Songs about nothing at all - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

soundtrack

Making songs... about nothing at all.

Pop music is a kind of brain poison that numbs your mind so as to prepare you for the commercials that are the reason pop music exists.

I remember a decade of my life (in the 80s) when a few artists were able to become semi-famous with lyrics that were actually about important things (punk rock, new wave, the Clash, Sex Pistols, etc). Most of the subjects these groups touched on were about social decay and political crimes against nations that can't defend themselves.

But that didn't last. After a few talkings to by managers, producers and other moneymen, music was back to saying nothing. The themes that returned were: "I miss you," "I love you," "I couldn't live without you," and "you are my everthing."

That's about it.

By providing the audience with something it doesn't receive on a daily basis (affection from a community that doesn't exist when you're always in a car), pop music is able to make you feel like you're finally receiving the general affection that every animal needs. Oh, and while you're here, here are some commercials from other people who really love you - our sponsors.

Making songs... about nothing at all.

The lyrics and themes are void and forgetable so that they can mean anything the (driver) listener wants it (needs it) to mean. This provides the best mental environment for the propaganda that follows.

And now this message from our sponsors....

I've suspected that pop music is brain poison since my 17th birthday.

On my 17th birthday, July 24 1862, the New York Times wrote:Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini banned all music from Iranian radio and television yesterday because, he said, it is “no different from opium.”

Music, the 79‐year old revolutionary leader said, “stupefies persons listening to it and makes their brain inactive and frivolous.”

At the time, most music on the radio was disco or country-fied pop. "I feel love" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise."
A few decades later, another Iranian spokesmen - the president at the time - bolstered the distaste for decadent Western melodies.

The Guardian UK wrote:The Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has banned western music from state radio and TV stations, it was announced today.
It means music including Rush, by Eric Clapton, and Hotel California, by the Eagles, both of which regularly accompany Iranian broadcasts, will be outlawed.

Notice it was British and American media that took notice of these bans on Western ear-worms. In other words, it was media products that are part of the same conglomerates that were protecting their bottom lines, and not defending any kind of principles except - FREE-DUMB - the freedom to make people dumb via sound-worms.
I listen to it (you kind of have to when you're at work and whatnot), but I don't understand people who listen to nothing but (the latest) pop music. These people often think you're boring and weird if you tell them that you like classical music, or think that you're a clown for liking heavy metal or folk music. I've also noticed that such people are very unlikely to think outside of the box when it comes to politics, history subjects and so on.

Whatever is being pushed in the mainsteam, they buy it. I've said it before, but the masses are asses. They really are. They don't want to think for themselves. They don't want to be different. They don't want to stand out. They don't want to be seen as weird or clowns. Why? Because they're afraid to be left out or condemned. So they go along to get along.
Code Rood wrote:...people often think you're boring and weird if you tell them that you like classical music, or think that you're a clown for liking heavy metal or folk music. I've also noticed that such people are very unlikely to think outside of the box when it comes to politics, history subjects and so on.

A lot of classical music was the POP music of another time. So it probably worked in keeping people in "the box" of a different time as well. Of course, there are no lyrics in most classical music, so the propaganda potential is more limited: pleasant chord sequences, clever structure, and repeated hooks (just like modern pop).

Perhaps the most important function of classical music was to suggest that ... everything is under control. The Elites have a plan and a complex structure for your life, just like the composers of their music.

It's just another box, isn't it. The Elites have never had things under control. They just intimidate and steal from everyone else while listening to Bach and Telemann. And your brain, if not sucked into the love-baby access of emotional weakness, is fooled into thinking there is some kind of Grand Plan behind all the current disorder.
By QatzelOk
quetzalcoatl wrote:Best song on the subject of Nothing.

I like how the lyrics start with 'Hey Ma, when you leave....' It really taps into an residual mother separation that humans rarely get over entirely, and thus renders them emotionally vulnerable to the ads.

But songs with "Baby, baby" and "Love, love" are even more common than songs about "her leaving."

The reason is that "Baby, baby, love, love" sends the listener into a state of infanthood, where he used to love and trust his mother in all her wisdom to take care of him.

Advertisers like this state of mind because the advertisings are then received like the wisdom of a mother when you're a baby. Because you're helpless at that tender age, you completely trust and depend on that persons advice and orders.

So after three minutes of Love, baby love, you then hear an ad, and it's like listening to your ma when you're a little, helpless, clueless baby. Of course you're going to do what she says, if you know what's good for you.

BUY INSURANCE FROM MY COMPANY. BUY GROCERIES AT MY STORE. STAY HOME THIS WEEKEND BECAUSE IT WILL RAIN. Baby, baby, love, love.
All classical music, by your definition, would be about "nothing at all". Are you ok? :eh:

Songs are all about how you feel about them. They aren't supposed to be some deep thing, but simply a way to remember or even feel a certain way.

I like a lot of pop music because it makes me feel good, and reminds me of good times I have had while listening to it.

Here, listen to some music to make you feel better, which in the end is what all music is about.
The beauty of music is that it can make you feel. Music can change lives. Songs can make people cry, laugh, dance, rage...whatever. Music can inspire ordinary people to do extraordinary things.

Because of music, I connected with 2 guys at work who eventually inspired me to finally pursue a formal degree to lift myself out of my current entry level job. Music can enable connections to be built. I know that I can change my life and be in control.

Sometimes all it takes is an uplifting melody to change attitudes.

I listen to all types of music including modern Pop. Different genres are for different moods. I like dance tracks, slow tracks, more poetic songs, angry songs, sad songs, peppy songs...I need variety.
Godstud wrote:All classical music, by your definition, would be about "nothing at all".

Not really. Their complexity and repeated hooks give the impression that society is made up of a complex order that is very beautiful. This is a lie, so this message is propaganda from the elites who want to maintain that order (Serfdom for the masses, chamber music in lush gardens for the rich).

Songs are all about how you feel about them. They aren't supposed to be some deep thing, but simply a way to remember or even feel a certain way.

MistyTiger wrote:The beauty of music is that it can make you feel.

Feelings are the vehicle on which propaganda acts on your opinions, and eventually, your decision-making process. If you want to have your decision-making process sidetracked by the music industry, by all means, drink that delicious kool-aid and emote away.

And GS, when you say music isn't supposed to be some deep thing, are you saying we should't even think about it? Does this apply to heroin, opium, and morphine as well? Just go with your emotions, and don't think too deeply about what you're ingesting? :eh:
@QatzelOk
Pop music is basically the fast food of music. It's a catch beat and tune, but nothing too deep or interesting. Much like fast food, fat, sugar, greese, salt, but not much else beyond that.

Godstud wrote:All classical music, by your definition, would be about "nothing at all". Are you ok? :eh:

Lots of classical songs do have a meaning though. The revolutionary Etude is a great example. Chopin wrote it because he was sickly and could not join the polish anti-Russia millitia or whatever. Instead, he 'fought' by writing songs.
QatzelOk wrote:

Feelings are the vehicle on which propaganda acts on your opinions, and eventually, your decision-making process. If you want to have your decision-making process sidetracked by the music industry, by all means, drink that delicious kool-aid and emote away.

It depends on what kinds of feelings we are discussing. Gut feelings tend to be based on instinct and those are not arbitrary or trivial types of feelings. Or are you referring to the moment by moment feelings? Feelings are not bad. Feelings can be confusing but they can also lead us to think. We can think about what a song means to us and what we should be doing, based on the mood we are in and circumstances around us. You are assuming that everyone just goes with the propaganda without questioning it which I think is untrue and unfair. I know that for myself, I think about the info I absorb and I decide how I want to act, based on a moral code and the teachings I have followed all my life. I know that there is no 'one size fits all' way of life or whatever. I do not follow fad diets or wear the trendy clothes, I just live modestly and honestly.

Not everyone is drinking that kool-aid, Qatz. Kool-aid is yucky and weird-looking, I never understood why people liked it. Even though I like songs by Justin Timberlake, I am not going to emulate his lifestyle and try to chase money and fame. I believe in working hard and living a quiet life away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds. You will not see me at the Grammy's in a swanky dress. :lol:
MistyTiger wrote:Gut feelings tend to be based on instinct and those are not arbitrary or trivial types of feelings.

Yes, sometimes instinct is involved. But education has a huge role to play in 'civilizing' our emotions; education changes the way we feel about things, and this changes the way we act, and what we decide.

At one time, churches played this educational role. Then the state took over.

But the music industry is the product of corporations, just like TV and film. Letting corporations have access to your emotions means that you are allowing the most destructive entities of our lifetimes access to your opinions and future decisions.

This is like letting Satan have your soul.

I have noticed that a lot of late-teens listen to music constantly, as I did when I was a late teen. It's almost like they're trying to block something out - their natural thoughts at an important time of their lives.

And who could blame them. In most modern, industrial societies, both free sexuality and free thinking are frowned upon. So instead of constantly remembering how sexually unsatisfied they are (biological first-order need), and how superficial and dumb the social order they group up in is (social, second-order need for community and belonging), they crowd their minds with ear-worms about nothing.

Morphine would work just as well and in a similar way: blocking development of both social and personal development by numbing the 'consumer.'

We don't question music (or alcohol) because they have been part of modern society since just after slavery and religion were invented. And both of these required mind-numbing routines.

Music numbness simply affects our ability to slave away for our masters FAR LESS than heroin or morphine numbness do, and this is why MUSIC has a positive connotation in Western societies, while heroin is looked at as mostly negative (unless being used to numb injured soldiers in our many wars.)
Last edited by QatzelOk on 19 Jan 2020 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
QatzelOk wrote:Image

I've suspected that pop music is brain poison since my 17th birthday.

At the time, most music on the radio was disco or country-fied pop. "I feel love" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise."
A few decades later, another Iranian spokesmen - the president at the time - bolstered the distaste for decadent Western melodies.

Notice it was British and American media that took notice of these bans on Western ear-worms. In other words, it was media products that are part of the same conglomerates that were protecting their bottom lines, and not defending any kind of principles except - FREE-DUMB - the freedom to make people dumb via sound-worms.

Funny enough , one of the punk bands you mentioned here ,
I remember a decade of my life (in the 80s) when a few artists were able to become semi-famous with lyrics that were actually about important things (punk rock, new wave, the Clash, Sex Pistols, etc). Most of the subjects these groups touched on were about social decay and political crimes against nations that can't defend themselves
, composed a song in reaction against that very thing , in regards to the Islamic Republic of Iran .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_the_Casbah#Lyrics I will say though that record executives will tend to suppress any content that is not commercial radio friendly , due to lyrics containing a contentious nature . It is what makes up "McWorld " . I might not get much out of it , especially as I am a homeschooled socially withdrawn asexual , whom doesn't really ever party , or date , as a general rule at least , but I still understand it's simple appeal . I just think that , like with food , people shouldn't fill up with just one sort of thing , such as fast food , but rather have a diverse balance of a variety of different types .
MistyTiger wrote:The beauty of music is that it can make you feel. Music can change lives. Songs can make people cry, laugh, dance, rage...whatever. Music can inspire ordinary people to do extraordinary things.

Because of music, I connected with 2 guys at work who eventually inspired me to finally pursue a formal degree to lift myself out of my current entry level job. Music can enable connections to be built. I know that I can change my life and be in control.

Sometimes all it takes is an uplifting melody to change attitudes.

I listen to all types of music including modern Pop. Different genres are for different moods. I like dance tracks, slow tracks, more poetic songs, angry songs, sad songs, peppy songs...I need variety.
Exactly , there is different songs for different purposes , and topics . And as this song points out , a song can have an impactful effect , and create a moving connotation .
Deutschmania wrote:Funny enough , one of the punk bands you mentioned here , , composed a song in reaction against that very thing , in regards to the Islamic Republic of Iran .

I remember this as one of the Clash's worst songs, lyrics-wise.

It's almost as if they HAD to record this song (and sign for it) if they wanted to be huge radio stars like Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.

The video is 'kinda political' with hacidic jews and turbanned arabs running through the desert with large black cars.

Looking back, this song is an embarassment to our culture as its 'politics' are incredibly superficial and undeveloped. Like a ten-year-old trying to describe international conflicts.

The 'Nothing at all' in this song is in its superficiality. It's a song about how little Westerner know or care about politics, and this 'not caring' includes the want-to-be-rich-and-famous pop stars that the industry selects.
QatzelOk wrote:Image

I have noticed that a lot of late-teens listen to music constantly, as I did when I was a late teen. It's almost like they're trying to block something out - their natural thoughts at an important time of their lives.

And who could blame them. In most modern, industrial societies, both free sexuality and free thinking are frowned upon. So instead of constantly remembering how sexually unsatisfied they are (biological first-order need), and how superficial and dumb the social order they group up in is (social, second-order need for community and belonging), they crowd their minds with ear-worms about nothing.

Morphine would work just as well and in a similar way: blocking development of both social and personal development by numbing the 'consumer.'

We don't question music (or alcohol) because they have been part of modern society since just after slavery and religion were invented. And both of these required mind-numbing routines.

Music numbness simply affects our ability to slave away for our masters FAR LESS than heroin or morphine numbness do, and this is why MUSIC has a positive connotation in Western societies, while heroin is looked at as mostly negative (unless being used to numb injured soldiers in our many wars.)

Music certainly can fill this role , as a means of thought control , used by various totalist cults , and I suppose also totalitarian states , according to the " BITE Model " .
7. Teaching thought-stopping techniques which shut down reality testing by stopping negative thoughts and allowing only positive thoughts, including:
a. Denial, rationalization, justification, wishful thinking
b. Chanting
c. Meditating
d. Praying
e. Speaking in tongues
f. Singing or humming
http://old.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php#thought But then again , repressing certain media , such as music , falls under information control .
2. Minimize or discourage access to non-cult sources of information, including:
a. Internet, TV, radio, books, articles, newspapers, magazines, other media
b.Critical information
c. Former members
d. Keep members busy so they don’t have time to think and investigate
e. Control through cell phone with texting, calls, internet tracking
http://old.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php#information The key question is whether or not the influence of the " cult " in question is destructive or not . https://freedomofmind.com/faq-items/whats-the-difference-between-a-destructive-cult-and-a-benign-cult/
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So have people given up on blaming that terrorist […]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]