Trump must abolish the notorious diversity visa program - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Godstud wrote:If you want others to follow your rules, then you have to follow your own. Common sense and what is "intuitively obvious" is entirely subjective. I find what you suggest to be quite contrary to what I'd consider common sense. It's common sense not to generalize about people of a culture/religion, etc.

Tightening up immigration policy is hardly a controversial idea Godstud. Also, I haven’t generalised any race or culture :hmm:
Sasa wrote: refugees are all from Muslim countries.
Countries at war because of US intervention. Need I say more?

- US intervention regarding Palestine.
- US supporting Israel with military weapons and money.
US interfered with Iranian elections, and assassinated a leader.
US bombed the shit out of Iraq... twice and left it in a shambles.
US fueled a rebellion in Syria...

US foreign policy in the Middle East has been abominable, to say the least.

The U.S. and the Middle East Since 1945 to 2008
https://www.thoughtco.com/us-and-middle ... 45-2353681

“Ancient History”: U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention
https://www.cato.org/publications/polic ... tervention

The list is quite long and the reasons to hate America are quite valid for those peoples.

ness31 wrote:Tightening up immigration policy is hardly a controversial idea Godstud.
US and Canada already have extremely tight immigration policies. A typical wait time for a Syrian refugee, for instance, is at least 17 months, during which they are thoroughly checked out. That's why when the US said they wouldn't take some of the refugees that they had veted, Canada said they'd take them(already checked out, so why not?).

Sasa wrote:Have you heard "no-go" zones in the UK, similarly in Australia it's well known robbing often happens in Muslim areas where people are afraid of.
There are "no go zones" in every country, and it often has more to do with poverty than with religion. I'd avoid the downtown eastside(East Hastings) in Vancouver, for instance. There are places in Baltimore and Chicago where you'd be foolish to visit.

Sasa wrote:While you finally acknowledged the fact Muslims are hating America...
Yes, and those are not the Muslims who are moving TO America.No one in their right mind would move to a country that they hate.

Sasa wrote:You obviously knows nothing about Buddhism, and simply assuming all religions are the same.
I know about Buddhism(I live in a Buddhist country- Thailand), but people are shaped by what happens to them. If you bombed Buddhists they'd hate you in a real jiffy, too. If you went in and stole their oil and resources, you'd run into the same problems.

Sasa wrote:A typical Buddhism country, Japan, no need to say, most liked in the world.
I have to remind you that they weren't liked 60 years ago, and some countries still hate them, for that?

Sasa wrote:Your ignorance & consequential successful brainwashing made you believe Muslims got hated because of the US military force.
People in those countries hate America because of what they do to their countries. That doesn't mean they hate individual Americans. Those placards say "Death to America", not "Death to Americans".

It's like me. I hate Israel, but I'd hold no animosity towards any Israeli, because they aren't their state.

Sasa wrote:Well Japan was too occupied by US and even now large US bases are still there. Can you please make Japan the next middle east?
The US never left Japan. They are still there, to this day. Japan was not raped of its resources by the USA, but assisted. You cannot compare what USA did in Japan, to what they did in Iraq. There's abolutely no comparison. Different intent, and execution.
US and Canada already have extremely tight immigration policies. A typical wait time for a Syrian refugee, for instance, is at least 17 months, during which they are thoroughly checked out. That's why when the US said they wouldn't take some of the refugees that they had veted, Canada said they'd take them(already checked out, so why not?).

So here’s where I see a good dose of common sense could be applied -

There are already more than the designated quota of applicants banging to get in the door. Why does the US need a special program just to keep their population diverse? Can’t those lucky folk just get sourced from the hordes already trying to enter?

Programs cost a lot of money and it wouldn’t hurt to streamline things a bit. A lottery on immigration lol, never were truer words spoken..
Last edited by ness31 on 22 Dec 2017 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote:Countries at war because of US intervention. Need I say more?

- US intervention regarding Palestine.
- US supporting Israel with military weapons and money.
US interfered with Iranian elections, and assassinated a leader.
US bombed the shit out of Iraq... twice and left it in a shambles.
US fueled a rebellion in Syria...

US foreign policy in the Middle East has been abominable, to say the least.

The U.S. and the Middle East Since 1945 to 2008
https://www.thoughtco.com/us-and-middle ... 45-2353681

“Ancient History”: U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention
https://www.cato.org/publications/polic ... tervention

The list is quite long and the reasons to hate America are quite valid for those peoples.

There are "no go zones" in every country, and it often has more to do with poverty than with religion. I'd avoid the downtown eastside(East Hastings) in Vancouver, for instance. There are places in Baltimore and Chicago where you'd be foolish to visit.

Yes, and those are not the Muslims who are moving TO America.No one in their right mind would move to a country that they hate.

I know about Buddhism(I live in a Buddhist country- Thailand), but people are shaped by what happens to them. If you bombed Buddhists they'd hate you in a real jiffy, too. If you went in and stole their oil and resources, you'd run into the same problems.

I have to remind you that they weren't liked 60 years ago, and some countries still hate them, for that?

People in those countries hate America because of what they do to their countries. That doesn't mean they hate individual Americans. Those placards say "Death to America", not "Death to Americans".

It's like me. I hate Israel, but I'd hold no animosity towards any Israeli, because they aren't their state.

The US never left Japan. They are still there, to this day. Japan was not raped of its resources by the USA, but assisted. You cannot compare what USA did in Japan, to what they did in Iraq. There's abolutely no comparison. Different intent, and execution.

You don't need to list what US force has done in middle east, I always call for the withdraw from middle east (AND the same for financial aids), which the Democrats strongly oppose.

You know Muslims areas are always related to poverty (even after they moved to a rich country) but still refuse to rethink why.

It's naive to say Muslims moving to the US don't hate the US. You want to be scolded since the NYC bomber just arrested this month? They just take advantage of the resources of the country and keep loyal to their IS and of course Allah.

The Buddhism you exposed to in Thailand is not the pure philosophy of Buddhism but a religious form. Nevertheless still far from being called a cult. There's no god in Buddhism thus nobody to worship.

"Some countries" hate Japan? OMG would you like to make it clear : China & North Korea?

A person with normal level of IQ is unlikely to "hate America", as a universal rule.

Japan was totally crushed by the US, the only country experienced nuclear attacked, don't shun it. Why don't Japanese people hate America? cos they are smart enough to know they have to be allied with America and quickly became a most liked nation in the world (well except for your lively communist brothers).

The liberal brainwashing you received make you unable to think those stuff in a rational way.

I don't think there are good/bad people in the world (they just appear good/bad). Ultimately it's the brilliant people make you feel they are good guys (e.g. Americans/Japanese)

If you are a teenager, forget about what I said, which is too hard for you.
Sasa wrote:You know Muslims areas are always related to poverty (even after they moved to a rich country) but still refuse to rethink why.
Right. Dubai, Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, etc. so fucking poor. :roll: Got another strawman for me?

Sasa wrote:The Buddhism you exposed to in Thailand is not the pure philosophy of Buddhism but a religious form. Nevertheless still far from being called a cult. There's no god in Buddhism thus nobody to worship.
It's different but it's still Buddhism. They don't worship gods but ask for help from "Buddhas"(people who have attained spiritual enlightenment).

Saying it's not Buddhism, is simply wrong. That'd be like saying Protestantism isn't Christian.

Sasa wrote:The liberal brainwashing you received make you unable to think those stuff in a rational way.
:roll: Don't be an ass. I am neither brain-washed nor am I some fluff-brained SJW. If you haven't an argument just say so.

Sasa wrote:"Some countries" hate Japan? OMG would you like to make it clear : China & North Korea?
Do you happen to remember WW2? No? You'll find older Thais who hate the Japanese. Saying they are loved the world over is quite false. Yes... Chinese and Korean people don't have a lot of love for Japan, due to their histories. History matters.

Sasa wrote:Japan was totally crushed by the US, the only country experienced nuclear attacked, don't shun it. Why don't Japanese people hate America? cos they are smart enough to know they have to be allied with America and quickly became a most liked nation in the world (well except for your lively communist brothers).
Yes, because America rebuilt Japan. They pumped $billions into Japan. America did no such thing to Iraq.

They fucked them over then abandoned them after they found they couldn't get the rights to all the oil(China and Russia got them). Had they done the same thing to Japan, things might have turned out drastically different, but they had the Marshall Plan for Japan. They had no plan for Iraq.

Sasa wrote:A person with normal level of IQ is unlikely to "hate America", as a universal rule.
An Ad Hominem, and a poor tactic in any debate. Lots of very intelligent people hate America. Hatred is earned, after all. Your opinion on this is puerile.

You could argue that any person who 'hates' is dumb, by that reasoning

Sasa wrote:If you are a teenager, forget about what I said, which is too hard for you.
:lol: You're closer than I am to being a teenager.
Godstud wrote:Right. Dubai, Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, etc. so fucking poor. :roll: Got another strawman for me?

It's different but it's still Buddhism. They don't worship gods but ask for help from "Buddhas"(people who have attained spiritual enlightenment).

Saying it's not Buddhism, is simply wrong. That'd be like saying Protestantism isn't Christian.

:roll: Don't be an ass. I am neither brain-washed nor am I some fluff-brained SJW. If you haven't an argument just say so.

Do you happen to remember WW2? No? You'll find older Thais who hate the Japanese. Saying they are loved the world over is quite false. Yes... Chinese and Korean people don't have a lot of love for Japan, due to their histories. History matters.

Yes, because America rebuilt Japan. They pumped $billions into Japan. America did no such thing to Iraq.

They fucked them over then abandoned them after they found they couldn't get the rights to all the oil(China and Russia got them). Had they done the same thing to Japan, things might have turned out drastically different, but they had the Marshall Plan for Japan. They had no plan for Iraq.

An Ad Hominem, and a poor tactic in any debate. Lots of very intelligent people hate America. Hatred is earned, after all. Your opinion on this is puerile.

Apparently you are lying Thai people don't worship gods? You know how they "say hi"?
I don't want to debate which is "real Buddhism", just say the religious Buddhism you see deviated from its original philosophy taught by Buddha himself. This makes Buddhism distinct from either Christian or Muslim.

Seriously you are too young to discuss religions here.
Thais hate Japanese? South East Asia is the most pro-Japanese area, you can speak Japanese in tourism spots and they'd reply in Japanese. The only anti-Japanese countries are the two communist buddies. In terms of South Korea, if you do travel to Korea, you'd find Japanese products are pretty popular and most people know more or less Japanese, besides Korean and Japanese citizens can travel to each other's country visa-free, OMG what an anti-Japan nation.

Your liberal ideology determines you never wish to rethink what you were told: US force never crushed Japan even after nuclear attacks. It's just because Japanese are "lucky people" - yes lucky enough to be nucleared.

Japan has long been the strongest nation in Asia long before WWII. History taught us a brilliant people, thrived in whatever condition vice versa. If Japan won the war in 1945 you'd say it's so advanced since it's never been invaded. After they were nucleared, you'd say they were not fucked serious enough, right.

Conclusion: clever people are always lucky, which I agree, lucky to be clever.
Let ignorant Muslims suffer, under your donations not my tax.
Sasa wrote:Apparently you are lying Thai people don't worship gods? You know how they "say hi"?
Swasdee Krab. It's "good luck", in Thai. The Dee part is "right", or good" Don't call me a liar. I live in Thailand and have been for over 5 years. I'll tell you straight up what is and isn't so.

http://thailandgeneralinfo.blogspot.com ... asdee.html

Sasa wrote:I don't want to debate which is "real Buddhism", just say the religious Buddhism you see deviated from its original philosophy taught by Buddha himself. This makes Buddhism distinct from either Christian or Muslim.
Buddhism has its sects just like Islam and Christianity. Theravada Buddhism is what the Thai people practice.

Sasa wrote:Thais hate Japanese?
I said some. Japan wasn't kindly to the people of Thailand in WW2. Were you aware of this? The older ones remember.

Sasa wrote:After they were nucleared, you'd say they were not fucked serious enough, right.
2 cities destroyed was not "fucked". The entire infrastructure of the country wasn't destroyed. The US pumped a great deal of cash, and effort, into Japan to make sure Japan would never be like that again. It payed dividends. The US was not willing to do the same in Iraq. That's simply fact. It was a different animal from Iraq, as well, due to cultural, geographic, and historical differences.

Sasa wrote:clever people are always lucky, which I agree, lucky to be clever.
Clever people are not always lucky, but clever people often take advantage of opportunies that a not so clever person might miss.

I retired at age 44, and live in Thailand. Am I lucky, clever, or a bit of both?

Sasa wrote:Let ignorant Muslims suffer, under your donations not my tax.
oh boo hoo. Cry me some tears... :*( You pay an insignificant amount to help people less fortunate than yourself.
Godstud wrote:Right. Dubai, Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, etc. so fucking poor. :roll: Got another strawman for me?

You know very "intelligent people" hating America. sounds you've had the potential of a terrorist.
I can't understand any "intelligent people" would hate the most advanced democracy on this planet.
Admittedly I'm not intelligent enough to be hired by ISIS.

Presumably Japanese were just like me who found no logical reason to hate America, whereas you understand Muslims more.
Sasa wrote:You know very "intelligent people" hating America. sounds you've had the potential of a terrorist.
If you want to call me a terrorist because I don't agree with every stupid thing you say, then go back to your world of warcraft forum, and 4chan. It's childish.

Sasa wrote:I can't understand any "intelligent people" would hate the most advanced democracy on this planet.
You don't appear to be that intelligent, so I am not surprised that you cannot understand how intelligent people think.

USA is NOT the most advanced democracy on the planet. You're simply arrogant and think USA is the best at everything. It's not. It's time to face the facts:

USA doesn't even make it into the top 10.
Norway leads the Index as the world's strongest democracy, followed by Iceland and Sweden. New Zealand comes fourth, with Denmark in fifth and Canada and Ireland in joint sixth place.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/ ... mocracies/

Sasa wrote:Presumably Japanese were just like me who found no logical reason to hate America, whereas you understand Muslims more.
I am sure if you talked to Japanese people 50 or 60 years ago you would have found a great many who disliked/hated America. It's now been 70 years since WW2. Have some perspective.

The USA is still fucking around in the Middle East, to this day. There is no comparison between modern Japan and the Middle East. To imply such is ridiculous.
Godstud wrote:USA is NOT the most advanced democracy on the planet. You're simply arrogant and think USA is the best at everything.

Given that our constitution is almost 250 years old and written for a completely different time, place, and culture, while most other democracies have been built in a much later date, I don't know how anyone would assume that it is "the most advanced"... it is essentially ancient, and we spend an inordinate amount of time arguing what the various words in it mean. It is that unclear, unfocused, out of date, and irrelevant to modern government.

It does have the attribute of being written to be replaced... we just never could get to a point to actually do that.
Sasa wrote:Having college background doesn't mean to meet US skilled immigration requirements, which you obviously underrate. I wonder which terrorist graduated from a credited US university with PhD degree, can you tell me one?

As long as we agree that you were wrong when you claimed that terrorists are not capable of getting STEM degrees from US universities.

I told you over and over again, once unskilled migrant programs are stopped, more places can be used for highly skilled ones, no idea why it's so hard for you to understand:
Currently 17% highly skilled migrants, if we cut all the rest (83%) while double the skilled scheme, it's still 34% of the current immigration level (less net immigrants), but faster for talented people to gain greencards.

You can increase the number of STEM grad immigrants without lowering the diversity vusa numbers.

You can also get rid of the diversity program without increasing the number of STEM grad visas.

The promote of diversity itself is misleading. The "multiculturalism" an alternative term of self-segregation, a more divided society. Over time people need to converge rather than diverge boasting their "ancestral traditions". Some authorities have been rethinking the impact of multiculturalism rather than recklessly promoting it.

Too bad, because ethnic diversity is going to rise in developed countries for the foreseeable future.
Godstud wrote:If you want to call me a terrorist because I don't agree with every stupid thing you say, then go back to your world of warcraft forum, and 4chan. It's childish.

You don't appear to be that intelligent, so I am not surprised that you cannot understand how intelligent people think.

USA is NOT the most advanced democracy on the planet. You're simply arrogant and think USA is the best at everything. It's not. It's time to face the facts:

USA doesn't even make it into the top 10.
Norway leads the Index as the world's strongest democracy, followed by Iceland and Sweden. New Zealand comes fourth, with Denmark in fifth and Canada and Ireland in joint sixth place.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/ ... mocracies/

I am sure if you talked to Japanese people 50 or 60 years ago you would have found a great many who disliked/hated America. It's now been 70 years since WW2. Have some perspective.

The USA is still fucking around in the Middle East, to this day. There is no comparison between modern Japan and the Middle East. To imply such is ridiculous.

You underrated me, again.
I can't easily assert "you are a terrorist". Even if you hold anti-America opinions, doesn't mean you have the courage to conduct an attack, realistically. All I wanted to say is, you have a shared view with ISIS fighters from the west: US is a evil nation, having destroyed so many countries across the world; Muslims as well as their religion are innocent, their countries are victims of US military forces;
Like you said I'm not intelligent enough to be mobilized by Anti-America propaganda.
The advancement depends on how you define it. From my point of view, I don't think Norway or New Zealand are the most advanced (in terms of science& technology). A easy way to see how great a certain nation is, just think what happens if a nation never exist? We'd have no computer/Internet/lighting(the list goes on) if USA doesn't exist. What if Japan doesn't exist: we have no Walkman/Nintendo/Playstation today. What if there's no China, the worst case is we buy more expensive cloth/shoes. What if Norway/New Zealand never exist? No difference probably. It's nothing to do with arrogance just the reality, like it or not.

You lack the history of Japan and never being in Japan thus assume Japanese people should be like Muslims. Having worked in Japan, I can tell you Japanese people at the time didn't hate America, their culture told them to always learn and respect advanced nations. If you don't know this point, you never understand how Japan quickly became a first world nation, but attribute everything to their "luck", while those shitty refugee source countries keep "hating" Americans/westerners for a century.
Zagadka wrote:Given that our constitution is almost 250 years old and written for a completely different time, place, and culture, while most other democracies have been built in a much later date, I don't know how anyone would assume that it is "the most advanced"... it is essentially ancient, and we spend an inordinate amount of time arguing what the various words in it mean. It is that unclear, unfocused, out of date, and irrelevant to modern government.

It does have the attribute of being written to be replaced... we just never could get to a point to actually do that.

Like any country in the world, USA is not perfect, but still the strongest and the only world leader today, period.
Just use your brain, if US is not the most advanced, how could it attract most talented people globally, why don't those top scientist/engineers go to Norway/New Zealand?
@Sasa I disagree with you. That is no reason for name-calling and making absolutely stupid assertions.

I don't HATE America, in the first place, so you can stop with that bullshit. I hate American foreign policy. I can point out the crap America has done in the world, and why they have problems because of it. If you can't get your head around that, then please just stop responding to me and calling names because you can't form an argument.

America is NOT the greatest country in the world. America is the most POWERFUL nation in the world, but it's not the best. You make assertions to that end, but when I provide evidence to the contrary, you lash out at me, personally, because you can't argue the point.

Reality: (start at 1:20)

Trump is making America WORSE, not better.

Sasa wrote:I spiritually support the US because I'm clear that the civilization we enjoy today is defended by the US.
USA is not Team America World Police. Spiritually? Realistically it is not. It does not dictate any other major countries in the world. Australia and Canada defend their own civilizations. So do most other countries.
Godstud wrote:@Sasa I disagree with you. That is no reason for name-calling and making absolutely stupid assertions.

I don't HATE America, in the first place, so you can stop with that bullshit. I hate American foreign policy. I can point out the crap America has done in the world, and why they have problems because of it. If you can't get your head around that, then please just stop responding to me and calling names because you can't form an argument.

America is NOT the greatest country in the world. America is the most POWERFUL nation in the world, but it's not the best. You make assertions to that end, but when I provide evidence to the contrary, you lash out at me, personally, because you can't argue the point.

Reality: (start at 1:20)

Trump is making America WORSE, not better.

USA is not Team America World Police. Spiritually? Realistically it is not. It does not dictate any other major countries in the world. Australia and Canada defend their own civilizations. So do most other countries.

Sorry not so sure, if you hate America's foreign policy, is it called an anti-America sentiment? You may not "hate" the US (I don't know since I'm not you), but it feels like that.

What is "greatest"? the term itself is subjective, no need to discuss, it's just like asking "which women is most lively". It makes more sense to say who is technologically advanced for example.

Do not underrate the extremely close cooperation in military & intelligence between US and Australia.
Someone (the liberals) may laugh when I say "US is defending the civilization", which I know is politically incorrect. The correct way is our nation is able to defend ourselves, which everyone can say.
But face the reality, what if the US collapses tomorrow? The forces of Russia & China would easily dominate the rest of world, unless you tell me it's all right even Youbute/Google/Facebook are all blocked.
Sasa wrote: You may not "hate" the US (I don't know since I'm not you), but it feels like that.
Please address facts, not feelings. You don't need to be a typical conservative where feelings are more important than facts.

Sasa wrote: It makes more sense to say who is technologically advanced for example.
Yes, but the USA is not necessarily the most advanced democracy, and I demonstrated that. It has many equals when it comes to technology, as well.

Sasa wrote:Someone (the liberals) may laugh when I say "US is defending the civilization", which I know is politically incorrect. The correct way is our nation is able to defend ourselves, which everyone can say.
Anyone who isn't American is going to laugh at "US is defending the civilization". USA is one of many civilizations on the earth, and it isn't the best.

Sasa wrote:But face the reality, what if the US collapses tomorrow?
Reality? The reality is that it won't. Playing "What if" scenarios is pointless.

Sasa wrote:The forces of Russia & China would easily dominate the rest of world
Right... because the rest of the strong countries on earth are going to disappear at the same time. :roll: Umm... No. This is fantasy fear-mongering .
Godstud wrote:Please address facts, not feelings. You don't need to be a typical conservative where feelings are more important than facts.

Yes, but the USA is not necessarily the most advanced democracy, and I demonstrated that. It has many equals when it comes to technology, as well.

Anyone who isn't American is going to laugh at "US is defending the civilization". USA is one of many civilizations on the earth, and it isn't the best.

Reality? The reality is that it won't. Playing "What if" scenarios is pointless.

Right... because the rest of the strong countries on earth are going to disappear at the same time. :roll: Umm... No. This is fantasy fear-mongering .

How can I show a "fact" of how you think about America? A fact I observed is you haven't yet conducted any terrorism, fair enough?

US is the strongest nation in terms of science and technology fields in general, which is widely accepted, though you have your right to hold your dissent, which is fine.

I know US won't collapse tomorrow and we are safe enough for now, that's just a hypothesis used to tell you how important the existence of US to the world. Would you like to say your Canadian military force can beat Russia & China?

I bet China collapses earlier than the US.
Sasa wrote:A fact I observed is you haven't yet conducted any terrorism, fair enough?
Why do you say such stupid fucking shit? You haven't raped any children that I know of, fair enough? Do you want to keep talking shitty like that, or have an actual discussion?

Sasa wrote:Would you like to say your Canadian military force can beat Russia & China? You think Canada would be at threat from Russia?
LOL Have you ever heard of the Commonwealth? How about NATO? Canada has a vast array of allies. No country can survive alone, and Canada knows this.

Canada has no beefs with Russia or China, so your fear-mongering and scenarios are hilarious. No. Canada is not at threat from Russia. It's a silly suggestion.

Sasa wrote:I bet China collapses earlier than the US.
I am sure many people would disagree with you, as China doesn't have military bases all over the world, and so doesn't need to spend a fortune to maintain their foreign interests. It's unlikely either country will "collapse", anyways.

Yours is not history, just tinfoil-hat nonsense[…]

That was weird

I was watching the evening news, and they were cov[…]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2xXMrwU[…]

I define my terms very clearly and very simply. S[…]