“The norms of what you can do to someone against their will have changed.”--Bill Clinton - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I find it pretty amusing that Bill Clinton said this during his book tour, especially in view of #MeToo. You have to wonder what he's trying to accomplish. :lol: So He's essentially assenting to the fact that he's done things to people against their will and gotten away with it, but that his good fortune in escaping justice was just part of the times he lived in and that's all changed now. Sigh! Now contrast this with Donald Trump, who says that women will let you grab 'em by the pussy. Hilarious! :D :lol: :excited:

The Clintons just keep on giving...
Bill Clinton: 'Norms have changed' for what you can do to somebody against their will
Seems like more people are commenting on it now. CNN for example.

Bill Clinton under fire for saying 'norms have really changed in terms of what you can do to somebody against their will'

Former President Bill Clinton is drawing heat on social media for remarks he made about changing norms and unwanted sexual advances.

It seems, however, that social media is where the discussion is primarily taking place--forcing the MSM to provide commentary too.
Bill Clinton is simply stating a fact. Bill Cosby could have said the same thing. Lol. People who weren't around in the 1960s and 70s don't understand what it was like back then. Grabbing women by the pussy was seen as a perk of being male. Guys were expected to do it and then boast about it. If you didn't, people would think you were a faggot or something.
skinster wrote:^ gross.

Well, I for one am very glad that you can't grope people willy-nilly anymore.

So am I. But back in the '70s, that attitude would have been labelled "political correctness gone mad". Except nobody would have used that phrase, because "political correctness" didn't even exist yet, not even as an abstract concept. Lol.
Potemkin wrote:Bill Clinton is simply stating a fact. Bill Cosby could have said the same thing. Lol. People who weren't around in the 1960s and 70s don't understand what it was like back then. Grabbing women by the pussy was seen as a perk of being male. Guys were expected to do it and then boast about it. If you didn't, people would think you were a faggot or something.

You seem to be missing the irony that the Democrats pushed the sexual harassment idea after trying to use it as a novel way to keep Clarence Thomas off the Supreme Court. In the wake of the #metoo movement, it has hurt Democrats far more than Republicans. Simultaneously, as "political correctness" has fallen from favor, both parties--the parts that embraced political correctness--are suffering while Bill Clinton is getting criticized by an establishment staggered by the public rebuke of their double standards.

I remember movies of men and women slapping each other on the face. I find it hilarious that the establishment tries to hide that stuff. I think every kid today should have to memorize "Blazing Saddles" before graduating.
blackjack21 wrote:You seem to be missing the irony that the Democrats pushed the sexual harassment idea after trying to use it as a novel way to keep Clarence Thomas off the Supreme Court. In the wake of the #metoo movement, it has hurt Democrats far more than Republicans. Simultaneously, as "political correctness" has fallen from favor, both parties--the parts that embraced political correctness--are suffering while Bill Clinton is getting criticized by an establishment staggered by the public rebuke of their double standards.

I remember movies of men and women slapping each other on the face. I find it hilarious that the establishment tries to hide that stuff. I think every kid today should have to memorize "Blazing Saddles" before graduating.

Foreplay pre-1990s....

:excited:
Well, the Democrats are the real opposition to Trump, as opposed to the imaginary oppositions of various schools of theoretical communism that have ignored the last hundred years of history. So there is often an assumption that Trump haters would be attached to the Democrats and maybe it is wrong, at the same time though it's not like the western communists do anything that can be discussed. The last event clearly associated with them was AntiFA and most of PoFo disowned them too.
Red_Army wrote:That has what exactly to do with blackjack's response to Potemkin? He doesn't speak for the democrats, he's not even an American.

If you didn't like Power Rangers I wouldn't just assume you loved Voltron and throw a bunch of fat orange voltron memes at you.

I was responding to you for once, it is kind of cute though how you assumed I was responding to Potemkin and not you :excited:

I do also believe Voltron to have been better than the Power Rangers.
My 2 cents worth. I was born in 1946.
1] I think that "against their will" is the wrong phrase. I think "without their prior consent" or "not being at all sure what they thought about it" are better ways to say it. When I was young on a date the man was expected to try to do something. She could let him press on or shut him down. So, in both cases he acted without knowing how she would react.
. . . In the classic musical,"Oklahoma" there is a song about this. The lyric is, "I've known right from wrong since I was ten. ... When a fella tries to kkiissss a girl, she should give his face a slap!"

2] Of course, the one who said above that Bill ws just stating a fact is correct. But, like I just said, he phrased it poorly.
Red_Army wrote:blackjack seems to be under the illusion that Potemkin (or anyone in this thread) gives a shit about the Democratic party looking bad. Fuck em all.

@One Degree, are you suggesting that you groped people without consent when you were a youth and that I should be jealous of that consequence free sexual assault?

Judging the past by current morality? Laws are not retroactive for a reason.
Regarding how Democrat/liberal/leftist/however you want to describe celebrities who are coming under fire for sexual misconduct. People here and elsewhere have suggested that the MeToo movement has backfired because many of the targets are in the category I described above. The argument here is that these liberal celebrities are more likely to commit said sexual misconduct. This may be true and I think most of the people who are committing serious sexual misconduct deserve the backlash regardless of their politics. I do think its possible though, that many of the women involved with these people have similar politics and this emboldens them to speak out about sexual misconduct in a way that the spouses/partners of more conservative figures would not be. Traditionalist values prompt women to be subservient and WASP culture requires all domestic issues to be hushed.

This is entirely speculation, but I think its a scenario worth considering.
Steve_American wrote:My 2 cents worth. I was born in 1946.
1] I think that "against their will" is the wrong phrase. I think "without their prior consent" or "not being at all sure what they thought about it" are better ways to say it. When I was young on a date the man was expected to try to do something. She could let him press on or shut him down. So, in both cases he acted without knowing how she would react.

Just bustin a move is never cool, I always just let the moment develop until we're both there. You just read the eyes and the body language and you know when it's mutual. That's probably not good advice for everyone because some guys are pretty dense about reading those situations. If you're one of those dudes that thinks every women wants you then you should probably get verbal consent.
Steve_American wrote:I think that "against their will" is the wrong phrase. I think "without their prior consent" or "not being at all sure what they thought about it" are better ways to say it.

"Not caring what they thought about it" would probably be the most accurate way to say it. Lol.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]