McDonald's make you unhealthy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Ixa
http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/press/ ... 20104.html

LAST February, Morgan Spurlock decided to become a gastronomical guinea pig. His mission: To eat three meals a day for 30 days at McDonald's and document the impact on his health.

Scores of cheeseburgers, hundreds of fries and dozens of chocolate shakes later, the formerly strapping 6-foot-2 New Yorker - who started out at a healthy 185 pounds - had packed on 25 pounds.

But his supersized shape was the least of his problems.

Within a few days of beginning his drive-through diet, Spurlock, 33, was vomiting out the window of his car, and doctors who examined him were shocked at how rapidly Spurlock's entire body deteriorated.

"It was really crazy - my body basically fell apart over the course of 30 days," Spurlock told The Post.

His liver became toxic, his cholesterol shot up from a low 165 to 230, his libido flagged and he suffered headaches and depression.

Spurlock charted his journey from fit to flab in a tongue-in-cheek documentary, which he has taken to the Sundance Film Festival with the hopes of getting a distribution deal.

"Super Size Me" explores the obesity epidemic that plagues America today - a sort of "Bowling for Columbine" for fast food.

As well as documenting his own burger-fueled bulk-up, Spurlock travels to 20 cities across America, interviewing people on the street, health experts and a lobbyist for the fast-food industry.

Despite making dozens of phone calls, Spurlock fails to get anyone from McDonald's to agree to an on-camera interview. A spokeswoman for McDonald's told The Post yesterday that no representatives from the corporation had seen "Super Size Me."

"Consumers can achieve balance in their daily dining decisions by choosing from our array of quality offerings and range of portion sizes to meet their taste and nutrition goals," McDonald's said in a statement.

Over the course of the film, Spurlock is regularly examined by a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist and SoHo-based general practitioner Dr. Daryl Isaacs.

"He was an extremely healthy person who got very sick eating this McDonald's diet," Dr. Isaacs told The Post.

"None of us imagined he could deteriorate this badly - he looked terrible. The liver test was the most shocking thing - it became very, very abnormal." Spurlock has since returned to normal health. "The treatment was to just stop doing what he was doing," Dr. Isaacs says.

Spurlock, who says he ate at McDonald's only sporadically before his total immersion in the Mickey D's menu, says he even began craving fat and sugar fixes between meals.

"I got desperately ill," he says. "My face was splotchy and I had this huge gut, which I've never had in my life.

"My knees started to hurt from the extra weight coming on so quickly. It was amazing - and really frightening."

Spurlock's girlfriend, Alex Jamieson, was horrified - she's a vegan chef.

"She was completely disgusted by me, not happy at all," he says. "But she realized what my goals were in trying to educate people." Spurlock, a film producer who grew up in West Virginia and studied ballet for eight years, was spurred to make his first feature film while watching TV on Thanksgiving Day, 2002.

"I was feeling like a typical American on Thanksgiving - very bloated and happy on the couch - and at some point on the news they were talking about two women who were suing McDonald's.

"People from the food industry were saying, 'You can't link kids being fat to our food - our food is nutritious.'

"I said, 'How nutritious is it really? Let's find out."

Not surprisingly, Spurlock has steered clear of the Golden Arches since filming wrapped.

"I have not had McDonald's for seven months, but yesterday, during an interview, I had a bite of a Big Mac," he says.

"I chewed it up, swallowed it and I said, 'You know what, I'm pretty much done after that bite.' "

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/16393.htm
By Demosthenes
No shit? burgers and fires make you fat? WOW! Thanks, if you hadn't spammed the forum with this I wouldn't have known. :knife:
By Ixa
Read the entire article. Why do you always respond to just the title of
a person's post?
By Political Interest
I am familair with this man, I think it bad of the Capitalists to so iresponsebly serve food that is of such fatness.
By Vassili Zaitsev
And you're just now figuring this out Ixabert? :roll: Were you by any chance the guinea pig? :lol:
By Comrade Ogilvy
I regurarely work out, and I eat healthy. I won't bother philosophy about what McDonalds does to my body when I'm there once a week only. Life's fun. Get over it. ;)
By Vassili Zaitsev
McD's makes shitty burgers. And I won't even speak of their McNuggets. :x But I will say, McD's can make some good fries.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Vassili Zaitsev wrote:McD's makes shitty burgers. And I won't even speak of their McNuggets. :x But I will say, McD's can make some good fries.

Even though the fries aren’t 100% potatoes.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Milorg wrote:McD is crap.. BK makes much better burgers..

I don't know. I like the burgers from McDonalds, but I have noticed on commercial that Burger King has cheaper hamburgers then McD.

Even though the fries aren’t 100% potatoes.

What are they made of? :?:
By Lu-Tze
never mind the fact that mcdonalds exploits thousands of acres of 3rd world countries producing cheap beef so that america and other countries can live off crappy, cheap, fast, unhealthy food, while those countries have to deal with starvation because not enough food is produced for themselves. . . . . . .
By GandalfTheGrey
Demo, you're the only one spamming this thread. I for one found this article very interesting and informative. Of course I knew maccas was bad for you, but I had no idea it would have this sort of effect.
By Demosthenes
I for one found this article very interesting and informative
I'm sure you did. :eh:
By QatzelOk
It's interesting that Congress changed fries to Freedom food. In France, most of the food would taste better on the way out than American food tastes on the way in. Make that American Fries with an Amerian Shake [I don't believe they contain milk at McDo]. Jose Bove, you are my hero.
By DTguitarist99
In France, most of the food would taste better on the way out than American food tastes on the way in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: My nomination for post of the day! Probably true too, at least for McDonalds anyway.

But seriously, I am not suprised at all by this article. McDonalds is trash. Their burgers look and taste rather anemic. Burger King is great either, but at least their burgers taste real. There breakfast isn't bad though, gotta love those sausage and egg bagel sandwiches.
By Independent Mind
Random observation - the worst fries I ever had in my life were in Paris. Whatever kind of oil they made them in, they came out yellow and tasted bad.

I do have some McDonalds recommendations. Their pancakes and hot tea for breakfast are quite good. That's about it.

Somehow it figures that a West Virginian would think to try this. I can say that. I am one.
By clownboy
Comrade Ixabert wrote:Read the entire article. Why do you always respond to just the title of
a person's post?

Because you just spam a bunch of crap - without including YOUR thoughts on what you posted. Monkies can be taught to cut and paste, what are YOUR thoughts on the matter?

Fast food, up until recently (the last couple decades), was NEVER considered a food staple. It's supposed to be a treat, as in every once in a while, NOT every freakin' day!

Fer chris'sakes, if you LIVE on Snickers bars you're eventually gonna feel some effects.
By clownboy
In France, most of the food would taste better on the way out than American food tastes on the way in.

Yeah, maybe, but then you'd be in FRANCE, and that negates any benefit you may have acquired. :lol:
By chipchat2
No one's forcing me to eat at McDonalds. this should be in the science section
By pwilliams
never mind the fact that mcdonalds exploits thousands of acres of 3rd world countries producing cheap beef so that america and other countries can live off crappy, cheap, fast, unhealthy food, while those countries have to deal with starvation because not enough food is produced for themselves. . . . . . .

Umm... this isnt really true. The beef that is used at McDonald's uses U.S. beef because U.S. Beef is the cheapest. I love how you always try and work in the story of a corporation that is "exploiting" another 3rd world country... Its pathetic esspecially when you just think its going on and it really isnt. You know why a big mac cost a fortune in Hawaii because it costs alot to import. Why would MCD import beef from so called 3rd world counties when its cheaper to get it here. Although they may import some beef the majority comes from the US[/code]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]