Trumps separating Central American children from their parents. Is this acceptable? - Page 45 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Godstud wrote:Switzerland? :roll: They have their own problems, you numpty.

Switzerland’s immigration dilemma: what you need to know
https://www.thelocal.ch/20161206/switze ... ed-to-know

Poor countries like France, Italy, Austria and Germany? :lol: Your knowledge of geography is as bad as your knowledge of the problem.

A stable Mexico with great free public schools, a good tax base and uncorrupt courts, a well taxed Mexican elite and a lot less income inequality between the rich and the poor in Mexico and Central America are solutions. But that means not allowing thousands of USA companies to pay $36 bucks a week.to Mexican labor.

You allow less than $200 a month full time for Mexican workers, age discrimination, sexual harrassment, privileged corrupt people selling their resources to international capitalists who love paying nothing to workers and selling products at a large profit margin. China wants Mexican markets if Trump withdraws? Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador will do business with them.
Last edited by Tainari88 on 14 Jul 2018 05:21, edited 2 times in total.
I would like to ask Tianari88, exactly what it is that you would have the US do? Even if I grant that the US was responsible for some chicanery in Central and South America, what can it do now? Do you want us to invade?

I hear people complaining that we "prop up" bad regimes. I am not convinced that we have that kind of clout there. We have tried to fix countries before. We did fine economically in Japan and Germany. Really well actually. But we were in a position to dictate what government with which we were to deal. We can't do that in Central America. It is naive to suppose that if we just put our hands in our pockets and do nothing, that these corrupt regimes will dissolve and everyone will divide up the money and sing folk songs.

What the US CAN do is stop being the pressure valve for these countries. We can control our own immigration and let them sort it out by themselves.

Understand though. We could stop drugs in Mexico. We could invade, occupy Mexico, impose a government that kills drug dealers on the spot and impose some sort of economic recovery. It would be bloody and it would lack an end game. It would be doing exactly what you have complained about our doing all along.

I'm going with strong immigration controls, a narrow view of asylum and a hands-off of the region.

I would remind y'all that keeping our hands off gave us Chavez in Argentina. Lovely solution to their problems, don't you think?

A stable Mexico with great free public schools, a good tax base and uncorrupt courts, a well taxed Mexican elite and a lot less income inequality between the rich and the poor in Mexico and Central America are solutions. But that means not allowing thousands of USA companies to pay $36 bucks a week.to Mexican labor.

See? I'll tell the Army to get ready to invade. We should have succeeded in getting rid of those corrupt courts and central government in a couple of weeks.

You do know that American companies employ Mexican at all because they are a bargain. Right? If you take away that bargain there will be no jobs for Mexicans. The problem is not American companies. That is just a smokescreen. The real problem is that Mexico is corrupt to the core.

Poor countries like France, Italy, Austria and Germany? :lol: Your knowledge of geography is as bad as your knowledge of the problem.
Italy's youth unemployment rate is 33%, where have you been all this time Godstud? Have you missed the 2008 global financial crisis and European debt crisis since 2010. Why do you think Italy has elected a populist government?

I'm not even mentioning all the migrant in Europe now or people from other European countries like Greece or eastern Europe who can travel to Switzerland with ease.

Learn to read! Poorer countries. When was the last time you were in Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria or Germany. Have to admit it has been a few years since I was in Austria.
France and Germany are hardly poorer.

European GDPs, incidentally:
1st Germany 3,684.816
2nd United Kingdom 2,624.529
3rd France 2,583.560
4th Italy 1,937.894

Switzerland sits 8th, incidentally, and only Austria has a GDP lower(12th).

Your lies are transparent and ignorant, as always.
Godstud wrote:France and Germany are hardly poorer.

European GDPs, incidentally:
1st Germany 3,684.816
2nd United Kingdom 2,624.529
3rd France 2,583.560
4th Italy 1,937.894

Switzerland sits 8th, incidentally, and only Austria has a GDP lower(12th).

Your lies are transparent and ignorant, as always.

Switzerland is a tiny rich country. Try per capita. :lol:
Suntzu wrote:Switzerland is a tiny rich country. Try per capita. :lol:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 4rank.html

Good point. It is amazing how we are told ‘big’ is necessary for economic success, yet all the top countries are small.
Good point. It is amazing how we are told ‘big’ is necessary for economic success, yet all the top countries are small.

Yes. And all of the non Monarchies provide extremely robust social welfare programs, affordable health care, and most, free education through college.
Drlee wrote:I would like to ask Tianari88, exactly what it is that you would have the US do? Even if I grant that the US was responsible for some chicanery in Central and South America, what can it do now? Do you want us to invade?

This is clearly not what Tainari is calling for. She is criticising the US government for its past interference in Central American affairs, interference which had hugely negative and destructive effects on the political systems of those nations. I need only mention Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, and so on and so forth. The CIA even trained the soldiers of these right-wing regimes in torture techniques, so they could more effectively oppress their own people. And now you turn around and plead innocence? "Who sir? Me sir? No sir!" It's not good enough, Drlee.

I hear people complaining that we "prop up" bad regimes. I am not convinced that we have that kind of clout there.

Yes you did, and yes you do. The USA propped up Somoza in Nicaragua and Trujillo in the Dominican Republic for decades.

We have tried to fix countries before. We did fine economically in Japan and Germany. Really well actually. But we were in a position to dictate what government with which we were to deal. We can't do that in Central America. It is naive to suppose that if we just put our hands in our pockets and do nothing, that these corrupt regimes will dissolve and everyone will divide up the money and sing folk songs.

But that's more or less what did happen when the US withdrew its support for the Trujillo regime in the Dominican Republic, following his assassination. His son tried to take power, and at first looked likely to succeed, until JFK withdrew his support. These brutal dictatorships only lasted as long as they did because the USA wanted them to remain in power, for geopolitical reasons which should be obvious to you. You cannot now turn around and act all innocent. People are going to notice the blood dripping from your hands, so to speak.

What the US CAN do is stop being the pressure valve for these countries. We can control our own immigration and let them sort it out by themselves.

I suspect that Tainari would agree with you. :)

Understand though. We could stop drugs in Mexico. We could invade, occupy Mexico, impose a government that kills drug dealers on the spot and impose some sort of economic recovery. It would be bloody and it would lack an end game. It would be doing exactly what you have complained about our doing all along.

She has not asked the US to do this. In fact, the Mexican government itself is doing this - it has been waging a brutal war against the drug cartels for more than a decade now. But so long as the huge market for drugs exists in the USA, and so long as weapons are being smuggled into Mexico from the USA, the war will never end.

I'm going with strong immigration controls, a narrow view of asylum and a hands-off of the region.

Sounds good to me. :up:

I would remind y'all that keeping our hands off gave us Chavez in Argentina. Lovely solution to their problems, don't you think?

I presume you mean Chavez in Venezuela? Argentina is a different nation. It doesn't even start with the same letter. Lol. ;)

And Chavez was a huge improvement on what preceded him in Venezuela.

See? I'll tell the Army to get ready to invade. We should have succeeded in getting rid of those corrupt courts and central government in a couple of weeks.

You do know that American companies employ Mexican at all because they are a bargain. Right? If you take away that bargain there will be no jobs for Mexicans. The problem is not American companies. That is just a smokescreen. The real problem is that Mexico is corrupt to the core.

And the USA isn't corrupt to the core? And the American companies aren't just a "smokescreen" - they really do employ illegal immigrants because they are cheap labour with no rights. If the Republicans wanted to, they could end the immigration 'problem' in America overnight, by simply arresting any employer who knowingly employs illegal immigrants. Why won't they ever do that, Drlee? Hmm...? :)
And the USA isn't corrupt to the core? And the American companies aren't just a "smokescreen" - they really do employ illegal immigrants because they are cheap labour with no rights. If the Republicans wanted to, they could end the immigration 'problem' in America overnight, by simply arresting any employer who knowingly employs illegal immigrants. Why won't they ever do that, Drlee? Hmm...? :)

Well how many times have you seen me post this? It is at the heart of the issue of immigration. It is what shows the Trump administration to be the hypocrites that they are. Neither party wishes to stop illegal immigration not to mention deport millions of their slave workers. I have often claimed that I could solve the "problem" of illegal immigration overnight. Fire half of the border patrolmen and put 25% of the rest of them on workplace enforcement. Done and done.

This is clearly not what Tainari is calling for. She is criticising the US government for its past interference in Central American affairs, interference which had hugely negative and destructive effects on the political systems of those nations. I need only mention Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, and so on and so forth. The CIA even trained the soldiers of these right-wing regimes in torture techniques, so they could more effectively oppress their own people. And now you turn around and plead innocence? "Who sir? Me sir? No sir!" It's not good enough, Drlee.

I know. We did all of that. And more. My concern is about what to do going forward. As I said, my solution would be to get out and let them settle their own affairs. One caveat. I would prevent Russia and China from leaping into the breach. Own affairs means own affairs.

This could get really ugly for them as you know. The road to Marxism can be rocky and their homegrown oligarchs will not give up without a fight. Maybe something like Canada or the US would work for Brazil or Argentina (still blushing), but not Honduras and Guatemala. Not yet.

But out we should get and not lose our resolve when the casualties start to pile up. Nor lose our nerve when these folks try to come here mistaking asylum for cowardice in the face of the enemy.
"Well how many times have you seen me post this? It is at the heart of the issue of immigration. It is what shows the Trump administration to be the hypocrites that they are. Neither party wishes to stop illegal immigration not to mention deport millions of their slave workers. I have often claimed that I could solve the "problem" of illegal immigration overnight. Fire half of the border patrolmen and put 25% of the rest of them on workplace enforcement. Done and done."

True! Mandatory e-verify. Prison (no fines) for violators.

I bet you'd love to watch footage of her being rap[…]

It does mean that thesis has to be proven, since t[…]

@FiveofSwords " Franz [B]oas " Are[…]

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]