Now even NPR is doing exposes on the deep state - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Hosted by the The Chicago Council on Global Affairs.

During his first few weeks in the White House President Trump confronted a series of damaging leaks originating, he alleged, from within US intelligence community. Many of Trump’s allies argue that these disclosures prove the existence of a shadow government of ideologically-hostile bureaucrats, scheming to derail his presidency. Other world leaders have made similar assertions, including Turkey’s President Erdogan, who last summer clamped down on what he charged was a massive coup, orchestrated by a “deep state” conspiracy. How should these claims be assessed? Does insider plotting pose a real threat to elected governments, or are deep state accusations a political ploy?

This program is being recorded and will be broadcast on WBEZ's Worldview.

Michael J. Glennon is professor of international law at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He is the author of National Security and Double Government (2014).

Mike Lofgren is former Republican U.S. Congressional aide. Lofgren began his legislative career as a military legislative assistant to then-Representative John Kasich in 1983. In 1994, he was a professional staff member of the Readiness Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee.

From 1995 to 2004, he was budget analyst for national security on the majority staff of the House Budget Committee. From 2005 until his retirement in 2011, Lofgren was the chief analyst for military spending on the Senate Budget Committee.

“Guerrilla government” is Rosemary O’Leary’s term for public servants who work against the wishes—either implicitly or explicitly communicated—of their superiors in order to do what they think is right. This form of dissent is usually carried out by those who are dissatisfied with the actions of public organizations, programs, or people, but typically, for strategic reasons, choose not to go public with their concerns in whole or in part.

Journal Article
When Political Crimes Are Inside Jobs: Detecting State Crimes against Democracy
Lance deHaven-Smith
Administrative Theory & Praxis
Vol. 28, No. 3 (Sep., 2006), pp. 330-355

Abstract
Public administration theory and practice tend to overlook the possibility of state political criminality in liberal democracies. This article proposes a policy science to detect state crimes against democracy (SCADs), using social and political theory to understand when, why, how, and by whom such crimes are likely to be committed. After defining SCADs and differentiating them from other types of political crimes, the article analyzes SCADs in terms of antidemocratic tendencies posited by theories of liberal democracy. SCADs are traced to specific institutional objectives by analyzing patterns in SCAD targets, timing, and modus operandi. The role played by career civil servants in exposing government crimes and deceptions suggests that professional public administrators are a critical line of defense against the criminalization of the state.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/25610803?s ... b_contents

LANCE DEHAVEN-SMITH, Professor in the Reubin O'D. Askew School of Public Administration and Policy at Florida State University. A former President of the Florida Political Science Association, deHaven-Smith is the author of more than a dozen books, including The Battle for Florida, which analyzes the disputed 2000 presidential election. DeHaven-Smith has appeared on Good Morning America, the Today Show, NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, CBS Nightly News with Dan Rather, the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, and other national TV and radio shows.
Author David Talbot interviews author Peter Dale Scott upon the publication of Scott's book "The American Deep State". February, 2015

After receiving undergraduate degrees in philosophy (first-class honours) and political science (second-class honours) from McGill University in 1949, he studied at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques (1949) and University College, Oxford (1950-1952) before receiving a Ph.D. in political science from McGill in 1955. He briefly taught in McGill's political science department and spent four years (1957–1961) with the Canadian diplomatic service before joining the speech department of the University of California, Berkeley as a lecturer in 1961.

Scott has written about the role of the "deep state" (as opposed to the "public state"). Rejecting the label of "conspiracy theory", he has used the phrase "deep politics" to describe his political concerns.

Of Scott's book, American War Machine: Deep Politics, the CIA Global Drug Connection, and the Road to Afghanistan (2010), Daniel Ellsberg commented: "I said of Scott's last brilliant take on this subject, Drugs, Oil and War, that 'It makes most academic and journalistic explanations of our past and current interventions read like government propaganda written for children.' Now Scott has written an even better book. Read it!"
NPR receives a lil funding from the Gov. Anyway, I wrote this in TLTE: Funny how deep state is archetype, and conspiracy theory is fallacy. This is political schizophrenia.

Deep state = euphemism
Conspiracy theory= dysphemism

You should study the root before picking the fruit.

Secret societies run Gov. There will always be an exoteric and esoteric interpretation of reality. Deep state and conspiracy theory = noospheric pathogens or programs people run to conceptualize an exoteric reason for the esoteric nature of our perception of reality.

Tree of Life
Exoteric = fruit
Esoteric = root

Masons wouldn't approve this post. But I don't care, because I care about the species.
Rancid wrote:The so called deep state is basically just the Bureaucracy itself. It is made up of people with their own thoughts and ideas. I'm sure that can occasionally collide with elected officials and what not.

Yeah that's right. The deep state is the logical counter-point to an ephemeral elected establishment. The bureaucracy are in comparison are lifers, they may be faceless nobodies but they aren't going anywhere from one day to the next, even one decade to the next whereas elected officials come and go like the wind, so of course there is a power in that perennialism; they are dug in like ticks. And of course they are not mindles drones but willful hubris filled self-interested schemers just like the rest of us.
SolarCross wrote:The deep state is the logical counter-point to an ephemeral elected establishment.

You mean selected establishment. We never truly elect.

The bureaucracy are in comparison are lifers, they may be faceless nobodies but they aren't going anywhere from one day to the next, even one decade to the next whereas elected officials come and go like the wind, so of course there is a power in that perennialism; they are dug in like ticks. And of course they are not mindles drones but willful hubris filled self-interested schemers just like the rest of us.
You forget one crucial thing- perception trickles down and is compartmentalized.

Schemers are kept Need to know
Rancid wrote:The so called deep state is basically just the Bureaucracy itself.

Is that assessment based on your decades of experience working within it or your decades of scholarship on it? If not, then I'm gonna go with Lofgren and Glennon et al who actually know what they're talking about.
Sivad wrote:
Is that assessment based on your decades of experience working within it or your decades of scholarship on it? If not, then I'm gonna go with Lofgren and Glennon et al who actually know what they're talking about.

Decades of experience.
It is made up of people with their own thoughts and ideas

Said the guy using a language he didn't create. Most people run perceptional programs, Rancid. Self-referential biological computations interpret a ground/figure dialectic.

Decades of experience.

Exactly.

Sivad wrote:I'm gonna go with Lofgren and Glennon et al who actually know what they're talking about.
Do they really, or are they conspiracy theorists. ;) How accurate can a finite mind be?
Sivad wrote:The Dual State: Parapolitics, Carl Schmitt and the National Security Complex
Chapter 8 Dual State: The Case of Sweden

Ola Tunander
research professor at the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO, Norway)1987-2017, lecturer at the U.S. Center for Naval Analyses and Naval Postgraduate School
There has always been a dual state or internal-external narrative, Sivad. This isn't a product of modernity. It's inherent in all of us. I'm sure it's exciting to see academia "scientifically" explore the human condition. :lol:

The deep state is a moment of self realization.
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 29 Oct 2018 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Lombardi (March 23, 1951 – March 22, 2000) was an American neo-conceptual artist who specialized in drawings that document alleged financial and political frauds by power brokers, and in general "the uses and abuses of power"

Lombardi called his diagrams Narrative Structures.[5] They are structurally similar to sociograms – a type of graph drawing used in the field of social network analysis, and to a lesser degree by earlier artists like Hans Haacke. Other important influences on Lombardi were philosopher Herbert Marcuse,[2] and visualization expert Edward Tufte.[6]

Robert Hobbs, one of the independent curators who organized and wrote the explanatory prose for "Global Networks", corroborates that both the FBI and Homeland Security were interested in the drawings.[7]

In Lombardi's historical diagrams, each node or connection was drawn from news stories from reputable media organizations, and his drawings document the purported financial and political frauds by power brokers.[3]

According to Hobbs, who faced the overwhelming task of fact-checking Lombardi:

"Certain things that are listed in the drawing are in red. These represent court judgments, actual dollar amounts. That is verifiable information. And I think that Lombardi himself realized that not everything could be verified. So I think what you have instead is names. We know about connections of names. Exactly what is that connection is hard to characterize. So that is a line with an arrow in one direction, or an arrow in two directions. So it's really the abstract component of the work of art. It's what can be represented, and – really – what cannot be represented."[7]

For instance, his 1999 drawing "George W. Bush, Harken Energy, and Jackson Stephens, ca 1979–90" shows alleged connections between James Bath, the Bush and bin Laden families, and business deals in Texas and around the world. Following Lombardi's suicide in 2000, the book Mark Lombardi: Global Networks was written in conjunction with a traveling exhibit.[5] The editors chose to incorporate into the cover artwork (see image at right) a detail from "George W. Bush, Harken Energy, and Jackson Stephens, ca 1979–90", showing George W. Bush (on the back cover of the book) and Osama bin Laden (in the upper left of the front cover) separated by one step from each other in the network, via Bath; the same connection between Bush and bin Laden was also highlighted in a 2003 Boston Globe article that described the FBIs interest in Lombardi's works immediately following the September 11 attacks of 2001.[8]

Other subjects that interested Lombardi and were covered in his works include:

Chicago Outfit
Meyer Lansky
The P2 conspiracy, Michele Sindona, Roberto Calvi
World Finance Corporation
Nugan Hand Ltd.[9]
Gerald Bull, Project Babylon, Space Research Corporation
Iran–Contra, Lake Resources of Panama and Oliver North
Global International Airways and the Indian Springs State Bank
The Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and the arming of Saddam Hussein
Charles Keating, Lincoln Savings (a subsidiary of American Continental Corporation)
BCCI and ICIC
Harken Energy Scandal, George W. Bush, James R. Bath, and Jackson T. Stephens
Hans Kopp, Shakarchi Trading AG
United Press International, and its attempted takeover by Pat Robertson with the aid of Beurt SerVaas.
Jackson T. Stephens, the Lippo Group, and Bill Clinton; also, Clinton, the Lippo Group, and China Ocean Shipping Co.

^ As if institutions are transparent. Why are you trying to prove humans lie? It should be self-evident. It's your right to come across these truths for the 1st time, so have at it. I'll leave you with this excerpt from a McLuhan letter.

To Ezra Pound (1953)

Dear Pound

Last year has been spent in going through rituals of secret societies with fine comb. As I said before I'm in a bloody rage at the discovery that the arts and sciences are in the pockets of these societies. It doesn't make me any happier to know Joyce, Lewis, Eliot, yourself have used these rituals as a basis for art activity.

Combine that with Orwell's description of art- All art is propaganda.
“a hybrid association of elements of government and parts of top-level finance and industry that is effectively able to govern the United States without reference to the consent of the governed as expressed through the formal political process.”

“The emergence and the culmination of illiberal elements and tendencies in our supposedly liberal democracy.” - Mike Lofgren

Jack Goldsmith, a law professor at Harvard University and former Bush administration legal adviser to the General Counsel of the Department of Defense and Assistant Attorney General, likewise maintains the deep state is a very real phenomenon and suggests in his essay “Paradoxes of the Deep State” and in Can it Happen Here? (2018) that it is the source of damaging leaks against the president, including that which led to the resignation of national security adviser Mike Flynn in February 2017.

The media is obviously no longer serving the public’s interest. We are banning speech. We have hate laws. We are censoring the internet that was hailed as world freedom from censorship. People are repeating meaningless propaganda hate slogans instead of rational debate. Those supposedly wanting equality for all are manipulated into supporting global authoritarianism as a means to supposedly achieve it.

Meanwhile, people believe the ‘deep state’ is a conspiracy theory. My god, how much evidence do you need that even your thoughts are being controlled? Does it matter if it is 5 guys in a dark room or a bunch of random people with the same delusions?

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

How was my take empathetic? I was specifically i[…]