Sanctions: a lesson for 99% of Westerners - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Libya's Human Development Index
image courtesy of tradingeconomics

Sanctions (and subsequent bombing campaigns) can teach a valuable lesson to workers and the non-rich in Western and allied societies. The societies that often are called on to bomb poorer countries.

When people in Venezuela, Iraq, Libya, and many other countries start re-organizing their societies in ways that redistribute resources to more of the local population, when they introduce social programs that increase their own human development index, when they use local resources to improve the lot or salvage the survival of the local 99% - corporations can't help but to sanction or bomb them. With no remorse.

Why? Because corporations (and this includes banks) can't tolerate any reduction in their own profits. They are profit-seeking entities. And that is all.
If the potential profits of a nation's labor are redistributed like they were in Libya (with its fabulous social programs, and best-in-Africa human development index pre NATO-destruction), and this lowers profit or profit-potential, then corporate entities are forced to conclude "these people must be destroyed. By sanctions or warfare, whatever is needed." They discretely remind everyone that:

"We will kill you if you touch our profits. We have no other empathy for anything other than profit."

So just imagine, at some future date, where war, debt, or environmental degradation force Americans (or the Spanish, or Dutch, or Canadians) to nationalize production of food or other commodities in order to help citizens survive a calamity.

What will corporations do then?

"We will kill you if you touch our profits. We have no other empathy for anything other than profit."

They will proceed to sabotage the economy and rob ordinary people of medicine and food, just like in Venezuela (or Libya, or Syria, or....). The local oligarchs will work with multinationals to make the economy (of the USA) scream. Just like ordinary Venezuelans (or Libyans, or Hondurans, or...), ordinary Americans will be holding their bellies with famine and denied basic health care and social services... in order to let corporations reclaim their profits.

Corporations can't act any other way. They were created as profit-driven Frankensteins of commerce.

soundtrack
What this tells me is the west should employee the CHinese model for colonization.

Do not bomb them, instead offer them loans, and wait until they default. Once they default, demand ports/lands and other strategic assets. :eek:
Rancid wrote:What this tells me is the west should employee the CHinese model for colonization.

Do not bomb them, instead offer them loans, and wait until they default. Once they default, demand ports/lands and other strategic assets. :eek:

There's nothing Chinese about this at all.

Latin America and Africa have been plundered by American, French and British banking corporations.

Virtually all Western economies are indebted enough to be plunderable in much the same way.

And FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS seem to be "pre-plunder" contracts that corporations are writing for themselves now that they control almost all capitalist (corporate owned, "democratic") national and regional governments.
QatzelOk wrote:There's nothing Chinese about this at all.

Latin America and Africa have been plundered by American, French and British banking corporations.

Virtually all Western economies are indebted enough to be plunderable in much the same way.

And FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS seem to be "pre-plunder" contracts that corporations are writing for themselves now that they control almost all capitalist (corporate owned, "democratic") national and regional governments.

Fair enough, that's what has been done with the IMF.
Rancid wrote:What this tells me is the west should employee the CHinese model for colonization.

How do you think the British Empire expanded so rapidly during the 19th century, Rancid? If anything, the Chinese are using the British model. :eh:
Potemkin wrote:How do you think the British Empire expanded so rapidly during the 19th century, Rancid? If anything, the Chinese are using the British model. :eh:

I thought they just used war and bombs.... :hmm:
Toppling Ghadaffi was indeed a mistake and it was obvious what was going to happen I remember back in 2011 how many folks here on pofo cheered while me Igor and some other guys said it was going to be a disaster but they kept laughing and cheering

anyway I support the toppling of Maduro but only because it serve the interest of US and Israel and because its far away and not going to directly affect us.
Rancid wrote:I thought they just used war and bombs.... :hmm:

You need to crack open some history books, Rancito.... :eh:
annatar1914 wrote:Wasn't it Lenin who stood von Clausewitz on his ear and said that it was; ''politics is the continuation of war by other means''?

I believe it was, annatar1914. And it remains true today. All true politics is based on struggle.
Potemkin wrote:I believe it was, annatar1914. And it remains true today. All true politics is based on struggle.

And the illusion of liberalism as politics is a modus vivendi that leaves outside it idealized purview such struggles found in civil society.
Potemkin wrote:I believe it was, annatar1914. And it remains true today. All true politics is based on struggle.

Funny how some Capitalists understand that better than many on the Faux Left, is it not? But I believe too that this was predicted as well, that many if not most Capitalists would be more class conscious and aware of their overall interests as a class, than the Proletariat would be, at first.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:...I support the toppling of Maduro but only because it serve the interest of US and Israel and because its far away and not going to directly affect us.

The principle being used to destroy a foreign country is what is interesting and will eventually affect you as well (unless you're in the 1%).

Israel was created partly to ensure the profits of oil companies and international banks. The minute Israelis don't serve that function, corporations will happily fry you with bombs like they've done to so many other human populations who dared get in the way of profit-accumulation.

With pollution crises (drought, temperature change, etc.) and other problems, many local populations might find themselves exporting all their food (for the profit of private companies) while locals starve. When this happens, local populations will finally understand that multinational corporations have no loyalty to any nation or people.

That oil companies are destroying so much of the environment of many job-starved regions of North America right now seems to be the proof that no nation's long-term survival is in any way the concern of these profit-driven monsters.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Toppling Ghadaffi was indeed a mistake and it was obvious what was going to happen I remember back in 2011 how many folks here on pofo cheered while me Igor and some other guys said it was going to be a disaster but they kept laughing and cheering

anyway I support the toppling of Maduro but only because it serve the interest of US and Israel and because its far away and not going to directly affect us.

And doing the same crap in Syria by sending arms and money to 'moderate Islamists' despite warnings it'll reach Daesh, ISIL itself, etc. The Western imperialists are fuckheads that keep using the same script
redcarpet wrote:And doing the same crap in Syria by sending arms and money to 'moderate Islamists' despite warnings it'll reach Daesh, ISIL itself, etc. The Western imperialists are fuckheads that keep using the same script

Syria is a different story
destabilizing Syria is a prime interest for Israel
eventually Assad got what he deserved. it was the Syrian and Iranian rockets that did the most damage to Israel in 2006 war
we fucked them by supporting their enemies which have devastated the entire country

We haven't forgotten about Iran we will get to them too
redcarpet wrote:And doing the same crap in Syria by sending arms and money to 'moderate Islamists' despite warnings it'll reach Daesh, ISIL itself, etc. The Western imperialists are fuckheads that keep using the same script

They're using the same on Venezuela right now but for some reason you support that one.
skinster wrote:They're using the same on Venezuela right now but for some reason you support that one.

The Permanent Lie has a different dynamic than the day-to-day lying of late capitalism.

The Permanent Lie that Chris Hedges talks about in the linked article is maintained through restricting official discourse to "talking points" which are often filled with weasel words.

Sanctions are typically never mentioned as a cause of misery in the countries that the Empire targets.

The Misery that results from them is blamed on "the regime" of a "thug" who "didn't hold a fair election" and uses "violence" on his "innocent protestors" who are "exercising their democratic right" to hold "peaceful protests" in order to "uphold the constitution."

Talking points (lies) in order to justify the human atrocities of corporations.

Why do you believe your life is of any more value to corporations than a Venezuelan life?

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the question of why is the Liberal so stupid, i[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]