What do you think will be the outcome of the summit between Kim Jong-in and Donald Trump? - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Godstud wrote:OK. Granted. Maybe Trump is just a complete asshole and is a fucking moron. Those are much better explanations for his stupidity and thoughtlessness.

If a vagrant, alcoholic murderer jumps into the swamp and saves your daughter from being eaten by a crocodile, is he still a worthless human?
It does not matter what you think of Trump as a person.
Zamuel wrote:A salute is proper protocol between military officers everywhere. Trump is technically a military officer and his salute in response is the proper acknowledgement. Nothing notable about this …

I wonder if Trump is technically a military officer with rank and he obviously didn't mean to be. It wasn't his fault in the first place, but he should realise that he's a civilian not supposed to salute back all the time he's being saluted basically.
Beren wrote:but he should realise that he's a civilian not supposed to salute back all the time he's being saluted basically.

He's the commander in chief and as such is routinely saluted. Acknowledging a salute is the required reply.

As an example here's a picture of American forces saluting the Japanese surrender delegation as they leave the surrender ceremony.

Zam 8)
Zamuel wrote:He's the commander in chief and as such is routinely saluted. Acknowledging a salute is the required reply.

It's the required reply among military personnel, but the POTUS is not a military person, even as Commander in Chief he's a civilian without military rank. He's not supposed to salute back like Hitler or Mussolini.
Beren wrote:It's the required reply among military personnel, but the POTUS is not a military person, even as Commander in Chief he's a civilian without military rank. He's not supposed to salute back like Hitler or Mussolini.

Well, that's not exactly right ...

Say Uncle ?

Zam 8)
Beren wrote:Sure, it ceremonially happens sometimes, or even many times. Obama even apologised when he forgot to salute back once, although he didn't do any wrong because the POTUS is a civilian that's not supposed to salute, basically.

No, acknowledging a salute is an imperative in military protocol, that's why Obama went to the trouble of a public apology.

Here's the official skinny on who gets (and returns) salutes.
Military personnel in uniform are required to salute when they meet and recognize persons entitled (by grade) to a salute except when it is inappropriate or impractical (in public conveyances such as planes and buses, in public places such as inside theaters, or when driving a vehicle).
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/u-s-military-salute-3331994

Persons Entitled to a Salute

•The President of the United States (Commander-in-Chief)
•Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers
•Any Medal of Honor Recipient
•Officers of Friendly Foreign Countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_control_of_the_military

This is a good article that explains the civilian control of the military very well. I hope you understand that the Military saluting the President is a necessary acknowledgement and acceptance of this constitutional mandate. His salute in reply is an affirmative acceptance of Military subordination to civilian control. If this seems overtly ceremonial, it is. It reminds everyone concerned of how our system works on a regular basis.

Zam 8)
Beren wrote:Now I'm seriously wondering if dead people in coffins or flags should return salutes too. Should I salute back when a police officer salutes me just because US presidents politely do so (in public at least)? :hmm:

The cops probably aren't saluting you, just shading their eyes to see if you're the guy they've been looking for ... in such a case it's better to run away as fast as you can and hope they don't start shooting.

Zam :lol:
Zamuel wrote:The cops probably aren't saluting you, just shading their eyes to see if you're the guy they've been looking for ... in such a case it's better to run away as fast as you can and hope they don't start shooting.

Zam :lol:

They're actually required to salute citizens in Hungary, and they salute tourists too I guess, maybe I should salute them back. :lol:
The Zionists got what they wanted a humiliating grovelling by the US president to the leader of North Korea. Any conflict or threat of conflict with North Korea weakens US ability to obsessively focus on Iran and its clients. I'm not saying that Trump is completely obedient to the Israelis. I think Trump tries to be as pro Russian as he can get away with. I certainly hope that's the case although I could be wrong about this. North Korea is a difficult issue to make real progress on. Real progress requires real bombing. It would require a real man and there's very few of those left in the West. So its easier for him to please the Israelis and get the photo op.

Especially as lot of moronic alt right cucks will actually praise this humiliating farce as some kind of victory.
Rich wrote:I think Trump tries to be as pro Russian as he can get away with.

He can even get away with pushing Europe towards Russia, so he can get away with much, actually. Pulling the US out of the Iran deal seems to worry the Europeans rather than the Russians.

Rich wrote:Real progress requires real bombing.

I find your progressivism a bit radical. :lol:
Beren wrote:They're actually required to salute citizens in Hungary, and they salute tourists too I guess, maybe I should salute them back. :lol:

How odd ... You're sure they're not holding their other hand out for a tip? Maybe those are bellboys not cops ? :lol:

Zam
The best outcome from the North Korean deal is Trump's decision to cancel large-scale joint military exercises with South Korea. This deal was possible because Trump is the outsider of Washington and he doesn't care about what Pentagon officials think about his unilateral decision. I think the United States doesn't have to bend over backwards to defend South Korea. The military drills only provoked North Korea into launching more missiles in the past. With these assurances such as no regime change, North Korea is going to be completely denuclearized.

The surprise declaration, which came after Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, is an apparent concession to Pyongyang, which has claimed the drills are merely a pretext for a strike on the North.

After the announcement, news soon leaked of government officials scrambling aboard Air Force One to alert allied countries and partners of the change, with South Korea even left out of the loop.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/39258 ... s-decision
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]