An interesting take on Jordan Peterson - Page 19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

No.

They are both about violence between men, according to the text JP quoted.

And he dd so in response to a discussion about incel violence targeting women.

JP said monogamous societies are less violent than polygamous ones according to the research studies because polygamy means the most attractive men get many women while the less attractive men get few or none, and so some of them get frustrated, depressed, and violent.

He also said that in our society that if many women don't find a man attractive it's not the women's fault and aren't to blame. He said that if men want women to find them attractive it's up to men to make themselves more attractive to women.

None of this is controversial or wrong.
Unthinking Majority wrote:JP said monogamous societies are less violent than polygamous ones according to the research studies because polygamy means the most attractive men get many women while the less attractive men get few or none, and so some of them get frustrated, depressed, and violent.

Yes, I know that. I even explained how this supports the delusions that incels tell themselves and each other, which is why JP is such a favourite of them.

He then provided a quote from a study called The Competition-Violence Hypothesis: Sex, Marriage, and Male Aggression by Patrick M. Seffrin, Associate Professor.

I then pointed out that the text JP quoted looks only at violence between men and not violence directed towards women.

I also quoted from the Seffrin review some text that directly contradicts the claim that enforced monogamy would help incels.

He also said that in our society that if many women don't find a man attractive it's not the women's fault and aren't to blame. He said that if men want women to find them attractive it's up to men to make themselves more attractive to women.

None of this is controversial or wrong.

Not on his website.

He said that society benefits from less violence from young men when enforced monogamy is the norm. The closest thing he comes to saying what you claim he says is when he argues that the “dangerousness of frustrated young men (even if that frustration stems from their own incompetence) has to be regulated socially”.

—————-

@Truth To Power

A simple “please” will suffice. Thank you.
Pants-of-dog wrote:He argues in many ways that respecting trans people and their right to live free from discrimination

And FYI, no one has a right to live free from discrimination, only institutional discrimination. Private individuals discriminate all the time on the basis of looks, charm, etc., and their liberty to do so is essential to their exercise of freedom. Similarly, people have every right as private individuals to discriminate on the basis of "prohibited" factors like race, religion, and sex. Personally, when I was looking for a spouse, I discriminated against men; some people would discriminate against adherents of other religions, or members of certain races, and they most certainly have every right to do so.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Not on his website.

He said that society benefits from less violence from young men when enforced monogamy is the norm. The closest thing he comes to saying what you claim he says is when he argues that the “dangerousness of frustrated young men (even if that frustration stems from their own incompetence) has to be regulated socially”.

Right he doesn't say that on the response on his website. I earlier quoted the interview where he said exactly as I claim. You refused to watch the interview, which your free choice but has no relevance on the fact that he said it.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, I know that. I even explained how this supports the delusions that incels tell themselves and each other, which is why JP is such a favourite of them.

He then provided a quote from a study called The Competition-Violence Hypothesis: Sex, Marriage, and Male Aggression by Patrick M. Seffrin, Associate Professor.

I then pointed out that the text JP quoted looks only at violence between men and not violence directed towards women.

I also quoted from the Seffrin review some text that directly contradicts the claim that enforced monogamy would help incels.

If incels take research evidence from social science and use it for violence that's a 'them" problem, it's not on the science or the academic.

That's like a prof saying a fact like "whites are projected to be a minority in the US by 2050" and blaming the prof because some rightwing nut uses that fact as an excuse to kill non-white people.
Truth To Power wrote:And FYI, no one has a right to live free from discrimination, only institutional discrimination. Private individuals discriminate all the time on the basis of looks, charm, etc., and their liberty to do so is essential to their exercise of freedom. Similarly, people have every right as private individuals to discriminate on the basis of "prohibited" factors like race, religion, and sex. Personally, when I was looking for a spouse, I discriminated against men; some people would discriminate against adherents of other religions, or members of certain races, and they most certainly have every right to do so.

Yes, “discrimination” can mean many different things.

Thiss does not contradict my claims about JP.

——————

JP, testifying before the Senate:

I think the first thing I’d like to bring up is that it’s not obvious, when considering a matter of this sort, what level of analysis is appropriate. If you’re reading any given document, you can look at the words or phrases or sentences or the complete document, or you can look at the broader context within which it is likely to be interpreted.

When I first encountered Bill C-16 and its surrounding policies, it seemed to me that the appropriate level of analysis was to look at the context of interpretation surrounding the bill, which is what I did when I scoured the Ontario Human Rights Commission web pages and examined its policies. I did that because at that point, the Department of Justice had clearly indicated on their website, in a link that was later taken down, that Bill C-16 would be interpreted within the policy precedents already established by the Ontario Human Rights Commission. So when I looked on the website, I thought there were broader issues at stake here, and I tried to outline some of those broader issues.

You may or may not know that I made some videos criticizing Bill C-16 and a number of the policies surrounding it. I think the most egregious elements of the policies are that it requires compelled speech. The Ontario Human Rights Commission explicitly states that refusing to refer to a person by their self-identified name and proper personal pronoun, which are the pronouns I was objecting to, can be interpreted as harassment. That’s explicitly defined in the relevant policies. I think that’s appalling, first of all, because there hasn’t been a piece of legislation that requires Canadians to utter a particular form of address that has particular ideological implications before, and I think it’s a line we shouldn’t cross.

The definition of identity that’s enshrined in the surrounding policies is ill-defined, poorly thought through and also incorrect. It’s incorrect in that identity is not and will never be something that people define subjectively because your identity is something you actually have to act out in the world as a set of procedural tools, which most people learn — and I’m being technical about this — between the ages of two and four. It’s a fundamental human reality. It’s well recognized by the relevant, say, developmental psychological authorities. The idea that identity is something you define purely subjectively is an idea without status as far as I’m concerned.

I also think it’s unbelievably dangerous for us to move towards representing a social constructionist view of identity in our legal system. The social constructionist view insists that human identity is nothing but a consequence of socialization, and there’s an inordinate amount of scientific evidence suggesting that that happens to not be the case. So the reason that this is being instantiated into law is because the people who are promoting that sort of perspective, or at least in part because the people promoting that sort of perspective, know perfectly well they’ve lost the battle completely on scientific grounds.

It’s implicit in the policies of the Ontario Human Rights Commission that sexual identity, biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual proclivity all vary independently, and that’s simply not the case. It’s not the case scientifically. It’s not the case factually, and it’s certainly not something that should be increasingly taught to people in high schools, elementary schools and junior high schools, which it is. It is being taught. I included this cartoon character that I find particularly reprehensible, aimed obviously as it is at children somewhere around the age of seven, that contains within it the implicit claims, as a consequence of its graphic mode of expression, that these elements of identity are, first, canonical and, second, independent. Neither of those happen to be the case.

I think that the inclusion of gender expression in the bill is something extraordinarily peculiar, given that gender expression is not a group and that, according to the Ontario Human Rights Commission, it deals with things as mundane as behaviour and outward appearance, such as dress, hair, makeup, body language and voice, which now, as far as I can tell, open people to charges of hate crime under Bill C-16 if they dare to criticize the manner of someone’s dress, which seems to me to be an entirely voluntary issue.

I think that the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s attitude towards vicarious liability is designed specifically to be punitive in that it makes employers responsible for harassment or discrimination, including the failure to use preferred pronouns.

———————

Unthinking Majority wrote:Right he doesn't say that on the response on his website. I earlier quoted the interview where he said exactly as I claim. You refused to watch the interview, which your free choice but has no relevance on the fact that he said it.

I do not think you quoted the video.

You copied and pasted the link, and then told me to watch it. If you wish to quote his exact words now, I would gladly address them.

Unthinking Majority wrote:If incels take research evidence from social science and use it for violence that's a 'them" problem, it's not on the science or the academic.

That's like a prof saying a fact like "whites are projected to be a minority in the US by 2050" and blaming the prof because some rightwing nut uses that fact as an excuse to kill non-white people.

Except that JP specifically brought up this exact review to support his claim and the review itself does not support his claim.

This is more like having a prof argue that white people will be a minority in the future and that this includes white Hispanics and white passing mixed race people, and then using the study to which you are probably referring in your example, when the study specifically states that whites are only a minority if we also exclude white Hispanics and white passing mixed race people.

Then we have an academic either deliberately or unintelligently making a misleading claim that happens to serve the ideological purposes for which he is paid. Note that this is something you specifically argued against in this thread when you argued that social science academics do this.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, “discrimination” can mean many different things.

In terms of "discrimination", the Ontario Human Rights Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender expression and gender identity. Just as Peterson fears, that law has been used to include "misgendering" as a part of this "discrimination" and there even has been a case where misgendering a trans person was found by the Ontario Human Rights Council to be against the law:

https://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/questions-and ... d-pronouns

Ontario added explicit protection for gender identity and gender expression to the Code in 2012. The Code prohibits discrimination and harassment against trans people in employment, services (including education, policing, health care, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.), housing, contracts and membership in vocational associations. The Code does not specify the use of any particular pronoun or other terminology.

Is it a violation of the Code to not address people by their choice of pronoun?

The law recognizes that everyone has the right to self-identify their gender and that “misgendering” is a form of discrimination.

As one human rights tribunal said: “Gender …may be the most significant factor in a person’s identity. It is intensely personal. In many respects how we look at ourselves and define who we are starts with our gender.”[1] The Tribunal found misgendering to be discriminatory in a case involving police, in part because the police used male pronouns despite the complainant’s self-identification as a trans woman.

Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education.

So it's pretty logical to believe that if one level of government has concluded that "misgendering" counts as "discrimination", then another level of government (federal) could and is likely to conclude the same with similar legislation.

I do not think you quoted the video.

Right, to be more accurate I linked to the video. I'm not going to type out a transcript.
Last edited by Unthinking Majority on 06 Nov 2022 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, “discrimination” can mean many different things.

What a gracious concession of error.
Thiss does not contradict my claims about JP.

Which you have not supported.
JP, testifying before the Senate:

I think the first thing I’d like to bring up is that it’s not obvious, when considering a matter of this sort, what level of analysis is appropriate. If you’re reading any given document, you can look at the words or phrases or sentences or the complete document, or you can look at the broader context within which it is likely to be interpreted.

When I first encountered Bill C-16 and its surrounding policies, it seemed to me that the appropriate level of analysis was to look at the context of interpretation surrounding the bill, which is what I did when I scoured the Ontario Human Rights Commission web pages and examined its policies. I did that because at that point, the Department of Justice had clearly indicated on their website, in a link that was later taken down, that Bill C-16 would be interpreted within the policy precedents already established by the Ontario Human Rights Commission. So when I looked on the website, I thought there were broader issues at stake here, and I tried to outline some of those broader issues.

You may or may not know that I made some videos criticizing Bill C-16 and a number of the policies surrounding it. I think the most egregious elements of the policies are that it requires compelled speech. The Ontario Human Rights Commission explicitly states that refusing to refer to a person by their self-identified name and proper personal pronoun, which are the pronouns I was objecting to, can be interpreted as harassment. That’s explicitly defined in the relevant policies. I think that’s appalling, first of all, because there hasn’t been a piece of legislation that requires Canadians to utter a particular form of address that has particular ideological implications before, and I think it’s a line we shouldn’t cross.

The definition of identity that’s enshrined in the surrounding policies is ill-defined, poorly thought through and also incorrect. It’s incorrect in that identity is not and will never be something that people define subjectively because your identity is something you actually have to act out in the world as a set of procedural tools, which most people learn — and I’m being technical about this — between the ages of two and four. It’s a fundamental human reality. It’s well recognized by the relevant, say, developmental psychological authorities. The idea that identity is something you define purely subjectively is an idea without status as far as I’m concerned.

I also think it’s unbelievably dangerous for us to move towards representing a social constructionist view of identity in our legal system. The social constructionist view insists that human identity is nothing but a consequence of socialization, and there’s an inordinate amount of scientific evidence suggesting that that happens to not be the case. So the reason that this is being instantiated into law is because the people who are promoting that sort of perspective, or at least in part because the people promoting that sort of perspective, know perfectly well they’ve lost the battle completely on scientific grounds.

It’s implicit in the policies of the Ontario Human Rights Commission that sexual identity, biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual proclivity all vary independently, and that’s simply not the case. It’s not the case scientifically. It’s not the case factually, and it’s certainly not something that should be increasingly taught to people in high schools, elementary schools and junior high schools, which it is. It is being taught. I included this cartoon character that I find particularly reprehensible, aimed obviously as it is at children somewhere around the age of seven, that contains within it the implicit claims, as a consequence of its graphic mode of expression, that these elements of identity are, first, canonical and, second, independent. Neither of those happen to be the case.

I think that the inclusion of gender expression in the bill is something extraordinarily peculiar, given that gender expression is not a group and that, according to the Ontario Human Rights Commission, it deals with things as mundane as behaviour and outward appearance, such as dress, hair, makeup, body language and voice, which now, as far as I can tell, open people to charges of hate crime under Bill C-16 if they dare to criticize the manner of someone’s dress, which seems to me to be an entirely voluntary issue.

I think that the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s attitude towards vicarious liability is designed specifically to be punitive in that it makes employers responsible for harassment or discrimination, including the failure to use preferred pronouns.

So still no support for your claims. Inevitably.
Unthinking Majority wrote:In terms of "discrimination", the Ontario Human Rights Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender expression and gender identity. Just as Peterson fears, that law has been used to include "misgendering" as a part of this "discrimination" and there even has been a case where misgendering a trans person was found by the Ontario Human Rights Council to be against the law:

https://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/questions-and ... d-pronouns

So it's pretty logical to believe that if one level of government has concluded that "misgendering" counts as "discrimination", then another level of government (federal) could and is likely to conclude the same with similar legislation.

Well, either no one has ever misrepresented someone’s gender in the last five years, or it is actually difficult to get legal proceedings against people who misrepresent the gender of another, since not a single person has been charged with a crime.

JP and his ilk originally argued that this was going to end ip with criminal charges against people who refuse to respect trans people, and this claim proved to be wrong.

Right, to be more accurate I linked to the video. I'm not going to type out a transcript.

Then why do you expect me to write it out?

—————

@Truth To Power

How dies the text not support my claim?
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Truth To Power

How dies the text not support my claim?

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are hilarious. It doesn't support your claim exactly the same way anything else Peterson ever wrote doesn't support your claim: the fact that he wrote it does not imply that he wrote what you said he wrote. See how that works? I've noticed before that you appear to be under an erroneous impression that simply giving a url and claiming that something in it supports your contentions is somehow evidence for them. It isn't, sorry.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Well, either no one has ever misrepresented someone’s gender in the last five years, or it is actually difficult to get legal proceedings against people who misrepresent the gender of another, since not a single person has been charged with a crime.

JP and his ilk originally argued that this was going to end ip with criminal charges against people who refuse to respect trans people, and this claim proved to be wrong.

Do you have a quote of JP saying "criminal charges"? If they did say that this is obviously incorrect technically, but it is still illegal for a prof to misgender a student according to the human rights law. JP is against "compelled speech" which is exactly what is going on across the country.

Last year there was a case in Ontario of a 30k fine for misgendering by an employer:

https://www.hrreporter.com/focus-areas/ ... uns/361374

Last year a BC human rights tribunal also did the same, another 30k fine for breaking the law:

https://www.them.us/story/canadian-cour ... -violation

Of course, we don't know how many of these cases are reported to the human rights tribunals, rejected, awarded etc. But we know misgendering is illegal in JP's province and he's right to at least have concerns about Bill C-16, even if his concerns end up apparently not applying to federal law as "hate speech" (so far). Hate speech typically has a high threshold federally, but a lower threshold with these provincial human rights tribunals which are a bit of a joke. Most of JP's concerns should be towards the Ontario government.

Then why do you expect me to write it out?

I never asked you to write anything out.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Do you have a quote of JP saying "criminal charges"? If they did say that this is obviously incorrect technically, but it is still illegal for a prof to misgender a student according to the human rights law. JP is against "compelled speech" which is exactly what is going on across the country.

Last year there was a case in Ontario of a 30k fine for misgendering by an employer:

https://www.hrreporter.com/focus-areas/ ... uns/361374

Last year a BC human rights tribunal also did the same, another 30k fine for breaking the law:

https://www.them.us/story/canadian-cour ... -violation

Of course, we don't know how many of these cases are reported to the human rights tribunals, rejected, awarded etc. But we know misgendering is illegal in JP's province and he's right to at least have concerns about Bill C-16, even if his concerns end up apparently not applying to federal law as "hate speech" (so far). Hate speech typically has a high threshold federally, but a lower threshold with these provincial human rights tribunals which are a bit of a joke. Most of JP's concerns should be towards the Ontario government.

Are these civil cases or criminal cases?

I never asked you to write anything out.

Then you are asking me to debate something that is not written out anywhere and is therefore too susceptible to interpretation to function as a point of debate.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Truth To Power

Your post had no explanation as to how JP's Senate testimony does nit provide a rationalization for discrimination against trans people.

Yes, of course it did: the fact that he said no such thing. By your absurd, anti-truth, anti-honesty "logic," if JP says, "Jung had a lot to say about archetypes," that provides a rationalization for discrimination against trans people unless I can provide an explanation for why it doesn't. It's nothing but absurd, anti-rational, disingenuous filth.
Would you like to try again?

I've already demonstrated multiple times that your accusation has no basis in fact. It is completely unsupported by anything Peterson actually said. You are merely congenitally unable to concede that you are objectively incorrect.
@Truth To Power

If you do not see it, then you do not.

———————

@Unthinking Majority

After reading the articles, it seems that these businesses suffered fines only after continued harassment and eventually firing employees.

These seem to be workplace harassment issues. Unless you think that employers should legally be allowed to harass and discriminate against trans people, I do not see the problem.
Pants-of-dog wrote:These seem to be workplace harassment issues.
Please provide a source for this claim. You are forming an opinion based on your biases.

Everybody is a little bit mixed. That is not wh[…]

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]