Women Are More Attracted To Sexist Men: Study Reveals - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Another tidbit in this sort of vein, men who are ambigous in heir rejection of BS can be interpreted as holding HS views/values.
https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/handle/10012/6958/Yeung_Amy.pdf
Two studies demonstrated that lay people misperceive the relationship between hostile sexism (HS) and benevolent sexism (BS) in men, but not in women. While men's endorsement of BS is viewed as a sign of a univalently positive attitude towards women, their rejection of BS is perceived as a sign of univalent sexist antipathy. Low BS men were judged as more hostile towards women than high BS men, suggesting that perceivers inferred that low BS men were indeed misogynists. Negative evaluations were reduced when men's rejection of BS was attributed to egalitarian values, supporting the hypothesis that ambiguity about the motivations for low BS in men was partially responsible for the attribution of hostile sexist attitudes to low BS men.

And following earlier post about reduction of HS reduces endorsement of BS, i imagine one would possibly presume/percieve more men as having egaltarian views/values the less HS one experiences or thinks is prevalent in society.
Sivad wrote:The standards of enlightened rationality. Don't tell me you're relativist, relativism is so fkn stupid.

How did you figure out "benevolent sexism" was "primitive psychology" rather than a higher standard of enlightened rationality than you are capable of appreciating? Did you cast the bones? Consult your navel? What is the method? Or is it just a special kind of narcissism?
SolarCross wrote:How did you figure out "benevolent sexism" was "primitive psychology"

I pay close attention to what the wise have been saying in every culture and every age throughout history. The more enlightened of us tend to subdue the baser drives and desires and disassociate from ignorant and archaic cultural roles in order to develop a transpersonal identity(a true, substantive self).
Sivad wrote:I pay close attention to what the wise have been saying in every culture and every age throughout history. The more enlightened of us tend to subdue the baser drives and desires and disassociate from ignorant and archaic cultural roles in order to develop a transpersonal identity(a true, substantive self).

Oh so cultish narcissism, that makes perfect sense.
I think something that might help to understand is that many who hold been benevelent attitudes also hold hostile attitudes towards women. The two are linked such that a certain type of woman, one who knows her place as to be cares for and more dependent on men is idealized whilst women who engage in behaviours away from the ideal women are the demonized and subject to hostilities. The sort of man who holds such an ideal in esteem doesn’t see his wife truer to herself as a person as much as he is attatched to the ideal image and so tends to reacts negatively when the reality interrupts the ideal.
Y’all not seeing it when all that is taken is abstracted behaviours divorced from society and the gendered relations.
http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/conferences/2013-w50-research-symposium/Documents/glick.pdf
BS Complements and Justifies Hostile Sexism
Benevolently sexist attitudes do not reflect post-feminist political correctness; rather, they are firmly rooted in traditional gender stereotypes. BS’s traditonality and complementarity with hos- tile sexism are evidenced by a positive correlation between them. Benevolent sexists, more often than not, are also hostile sexists. At the individual level, hostile and benevolent sexism correlate modestly (about .4); more striking is the almost perfect correlation (close to .9) that occurs when comparing sample averages across nations (Glick et al., 2000, 2004). In other words, the nations in which people strongly endorse BS are those where people most strongly endorse hostile sex- ism – the two go hand in hand. Further, national averages on both scales predict fewer women
in high-level government and business roles (Glick et al., 2000, 2004). In short, high BS nations exhibit more hostile sexism and less equality for women, suggesting that whatever protection BS ostensibly offers, women fare less well in societies that strongly endorse BS.
Ideologically, BS plays a critical role in justifying hostile sexism and inequality. For men, BS justifies their traditional power and privilege while characterizing their gender group as heroic protectors and family providers, rather than callous oppressors. Accuse a man of sexism and he might defend himself by citing his happy marriage, his love for his mother, sisters, and daughter (it’s only feminists and power-seeking career women he dislikes). For women, BS seduces with promises: men will protect and provide, adore and cherish you – your pedestal awaits. Thus, un- like hostile sexism, women often endorse BS as much or even more than men (Glick et al., 2000, 2004). And just as BS helps men to justify hostile sexism, BS increases women’s willingness to endorse hostile sexism. In longitudinal studies, Sibley, Overall, and Duckitt (2007) found that women’s BS scores predict subsequent increases in hostile sexism. Women who accept BS come to resent women who, by seeking equality, threaten traditional gender relations in which women cede power in exchange for men’s provision and protection.
Conclusion and Potential Solutions

For patronizing discrimination, the cliché that the first step requires recognizing the problem rings particularly true. Many people, including women, view benevolently sexist attitudes as desirable, rather than detrimental. It’s worrisome when the typically liberal Atlantic publishes an article calling for a return to chivalry (Smith, 2012). In the media, benevolent sexism has been (falsely) parodied as alleging that opening a door for a woman constitutes a heinous oppressive act. More widely disseminating the research described here can help to establish that BS has nontrivial consequences. Raising awareness among women seems particularly important -- if many women sanction BS, men will have little incentive to change.

In addition to raising awareness, research suggests that BS endorsement (especially among women) can be reduced indirectly, by attacking a more acceptable target: hostile sexism. The reciprocal relationship between benevolent and hostile sexism is not confined to the former legitimating the latter. For women, ambivalent sexism functions as a “protection racket” in which hostile sexism provides the threat and BS the solution. Ironically, fearing men’s hostility can drive women straight into men’s arms seeking protection... from other men. In cross-national compari- sons (Glick et al., 2000, 2004) we consistently find that women endorse BS significantly more than men only in the most hostile sexist nations. Where men’s hostile sexism is lowest, women reject BS, scoring low overall and significantly lower than men. Experimental evidence confirms that fear of men’s hostile sexism increases women’s attraction to BS. Specifically, Fischer (2006) found that after reading a bogus article about a national survey that revealed rampant male hostile sexism, women showed increased BS. When women face less threat they reject BS. In industrial- ized nations, economic forces are pushing the trend in the right direction; unfortunately, in some less developed nations, women’s status has remained low.

If valuing freedom from depnedence is important than part of that extends to undermining pateranalistic restrictions on women that may be be in isolation seen as men being generous but of logical necessity raises the question why women need such care and protections lot of the time.

And its not like kindness in itself is oppressing women which is why the emphasis i make is on paternalistic restriction that is against women pursuing things for themselves. Mens desire to protect women can be legitimate but does nothing to help position of women en masse. Opening doors ain’t oppressing anyone, but more insidious are things like the idea that women should restrict themselves from public life because of hostilities they’re subject in a society that valorizes the restrict roles of women.
Just for @Wellsy

How to get laid, the right way and the wrong way:

The Right Way:

Benovolent Sexist: "Fancy a shag?"
Wise woman: "Maybe, do you have job?"
BS: "I have my own business, doing pretty well actually"
WW "tidy, do you like to have kids?"
BS: "Sure, I reckon I'd be pretty good dad."
WW "Well how about getting married?"
BS: "For the right woman I would be honoured to marry"
WW: "Am I the right woman?"
BS: "Honey, there ain't no other, so about that shag?"
WW: "Sure let's do it".

-------
The wrong way:

Nu-Pseudo-Man: "Fancy a shag?"
WW: "Do you have a job?"
NPM: "Your primitive intellect can't appreaciate my contributions to teh fight against patriarchal oppression"
WW: "so you are unemployed then?"
NPM: "Oppression and words salad consisticate a matrix of non-reciprocating nodes of bi-reactionary gender bias"
WW: "eh? do you have mental health issues?"
NPM: "The patriarchal overlords contrived your social constructs to assume non-consentory to reactionary gender norms are mental health issues, stop assuming my mental health status!"
WW: "bye loser"
NMP: "but I didn't get a shag? please..."
WW: "no chance, what if I got pregnant?"
NMP: "I will respect your decision to raise your children as a single mother. Don't worry I would never oppress you by looking after you and your children."
WW: <facepalm>
Wellsy wrote::lol: Thanks for the advice

Pay no attention to the bullshit … Women have made the decision about whether or not they will fuck you long before you ever open your mouth. In most cases they look at 3 things, in this order. Your Butt, your Hair, and your Face. If they find at least 2 of the 3 things attractive you're in business. You can still blow it … So keeping your mouth shut is recommended. Limit your comments to compliments on their appearance. If possible direct them towards a private location where they can behave without public inhibitions.

Women are instinctively submissive in sexual encounters. So provide them the opportunity and exploit it to the point at which they start to become uneasy. Then back off. They will appreciate your forbearance and usually behave with a pleasant compliance.

Have fun.

Zam
SolarCross wrote:Just for @Wellsy

How to get laid, the right way and the wrong way:

The Right Way:

Benovolent Sexist: "Fancy a shag?"
Wise woman: "Maybe, do you have job?"
BS: "I have my own business, doing pretty well actually"
WW "tidy, do you like to have kids?"
BS: "Sure, I reckon I'd be pretty good dad."
WW "Well how about getting married?"
BS: "For the right woman I would be honoured to marry"
WW: "Am I the right woman?"
BS: "Honey, there ain't no other, so about that shag?"
WW: "Sure let's do it".

-------
The wrong way:

Nu-Pseudo-Man: "Fancy a shag?"
WW: "Do you have a job?"
NPM: "Your primitive intellect can't appreaciate my contributions to teh fight against patriarchal oppression"
WW: "so you are unemployed then?"
NPM: "Oppression and words salad consisticate a matrix of non-reciprocating nodes of bi-reactionary gender bias"
WW: "eh? do you have mental health issues?"
NPM: "The patriarchal overlords contrived your social constructs to assume non-consentory to reactionary gender norms are mental health issues, stop assuming my mental health status!"
WW: "bye loser"
NMP: "but I didn't get a shag? please..."
WW: "no chance, what if I got pregnant?"
NMP: "I will respect your decision to raise your children as a single mother. Don't worry I would never oppress you by looking after you and your children."
WW: <facepalm>
How about a woman of inferior quality (low-end woman) with a Nu-Pseudo-Man then with a BS man.

@Zamuel Are you a BS man?
SolarCross wrote:How to get laid, the right way and the wrong way:

Actually it goes like this (apparently nobody bothered to read the questions to measure benevolent sexism I linked to).

A good woman should be set on a pedestal.
IT CANNOT BE HIGH ENOUGH.

Women should be cherished and protected by men.
ALWAYS!

Men should sacrifice to provide for women.
EVERYTHING!

In a disaster, women need not be rescued first.
WHAT? MEN ARE DISPOSABLE.

Women have a superior moral sensibility.
MEN ARE BORN EVIL.

Women have a quality of purity few men possess.
SO PURE...

Women have a more refined sense of culture, taste.
INDEED, MEN ARE BRUTES!

Every man ought to have a woman he adores.
OBVIOUSLY.

Men are complete without women.
THEY ARE NOTHING WITHOUT WOMEN.

Despite accomplishment, men are incomplete without women.
ACCOMPLISHMENT IS IRRELEVANT.

People are often happy without heterosexual romance.
NO WAY!
This thread made my day! I laughed a lot!

One thing I know...I don't like unintelligent men, unkind men, unjust men, and men men who are inconsiderate, disrespectful, foolish, irresponsible, liars, drunks,druggies, non readers, superficial, lazy, thoughtless, bullies, abusive, power hungry and greedy. I will run the other way!

Sexist men I don't like at all. If you are a woman you had better not be looking for money and good looks only because for me that is worthless in a man.

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/uk[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]