North Korea says it may withdraw from the talks... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un are due to meet on 12 June, but the arrangement has apparently been thrown into some doubt. North Korea says it may withdraw from the talks if the US unilaterally insists on it having to give up nuclear weapons. In an angry statement, the Pyongyang government accused US National Security Adviser John Bolton of harbouring "sinister" intentions, and described a "feeling of repugnance towards him".
North Korea has said it is committed to denuclearising the Korean peninsula, but it remains unclear what this would actually involve. On Wednesday, North Korea pulled out of talks scheduled with South Korea, angered by joint US-South Korea military drills.

BBC
North Korea has threatened to back out of a planned summit with the United States and President Donald Trump, according to a report from South Korea's Yonhap News Agency on Tuesday.

The North has said it might withdraw from the scheduled talks because the U.S. and South Korea carried out joint military drills. It was also reported that North Korea has canceled its planned talks with South Korea scheduled for Wednesday over drills it claimed were "a rehearsal for invasion of the North and a provocation amid warming inter-Korean ties," according to an article from Yonhap citing North Korean state media.

The upcoming summit—with plans to involve both North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Trump—is scheduled for June 12 in Singapore. The Washington Post's John Hudson tweeted that a State Department spokesman told him that "North Korea previously accepted the need of military exercises" and that the U.S. was still readying itself for the planned summit.

It was seen as a meeting with the chance to help bring peace but also involving a fair amount of risk. The North and the U.S. have traded provocations and threats for quite some time until recent improvements in the relationship.

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-cancel-trump-meeting-over-us-south-korea-military-drills-927480
anarchist23 wrote:In an angry statement, the Pyongyang government accused US National Security Adviser John Bolton of harbouring "sinister" intentions, and described a "feeling of repugnance towards him".

I'm pretty sure about 90% of the world shares these sentiments. :lol:
If they give up their weapons they are insane, the Americans will jump them and murder their way through Korean men, women and children once they defenseless. Look what they did to Iraq and Libya. Any free nation like North Korea (one of the world's few nations not run by Rothschild Zionists) needs to be armed to the teeth to stay free.
I don't believe Kim would agree to hand over their weapons to the US. If Bolton does insist on this, it's a way of scuttling the deal.

Perhaps the North Koreans could hand their nuclear weapons to the Chinese for safekeeping. Most of the stuff probably comes from China anyways. They can't possibly have developed it on their own. The same goes for their rocket technology.
I'd rather lower my expectations and expect North Korea to stop their nuclear tests if the US and SK stop holding military exercises, and maybe they would give up some of their missiles too if the US pulled out some of its military of SK, in which case a peace treaty would be possible as well. I'm sure they keep some of their nukes to be able to do tests anytime they feel necessary.
There is no reason for the US and South Korea to make any concessions to North Korea. This is ‘appeasement thinking’ that is the basis for all past foreign policy failures that is costing American taxpayers billions.
layman wrote:They should trade nuclear weapons for the departure of all American forces from Korea and Japan.

Seems like something both sides could call a win. It would also save both sides a lot of money.

That is a win for NK as they have China as an ally. I don't think SK is ready to give up on US security yet. Unfortunately that is a burden of over reliance of US security has on everyone.

The best result for me is to stop nuclear testing and peace for aid and a halt on military drills, with the offer of concessions with trade for the submission of nukes when Kim is ready. That would be a result and ultimately the only realistic outcome in my opinion.
@B0ycey no it isn’t realistic to expect them to trade security for money. It won’t happen.

The south actually has a superior military to the north and would arguably win as the north’s is so antiquated.

Even if not, it could easily hold them long enough for help to arrive. There is no reason to station American troops there. It’s more of a political act.

And don’t say China would help in an invasion. That is absurd.5
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]