the calculations of the Democratic party - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Thomas Frank says the Dems hate the bottom 70% to 90% of the nation (by income).
Maybe but they do seems to have contempt for us. And, never do anything for us.
Why is that? Is it like in sports where nobody remembers what team lost the Superbowl? That we have contempt for those who came in 2nd.
Like they don't realize that not everyone can go to an Ivy League Univ.. That in fact very, very, very few of us can. There are just not that many slots available.
I think it is human nature to think that we deserve what we get when we get a lot. Then it is easy to blame the poor for being poor because they didn't go the Harvard. Jesus would not have good things to say about people who give in to their baser nature in this regard. Jesus would say we all deserve respect, ALL OF US. At least until they grope a child then I don't give them any respect.
But no. The base of the Dems have contempt for all who didn't get the breaks that they got. They need to find Jesus and forgive the rest of us for not being lucky enough to make it into Harvard.
After they forgive us, they can then give us some crumbs.

And MMT is a better economic model. It is certainly a better description of how a modern economy in a nation with a fiat currency works. There is zero doubt of that. There may be some doubt that large deficits forever are no big deal. But, the last 40 years are evidence that since the sh*t has not hit the fan, that it never will. Not unless there is a shortage of a real resource like energy.
That’s the real issue this time,” he said. “Beating Nixon. It’s hard to even guess how much damage those bastards will do if they get in for another four years.”

The argument was familiar, I had even made it myself, here and there, but I was beginning to sense something very depressing about it. How many more of these goddamn elections are we going to have to write off as lame, but “regrettably necessary” holding actions? And how many more of these stinking double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

Now with another one of these big bogus showdowns looming down on us, I can already pick up the stench of another bummer. I understand, along with a lot of other people, that the big thing this year is Beating Nixon. But that was also the big thing, as I recall, twelve years ago in 1960 – and as far as I can tell, we’ve gone from bad to worse to rotten since then, and the outlook is for more of the same.

—Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72

"There's a terrible danger in voting for the lesser of two evils because the parties can set it up that way." —HUNTER S. THOMPSON, The Atlantic Online, Aug. 26, 1997
GLENN GREENWAL one of the things that’s likely to happen, unfortunately, in the U.S.—I mean, fortunately and unfortunately—is that, in general, parties that are out of power do very well in the midterm elections. And there’s a huge amount of enthusiasm on the part of the Democratic base because of the anti-Trump sentiment that has been building up over the course of more than two years. So I think Democrats are likely to do very well in the midterms, probably will take over the House.

And while that’s very good in one way, because that will serve as a much-needed limit and check on what Trump’s able to do, on the other hand, I think that’s going to end up masking the fundamental problems of the Democratic Party—who it’s funded by, whose interests it serves, its messaging. It never really engaged in much of a self-critique after 2016, even though it collapsed as a national political force. And I think that its likely victory in 2018, at least in the House, is probably going to give it the excuse needed to justify continuing to push off this kind of reckoning that’s needed if the Democrats are going to start to recapture so many of their old voters who have turned away from them.
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/29 ... _bolsonaro
Suggestion. Stop posting videos. Nobody watches them. Post a summary with relevant quotes. There's a good chap.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]