater goal. It was hard, the pay was shit but even then, I promess you I had far better quality of life than I had in cuba just a prior years earlier. For starters, I had my own car. It was a crappy 1996 Civic that burned more oil than gasoline but it was mine. This meant independence. This meant I could save up a few bucks and leave a weekend somewhere and enjoy that weekend. That meant I could go to work and pick up extra shifts at night when the pay was better. This meant I could go over the weekend to the lab to run experiments at 9pm (only time I had free) so I could add it to my resume to apply for med-school.

But it still hurts, because 10k is still a lot of money.
On the other hand, I happily pay it because it is part of the price for the kind of quality of life we aspire to. Relatively good quality roads (certainly better than anything in cuba), a police force I can actually call now and they will show up in a few minutes rather than hours, days or not show up at all... like in cuba. A safety net for elderly people, etc.
Could it be better? Yes. Would I be happy if rather than spending 3k of my taxes on the military, we spent less than 1k and the reminder 2k go to expanded healthcare? Absolutely, sign me in. But! I can tell you this much, with all its defects, I take the US over Cuba a billion times!

The U.S. is objectively much worse than Cuba, a state that doesn't send soldiers all over the place to steal, murder, destroy etc. while denying tens of millions access to healthcare at home. Cuba instead sends doctors.

LOL. Propaganda.
skinster wrote:Who's doing better dealing with the pandemic, Cuba or America? :excited:

1.- I don't follow cuba shit closely anymore. I can tell you the US's is pretty shitty.
2.- I wouldn't trust whatever nonsense Cuba's government claims.
3.- And finally, there is the issue that this is a public health/crowd control question, rather than quality of medicine/doctors/etc. You can control the disease in the shitties poorest country in the planet, provided you don't allow infected people to arrive and/or once detected isolating those infected people.

So really, this comparison doesn't tell you much. With those caveats out of the way, given started resources/information/assets/ability to influence population and/or provide them with information it is very hard to beat the utter incompetence of the way that the US dealt with it.
But again, this doesn't tell you much about the underlying systems in place.
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/timand2037/status/1316499035474149376?s=20

When I was a kid I would always wonder, why do these assholes bother with this obviously fake statement/propaganda that everyone can see 1 mile away. Then I realized... many people buy this nonsense =/ :knife: .
Dude, this is all cheap propaganda. If we go by this kind of nonsense, it would be North Korea as the best role model as to how to run society :lol: They have zero cases, they have zero deaths! They are doing amazingly well! :knife:

Also, lets not forget that it was pretty much every other country that made the decision that favors Cuba (from the epidemiological point of view). It was airlines and cruise companies that cancelled/postponed travel early one, which significantly improves the chances of controlling this disease in a small island-country like Cuba. In that regard, the ink is still fresh. We still have to see what happens when they start ramping up tourism.... That is... if you can trust their numbers. I for one, have no reason to trust any number provided by Cuba, and have plenty of reason to call them all into question.
skinster wrote:How much student debt did you begin with and how much do you now have?

The left wing types that believe Cuba is a paradise are a lot like the right wing types that think Trump is the greatest president ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Julian658 on 20 Oct 2020 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
XogGyux wrote:When I was a kid I would always wonder, why do these assholes bother with this obviously fake statement/propaganda that everyone can see 1 mile away. Then I realized... many people buy this nonsense =/ :knife: .
Dude, this is all cheap propaganda.

I guess comparing Cuba to Dominican Republic's response to COVID is appropriate.

Likewise, comparing Cuba to Puerto Rico's hurricane response.

But comparing Cuba to the USA is an example of bad faith. Why not compare countries that are more similar in size and culture and economy to determine which has the most appropriate system?

Likewise, that the USA gets its wealth from pillaging the entire world... means that this "system" is not imitatable by anyone. Expecially if they're being sanctioned, with a giant Uncle Sam knee on their neck.

About my comparing his own experience fleeing poverty to the Irish who fled British-caused starvation, only to fight for their former torturers, XogGyux wrote: It seems like something Salvador Dali would have painted, but instead, you decided to put it into words.

Salvador Dali was a genius. Thank you!
QatzelOk wrote:
But comparing Cuba to the USA is an example of bad faith. Why not compare countries that are more similar in size and culture and economy to determine which has the most appropriate system?

I explained this to you before. When Fidel took over Cuba, Cuba was not like El Salvador or Dominican republic, etc, or like Peru or any of that. Doesn't seem that you want to make good faith comparisons :lol: .

QatzelOk wrote:Salvador Dali was a genius. Thank you!

Well, it does seem you both have the same tendency for the bizarre. As for the genius part, let's just say I have my reservations :lol: .
XogGyux wrote:When Fidel took over Cuba, Cuba was not like El Salvador or Dominican republic, etc, or like Peru or any of that.

El Salvador and Peru have both known rightwing death squads and incredible racism. I don't know a lot of Cuba economic refugees in Montreal, but I have knows dozens of people from Peru and El Salvador who came here - to avoid being tortured, killed, or disappeared.

This is probably the direction Cuba would have gone if Fidel hadn't saved it from the USA. Argentina used to be rich too, then it moved onto torture, disappearing, and mass murder.
QatzelOk wrote:El Salvador and Peru have both known rightwing death squads and incredible racism. I don't know a lot of Cuba economic refugees in Montreal, but I have knows dozens of people from Peru and El Salvador who came here - to avoid being tortured, killed, or disappeared.

Maybe you hate Cubans so much that you are going out of your way to not see them? I highly doubt that you have not seen Cuban immigrants in Canada, specially because, after the US and Spain, Canada has the third-largest number of Cubans :eh: . Furthermore, Cuban immigrants are everywhere... including you guessed it.. Peru and El Salvador :lol: .

Do you think Cuba didn't have periods of brutality?
Fidel did the same shit
https://therealcuba.com/?page_id=55

Look at this image. 10+ people (at least 10 are visible, don't know if there are a couple hidden behind something) in an improvised raft that is probably about 3M long by 2M wide judging by the size of the people. If it is not desperation, fear and pain that caused these people to jump into the water with nothing else than this stupid unsafe "raft", without GPS, without a motor, etc... then I don't know what is. Every time you open your mouth (metaphorically, I do realize you are just writing) to utter the non-sense that you regularly say in this thread... you are basically saying that these people's pain is not real, that these people's suffering is not real, that these people's fear is not real. Families had put kids, even toddlers in rafts like this. Remember Elian Gonzalez? I do... I ended up going to a couple of protests in Cuba ("forced" by the government ofcourse)... he was a kid... his mother actually died. If you think that kind of desperation is not real... or some sort of "selfish greedy" nonsense excuse that you usually come up with... then honestly we are at an impasse. Because these people risked their lives, they risked not ever seeing whatever family they left in cuba, they gave up whatever they had back there for this. I don't think you get to claim that none of their sufferings is real, based on a couple of tourists visits that you happen to have enjoyed in Cuba. And if you do... well, you are fucking wrong.

@Rich Not for the dead.

"The United States last week secretly shipped[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]