Is humanity getting dumber and dumber? - Page 13 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

XogGyux wrote:I was initially referring to the original article by Sundeta et. al. that reported the reversal initially. (Sundet, J.; Barlaug, D.; Torjussen, T. (2004). "The end of the Flynn effect?: A study of secular trends in mean intelligence test scores of Norwegian conscripts during half a century". Intelligence. 32 (4): 349–62. doi:10.1016/j.intell.2004.06.004.) Which is the #9th citation in the study that you provided. The reason why I would consider reading these is to obtain the background information because it is useful for context. I am not planning on doing this for several reasons. For one, I have said many weeks ago that attempting to measure intelligence is problematic, especially when considering people from different time periods. Another issue, this week I am working (I work 7d on 7 days off) so I am swarmed and don't have time for extensive review of published material on the topic at hand.
However, we can point out a few notable things with this study and similar. The population evaluated is a population of male conscripts age 18-19. So we are talking about a very specific population. Generalization is an issue.

Interpretations is something that should be done careful, with expertise, background knowledge (when possible) and peer reviewed. I am hesitant to venture too far into this, apart from basic general "truisms" because I could fall victim of the same sort of distorted views that a layman person can when trying to interpret a COVID study paper, and we know how bad that can turn out. But, Since we are on this topic, let's put some things into perspective.

Take for instance the data points. Did you notice the graph that plots IQ points vs Year? Did you see anything weird in it?
Why is it, that the Y axis starts at the number 99 and finish in the number 103? Isen't that range a bit odd to you?
They provide some numbers down in their paper. In fact they mention :

So we can actually play a little bit with these numbers.
If we use the same range on the y axis as the researchers we get a similar graph.
But. What happens if we use a more appropriate range. After all, to get ~99% of the population, you would need 4 standard deviations below and above the mean. Four standard deviations includes the values between 70 and 130. Now this graph looks like:
But since we have some visual learners that like graphs, let's consider another point. The Flynn effect was observed since the 1930's. We have ~90 years of data, lets round up to 100 for simplicity. These 100 years represent less than 2% of human recorded history (~5000 years).
This is a graph of the last 20 years of the S&P:
This is the same information, but now we are looking at the last 6 months which is roughly more than 2% of the data:
Do you see the problem that I am hinting at?
And this is not all, not only we have a minuscule snapshot of history, but we are also looking at only 1 country, only 1 gender. Are you ready to call your fellow modern humans morons now? :lol:
We don't really understand why the flynn effect is there. Speculating about the reason for its reversal, is just that, speculation. Furthermore, even this reversal is controversial. I already sent you the study in france, but here there is a meta-analysis of 285 studies and apparently they did not find that the effect is diminishing:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... %20version.

I did note the range indeed. That's why I take the paper more as evidence of stagnation than anything else.

XogGyux wrote:But again, even if it is not diminishing... can you imagine the absurdity of 0.3 increase on average IQ point / year? Going back ~200 years to napoleon would put him at an IQ of 40, going back to the times of Newton, and his IQ would be ~-10 :lol: So clearly there is a problem with this idea.

I am not saying that the measurement is useless or any of the sorts, I am simply pointing out to the limitations of the tools that we have and possible pitfalls when using them (and/or missusing them).
The Flynn effect suggests a 0.3IQpoints/year. So, presumably, an average human born in 1922 would have 100- (100years*.3/year) = 70 IQ. 70IQ we are talking about intellectual disability range. Some of you might have a grandparent alive today, that assuming was an average individual, is a clinically mentally disabled person by today's standard if we are to apply the Flynn effect.
While I do believe it is possible that due to education, nutrition, quality of life, etc modern humans might exhibit a slight advantage on what we would call "intelligence", I honestly could not imagine that such difference would be large enough as to justify these large changes in IQ in just a few decades. I strongly believe that at least a large portion of the effect is attributable to testing methodology and any potential reversal might also be for the same reason.

I think it's quite evident that the Flynn effect refers to the 20th century, and that's it. We just don't know anything about the IQ of people who weren't alive once IQ tests were invented.

And if the Flynn effect became 0 in the '70s or '80s then we're talking about a difference of around 15-20 points. That's 1 sd or a bit more - it's not THAT crazy.
But we also find that human brain size reduction was surprisingly recent, occurring in the last 3,000 years. Our dating does not support hypotheses concerning brain size reduction as a by-product of body size reduction, a result of a shift to an agricultural diet, or a consequence of self-domestication. We suggest our analysis supports the hypothesis that the recent decrease in brain size may instead result from the externalization of knowledge and advantages of group-level decision-making due in part to the advent of social systems of distributed cognition and the storage and sharing of information. Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 42639/full
Sandzak wrote:But we also find that human brain size reduction was surprisingly recent, occurring in the last 3,000 years. Our dating does not support hypotheses concerning brain size reduction as a by-product of body size reduction, a result of a shift to an agricultural diet, or a consequence of self-domestication. We suggest our analysis supports the hypothesis that the recent decrease in brain size may instead result from the externalization of knowledge and advantages of group-level decision-making due in part to the advent of social systems of distributed cognition and the storage and sharing of information. Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 42639/full

In other words, we're doing more with less. Just as hyenas regurgitate their partially digested food and eat it again, and can thereby be said to have a single collective 'stomach', so humans regurgitate their partially digested thoughts and ideas and knowledge, and can thereby be said to have a single collective 'brain'. No other animal can share its thoughts and experiences and feelings with each other like this. It's extraordinary.
Rancid wrote:This thread is getting heated.

Even if we descend to the intelligence of reptiles, we will still be able to sense temperature changes.

Others wrote:bell curve discussion-a-thon

And we will be able to discuss simple shapes.

Potemkin wrote:No other animal can share its thoughts and experiences and feelings with each other like this.

This is impossible to prove or disprove, so it's a safe thing to throw around to feel "smart."

Here's another one: "No other animal is smart enough to throw aways its instincts for a chance to live forever in paradise after death."
QatzelOk wrote:This is impossible to prove or disprove, so it's a safe thing to throw around to feel "smart."

Here's another one: "No other animal is smart enough to throw aways its instincts for a chance to live forever in paradise after death."

This is one of the drawbacks of being so smart, @QatzelOk. It becomes possible to believe all sorts of nonsensical things. If we can think it, we can also believe it, sometimes with fatal consequences.

Lewis Carroll wrote:"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Sandzak wrote:Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence.

But this has always been the case. Though what has changed is that we no longer contribute much to the genralized knowledge of our groups. And we have mostly "indirect" contact with the group agents who feed us our social norms. We used to be face to face with all the adults who influenced our thoughts and feelings.

It appears likely that TECHNOLOGY has played a giantic role in divorcing humans from the need to use their brains - to use their instincts. Much more so than group cooperation, which has been around since humans have. Other animals also use group dynamics for specific survival purposes. But they don't create gigantic corporations, or propaganda campaigns for one another.

The Return of Instinctive Knowledge might be the final battle of social collapse. Can we get it back, or will we perish?

Potemkin quoted Lewis Carroll when he wrote:...said the Queen

That Queen was the original Q.
I posit that the rich and the poor experience very different types of stupidity.

The rich, in our day, have very little practical skills or knowledge of how stuff is made. Their stupidity is based on lack of knowledge of the limits of human labor, and lack of useful skills for basic material existence (cooking, working, providing things for other people, building, repairing, healing) etc.

The rich also feature Moral Idiocy at a much higher level, because extreme wealth is often contingent on low empathy, and little collective sense of morality. Moral Idiots do well among the rich.

The poor, on the other hand, can simply not afford Moral Idiocy. And they require useful skills to satiate their material needs. So the very differnt stupidity of the poor is often the result of having had lots of knowledge intentionally denied them. Whether this knowledge-denied takes the form of higher education, or some idea of how society rewards people behind closed doors for secretive strategies. The rich are the only ones present for social strategy.

Rich:

High Moral Idiocy (-)
Low Material Skills (-)
High Inner Circle Knowledge (+)

Poor

Low Moral Idiocy (+)
High Material Skills (+)
Low Inner Circle Knowledge (-)

*For this post, "the rich" are defined as the 1% and their whores,
"the poor" are the people who need skills to survive.
XogGyux wrote:Nonsense.
Humanity is not getting dumber.
Just because you find some aspects of our culture and/or behavior "dumb" from your singular, unique, perspective; does not mean that humanity is on some sort of intellectual decadence. Every year we come up with new ingenious ways to make our lives better and to increase our knowledge.

That's not really the point.

The point is some aspects of culture are quantitatively more complex than others.

The rise of social media that focuses on memes and witty one-liners clearly shows stupidity from the lack of elaboration. People focus more on being quick-witted now by appealing to familiar rhetoric to exploit coincidence that exploring and discovering new frontiers from the cultivation of curiosity.

We are living in an age of forbidden knowledge.
XDU wrote:That's not really the point.

The point is some aspects of culture are quantitatively more complex than others.

The rise of social media that focuses on memes and witty one-liners clearly shows stupidity from the lack of elaboration. People focus more on being quick-witted now by appealing to familiar rhetoric to exploit coincidence that exploring and discovering new frontiers from the cultivation of curiosity.

.... :eh:

NO U!!

:excited:
Rancid wrote:I get dumber and dumber reading some of the posts from you people. :lol:

Then my work here is done. :angel:
XDU wrote:The point is some aspects of culture are quantitatively more complex than others.

This trend towards "gotcha!" and one-liners... didn't start with social media. Commercial television has been training people to be superficial, materialistic, and anti-social since the SitCom format appeared on it. Perhaps even before.

The people who were born into Social Media were raised by parents who were born into television. So the stupidity actually deepened between those generations.

I say this as someone who quit media 20 years ago, and hoped that the world was moving away from staring at screens. But today, people have screens in front of their faces as they walk their dogs, cross the street, or hang out with friends. Even among TV-heads, there were times when screen-viewing was impossible. Not any more. You can permanently disappear into shallow information and meme narratives - and never reach any kind of deep understanding in your entire life.

Being stupid has never been easier.
The recent censorship of Russian-owned media in the West, and Western media in Russia - reveals another source of Modern stupidity. Ideological blinders are often portrayed as "patriotic."

Likewise, zoning of suburbs into polarized homogenous hoods (ths one is all rich, that one is all poor, this one is all white, that one is all black ...) performs a similar function, cutting children off from various worldviews and lived experiences. Children in suburbs are limited in their development by their isolation.

Suburbia "censors" life on many levels, killing spontaneous social contact with different people... in a way that encourages children to stay home and watch commercial products (rather than growing up by getting to know many other people in their 'hoods.

The ideological blinders that commerce enforces... make us all dumb... in the sense that they rob us of the means to create wisdom.
Last edited by QatzelOk on 05 Mar 2022 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
QatzelOk wrote:The recent censorship of Russian-owned media reveals another source of Modern stupidity. Ideological blinders are often portrayed as "patriotic."

Likewise, zoning of suburbs into polarized homogenous hoods (ths one is all rich, that one is all poor, this one is all white, that one is all black ...) performs a similar function, cutting children off from various worldviews and lived experiences. Children in suburbs are limited in their development by their isolation.

Suburbia "censors" life on many levels, killing spontaneous social contact with different people... in a way that encourages children to stay home and watch commercial products (rather than growing up by getting to know many other people in their 'hoods.

The ideological blinders that commerce enforces... make us all dumb... in the sense that they rob us of the means to create wisdom.

Sounds like you support Russian imperialism.
Rancid wrote:Sounds like you support ***

"Sounds like" is very useful in charades, not so much in philosophy.
QatzelOk wrote:The recent censorship of Russian-owned media reveals another source of Modern stupidity. Ideological blinders are often portrayed as "patriotic."

The Russian position, arguments and statements are not censored. They are widely available, discussed and repeated everywhere one looks.

"Russia is chasing Nazi's in Ukraine by flattening cities under a special military operation that is totally irrelevant to war or invasion"; words that have officially been banned from use inside Russia and co.

You are very welcome to use reason and wisdom to elaborate and argue on Russia's position. Memetic is neither wisdom nor reason.

If one wants access to special Russian brainwashing one can still have access to that also.

You don't "sound like" supporting Russian imperialism, you proactively do so.
noemon wrote:The Russian position, arguments and statements are not censored. They are widely available, discussed and repeated everywhere one looks.

Russia is chasing Nazis in Ukraine by flattening cities under a special military operation that is totally irrelevant to war or invasion, words that have officially been banned from use inside *** and co.

If one wants access to special Russian brainwashing one can still have access to that also.

You don't "sound like" supporting Russian imperialism, you proactively do so.

A month ago, I sounded like I was supporting the incorrect Covid narrative as well.
But the only thing this thread is supporting is wisdom and individual human self-actualization.

The Russia-Ukraine conflict is very topical right now, but the subject of increasing human stupidity is universal and timeless.

Covid-media was likely censored and restricted and emotionally charged - instead of rational and logical.

Democracy can't exist with ignorant, badly-informed citizens, which is what we have in most nations of the earth right now - on all sides of every topic and confrontation.
QatzelOk wrote:A month ago, I sounded like I was supporting the incorrect Covid narrative as well.
But the only thing this thread is supporting is wisdom and individual human self-actualization.

The Russian-Ukraine conflict is very topical right now, but the subject of increasing human stupidity is universal and timeless.

Covid-media was likely censored and restricted and emotionally charged - instead of rational and logical.

Democracy can't exist with ignorant, badly-informed citizens, which is what we have in most nations of the earth right now - on all sides of every topic and confrontation.

I am not interested in your personal victimisation and imaginary entitlement. It's a boring strawman that does not even advance any conversation.

You are not even discussing the subject you brought up.

Why would anyone waste a second for someone that does not talk back to them?
noemon wrote:Why would anyone waste a second for someone that does not talk back to them?

People today watch up to 7 hours of entertainment per day, and the characters don't respond to them.

Why do people give so much time to this kind of monologue?

Because they can't connect with real people in their suburban enclaves?

And hasn't this seriously eroded human wisdom, yes or no?

I want the Colleseum and Circus Maximus back to e[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

At this point, @wat0n could call Hitler an antise[…]

her grandfather wanted to destroy USA SO why did[…]

Everybody is a little bit mixed. That is not wh[…]