China's Social Credit System - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Unthinking Majority wrote:I think beyond Hong Kong and Taiwan, war would be a major strategic error for China, and they aren't that dumb.

True, but Taiwan is a keystone economic/technology/manufacturing/supply chain center for the entire globe (no exaggeration here). A Taiwan in the hands of China is bad for every nation on earth. Hence why I think that it's very possible a broader military conflict could arise from China trying to take Taiwan.

Unthinking Majority wrote:Biden has already talked about forming a united front with other democracies to check China's power/abuse, which is good news: https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-trum ... 1609945027

Good news, but it won't be easy as the article say's. I'm sure Australia would be on board though. :lol:

Unthinking Majority wrote:There isn't much we can even do about it even if we wanted to.

There isn't, I agree.

However, it does make them look more evil, and would provide further justification for an alliance against them.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I think beyond Hong Kong and Taiwan, war would be a major strategic error for China, and they aren't that dumb.

Taiwan controls the world semiconductor business so the world cannot just give that up, although I don't think many realize this.
Robert Urbanek wrote:The smug dystopian assessment of China’s social credit system ignores a basic question: Have the Chinese found a way to deter and/or punish antisocial behavior without an expensive system of police, courts and prisons?

There's a lot of public support for this system in China because people believe it will reduce fraud and people skipping out on loans. I've also seen American media coverage present this as a progressive policy since people who would have previously been imprisoned for contempt of court are now banned from using planes and trains.
AFAIK wrote:There's a lot of public support for this system in China because people believe it will reduce fraud and people skipping out on loans. I've also seen American media coverage present this as a progressive policy since people who would have previously been imprisoned for contempt of court are now banned from using planes and trains.

There could be arguments here. I think a major problem with it is that it's paired with vast mass surveillance and repression of freedom of expression. If this system was nothing more than a swap for prison time then that's different. Personally I think fines (adjusted to income or net worth) are a suitable replacement to jail time in many cases where the perpetrator isn't a danger to the public.
What happens if you fail to pay the fine, though? You get taken to court and if you fail to pay up after that you will be found in contempt at which point you'd expect to go to prison.
Unthinking Majority wrote:There could be arguments here. I think a major problem with it is that it's paired with vast mass surveillance and repression of freedom of expression.

To be specific, the problem is in China. I will have less problem with, say, the United States doing this, even with the mass surveillance part.

Leftards like to assert the rich engaging in mass surveillance and exploit our money and numb our awareness.

Well, to be frank, I have three points to rebuke this.
1. The rich are just after our money.
2. We still have ways to evade them. Not having excessive desire beyond your basic needs is a very good way, and most people in developed countries should have enough consciousness to achieve this.
3. The riches in capitalistic societies do not have monopoly on power. It's very easy to find (or even manipulate if you are badass enough) them against each other.

In contrast, totalitarian regimes like China use that to suppress complaints to governmental power abuse, often with threats to freedom or even lives. And these regimes are surprisingly homogenous in enforcing this, because if they don't, usually it's time for their reckoning (i.e. death).
Odiseizam wrote:[1][1]

now go be dissident in China, even for coughing in wrong place points will be chop off
the problem is not how and why this will go in cities but in rural areas
at least there should be room for some freedom!?

What's Your Social Credit Score? ~ Truthstream Media
https://youtu.be/wP321Miy7zQ
This sounds like the system of rewards and punishments that cults use to brainwash people . https://shrink4men.com/2019/11/27/love-bombing-brainwashing-trauma-bonds-narcissists-and-borderlines-part-2/ It falls under behavior control , on the B.I.T.E. model . https://freedomofmind.com/cult-mind-control/bite-model/

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]