A Hundred Years After the Armistice. Did your relatives fight in WWI and were there lessons learnt? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Victoribus Spolia wrote:I had no kindred in that war to my knowledge.

My maternal Grandfather was a Fighting Seabee in WWII in the D-Day invasion and was also in Okinawa (both fronts).

He was a deep-south carpenter from Louisiana before the war and became a welder on the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico afterwards before marrying a yankee and moving to her home state of Pennsylvania. My mother was youngest of their seven kids.

As for WWI and the lessons learned?

WWI was supposed to be the triumph of democracy as a superior system to that of monarchy and aristocracy.

Those who believed such were gravely mistaken, history has born this out.

@Victoribus Spolia ,

I would say that WWI was just the initial phase of a ''30 years war'' fought for (or against) German hegemony over Europe and thus, the world (1914-1945). In Germany, Monarchy and Aristocracy were still at the table, so to speak.

Beginning in 1985, forces were set in motion to continue with another round of wars to succeed where other Germanic rulers had failed, but not before the former Allied powers were mortally weakened and set at each other's throats, in say, 70 years or so from those earlier times... 2015 on.

This next round of wars related to WW1 that I project, will reduce everything in the Western World and much else to rubble.
As we all know WWI was supposed to be the war to end all wars.
On the 11th Hour, on the 11th Day, on the 11th Month exactly One hundred Years after Armistice this is a most important message.

[center-img]http://i66.tinypic.com/wt69ue.jpg[/center-img]
Well Ozzy my twelve year old son was centre stage tonight as he was on his own playing the Last Post at the village centenary celebrations of the Armistice on his trumpet. The village beacon was lit is to symbolise the light of peace ruling over the darkness of war.
There were several hundred villagers there. Ozzy won't forget this ever.

[center-img]http://i67.tinypic.com/1znbig8.jpg[/center-img]
Sivad wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tclAbWvBt70

Retarded nonsense. WWI started because of French nationalist expansionist aggression, seeking to steal Alsace Lorraine back from Germany. British and American intervention was due to the stupid, arrogant, bullying response of the German leadership to the initial French / Russian Serbian aggression. Yes of course there were war mongering bigots like Gray and Churchill itching for war with Germany, but it was the stupid western attack, in the summer of 1914, into France, Belgium and Luxembourg that caused the British intervention and laid the basis for American involvement.
Rich wrote:Retarded nonsense. WWI started because of French nationalist expansionist aggression, seeking to steal Alsace Lorraine back from Germany. British and American intervention was due to the stupid, arrogant, bullying response of the German leadership to the initial French / Russian Serbian aggression. Yes of course there were war mongering bigots like Gray and Churchill itching for war with Germany, but it was the stupid western attack, in the summer of 1914, into France, Belgium and Luxembourg that caused the British intervention and laid the basis for American involvement.

That doesn't contradict anything in the video. You're talking about triggers while Corbett is explaining drivers. You have a superficial grasp of the history.
Sivad wrote:That doesn't contradict anything in the video. You're talking about triggers while Corbett is explaining drivers. You have a superficial grasp of the history.

:lol: This guy is so full of shit.

17 seconds in, no there was no working clock shortage in November 1918. Its amazing the length that these pathetic fantasists will go to sustain there historical comfort blankets.

24 seconds, no WWI didn't come to an end it continued in Eastern Germany, Poland, the Baltics, Hungary, the Ukraine, Russia, Greece and Turkey.

1 min 41. No the world did not vow never again.
Rich wrote:17 seconds in, no there was no working clock shortage in November 1918. Its amazing the length that these pathetic fantasists will go to sustain there historical comfort blankets.

The video doesn't say anything like that, you just totally made that up. Total pofo move. :lol:

24 seconds, no WWI didn't come to an end it continued in Eastern Germany, Poland, the Baltics, Hungary, the Ukraine, Russia, Greece and Turkey.

On 11 November, at 5:00 am, an armistice with Germany was signed in a railroad carriage at Compiègne. At 11 am on 11 November 1918—"the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"—a ceasefire came into effect.

1 min 41. No the world did not vow never again.

:knife: It's a slogan that's been around since directly after WWI. It's been used in Remembrance Day speeches, it's on monuments and memorials, it was on posters and pamphlets. If you knew anything about the history you'd be aware of it.

Somebody here is certainly full of shit and talking out their ass and it ain't the guy in the video. :knife:
Specifically, @Sivad , what are the similarities you see between the 2 videos you posted? There's a transcript for the first here: https://www.corbettreport.com/wwi/ so people don't have to sit through it all. The 2nd is nearly 2 hours long, and first up it's a boring discussion on how research was done into British naval aims in the 1900s, suggesting that they didn't want to rely on just dreadnaughts after all, and weren't just thinking about Germany. What has that to do with the Cecil Rhodes-drive conspiracy painted in the first? Please give timestamps if you want anyone to accept what you say about what a video says.
My grandfather was too young. However, he was doing a man's job at Dean Clough Mills in Halifax, Yorkshire while the men were off at war. His first cousins fought in the war. All three of them died. One was with the Royal Marines, one was with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and one was with the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment. One was "blown to bits" as they used to say, one died in hospital in London with most of his face blown off, and another died at Ypres due to the effect of mustard gas.

Lessons learned: teenagers can do a man's industrial job, British officers had much better woolen coats than enlisted men, and war well and truly sucks.
My grandfather fought in WWI. He was an infantryman and among the first American troops committed to battle. He fought in many battles and was gassed more than once. He later died of lung cancer at the age of 53 shortly after I was born.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Specifically, @Sivad , what are the similarities you see between the 2 videos you posted?

Neiberg argues that the war wasn't a structural inevitability, that it was a contingent outcome resulting from the decisions of individuals. That supports Corbett's claim that a coterie of influential war hawks within the British establishment were a driving force behind the events that led up to the outbreak of war.

Kate Epstein makes the case that the war resulted from the 'Anglo-German antagonism' and the competing alliance system. That the rise of Germany brought British imperialism to a crisis in which Britain had to decide whether to fall back from its imperial project or "lean forward" as global hegemon. That is all in keeping with the narrative laid out by Corbett.
Donald Trump‘s visit to a First World War cemetery was called off because of poor weather. I have always thought that the end of the First World War is not a big deal and it is mainly the French who want celebrate the Armistice by inviting world leaders every year to make France matter for the rest of the world. The total number of casualties of the First World War was 20 million, which is only one-fourth of that of the Second World War, and there was no holocaust or atomic bombing. The worst part of the First World War is how it ended with the Treaty of Versailles, which was the direct cause of the rise of nazism.

Yes, we know you believe Amit Soussana is a liar ([…]

Do you get paid a certain amount of money for ev[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]