The Madness of Groupthink - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

QatzelOk wrote:
Not many legacy media viewers have access to your healing diagrams. So while you claim they are an effective cure for media manipulation of the masses (the coerced groupthink that is generated by the gatekeepers of our societal cave), they are a cure that is sitting on a high shelf at the back of a hidden laboratory in an out-of-the-way town.

While your taxonomies are sometimes useful in determining the direction of the coversation, I find that they also detract from the ideation that is required to look at issues "from another angle."

The problem wish so many societal issue discussions is... that legacy media (the fishbowl) has left its mark on most of us, and this has the effect of framing issues in ways that benefit hegemony.

One way that you (accidentally?) cloud issues is by providing visual charts that seem to want to force a particular "framing" on each subject you discuss.

This role of "framing the limits of discussion" is a legacy media trick. It's a means of chaining heads in a particular position so that they can only watch the shadows....

Hey -- sorry I don't have my own media channel and billboards, etc. Here we are on the net and *everyone* has a 'channel', on YouTube, etc. For me it's *here*, on PoFo.

The 'framing' issue applies to both *physicality*, *and* to media / news ('Fourth Estate'), as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_of_reference

Worldview Diagram

Spoiler: show
By QatzelOk
A new manifestation of groupthink in the age of social media is the effect that Audience Capture has on youtubers and other influencers.

What this means is that entertainers and public personalites... are always reading the comments sections after their productions in order to determine what direction to take.

This has the effect of forcing content producers to alter their characters to, sometimes, unrecognizable version of themselves. Distorted beyond belief by their search for "love" in the wrong places (audience response), these influencers often "lose themselves."

Here is a video that captures the phenomenom very well:

QatzelOk wrote:
A new manifestation of groupthink in the age of social media is the effect that Audience Capture has on youtubers and other influencers.

What this means is that entertainers and public personalites... are always reading the comments sections after their productions in order to determine what direction to take.

This has the effect of forcing content producers to alter their characters to, sometimes, unrecognizable version of themselves. Distorted beyond belief by their search for "love" in the wrong places (audience response), these influencers often "lose themselves."

Here is a video that captures the phenomenom very well:

https:// youtu.be/XX2RpY_dj9Y?t=93

Well it's definitely a *different beast*, social media, from what came before -- when it arrived (Facebook, etc.) I didn't *anticipate* it and thought it was rather *contrived* and personal. I've been online since BBSes in the '80s and the whole 'vibe' of corporate social media looked really plastic from the get-go.

I think the net is *perfect* for doing politics, so here I am on a political message board, and really *email* suffices for all-else that's *not* general, like politics or culture or whatever.
ckaihatsu wrote:Well it's definitely a *different beast*, social media, from what came before -- when it arrived (Facebook, etc.) I didn't *anticipate* it and thought it was rather *contrived* and personal. I've been online since BBSes in the '80s and the whole 'vibe' of corporate social media looked really plastic from the get-go.

I think the net is *perfect* for doing politics, so here I am on a political message board, and really *email* suffices for all-else that's *not* general, like politics or culture or whatever.

You're a very particular type of person, ckaihatsu, and so am I. So if we use the Internet in very specific ways, that is in no way a sign that it is a healthy environment for most people.

I was in my 30s before I ever went online. The influencer in the video above grew up with this as a normal part of his life.

But the idea that the media is also influenced by its audience... demonstrates how socially constructed ALL CLASSES are in civilizations. And this is a huge argument in favor of MORE EQUALITY for all.

Not only was Nicoda Avocado ruined by his mini-fame (like Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.)... so are all media personalities and owners. We are manipulated and brainwashed by a type of media... that also dehumanized the owners and actors.

This seems to be another toxic manifestation of group think (ie. social conditionning through text).
QatzelOk wrote:
You're a very particular type of person, ckaihatsu, and so am I. So if we use the Internet in very specific ways, that is in no way a sign that it is a healthy environment for most people.

Your reasoning is *off* here, and this construction of yours could be called a 'red herring'. (Specificity in usage is not necessarily determining of 'a healthy [online] environment for most people'.)

Maybe you're suggesting that social media is not a 'toy', and that people should be focused and intentional in their *use* of the net -- otherwise it'll predictably be your general doom-and-gloom.

QatzelOk wrote:
I was in my 30s before I ever went online. The influencer in the video above grew up with this as a normal part of his life.

But the idea that the media is also influenced by its audience... demonstrates how socially constructed ALL CLASSES are in civilizations. And this is a huge argument in favor of MORE EQUALITY for all.

"Second superpower" is a term used to conceptualize a global civil society as a world force comparable to or counterbalancing the United States of America. The term originates from a 2003 New York Times article which described world public opinion as one of two superpowers.[1]

Peace movement in opposition to invasion of Iraq

Invention in response to February 2003 demonstrations

Anti-war protests which were the impetus for the invention of the term

On February 15, 2003 global demonstrations took place against the impending invasion of Iraq. These involved between six and thirty million people and were listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as including the largest anti-war rally in history. In reaction, New York Times writer Patrick Tyler wrote in a February 17 article that:

...the huge anti-war demonstrations around the world this weekend are reminders that there may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world public opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_superpower

---

QatzelOk wrote:
Not only was Nicoda Avocado ruined by his mini-fame (like Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.)... so are all media personalities and owners. We are manipulated and brainwashed by a type of media... that also dehumanized the owners and actors.

This seems to be another toxic manifestation of group think (ie. social conditionning through text).

Well, where do you *draw the line*, though, between 'humanities' (more or less how people would socially interact, uncoerced, anyway), and 'technology', meaning the social-media technology that's *both* a game-changer, and *isn't* at the same time.

Humanities-Technology Chart 2.0

Spoiler: show

---

Here's a quote from Oscar Wilde about *journalism* that I used recently -- maybe you'd like to comment -- ?

In old days men had the rack. Now they have the press. That is an improvement certainly. But still it is very bad, and wrong, and demoralising. Somebody – was it Burke? – called journalism the fourth estate. That was true at the time, no doubt. But at the present moment it really is the only estate. It has eaten up the other three. The Lords Temporal say nothing, the Lords Spiritual have nothing to say, and the House of Commons has nothing to say and says it. We are dominated by Journalism. In America the President reigns for four years, and Journalism governs for ever and ever. Fortunately in America Journalism has carried its authority to the grossest and most brutal extreme. As a natural consequence it has begun to create a spirit of revolt.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/arch ... /soul-man/

viewtopic.php?p=15253749#p15253749
Enjoy, Qatz.

social software turned those connections into a latent broadcast channel. All at once, billions of people saw themselves as celebrities, pundits, and tastemakers.

social-media operators discovered that the more emotionally charged the content, the better it spread across its users’ networks. Polarizing, offensive, or just plain fraudulent information was optimized for distribution. By the time the platforms realized and the public revolted, it was too late to turn off these feedback loops.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ine/672074
I think it's important that pofo posters ALL read and understand this particular thread...before posting on any others.

The comments afterwards can destroy you!

If you let comments determine your next post... which you will do, if you want to be successful in our competitive dog-eat-dog environment... you will lose your own mind.

That media owners and performers are destroyed by our competitive enviroment... along with the viewers... suggests that the system(s) that groupthink have created are suicidal.

Like Jamestown.
QatzelOk wrote:
I think it's important that pofo posters ALL read and understand this particular thread...before posting on any others.

The comments afterwards can destroy you!

If you let comments determine your next post... which you will do, if you want to be successful in our competitive dog-eat-dog environment... you will lose your own mind.

That media owners and performers are destroyed by our competitive enviroment... along with the viewers... suggests that the system(s) that groupthink have created are suicidal.

Like Jamestown.

Maybe I need to diplomatically just call it all 'North America', or even 'the Western Hemisphere', since we seem to have collapsed civilization back to *Jamestown*, according to you. (grin)

The question of whether or not October 7 was “jus[…]

Now you're just denying reality considering that […]

^ Behold a real-world example of the Dunning–Kru[…]

QFT. Now the terrified Republicans in my state[…]