Fear, the Far Right, and the Rise of “Doomsday” Prepping in Obama's America - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Pants-of-dog wrote:No, not from what I have seen.

The article you copied and pasted did not do that, and I assume you chose that one because it felt more alarming to you.

Nothing in that article says anything about preppers being dangerous, or white supremacists.

Well either you're just not looking or you're just pretending to be ignorant. I think it's the latter, based on your history.

Below is one of the many alarmist articles from the SPLC. This is published under their "Hatewatch" division or whatever, and I've highlighted all the goofy loaded buzzwords that is meant to imply that their specific enemies are somehow dangerous, but really have very little to do with anything they are writing about.

The New Bazaar: Survivalist ‘Prepper’ Conferences are Again Serving as Waypoints in the Traffic of Conspiracy Theories

Throughout the 1990s, gun expos and survivalist conferences served as waypoints for radical right conspiracies theories: bizarre ideas of chemicals in the air to control populations, weather controlling machines, hard-right conservative Americans fixated on a coming war where whites would have to defend a homeland.

Sold alongside AR-15s and long-range riflescopes were materials on a range of conspiracy theories about common law juries and “organic citizenry,” a precursor to the modern antigovernment “sovereign citizen” movement.

It was also easy to find vendors discreetly pedaling copies of the anti-Semitic Protocols of the Elders of Zion or John Birch Society pamphlets cautioning of a communist takeover of America. Other pamphlets told of federal prison camps for U.S. citizens being built in the woods. Even copies of books such as Hunter and The Turner Diaries by neo-Nazi National Alliance founder William Pierce–– tracts that inspired Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh –– were sold at such expos.

While racist tracts have all but disappeared as extremist ideas migrate further into the mainstream, the popularity of such conferences almost certainly stems from several causes: uncertain political times, a presidential campaign that exposed toxic tensions dividing the country on fault lines of race and class, and worries about the environment.

Others have noted a similar spike in appeal for survival preparation on the left, as well. President Trump’s election has led to extreme interest from those far outside the echo chamber of right-wing media.

There are dangers in the widespread appeal of preparing for the end, though, especially as conferences like PrepperCon risk serving as populist bazaars where conspiracy theories and [b]radical right ideas [/b]are free for public consumption without anything to correct the fallacy.

The idea of social collapse, ensuing martial law and the abandonment of Constitutional principles already frightens antigovernment extremists such as the Oath Keepers, a national group of former military and law enforcement personnel. The Oath Keepers' website, no stranger to fearful conspiracy theories, features near daily daily tips on how to survive a national collapse, or, when national affairs turn into a “SHTF” (Shit Hits the Fan) environment.

In one article this month, Oath Keeper Shorty Dawkins warned readers to be prepared for scenarios of “massive, or maybe just regional, grid down.”

“Be prepared,” Dawkins warned. “Better to be prepared than to be one of the victims.”

late wrote:Last time a prepper made national news was because he was a terrorist.

So? The last mass shooting we had in the US, the Molson Coors Shooting in Milwaukee, was an African American gun owner. I'm not here calling all African American gun owners potential mass shooters.
maz wrote:Well either you're just not looking or you're just pretending to be ignorant. I think it's the latter, based on your history.

Lol. Do you insult everyone who disagrees with you? Does that work for you?

Below is one of the many alarmist articles from the SPLC. This is published under their "Hatewatch" division or whatever, and I've highlighted all the goofy loaded buzzwords that is meant to imply that their specific enemies are somehow dangerous, but really have very little to do with anything they are writing about.

The New Bazaar: Survivalist ‘Prepper’ Conferences are Again Serving as Waypoints in the Traffic of Conspiracy Theories

Let us look at the first bolded phrase:

Throughout the 1990s, gun expos and survivalist conferences served as waypoints for radical right conspiracies theories: bizarre ideas of chemicals in the air to control populations, weather controlling machines, hard-right conservative Americans fixated on a coming war where whites would have to defend a homeland.

First of all, is it factually correct to say that gun expos and prepper expos were places where conspiracy theories from the radical right were spread? I think so.

Secondly, does the article say or imply that this is cause for alarm? I do not feel alarmed at the idea that extreme right wingers believe wrong things. Even their fear of an upcoming race war is not alarming, since the vast majority of these preppers are not brave enough to start any violence.

Can you explain how these bolded words are supposed to make anyone alarmed?

It's not just Mapuche, there are other indigenous[…]

Oh so we're now venturing into the anti-Semitic[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]

Then prove it.