Kids these days - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By anarchist23
Kids don't change from one generation to the next.
Hold on, that's not true. What about all these school shootings?
By Besoeker
anarchist23 wrote:Kids don't change from one generation to the next.

What about them?
The 1950s and 1960s had lots of school shootings. The 1970s have more than 30.
By skinster
SolarCross wrote:Ending compulsory public education?

Maybe ending the aspect of the culture that glorifies violence on TV and in the countries America and its allies are violently destroying and banning pharmaceutical companies that over-prescribe drugs to children and, yeah. Those two things...for now.
By MistyTiger
I think that public education gives kids a realistic feel of what the real world is like. In prep schools and homeschooling...they don't get to see the rougher side of life. I got a mix of both and I'm grateful that I wasn't too sheltered and thinking that life is smooth sailing. In public school, I saw more overt bullying and foul mouthed persons who would be expelled for their crudeness in private schools.

What I think it the real problem is that more than ever the film industry is glorifying violence and guns. There are so many computer games and internet games that are filled with violence. This all sends the message that violence is good and it's encouraged. Kids these days are mindless zombies and they don't think about consequences.
By Hong Wu
I may be reading into this too much but it may be indicative of the kinds of things I'm talking about.

First, relative to what Verv was writing, those guys don't look intimidating at all. Second, this "Yes Margaret?" person seems to believe that intimidation is a part of negotiation with your allies, or that you need "elite negotiators". The idea that a negotiation is about both parties coming away with something they like doesn't seem to have crossed this person's mind. Why not "our negotiators are super nice, you will love this deal?" I mean I'm not a salesman or anything but isn't that how it's usually done?
By SolarCross
MistyTiger wrote:What I think it the real problem is that more than ever the film industry is glorifying violence and guns. There are so many computer games and internet games that are filled with violence. This all sends the message that violence is good and it's encouraged. Kids these days are mindless zombies and they don't think about consequences.

On the other hand we as a species, especially males, are naturally violent so absent harmless ways to channel aggression like violent movies, games and sports we would find more people acting violent in the real world. For the most part video game players and the like are not out there committing violent crimes, rather it is those who don't play them who do that.

BTW - I think people who call kids mindless zombies are themselves mindless zombies.
skinster wrote:violently destroying and banning pharmaceutical companies that over-prescribe drugs to children

Definitely agree with this.

MistyTiger wrote:In prep schools and homeschooling...they don't get to see the rougher side of life. I got a mix of both and I'm grateful that I wasn't too sheltered and thinking that life is smooth sailing. In public school, I saw more overt bullying and foul mouthed persons who would be expelled for their crudeness in private schools.

Yeah, but you'll get fired for being crude in many jobs, so that is not really that unrealistic, lots of jobs have actual dress codes too. Under those two points alone private schools are probably far more realistic regarding employment.

Let me also say this, I was public schooled, all the way through and I home school and I do so mainly because the curriculum potential is far superior and the kids are statistically shown to be overwhelmingly better prepared for jobs and further education.

Public schools are turning out increasingly under-educated delinquents, this is not what homeschooling has been doing.

Do some homeschool kids make awkward jokes and dress a bit too formal? Sure. big whoop. They might get invited to less parties, but it definitely hasn't hurt their performance in work and school.

We just did our first standardized tests for my 8yr old 2nd grade son, he performed top 2% in the entire nation in his results, he is reading at an 11th grade reading level and doing math at a 5th grade level. He started latin in kindergarten and will do it all the way through and will have to master three other languages as well and starts logic in 6th grade.

He is also free-ranged with four siblings, believe me, he sees more bullying and blood than any public school kid. :lol:

Public school kids are getting pretty soft these days and are sheltered by mommy and daddy when they get home.

Plus, I don't have to worry about school shootings.

If it happened at the public school I went to (right down the street from where I live), my kids will be safe at home where they were getting their superior education.

To hell with all that "muh socialization," crap. thats a bunch of rubbish.

I also let them play violent games. My 8 year old is about to beat DOOM 4 :excited:
By Deutschmania
anarchist23 wrote:Kids don't change from one generation to the next.

I think that you'd seemingly be surprised by the long instances of school shootings in America , and the motives given for each . https://k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states I think that the only possible differences between then and now is that back then such occurrences were not so widely reported , and sensationalized , plus in addition the death tolls tended not to be so high , perhaps due to the AR -15 not being readily available to the civilian population .
By Red_Army
I agree with @Solarcross here. People talk about how kids these days are terrible pretending like my parent's generation didn't occupy themselves with vandalism, forest fires, and animal torture. Kids have always had negative impulses and the new avenues are not any worse than they ever have. Even more to the point if they were worse than previous generations whose fault is it? Children are raised by adults and that upbringing (which is 99% out of their control) is the big predictor for their behavior.
By Decky
If anything kids are less troublesome for society these days and the last generation, more time spent sitting on their arses playing games consoles and less time drinking taking drugs and commuting crimes like the baby boomers did (if you think this is better or worse is up to you).
By anarchist23
Deutschmania wrote:I think that you'd seemingly be surprised by the long instances of school shootings in America , and the motives given for each . https://k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states I think that the only possible differences between then and now is that back then such occurrences were not so widely reported , and sensationalized , plus in addition the death tolls tended not to be so high , perhaps due to the AR -15 not being readily available to the civilian population .

Heisenberg wrote:30 for the whole decade? Ah, simpler times.
There have been 23 in the first five months of 2018, according to CNN. :lol:

Using your link Heisenbergs comment is closer to the truth...

1960s
February 2, 1960 Hartford City, Indiana Principal Leonard Redden shot and killed two teachers with a shotgun at William Reed Elementary School in Hartford City, Indiana, before fleeing into a remote forest, where he committed suicide.
June 7, 1960 Blaine, Minnesota Lester Betts, a 40-year-old mail-carrier, walked into the office of 33-year-old principal Carson Hammond and shot him to death with a 12-gauge shotgun.
April 20, 1961 Chicago, Illinois Teacher Josephine Keane, 45, is sexually assaulted and stabbed to death inside a storeroom at Lewis-Champlin elementary school in Chicago. Lee Arthur Hester, a 14-year-old student, is later convicted of the murder and sentenced to 55 years in prison.
October 17, 1961 Denver, Colorado Tennyson Beard, 14, got into an argument with William Hachmeister, 15, at Morey Junior High School. During the argument Beard pulled out a .38 caliber revolver and shot at Hachmeister, wounding him. A stray bullet also struck Deborah Faith Humphrey, 14, who died from her gunshot wound.
August 1, 1966 University of Texas Massacre Charles Whitman climbs atop the observation deck at the University of Texas-Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31 during a 96-minute shooting rampage.
November 12, 1966 Mesa, Arizona Bob Smith, 18, took seven people hostage at Rose-Mar College of Beauty, a school for training beauticians. Smith ordered the hostages to lie down on the floor in a circle. He then proceeded to shoot them in the head with a 22-caliber pistol. Four women and a three-year-old girl died, one woman and a baby were injured but survived. Police arrested Smith after the massacre. Smith had reportedly admired Richard Speck and Charles Whitman.
January 30, 1968 Miami, Florida 16-year-old Blanche Ward shot and killed fellow student Linda Lipscomb, 16, with a .22-caliber pistol at Miami Jackson High School. According to Ward, she was threatened with a razor by Lipscomb during an argument over a fountain pen, and in the ensuing struggle the gun went off.
February 8, 1968 Orangeburg, South Carolina In the days leading up to February 8, 1968, about 200 mostly student protesters gathered on the campus of South Carolina State University, located in the city of Orangeburg, to protest the segregation of the All Star Bowling Lane. The bowling alley was owned by the late Harry K. Floyd. That night, students started a bonfire. As police attempted to put out the fire, an officer was injured by a thrown piece of banister. The police said they believed they were under attack by small weapons fire. The officers fired into the crowd, killing three young men: Samuel Hammond, Delano Middleton, and Henry Smith, and wounding twenty-seven others.
May 22, 1968 Miami, Florida Ernest Lee Grissom, a 15-year-old student at Drew Junior High School, shot and seriously wounded a teacher and a 13-year-old student after he had been reprimanded for causing a disturbance.
January 17, 1969 Los Angeles, California Two student members of the Black Panther Party, Alprentice Carter and John Huggins, were fatally shot during a student meeting inside Campbell Hall at the University of California, Los Angeles. The motive of the shooting regarded who would own the school's African American Studies Center. The shooter, Claude Hubert, was never to be found but three other men were arrested in connection with the shooting.
November 19, 1969 Tomah, Wisconsin Principal Martin Mogensen is shot to death in his office by a 14-year-old boy armed with a 20 gauge shotgun.
By One Degree
The US only had 180 million people in 1960. The population was more homogeneous. The country was just at the very beginning of abandoning conservative community values.
In short, the US of 1960 is not the same US today. Gun ownership however is less acceptable today.
Obviously school shootings are the result of cultural changes and not gun ownership changes. School shootings increasing coincide with increased acceptance of liberal values placing importance on the individual. Coincidence?
By Decky
The Unites States has always been about abandoning conservative values (loyalty to the monarchy, the state religion, strict control of weapons by the state etc). The American revolution is called a revolution for a reason.
By One Degree
Decky wrote:The Unites States has always been about abandoning conservative values (loyalty to the monarchy, the state religion, strict control of weapons by the state etc). The American revolution is called a revolution for a reason.

Good thing I said abandoning conservative community values. The 60’s in the US are recognized as the beginning of what I would call the individual over the community. A rejection of community values. I would assume this was also true of Britain. The terms used could be arguable, but the reality still remains.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Why do you think that? If you were[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]