If walls don't work, why did Congress just erect one around its perimeter and top it with razorwire? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Police want to permanently fence off U.S. Capitol, prompting outrage from D.C mayor and some lawmakers

As politicians and the media spent 5 years campaigning against Trump building a border wall, we were told at length that walls don't work. Yet, in the space of a week or so after the 1/6 protests saw some of the protesters engage in a riot, Congress erected a steel fence around the Capitol and topped it with razor wire.

It seems that they do believe walls work after all.

Does anybody else here see the irony of that symbolism?
blackjack21 wrote:

No.

The two situations are completely different.

One is creating a defensive structure around a building (or is it a series of buildings??) in direct response to a violent riot by armed protesters that directly threatened the lives of people inside.

The other is an attempt to fence of an entire border with another country to try and stop illegal immigrants.

Chalk and cheese.
No, @blackjack21, he's saying that you are making a stupid comparison. :moron:

Fuck, you're simple these days. Trump-cultism must have sapped what little intellect you did have. :knife:

Want to compare car accidents with foodbanks, while you are at it?
Just wait until blackjack makes a connection with prisons.

Nobody is arguing the prison walls don't work. The primary difference in this comparison is that prison walls are designed to keep people in. The wall around Congress and Trump's border wall are designed to keep people out.
Pants-of-dog wrote:This wall will be as effective as the cops watching it.

If it is the same cops who let the rioters in and worked with them, this wall will be as effective as Trump’s wall on the Mexican border.

Trump's border wall is reported be almost %90 effective. I remember I read that related agencies says that they saw huge decline in illegal border crossing under Trump administration. It is combined with ICE and ICE agents.

Border wall is a success story for Trump administration and anti-immigration folks.
Istanbuller wrote:Trump's border wall is reported be almost %90 effective. I remember I read that related agencies says that they saw huge decline in illegal border crossing under Trump administration. It is combined with ICE and ICE agents.

Border wall is a success story for Trump administration and anti-immigration folks.

I doubt this very much.
blackjack21 wrote:So... you're saying walls do work then...

I grew up in a house where there were walls between each room, and between the inside and outside areas.

The idea was to keep the temperature more comfortable inside, no matter what the outside temperature.

And they totally worked at doing this.

People who are against walls had better live somewhere with constant 21degreeC temps and no wind.
blackjack21 wrote:Police want to permanently fence off U.S. Capitol, prompting outrage from D.C mayor and some lawmakers

As politicians and the media spent 5 years campaigning against Trump building a border wall, we were told at length that walls don't work. Yet, in the space of a week or so after the 1/6 protests saw some of the protesters engage in a riot, Congress erected a steel fence around the Capitol and topped it with razor wire.

As far as I am concerned, this is also stupid. Not because it wouldn't make a difference against rioters, it probably will. The key difference is wether you have enough policing force to ENFORCE the border. A 2000miles fence with a couple hundred officers to patrol against a couple quick immigrants and/or drug smugglers sneaking by, is not nearly the same shit as thousands of rioters attacking a relatively small area that can have a high degree of policing force per mile of the perimeter fence.
But this is beside the point, because i don't think this fence should exist either. This just nonsense rhetoric.
QatzelOk wrote:I grew up in a house where there were walls between each room, and between the inside and outside areas.

The idea was to keep the temperature more comfortable inside, no matter what the outside temperature.

And they totally worked at doing this.

People who are against walls had better live somewhere with constant 21degreeC temps and no wind.

Every time you write something I have to wonder if you are a real person or if you are an attempt at AI trying to string together a conversation. How is this even remotely relevant? He is talking about border/security fencing... I doubt they have any noticeable impact on the temperature of the capitol areas or the border wall makes it any warmer on the side of texas vs the side of Tijuana.
You don't like the temperature that mother earth is giving you? Shame on you! harming the planet making concrete and releasing CO2 and poisoning children so you can have a slightly warmer "inside".
Trump's problem is that he didn't realize the southern border was already fenced off, and that a lot of illegal migrants enter the US legally but overstay their visas etc, many coming in by plane.

The White House is surrounded by walls and tall gates/fences with armed security at specific gates that act as check points so only those authorized may enter the property. Sound familiar?

What I find hypocritical is that Hollywood celebs complained about the wall, but their big houses have big walls/hedges/gates around them, or they live in gated communities. This is because they want to prevent trespassers from coming onto their property. Sound familiar?

http://www.stardriveways.com/

About my play on the word 'wall,' XogGyux wrote:How is this even remotely relevant?

The opening post of this thread compares a thousand-mile border wall ... with a security wall around the USA's current mail-in government. These are very different things, and they have only been put together in order to create a (very strained) narrative.

I was pointing out that "wall" can mean very different things. And this is the most important way to *burn the witch* that the OP created out of old sheets and a scarecrow.
blackjack21 wrote:

What I see is your idiotic post.

If your guys weren't terrorists, we wouldn't have had to upgrade security. But look at the bright side, after the building is made more secure, that fence will come down.

But as long as we are on the subject, Trump's wall proposal was lunatic.
Lol, Xy Guy made himself look almost as dumb as blackjack here. If you live in a house in which walls exist you inherently know walls work. And the boarder wall, which already exists, does stop some people, but it also fucks up the landscape and ecosystem, and also it is indeed only as effective as the policing. The Great Wall of China seems to have been a failure. But actually Xy Guy isn't nearly as stupid as the TS with this shit.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCuLC-acEk https[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Wait a moment, I'll just quickly pick up the weapo[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]