Should the UK ban the short form of language? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

What's the prob with short-form Eng.?

English was - tradtionally - the language of the lower classes in England, while the upper classes and educated spoke French (a much more precise, synthetically-created language).

Because (because) English owes its form and particular style to the less educated classes (the proles), the short-form of English is A-Ok IMHO.

► Show Spoiler
Robert Urbanek wrote:Texting will be the death of proper English.

‘Proper’ English is already a total mess. Nothing can ruin it, since it has never had any ‘purity’ as a language. English originated as a mashup of about half a dozen different Germanic languages during the Age of Migration when the Angles, the Saxons, the Frisians and anyone else who could carry a sword and sail a boat was invading the British Isles. And then the Normans invaded and added French to the stew and stirred vigorously. Lol. No, English isn’t like Latin or French. Nothing can ‘ruin’ it. Texting is l33t. :)
@Robert Urbanek Are you stuck in the 1900s? :excited: ;)

22 years ago I had a Motorola flip phone, I was nice. I wish I still had it. The reception was superb. Just a basic phone, though. It didn't have a camera or video screen. It was small and compact, though. That part was great.
Godstud wrote:@Robert Urbanek Are you stuck in the 1900s? :excited: ;)

22 years ago I had a Motorola flip phone, I was nice. I wish I still had it. The reception was superb. Just a basic phone, though. It didn't have a camera or video screen. It was small and compact, though. That part was great.

I'm on my third Consumer Cellular flip phone, which has a camera and texting. The phones have gotten bigger and heavier. I will likely get a smartphone this summer.
Potemkin wrote:‘Proper’ English is already a total mess. Nothing can ruin it, since it has never had any ‘purity’ as a language. English originated as a mashup of about half a dozen different Germanic languages during the Age of Migration when the Angles, the Saxons, the Frisians and anyone else who could carry a sword and sail a boat was invading the British Isles. And then the Normans invaded and added French to the stew and stirred vigorously. Lol. No, English isn’t like Latin or French. Nothing can ‘ruin’ it. Texting is l33t. :)

Yes, I've heard English described as the "tofu" of languages; it picks up the flavors of other languages.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Yes, I've heard English described as the "tofu" of languages; it picks up the flavors of other languages.

Precisely. Its skeleton is Germanic, but everything else is a melange of multitudinous linguistic influences. See what I did there? ;)
CallumPrecious1 wrote:Guys!!! Seriously!!! These short form language you use is not acceptable because over the weekend i was very angry due to this. How about we should say the word "people", "fabulous", "celebrities", "gentlemen", "universities" ("university") etc.

I made a video about it just now, so if you want to watch it, please read this video immediately by clicking: [PLEASE READ] Should the UK ban short form language this year?

Ok, seriously, no country is going to ban anything just because it inexplicably makes you angry. You need therapy.
Saeko wrote:Ok, seriously, no country is going to ban anything just because it inexplicably makes you angry. You need therapy.

That boy needs a therapist!

Rancid wrote:Fuck bitch cunt dick pussy ass shit

The above post is where English is headed.

It has gotten crasser and less intelligent over time because... it was not designed for precision or accuracy. Just money.
QatzelOk wrote:The above post is where English is headed.

It has gotten crasser and less intelligent over time because... it was not designed for precision or accuracy. Just money.

Shit piss cunt fuck cock sucker mother fucker shit fart dirty twat
Rancid wrote:Shit piss cunt fuck cock sucker mother fucker shit fart dirty twat

QatzelOk wrote:
The above post is where English is headed.

Editors and academics acted as gatekeepers to keep the national dialogue tethered to reality.

It was not perfect, but social media has diminished their influence. Social media also tends to be brief. So instead of a 280 page deep dive into an issue, you get 280 characters.

People that have done decades of work on a subject, face off against a thousand morons that have learned how mobs work.
late wrote:Editors and academics acted as gatekeepers to keep the national dialogue tethered to reality.

It was not perfect, but social media has diminished their influence. Social media also tends to be brief. So instead of a 280 page deep dive into an issue, you get 280 characters.

People that have done decades of work on a subject, face off against a thousand morons that have learned how mobs work.

You seem to be suggesting that English is "safe and effective." But COVID proved otherwise.

In the middle of the "crisis," while everyone was flashing digital passports to enter shopping malls with masks on, the newspapers ran articles here in Montréal that the English language was more dangerous than French for transmission because English is far more percussive. It projects a lot more saliva than French.

These articles are impossible to find now, like so many other lies from that strangely genocidal period.
QatzelOk wrote:

mo' money mo' money mo' money mo' money mo' money mo' money

Shouldn't you be happy English is collapsing? :lol:

While there are legitimate points to be made about the decline of civilization (especially western). You people (yes, you people), choose some of the dumbest of things to judge on. :lol:

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]