An interesting take on Jordan Peterson - Page 24 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

ness31 wrote:Why do I feel like I watched a movie about this very thing? People die and can come back as animals and some people chose lobsters..

As Jordan Peterson has so wisely said, this world would be a far, far better place if we all behaved like lobsters. :)
ness31 wrote:So, he probably put some biologists off side with that I’m guessing :lol:

Pfft! What do they know? Jordan Peterson has a PhD in psychology, and therefore has superhuman expertise in every field of human knowledge. It's all grist to his intellectual mill. Biology? Easy! Quantum physics? A cakewalk! We are truly blessed to have such a world-historic genius walking among us. He is the Leonardo Da Vinci of our time. :)
Potemkin wrote:Pfft! What do they know? Jordan Peterson has a PhD in psychology, and therefore has superhuman expertise in every field of human knowledge. It's all grist to his intellectual mill. Biology? Easy! Quantum physics? A cakewalk! We are truly blessed to have such a world-historic genius walking among us. He is the Leonardo Da Vinci of our time. :)

A little bit of understanding is a dangerous thing. You learn a little and think you know something. So we all have to be humbled by repeatedly making asses of ourselves as we learn and over step ourselves.

Fantastic video with Jordan Peterson. On the whole Richard Wrangham is the teacher here and Jordan Peterson the student. Some of the ideas expressed by Wrangham, I worked out on my own,but I certainly had never considered the importance of cooking to human development.

How many times have we heard idiot Liberals complaining about the evils attributable to one man. Usually at some point in the conflict the Liberals become very angry when they discover that its not one man. Wrangham explains that humans don't have alpha males in the way that other apes and other animals do. A human dominance is always based on an alliance with other males, coercion alone is not enough

The point that Peterson makes that Wrangham doesn't seem to get is about the importance of weapons in the shift from reactive aggression to proactive aggression. Weapons greatly increase the chances of a physically weaker male and even a female to inflict permanent disability and even a lethal blow upon a would be tyrant. The guns known as the equaliser, but even a kitchen knife significantly equalises conflicts with physically strong males.
Potemkin wrote:Pfft! What do they know? Jordan Peterson has a PhD in psychology, and therefore has superhuman expertise in every field of human knowledge. It's all grist to his intellectual mill. Biology? Easy! Quantum physics? A cakewalk! We are truly blessed to have such a world-historic genius walking among us. He is the Leonardo Da Vinci of our time. :)

This is one of the key problems with social media. The rise of the so called thought leaders (left, right, center... it's a problem regardless). You get people that become popular due to their knowledge in one field which they are indeed an expert. Great, we all learn something. However, what starts to happen is that these people are then poked and prodded for their ideas/thoughts in areas completely outside of their expertise. People (i.e. morons) start to take these ideas as fact/truth, because, hey, this person was smart/expert in subject XYZ, so they must be smart/expert this other thing, right? Eventually these ideas get parroted by followers of these thought leaders. Additionally, followers start to poke and prod for political ideas from these thought leaders, this way they can be held up as some sort of right/left/whatever wing thought leader hero of some sort. Eventually this evolves into a kind of worshiping of people.

This kind of buffoonery really needs to stop. However, I think most of us are too stupid to understand what is happening here. This cycle repeats ad naseum; shit ideas spread across the internet, and people basically get even dumber and thus perpetuate this cycle even more strongly. It's like a race to the intellectual bottom.

I think this happens precisely because many/most of us are just too stupid even be able to really have a thought. Too many of us quickly give credit to these thought leaders; too many of us quickly submit our brains to these leaders to act as proxies for us, because we are just too god damn fucking stupid and lazy to even think a little bit.
Rancid wrote:This is one of the key problems with social media. The rise of the so called thought leaders (left, right, center... it's a problem regardless). You get people that become popular due to their knowledge in one field which they are indeed an expert. Great, we all learn something. However, what starts to happen is that these people are then poked and prodded for their ideas/thoughts in areas completely outside of their expertise. People (i.e. morons) start to take these ideas as fact/truth, because, hey, this person was smart/expert in subject XYZ, so they must be smart/expert this other thing, right? Eventually these ideas get parroted by followers of these thought leaders. Additionally, followers start to poke and prod for political ideas from these thought leaders, this way they can be held up as some sort of right/left/whatever wing thought leader hero of some sort. Eventually this evolves into a kind of worshiping of people.

This kind of buffoonery really needs to stop. However, I think most of us are too stupid to understand what is happening here. This cycle repeats ad naseum; shit ideas spread across the internet, and people basically get even dumber and thus perpetuate this cycle even more strongly. It's like a race to the intellectual bottom.

I think this happens precisely because many/most of us are just too stupid even be able to really have a thought. Too many of us quickly give credit to these thought leaders; too many of us quickly submit our brains to these leaders to act as proxies for us, because we are just too god damn fucking stupid and lazy to even think a little bit.

As I keep repeating, Jacques Lacan hit the nail on the head when he asserted that most people are slaves in search of a master. He also added that most of them find what they are seeking. People are physically weak, so they pay other people to be strong on their behalf - soldiers, policemen and the like. People are intellectually stupid, so they pay other people to be clever on their behalf - professors, pundits, commentators and the like. Agreeing with your favourite pundit is like hiding behind the legs of a big, strong policeman who will protect you. It does not involve any intellectual work whatsoever, any more than hiding behind a policeman involves any physical strength or courage whatsoever. Most ‘intellectual’ debates on the internet are of this type.

Am I wrong?
Rancid wrote:This is one of the key problems with social media. The rise of the so called thought leaders (left, right, center... it's a problem regardless). You get people that become popular due to their knowledge in one field which they are indeed an expert. Great, we all learn something. However, what starts to happen is that these people are then poked and prodded for their ideas/thoughts in areas completely outside of their expertise. People (i.e. morons) start to take these ideas as fact/truth, because, hey, this person was smart/expert in subject XYZ, so they must be smart/expert this other thing, right? Eventually these ideas get parroted by followers of these thought leaders. Additionally, followers start to poke and prod for political ideas from these thought leaders, this way they can be held up as some sort of right/left/whatever wing thought leader hero of some sort. Eventually this evolves into a kind of worshiping of people.

Sometimes people don't know when to say "I don't know", including Peterson.

In fact, most of the issues we all talk about on here we all know little to nothing about.
Potemkin wrote:As I keep repeating, Jacques Lacan hit the nail on the head when he asserted that most people are slaves in search of a master. He also added that most of them find what they are seeking. People are physically weak, so they pay other people to be strong on their behalf - soldiers, policemen and the like. People are intellectually stupid, so they pay other people to be clever on their behalf - professors, pundits, commentators and the like. Agreeing with your favourite pundit is like hiding behind the legs of a big, strong policeman who will protect you. It does not involve any intellectual work whatsoever, any more than hiding behind a policeman involves any physical strength or courage whatsoever. Most ‘intellectual’ debates on the internet are of this type.

Am I wrong?

I agree that people don't like to think. Why think when you can follow on twitter someone who creates all your opinions for you and they confirm your biases.
Potemkin wrote:Am I wrong?

No, and perhaps I should find time to learn more about this Jacques Lacan.

Unthinking Majority wrote:Sometimes people don't know when to say "I don't know", including Peterson.

In fact, most of the issues we all talk about on here we all know little to nothing about.

True. Still, we can have interesting conversations even with knowing little to nothing about a subject. The issue is, we take our possibly wrong ideas and pit them against each others as though they are competing truths. When in reality, what it really should be is an interesting search for truth... or at the very least, interesting bullshit conversation... dunno...

Anyway, perhaps peterson doesn't know how to say "I don't know". However, the bigger crime is those of us that just take what he say's and parrot it all without thought.

Unthinking Majority wrote:I agree that people don't like to think. Why think when you can follow on twitter someone who creates all your opinions for you and they confirm your biases.

Perhaps i should buy some pills from the liver king.

I don't think he, or anyone else here, is defendin[…]

No, my ancestors believe in human rights for all […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Muscovite schizophrenic Ivan Ilyin is quite lit[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]