Donald Trump's Korea triumph should earn him the Nobel Peace Prize - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Only weeks after WW3 doom mongering, "Donald Trump's Korea triumph should earn him the Nobel Peace Prize"

Donald Trump's Korea triumph should earn him the Nobel Peace Prize

By Daniel McCarthyPublished: 16:51 April 27, 2018
Image Credit: Bloomberg
The Nobel Committee has something of a fetish for awarding the Peace Prize to centre-left American politicians, regardless of merit. At least former US president Jimmy Carter had involved himself in decades of peace initiatives, however futile most proved to be, when he received the prize in 2002. Former US vice-president Al Gore, on the other hand, won the prize for his celebrity endorsement of climate-change doom-mongering.

In Barack Obama’s case in 2009, the rationale was weaker still: He had not even been in office a year and had achieved virtually nothing for the cause of peace during that time. But he was a symbol of hope to centre-left types around the world, who could not yet imagine the anarchy he would bring to Libya or the ceaseless wars he would wage with drones.

This year’s prize should go to an American leader who has earned it, for once: United States President Donald Trump. But will the Nobel Committee free itself from its ideological straitjacket to give it to him? Trump is everything that Obama was not. He is a man of the Right, not the Left. He is brash and intensely disliked by much of world opinion, especially elite opinion. Obama had a soft touch and was loved almost as greatly as Trump is despised. Yet, the only thing that should matter is what Trump has achieved, in contrast to what Obama did not.

If President Trump succeeds in negotiating an end to North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un’s nuclear provocations, he will have defused the most dangerous crisis the world faces at present. There is even a chance that Trump will help bring a non-violent conclusion to a war that has officially lasted 67 years. The North and South never came to a formal peace agreement in the Korean War and to this day have only an armistice to underwrite the ceasefire. Yet, now, Seoul and Pyongyang have begun moving towards treaty talks as part of the wider effort to resolve the nuclear impasse, with the South’s President Moon Jae-in meeting Kim for a historic summit yesterday.

An American president first won the Peace Prize in 1906, when Theodore Roosevelt received it for brokering peace in the Russo-Japanese War. What Trump is poised to accomplish on the Korean peninsula would be a far greater triumph of diplomacy. That will be so even if the result is something less than what the Trump administration has called for in its maximal demands: The denuclearisation of North Korea. Kim is unlikely to give up his weapons in any scenario, but world peace will be well-served if he simply stops further nuclear and ballistic tests and agrees to a non-proliferation framework.

Promising to pursue peace

That should certainly be good enough for the Nobel Committee. But the contrast between Trump and Obama suggests why it might not be. Obama came to power promising to pursue peace the Left-wing way, through humility and understanding. His demeanour counted for more than his record, which in 2009 was practically nonexistent. President Trump has used tough language and the threat of violence to change the calculus of war and peace in Korea. The method as much as the man may be unpalatable to the panel.

Even the diplomatic philosophy of Roosevelt a century ago — “Speak softly and carry a big stick” — may be too much for the committee. Trump’s approach of tweeting loudly, so to speak, while brandishing his stick can be counted on to be met with disapproval.

If the Peace Prize is to do any good in the world, however, it cannot be reserved for fashionable Left-wing figures and causes. Peace is a practical goal, not an unworldly ideal. The means to achieve peace, and the leaders who do it best, are not always pretty.

The Nobel Committee and the community of opinion that looks on the Peace Prize as an affirmation of liberal pieties may find Trump distasteful. Nevertheless, he is set to be the man most deserving of the honour. If that seems shocking, it is a shock that ought to prompt a rethink of how international relations really work. Decades of conventional diplomacy with North Korea only led to the Kim dynasty acquiring nuclear weapons and the missiles to deliver them between continents. To make peace demands a new approach, and President Trump has found one.
— The Telegraph Group Limited, London, 2018
Daniel McCarthy is an American political commentator.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ace-prize/
:lol:
For what???

For sending stupid tweets about starting a war?

Trump's done fuck all to facilitate peace between S. Korea and N. Korea and even went so far as to tell S. Korea not to meet with N. Korea.

You Trump fan-boys are hilarious!!! If he farted you'd say it was roses! :lol:
Zagadka wrote:I believe honoring Tillerson would be more accurate.

Or we could honor those who advised Tillerson, or we could honor those who taught those who advised Tillerson.
However, that is not what happens. The guy at the top gets the credit even though he is seldom the author of his accomplishments.
One Degree wrote:Or we could honor those who advised Tillerson, or we could honor those who taught those who advised Tillerson.

Oh, did Tillerson fire them for deviating from his path then take credit for their efforts?
noir wrote:It's all to do with the president. Tillerson uder Obama would achieve nothing. The crazy of the world simply response to no nonsense attitude of Trump.

Just to be absolutely clear here. Today, as things stand, Trump has achieved nothing as he has yet to meet Kim. So if we are to give credit for achieving "fuck all", I would be grateful if people would include me in their praise too. I could do with a million pound prize.

Thanks in advance.
From what I gather, and I've been only following it tangentially:

1. Donald Trump initially sought to humiliate Xina by promising certain things involving the South China Sea if they could get North Korea to yield. This resulted in an embarrassment for Xina and Winnie The Pooh, with American warships barreling through the South China Sea soon after.
2. After the nuclear button tweets, Russia reaching some agreement or the other with North Korea over a pipeline to South Korea (not sure how this panned out), and some grumbling from South Korea, it turns out that Kim Jung-un had a high-profile meeting with Winnie the Pooh in Xina, using a specialized train. Or so the speculation went.
3. Then we suddenly see South Korea taking the lead with North Korea. I got a distinct impression that they were sidelining Trump and the Americans, as they were probably rattled by the talk of war and perceived instability of the administration, with all the dismissals.

Feel free to correct me.
Kim DAE-jung got the Nobel peace prize in 2000 for “reconciliation with North Korea”.
I am not sure we should be considering anyone else for this dubious honor based upon Korea.
Thus far the arrangement between South Korea and North Korea is materially something we've already seen before, however the official peace deal (replacing the armistice) is formally a sign of progress. Of course nothing is settled yet. Not even in the slightest. All this talk about 'Nobel Peace Prizes' is premature and amateurish.
Well, it would at least be far more legitimate than when they gave it to Obama.

Looking around, I don't see many other bright spots to give the Peace prize to. Ending the Korean War would be a huge get, for Trump and for the world.

All this talk about 'Nobel Peace Prizes' is premature and amateurish.

I agree. But I am hopeful that the Koreas can, between them and with as little input from the US/China, find middle ground.
noir wrote::eh:

They gave the prize to you-know-who before he did anything.

Maybe they should go further and give it to one of the most hardcore dictators walking the earth too. Maybe they should have given it to Chamberlain and Hitler too after the Munich Agreement. Does anyone seriously believe Trump could or should get the prize without sharing it with Moon and Kim? The US government is negotiating with Kim Jong-un, which may be necessary but shouldn't be celebrated.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]