The Popular Vote... - Page 14 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Finfinder
Rancid wrote:That doesn't answer my question at all..

Its called economic elasticity look it up and learn something. Then maybe you can then understand the depths of the response.

Rancid wrote:What is it with the likes of you, hindsight, and blackjack, being totally unable to answer a fucking question?

The fascinating things is that you actually think you've answered the question.

What is it about you and Drlee that you have to display and project your insecurities about intelligence with ad hominems towards posters in every response?
By Rancid
Verv wrote:I think that green technology and green consciousness could potentially lead to a decrease in the importance of urban centers.

Of course, that is not happening now, but I am talking about the long-term. We could see an emphasis on decentralization and limiting face-to-face meetings. There might be a greater emphasis on having people grow their own food.

And what about a post-scarcity economy? We are not there, but UBI is apparently being taken seriously by many people. There have already been experiments with it. Imagine a scenario where we have something similar -- we would probably structure it so that there is a greater balance and incentivize moving to low population areas. Moreover, low population areas are much cheaper.

Would you rather spend 90% of your UBI on rent & food in NYC, or would you rather spend 30% of your income on rent & food in Slickpoo, Idaho?

Yeah, if you are some 20 year old scumdog, sure, you want to go be IN DUH CLUB, but if you are a parent or a bookworm who likes nature (like the model human being should be), you will choose Slickpoo.

Concentrating in cities is better for the environment overall, than spreading out though. As for the cost of rent, simply increasing the hosing supply would be the answer. It's a solvable problem, the problem is, no one wants the value of their homes to flatten or drop because homes are more and more seen a primarily and investment, than a home.

I agree that you would need a cultural shift for cities to dominate how people live and work. Right at this moment, I would put my money that the future is in cities.
Verv wrote:I think that green technology and green consciousness could potentially lead to a decrease in the importance of urban centers.

Of course, that is not happening now, but I am talking about the long-term. We could see an emphasis on decentralization and limiting face-to-face meetings. There might be a greater emphasis on having people grow their own food.

And what about a post-scarcity economy? We are not there, but UBI is apparently being taken seriously by many people. There have already been experiments with it. Imagine a scenario where we have something similar -- we would probably structure it so that there is a greater balance and incentivize moving to low population areas. Moreover, low population areas are much cheaper.

Would you rather spend 90% of your UBI on rent & food in NYC, or would you rather spend 30% of your income on rent & food in Slickpoo, Idaho?

Yeah, if you are some 20 year old scumdog, sure, you want to go be IN DUH CLUB, but if you are a parent or a bookworm who likes nature (like the model human being should be), you will choose Slickpoo.

Correct the macro economic principles alone will would prevent 90% of the population from living in metropolitan big cities with or without government policy manipulation.
By Drlee

In the not so long term we will deal with a society that does not need the number of workers we have now. Indeed that day has arrived, we just haven't internalized it yet. In that environment I could see a move to rural living for the reasons you mention. For example, cheap housing and small farms. Maybe even a move to more collective living as groups of people, not required to work full time if at all, band together in self supporting interest groups.

This is happening now. There is a retirement community not far from me (age 45 and up) that is marketed to college graduates who wish to associate with other like minded people who want to continue their intellectual and artistic pursuits in "retirement". There are many people retiring earlier these days and this upscale community offers single family housing and every amenity. They even have a couple of minorities. Who'd a thunk.

By the time most people on this forum are my age the notion that everyone works will have pretty much ended.
By Finfinder
Drlee wrote::lol:
Trump would be so proud of you. You just parroted the garbage he wants the dumber of his followers to believe. Guess it worked.

I live in a bright red city and work with homeless folks. If you think that homelessness, disease and crime are democrat created issues you are out of your mind. But it is an easy sell to say it when the people you are speaking to could not pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

So you think you made me look bad yet you chose a red city to live in. :lol:
By Rancid
The thing about homelessness is that republicans are better at hiding it. Mainly because they find ways to put these people in prison.
Last edited by Rancid on 01 Nov 2019 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
By Drlee
So you think you made me look bad yet you chose a red city to live in.

Yes. The need is so great here and the republican establishment can't be bothered to try to find a solution. They are long on rhetoric and short on solutions. :roll:

Oh. And what Rancid said.
By Finfinder
Drlee wrote:Yes. The need is so great here and the republican establishment can't be bothered to try to find a solution. They are long on rhetoric and short on solutions. :roll:

Oh. And what Rancid said.

So why did you not choose a blue city to live in, and evidence on the what Rancid said. Was it because the difference is in blue cities they let the homeless defecate anywhere they want and in a red cities you don't have to worry about stepping in it? So do you like the idea of locking up the homeless or not you benefit from it?

Bipartisanship is an idea of the past wouldn't matter if s they found a solution or not it would just get blocked by the Democrats and in the future whichever party is in control.
By late
Finfinder wrote:
Bipartisanship is an idea of the past wouldn't matter if s they found a solution or not it would just get blocked by the Democrats and in the future whichever party is in control.

These things come and go.

If you have destroyed comity, you've destroyed the country. The government was designed to work with compromise. If that fails, some other means of governing will emerge.

It's not typically a pretty process getting a dictator or autocrat.
By Finfinder
late wrote:These things come and go.

If you have destroyed comity, you've destroyed the country. The government was designed to work with compromise. If that fails, some other means of governing will emerge.

It's not typically a pretty process getting a dictator or autocrat.

Not sure 100 % what you meant but I don't think we are ever going back to compromise. You can thank mostly the Democrats for lowering the bar.
By late
Finfinder wrote:
Not sure 100 % what you meant but I don't think we are ever going back to compromise. You can thank mostly the Democrats for lowering the bar.

You make it too easy.

"A little over a year ago, a 28-year veteran Republican congressional staffer, Mike Lofgren, decided to leave his job, but he didn’t go quietly...

"The GOP, Lofgren argued in the aftermath of the debt-ceiling debacle, increasingly resembled “an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe” in which “a disciplined minority of totalitarians can use the instruments of democratic government to undermine democracy itself.”

https://www.amazon.com/Party-Over-Republicans-Democrats-Useless/dp/0143124218
By Finfinder
late wrote:You make it too easy.

"A little over a year ago, a 28-year veteran Republican congressional staffer, Mike Lofgren, decided to leave his job, but he didn’t go quietly...

"The GOP, Lofgren argued in the aftermath of the debt-ceiling debacle, increasingly resembled “an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe” in which “a disciplined minority of totalitarians can use the instruments of democratic government to undermine democracy itself.”

https://www.amazon.com/Party-Over-Republicans-Democrats-Useless/dp/0143124218

Apologies I'm not sure what language that was, no idea what your talking about. I hope you are not a U Maine grad.
By late
Finfinder wrote:
Apologies I'm not sure what language that was, no idea what your talking about. I hope you are not a U Maine grad.

You have a limited understanding of the language, what you don't know is the topic.
By Finfinder
late wrote:You have a limited understanding of the language, what you don't know is the topic.

WTF are you talking about LOL: Im talking about bipartisanship and you post something about 28 year congressional staffer. You seem confused.
By late
Finfinder wrote:
WTF are you talking about LOL: Im talking about bipartisanship and you post something about 28 year congressional staffer. You seem confused.

"The GOP increasingly resembled “an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe”

Mad, bad and dangerous to know..
By Verv
I think the issue is that plenty of low skill jobs are going away in the sense that technology is destroying them, but I believe that technology is also creating loads of other jobs, and many people are now even investing a lot of time and money into structuralized socializing through things like yoga classes or signing up to take art courses.

I am no expert, though.

Regardless, the notion that we need infinite more immigrants without any skilled labor capabilities is patently absurd, that much we can agree on.

Rancid wrote:Concentrating in cities is better for the environment overall, than spreading out though. As for the cost of rent, simply increasing the hosing supply would be the answer. It's a solvable problem, the problem is, no one wants the value of their homes to flatten or drop because homes are more and more seen a primarily and investment, than a home.

I agree that you would need a cultural shift for cities to dominate how people live and work. Right at this moment, I would put my money that the future is in cities.

I would have thought that having people independently grow significant portions of their own food would have a very positive impact. it takes away the need to ship things halfway across the country -- something that really is the norm now.
By Rancid
Verv wrote:I would have thought that having people independently grow significant portions of their own food would have a very positive impact. it takes away the need to ship things halfway across the country -- something that really is the norm now.

This can be done in a city? Aren't there tech startups around multistory greenhouse city farms now?
By late
The government plays a huge role in this stuff.

We should put our focus on small to medium size farms across the country, and sustainable methods.

Factory farming is just disgusting, and the sooner we start moving away from it, the better off we will be.
By Finfinder
late wrote:The government plays a huge role in this stuff.

We should put our focus on small to medium size farms across the country, and sustainable methods.

Factory farming is just disgusting, and the sooner we start moving away from it, the better off we will be.

You are the gift that keeps giving to me. I happened to know a great deal about that subject and that statement is as about as much of a fantasy as 90 % of the population living in cities.

Personally I think we should get rid of all types of transportation and just use transporters like they do on Star Trek. :D
By late
Finfinder wrote:
You are the gift that keeps giving to me. I happened to know a great deal about that subject and that statement is as about as much of a fantasy as 90 % of the population living in cities.

Good.

Now prove it and talk about how European countries support small to medium size farms.

Oh wait, you can't.

In the Midwest, the Wheat Belt is moving into Canada, and they will eventually run out of water. In California, once we do rational carbon pricing, the costs will put a lot of the industrial farms out of business.

IOW, we will need to adapt to the changing circumstances, and small to medium sized farms will be part of it.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]