Graph Abuse and false conclusions - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

This article in Zero Hedge, uses the above graph (and two others) to "prove" that mankind is not threatened by climate change. The author asks people to notice that carbon content is not always related to higher or lower temperatures. And he goes on to ask us to notice that carbon is lower than it's been in millions of years.

But what the author "doesn't say" is more important than this article's words.

1. Mankind has only been around for a million years. Notice where carbon was a million years ago, and notice where it is now.

2. In other Periods, the atmosphere contained a different chemical mix than it does today, and none of these chemical mixes were able to support human life. So if temperature and carbon content "are not always related in the same way," this is because the chart includes periods of archeological history that didn't have human life or even mammals. Useful.

This way of using charts to "prove" a point... allows for this kind of charlatanism. "Look at the lines on the graph. Aren't they pretty and encouraging! Now, let's not analyze the chart too much, being careful to only select information that lends itself to the soundbites that promote our interests..."
Last edited by QatzelOk on 28 Nov 2023 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
QatzelOk wrote:But what the author "doesn't say" is more important than this article's words.

1. Mankind has only been around for a million years. Notice where carbon was a million years ago, and notice where it is not.

2. In other Periods, the atmosphere contained a different chemical mix than it does today, and none of these chemical mixes were able to support human life. So if temperature and carbon content "are not always related in the same way," this is because the chart includes periods of archeological history that didn't have human life or even mammals. Useful.

Perhaps.
I'm not saying you do not have a point, but during the early Jurassic period, CO2 levels in the air were 1660 ppm. Compared to 418-421 today.
https://cp.copernicus.org/articles/16/2055/2020/

Another article for the more "simple-minded" who need to be spoon-fed interpretations of the data: Dinosaur Era Had 5 Times Today's CO2
Puffer Fish wrote:...during the early Jurassic period, CO2 levels in the air were 1660 ppm. Compared to 418-421 today.
https://cp.copernicus.org/articles/16/2055/2020/

But human life was impossible back then, so this is no consolation.

But if someone actually thought that humans and dinosaurs "could live together" like in the Spielberg movie... then this fun-Jurassic-fact that you mention might give them hope.
I just found an interesting poll online that I wasn't looking for, and I ALMOST posted it in a POFO thread.

But then I looked up the actual poll, and compared it to the narrative that the poll-using information source created with the numbers. (The information that the RT article exploits is in the sections of the poll on "Israel-Hamas" and "Latest Events.")

Using American poll data, RT wrote: Most young Americans want Israel given to Hamas – poll
A survey has found that two-thirds of US adults under age 25 see Jews as “oppressors” ...

I decided, finally, not to use the article or the poll data.

While the data regarding "youth perception of Jews as oppressors" matches up with the poll numbers of 67% on this exact question, the idea that American youth "want to give Israel to Hamas" is not really backed up by the data.

So while USA youth (18-24) appear to see Jews (and other white people) as oppressors (which is accurate), I don't see any number that would suggest that the USA's youth would like to see Hamas in charge of the entire Palestine region.

One other thing I want to mention. The poll includes questions about university support for "genocide of Jews" which is really off the charts as far as propaganda goes, since it is Israel that is currently capable of genocide because of its American weaponry, as well as being actively involved in mass killings.

The main purpose of polls like this one... is to see how successful certain propaganda campaigns have been. I sense that most of the questions in the poll relate to this - measuring the impact of recent media lies by powerful people ON the perception of dull normals.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]