Are Leftist Parties Becoming Synonymous with Mental Illness? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 736d601653

Read this article, in which a major publication publishes an opinion piece pushing an extremist minority position.

It's my impression that a lot of mentally ill people are extremely politically active.

In the UK, Labour appears to be about as significant as the UKIP. In Canada, Justin Trudea's Liberal party just lost official party status in Ontario, where about 38% of Canadians live (it's the largest region of Canada according to Wikipedia), so they won't be allowed in the next debates.

Donald Trump tends not to do himself any favors in terms of PR but the Democrats seem like too much of a basket case to mount any kind of sane opposition. Is this because they are literally led by basket cases? If you want to hate men as a group, I think that's a sign of mental problems. If you want to identify as something you clearly aren't, I think that's a sign of mental problems. If you deliberately live off of a welfare system when you don't need to, I think that's a sign of either ethical or mental problems (perhaps even both). If you're so "tolerant" that you become an oppressive bully when dealing with normal people, I think that's a sign of ethical and mental problems. The Democrats are deliberately catering to these groups.

In the Anglosphere we may be at 2/3 of the formerly main stream leftist parties that have basically gone "full retard" and are no longer serious contenders. It's taking longer in America because there are only two significant political parties but are the Democrats next?
The Democrats can’t seem to make up their minds. They use the crazies to get elected and now they are half heartedly trying to prevent them from winning primaries. They don’t have a fallback position from the crazy one, so they remain a party of hypocrisy just hoping their propaganda will fool enough people one more time.
@One Degree that's exactly how it appears to me too.

I advise people watch this video. It may seem a little weird but give it a chance :)

While the Democrats (and other leftist parties) are obsessing about things like "we drove 250 miles and found the one bakery that wouldn't make us a cake" the rest of the population is concerned about the stuff this video touches on, or far more serious things. Being composed of the "top/bottom coalition" which is essentially people who don't work for different reasons, leftist parties don't seem to be in touch with the nature of the challenges that face those in the middle. They are instead focused upon the sometimes tenuous or even imaginary problems that abnormal people may find themselves in and which they often exaggerate.
It pointed out our ‘lives of quiet desperation’ very well. We do need to accept ourselves separate from what we do, but we still need to do something, as a society, about the pressure to work more.
I don't have any excuses for the Democrats stupidity. I have no patience for their hypocritical crap and their blindness in realizing what needs to happen to create consensus and a plan. I never vote Democrat and don't intend to.

The Republicans on the other hand are not dealing with Trump base disruption well. They are going to crash and burn if the Trump man becomes radioactive politically.

I am glad I am leaving the USA and these two corrupt, no plan with any viability parties burn up in their desire to rule without intelligence.

Sometimes these political situations are just good for giving the average working person indigestion.
. In Canada, Justin Trudea's Liberal party just lost official party status in Ontario, where about 38% of Canadians live

This is the same as one state, one party tanking. Of course Justin will run federally, that the Federal liberal party will run. Big whoop that the liberals in Ontario lost. Trump is ensuring Trudeau's re-election.
Well, like I often write, I don't think people expect class warfare or racist-hunting to alleviate the problems associated with an "Aggretsuko" lifestyle.

Insofar as it does alleviate them, it's not because racists are the actual source of Aggretsuko-ness, it's because the act of hunting for bigots is a convincing LARP and essentially an entertaining hobby that makes those involved feel powerful in an otherwise alienating culture (just look at PoD and Godstud on this forum).

Other people cope with video games, or death metal or whatever. But none of those things are fundamental solutions and I think those I've described as LARPers are coming across as vindictive and delusional to a lot of people. They always need new prey or the game would end. For example, I've noticed that if I don't post for 1-2 weeks, by the time I come back Godstud is arguing with someone else. You'd think the absence of the neo-reactionary would make everything OK if I was the real problem and I haven't observed that happening at all.

My personal solution, the study of religion, is just not available to most people today perhaps because many jobs leave little to no excess mental energy that intelligent people can devote to such things.
Hong Wu wrote:According to Wikipedia they do have MPs, although I do seem to have been wrong about their relative significance.

The Westminster System has a kind of limited but present Winner-takes-all design.

Although the Labour(or Labor in Australia) Party is technically the biggest opposition party, they have very limited legislative power outside of Government. They are in trouble because they are in the Opposition seats in the first place.

If Teresa May(or Malcolm Turnbull here) had a majority government and control of both houses, she can ram legislation through without any hassles from the so called "Opposition" who may be able to ask agressive questions in "Question Time" but do not much else officially.
I think the internet has sort of untethered people's political opinions from each other. As a result the left will just keep getting loonier while the right keeps trying to be reasonable because maybe these are two fundamental human directions; one kind of person feels empowered behaving reasonably, another kind feels empowered by pushing boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries. These two groups have no social use for each other besides maybe as foils, especially the latter group. And most politics these days, at least for liberals, are about social events so this social use thing is pretty relevant.
Hong Wu wrote:According to Wikipedia they do have MPs, although I do seem to have been wrong about their relative significance.

No. They had 2 MPs, both initially elected as Conservatives, before they defected to UKIP and were both re-elected in by-elections. In the 2015 general election, Douglas Carswell retained his seat, but he resigned from UKIP in March 2017, and did not stand in the June election.

I don't think any part of Wikipedia says they currently have MPs. If there is a page that claims that, please tell us and I'll correct it.

Amusingly, given the thread title, the major financial backer of UKIP (the one in the news at the moment for his Russian meetings) called Carswell, when he was their only MP, "borderline autistic with mental illness wrapped in". If that's what rightist parties say about themselves, who are we to disagree?
Heisenberg wrote:It's amusing to see American conservatives accusing their political opponents of being mentally ill, since this practice has historically been a trait of totalitarian regimes, and the USSR in particular. Funnily enough, it's not actually an argument.

It is their pursuit of totalitarianism as a solution to inequality that results in a legitimate accusation of insanity.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]