I love hicks - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By SolarCross
Tainari88 wrote:QatzelOk, when one studies rural people in Latin America meat is a rarity eaten for special occassions only. It is rare to eat meat even once a week in many towns in Latin America. Mostly due to poverty and that farm animals are expensive to buy and they are far more valuable as a source for eggs, milk and butter than for meat that once consumed you don't get again.

Right, this is the difference between a "vegetarian" hick and a vegetarian hippy. A hick is vegetarian if he is down on his luck, because better veg than dead. For a hippy, vegetarianism a life style choice and a means of displaying penance and signalling virtue. Hicks are practical people, hippies are ideological.
By QatzelOk
SolarCross wrote:Right, this is the difference between a "vegetarian" hick and a vegetarian hippy. A hick is vegetarian if he is down on his luck, because better veg than dead. For a hippy, vegetarianism a life style choice and a means of displaying penance and signalling virtue. Hicks are practical people, hippies are ideological.

Here, you are trying to limit people's options by suggesting that there are only these narrow lifestyle-options that everyone must chose from.

This is neither hick nor hippy. Your logic is the logic of a status quo oligarchy that seeks to keep its slaves in narrow corrals in order to herd them better.

For me, the word "hick" is simply the late modern word for the tradtional peasant lifestyle that preceded modernity. It has been written in history books that Quebec, Acadia, and the Metis part of Western Canada, were all peasant paradises. It should be noted that two of these cultures have since been ethnic-cleansed by urbanites and their paid mercenaries.

There's nothing a slave master hates more than a self-sufficient peasant. And European culture was founded on slavery (Greece).

Suntzu wrote:I think I might be a hick. I can slaughter a hog, kill a chicken, milk a cow (or goat). 8)

That's fantastic, Suntzu!

Now imagine if you lived in a place where hicks met every week to discuss farming techniques, homeopathic medicine, and child-rearing, and then had a huge drunken orgy with lots of talented musicians.

Now imagine you lived in a nation-state that did everything to make your lifestyle better and more sustainable.

Note: you don't live in this place yet.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:So your mixing "Cuban" and "hick" suggests that you have an opinion about Cuba which I don't share.

I have an opinion about you and Cuba, or rather hicks and hick life in Cuba or anywhere else, which you also don't share I guess.
By SolarCross
QatzelOk wrote:Here, you are trying to limit people's options by suggesting that there are only these narrow lifestyle-options that everyone must chose from.

This is neither hick nor hippy. Your logic is the logic of a status quo oligarchy that seeks to keep its slaves in narrow corrals in order to herd them better.

For me, the word "hick" is simply the late modern word for the tradtional peasant lifestyle that preceded modernity. It has been written in history books that Quebec, Acadia, and the Metis part of Western Canada, were all peasant paradises. It should be noted that two of these cultures have since been ethnic-cleansed by urbanites and their paid mercenaries.

There's nothing a slave master hates more than a self-sufficient peasant. And European culture was founded on slavery (Greece).

^ hippy confirmed

QatzelOk wrote:Now imagine if you lived in a place where hicks met every week to discuss farming techniques, homeopathic medicine, and child-rearing, and then had a huge drunken orgy with lots of talented musicians.

^ hippy doubleplus confirmed

Real hicks lynch perverts
By QatzelOk
Beren wrote:I have an opinion about you and Cuba, or rather hicks and hick life in Cuba or anywhere else, which you also don't share I guess.

Jineteros:The young, attractive guys lingering in urban parks and public shopping areas in Cuban big cities are not hick. In fact, they represent the most accessible version of "urban fake."

See, all the smiles, nice clothing, and warm greetings... are just a way to make money off of you. These people fake empathy in order to obtain resources without really producing anything.

Their smiles and trendy clothing are like the fake charms and contrived empathy of TV commercials. The whole idea is to con someone into giving money for well-branded "assistance." And the fear of being conned is what drives urban irony and anti-social behavior.

SolarCross wrote:Real hicks lynch perverts

Redneck hicks from America were following contrived versions of Christianity and Judaism that were formulated in big cities by very cynical businessmen. This is part of what destroyed peasant life in North America.

Today, Redneck hicks from America watch big-city TV and listen to big-city radio. These narratives were invented to control hicks, not to facilitate the evolution of their lifestyle.
By SolarCross
QatzelOk wrote:Redneck hicks from America were following contrived versions of Christianity and Judaism that were formulated in big cities by very cynical businessmen. This is part of what destroyed peasant life in North America.

Today, Redneck hicks from America watch big-city TV and listen to big-city radio. These narratives were invented to control hicks, not to facilitate the evolution of their lifestyle.

Hicks have been hanging perverts since long before jeebus made hanging perverts cool.

Question: How does a hippy pervert cure STDs using homeopathy?
By QatzelOk
SolarCross wrote:Hicks have been hanging perverts since long before jeebus made hanging perverts cool.

Question: How does a hippy pervert cure STDs using homeopathy?

Because French-Canadian hicks mixed with the First Nations, they were able to get rid of their tribalized-christian ignorance towards sexuality and sociology.

Mixing with other nations of hicks can lift peasant life up from the shackles of tribalism. But in the USA, businessmen drove a stake between the alienated hicks they imported (often poor farmers with terrible social skills) and the other nations they came into contact with here in the Americas.

Thus, the resulting ignorance isn't "hick" at all. it's been programmed by cynical urbanites.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:Jineteros:The young, attractive guys lingering in urban parks and public shopping areas in Cuban big cities are not hick.

And who talks about them? However, it could be easier for you to have a mutual understanding with them, if they are gay, than with hicks.
By QatzelOk
Beren wrote:And who talks about them? However, it could be easier for you to have a mutual understanding with them, if they are gay, than with hicks.

Gay hustlers are much easier to approach (as a client for their services) but much less satisfying long-term partners than a gay hick. Once again, you have tried to brand hicks as "non-gay" in a way to limit the discussion to tropes you are familiar with. (remember this?)

Maybe we need a clear taxonomy of hickdom.

HICK...............HUSTLER
jibaro.......................jinetero
farming.................office bureaucrat
fishing...................factory worker
bicycles.................cars
horses...................SUVs, trucks
street gossip..........television
hello......................social media
involvement............ownership
community..............gang
production................consumption
nature.....................policing
creativity.................plotting
cooperation...............competition
Rousseau................Hobbes
philosophy................technology
simmer.....................stir briskly
Last edited by QatzelOk on 18 Feb 2018 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:Gay hustlers are much easier to approach (as a client for their services) but much less satisfying long-term partners than a gay hick. Once again, you have tried to brand hicks as "non-gay" in a way to limit the discussion to tropes you are familiar with. (remember this?)

Maybe we need a clear taxonomy of hickdom.

Well Qatz, it's quite probable that your gayness would be less appreciated in any hickdom on earth than in the city of Montreal.
By QatzelOk
Beren wrote:Well Qatz, it's quite probable that your gayness would be less appreciated in any hickdom on earth than in the city of Montreal.

Yes, I'm a minority.

Like black lesbians who have mobiilty issues and are 80% blind, we are all frail little survivors who need tramways and elevators, anonymous stockbrokers walking by or gliding by in SUVs, and noise pollution. We need this life because it's been marketed to us as some kind of nirvana. And we're marketed as some kind of hospital patient with special needs. Special Olympians all.

But it's really just malls and circuses, with very little real community in which to evolve. That's why our urban society is stuck in the 19th and 20th Century: factories and war profiteers do well in them.

But they have to trick hicks into funding the industrial economy and dying in all of their cynical urban wars.

Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, and several other leaders throughout history have realized that cities live parasitically off the environment and lead to damaged people who couldn't do good even if they tried. The urban system is about crowd control and not about social evolution. Like the suburban form, the city was created for financial interests and not as the best life for a human animal.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:Yes, I'm a minority.

Among others, but it's just one thing that makes you urban rather than a hick. Believe it or not anarcho-primitivist worldview and negative feelings towards contemporary socioeconomic conditions and urbanism don't make someone like you a hick. Hicks don't even care about such things, or Rousseau. They do so in your fantasies perhaps.
By QatzelOk
Beren wrote:Among others, but it's just one thing that makes you urban rather than a hick. Believe it or not anarcho-primitivist worldview and negative feelings towards contemporary socioeconomic conditions and urbanism don't make someone like you a hick. Hicks don't even care about such things, or Rousseau. They do so in your fantasies perhaps.

The same percentage of hicks are gay as are non-hicks (hustlers).

All humans need food, water, air, and other amenities, no matter what the identity politics (tribe).

And Rousseau doesn't care if hicks care about him. He simply states that the natural, unfake lifestyle is healthier. He wasn't seeking maximum fame.

Stop urban-parasiting the thread to the edge of tears.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:Stop urban-parasiting the thread to the edge of tears.

People are on the edge of tears here only if they can't stop laughing imagining you as a hick. :lol:
By Crantag
So in Hong Wu's Decadent Rome paradigm from that other thread, who are the hustlers? And who are the hicks?

I guess the urban parasites are pretty easy to place. It sort of comes together a tad bit.
By snapdragon
I don't love hicks or their creepy surroundings. I don't even like them.
By Pants-of-dog
QatzelOk wrote:Because French-Canadian hicks mixed with the First Nations, ....

This is factually incorrect.
By Tainari88
Everyone should read Homo Sapiens by Harari. The Israeli historian. It explains with a lot of detail how agricultural societies emerged in human history and what role they play in economics and how cities evolved with agricultural evolution. It is very interesting how human beings were finally 'domesticated' by having to babysit crops and store grains and vegetables, fruits, etc in large quantities instead of being hunter gatherers and foragers as their ancestors once were. How cities came from the division of labor.

All this hick vs urban makes sense when one sees how economic superstructures emerge and why they are reinforced or destroyed. Fascinating.

The reality is that most of Latin America for example is urban now. About 80% of all of the Latin American nations' citizens' are living in cities.

Why? Mostly how the economy is changing and has changed over time. It is interesting.

I like Q talking about how urban needs forms people's beliefs, habits and how they are fed 'messages'. It is the reality. For people to believe in urban living as the way to go and the best life? It has to be sold to them. Most human beings are lovers of open air, freedom, nature. Yet how they adapt to urban realities? It is very interesting.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Even the Americans know they are an empire. Mar[…]

...Russia will conquer Ukraine. You will be happ[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Hamas massacred and kidnapped hundreds in October[…]

Supposedly Iran sent information on their attack […]