Climate Change, Politics and Food. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

[Quoting myself from another source:]

"In decades past, Americans have dealt with rising food prices from time to time. These were driven primarily by increased costs to the food producers, processers and transporters. The prices rose, but the food itself was always plentiful. Cost increases were just passed on through the chain of supply, grower to table.

"Now, however, climate change is beginning to affect the water supply needed by growers in some parts of our country. This may result in the price of food being driven up by actual shortages of specific products. The vegetable crops of California serve as an example.

"How the politicians of the several states and the federal government will react to this remains to be seen. It will be worth watching. It may well tell us more about them and our two major political parties than we really wish to know."

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n well-fed.
late wrote:Water is the least of your worries concerning food.

Hi, late.

Can you flesh out that comment? In particular, if 'you' includes the vegetable growers of California, I'm under the impression that a good supply of water is on their short list of worries.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
Torus34 wrote:
Hi, late.

Can you flesh out that comment? In particular, if 'you' includes the vegetable growers of California, I'm under the impression that a good supply of water is on their short list of worries.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

China and Russia are big producers of fertiliser, and they are not exporting. Industrial agriculture uses a lot of petroleum, and the price of oil is high, and will stay high for a while.

This is not only going to raise prices domestically, but we import a LOT of food, and some of those countries are going to need to restrict exports to feed their own people.

Not trying to deny, or even diminish, water as a problem. I'm one of the few people that still remembers about 20 years ago when some group tried to make that year the Year of Water, to focus on the coming global water crisis. Needless to say, that went nowhere.
late wrote:China and Russia are big producers of fertiliser, and they are not exporting. Industrial agriculture uses a lot of petroleum, and the price of oil is high, and will stay high for a while.

This is not only going to raise prices domestically, but we import a LOT of food, and some of those countries are going to need to restrict exports to feed their own people.

Not trying to deny, or even diminish, water as a problem. I'm one of the few people that still remembers about 20 years ago when some group tried to make that year the Year of Water, to focus on the coming global water crisis. Needless to say, that went nowhere.

Hi again, late.

Thank you for the explanation.

Regards, and stay cool.
Indonesia has banned the export of palm oil, it is the largest exporter with over 50% share of the export market. With the disruptions to Ukraine's exports expect cooking oil to get expensive.
Hi, AFAIK.

There are many factors which can affect this or that foodstuff. Lack of sufficient water, however, can result in shortages which have no work-around such as substituting this for that oil. For this to occur, the water shortage must cover a sufficiently large area. This is why climate change is of concern.

Regards, and stay cool.

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]