Greta’s very corporate children’s crusade - Page 37 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Pants-of-dog wrote:You seem to be going out of your way to be a victim here.

Now, can you actually mention a problem with her message?

Oligarchs want to impose green austerity. Because the people who became billionaires by dominating all of your consumer choices now want to grow even richer by ensuring you can buy nothing???

It's almost as if the reason Sivad doesn't want to make his argument is because even the most surface level explanation demonstrates such a lack of coherent thought that it's genuinely a better choice to cry about being persecuted.
There's definitely a difference between austerity (entirely superstitious and punitive measures that are largely designed to assign guilt to the working class for crises created by capital accumulation) and carbon pricing, which benefits the global south at only a small inconvenience for consumers in rich nations.

The main problem with carbon pricing is that it's being pushed by neolib interests that are trying to co-opt the climate justice movement so that they can keep the commies out.
As a response to Sivad, Pants-of-dog wrote:You seem to be going out of your way to be a victim here.

Now, can you actually mention a problem with her message?

The problem has already been mentionned but you refuse to admit it. It's where it's coming from, that is the problem.

Greta is not the leader of some eco-protection group fighting corporate mining companies in developing countries at the risk of her own life. She's a healthy Swedish teenager, backed up by a media complex that is in bed with the same mining operations.

If you don't want to get ripped off by corporations (again, like so many times in history), don't listen to their appointed spokesmodels.

Wilfrid Laurier was a kind of "Greta" of the minority's rights movement of the late 1800s, and his election allowed for the metis to be genocided, residential schools to be cemented into our history, and the dissapearance of French minorities all over Canada.

And your message in this thread is: "But the words are so beautiful... who cares where they're coming from."

This is criminal amnesia and gullibility, on your part. :eh:
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, thanks for clarifying that the "argument" is some sort of guilt by association ad hominem.

The whole "concept" of Greta is that TV viewers can "save the world" by just supporting a particular pop-star.

I don't know which will destroy the Earth first: climate change and other pollution, or media brainwashing's side effects on our collective and individual wisdom.
QatzelOk wrote:The whole "concept" of Greta is that TV viewers can "save the world" by just supporting a particular pop-star.

I don't know which will destroy the Earth first: climate change and other pollution, or media brainwashing's side effects on our collective and individual wisdom.

Where did you get this from?

Gretas argument is that change is required. I don't know anyone who thinks that watching someone on TV will solve global warming from fossil fuels.
BeesKnee5 wrote:Where did you get this from?

Gretas argument is that change is required. I don't know anyone who thinks that watching someone on TV will solve global warming from fossil fuels.

Are you saving the world right now, by paraphrasing a popstar?

I can do that too: "Sigourney Weaver wants everyone to recycle more."

There. I've done my part as well as you have.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Oligarchs want to impose green austerity. Because the people who became billionaires by dominating all of your consumer choices now want to grow even richer by ensuring you can buy nothing???

It's almost as if the reason Sivad doesn't want to make his argument is because even the most surface level explanation demonstrates such a lack of coherent thought that it's genuinely a better choice to cry about being persecuted.

bump

I meant to get to this little pofo gem but I'm on other platforms and I got a massive backlog of stupid. I'll get around to it tomorrow.
One of the most obnoxious and deceitful climate change deniers has died.

Cheerio Fred Singer, your links to the tobacco and oil industry will not be forgotten. Your attempt to destroy the career of Ben Santer and bankrupt Justin Lancaster through expensive law suits are your legacy.

I should feel sympathy for the loss of an old man, but as you can tell I am glad to see the back if another aged contrarian who had delayed decisive action on global warming in return for corporate coin.
BeesKnee5 wrote:One of the most obnoxious and deceitful climate change deniers has died.

Cheerio Fred Singer...

Actually, there is absolutely no proof that this man has died.

This appears to be just more propaganda from the Fred-Singer-has-died lobby, and all of their foreign sponsors like George Soros and the Koch brothers.

I have lots of peer-reviewed papers that show that this man is still very much alive and will be with us for many, many more years.

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]