Opposing Space Colonization - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By MB.
I find that modern entertainment media has glamorized, glorified and romanticized space colonization to the point where many people are willing to endorse it as a 'logical next stage' or even 'necessary way forward' for the human species.

Oppositional voices are often quashed under mountains of derailment. I'm posting this thread so that people who actaully oppose space colonization can discuss their motivations, plan letter campaigns, and otherwise organize against the increasing mass movement that endorses the colonization of space.
By JohnRawls
Space colonization is bullshit right now and we have plenty recources of earth so there is no need . Although it does give us a large safe testing ground for dangerous products.
By Oxymoron
I am against space colonization. It is a waste of time and money, if private companies want to do it, then by god let them.
By NYYS
Most of your support is going to come from people who think it's a waste of money, MB. I don't think you'll find a lot of agreement expressing what you did in that other thread. You're probably better off going for the "we have poor people on Earth and we want to go to space!!!" angle.
By MB.
This movement shouldn't be ideologically disposed one way or the other. I welcome those who view space colonization as a waste of economic resources.
By lessnot
Shame you're not in America, I'd support you whole hartedly from across the pond. You might give it a catchy name like tàikōng jīn to gather support from other like minded people.
By Photonmaton
Why would you morally oppose space exploration...? :eh: Should Humans have stayed in Sub-Saharan Africa too? We're just as much a part of nature as anything else.
By Oxymoron
Yes if the climate was hospitable and the food source stable we would never leave Africa.

While the Earth isnt perfect now, it is a hell of a lot better then any thing in space.
By SlipperyPeople
MB I don't understand your opposition to space exploration. Colonizing an inhabited world is one thing, but what is wrong with establishing a living presence on planets, like those of our solar system, that are currently dead? The virginity of the moon, Mars, and Europa from human environmental contamination means nothing if there is no life there to value it.

I see the potential transformation of Mars into a conventionally habitable planet as one of the most meaningful, I daresay artistic ventures available to the human race at the present time.
By The Clockwork Rat
I see the potential transformation of Mars into a conventionally habitable planet as one of the most meaningful, I daresay artistic ventures available to the human race at the present time.

And yet utterly pointless. Meaning, in what way? Artistic? Neither of these are going to do anything to sort out problems on Earth.
By Quantum
Space colonisation requires phenomenal amounts of physical and financial capital. It would take many decades, even centuries, for the benefits to materialise for humanity and even then it will only benefit a small percentage of the population. I prefer to spend funds on worthwhile ventures, rather than spend funds on useless Hollywood-inspired fantasies concocted by futurists from NASA. The private sector can spend money on space travel and IIRC, Richard Branson developed space flights with his private capital and it has been a successful project AFAIK.

Not only do I find it unfeasible and undesirable, I'm not concerned with saving humanity in general and if resources ever run out (there's still an abundance of resources), then we have to accept the consequences of using the resources inefficiently and settle for a lower population in the world, rather than find a way to transport humans to space and waste billions of litres of fuel and millions of tonnes of materials in the process.
By SlipperyPeople
Meaning, in what way? Artistic?

Building a world up from almost nothing; the creation of new ecological and, perhaps, human systems--not to mention less profound but still interesting creative acts like architecture.

if resources ever run out (there's still an abundance of resources), then we have to accept the consequences of using the resources inefficiently and settle for a lower population in the world

Assuming that will even be possible...
By Aekos
Very grandiose. I prefer literature, music and drugs to that effect.

Not everyone lacks ambition. Plans to colonize space largely don't affect you, you can just sit at home reading a book while listening to music and smoking pot. Why waste time actively opposing it, when attempts are inevitable?
By dudekebm
I'm actually for it, although given the current state of politics within the West especially the US, I doubt it will happen under the auspices of the US. We don't have that pioneer spirit or 'balls' anymore it seems, worrying more about 'current social issues' than loftier long term goals.

At the risk of pissing off a moderator, MB I'm surprised someone as educated as you would be so short-sighted. Colonization now is obviously impractical. However as a long term goal for mankind it is inevitable and should be something that should be embraced. Terraforming of Mars for example can only be done successfully by those who have an appreciation of how fragile a habitable environment is and such folks will probably begin to "re-terraform" Earth back to its more natural state. As far as the waste of resources mantra, non-productive leaches who want to feed off nanny state entitlements can also be considered wastes of resources. It depends on how far one's vision extends.

Are we merely concerned with our lifetime and our comforts or are we considering those of our children and several generations down the line? Abandoning colonization and space exploration may seem like an immediate comfort and boon to us getting rid of a perceived waste of resources, but in fact IMHO we're looking at perhaps crippling future generations of humans from ever doing anything worthwhile. Also take for example if we colonized Mars, the end result would not be seen for at least a century or so before the end result of terraforming comes to fruition which would be a whole new habitable world with a thriving ecosystem that admittedly had been engineered by humans but offers a new space for living for future generations of humankind.
By QatzelOk
if private companies want to do it, then by god let them.

But they would need to enslave the rest of humanity and risk destroying several species.

Should they still be allowed to do this, with these kind of risks that OTHER PEOPLE have to make for them to proceed?
By astuc
dudekebm wrote:Are we merely concerned with our lifetime and our comforts or are we considering those of our children and several generations down the line

That's quite a reversal of common sense as it is the cult of space colonization that is destroying the earth for future generations who want to stay and live on earth. This cult believes that we are like locusts devouring our home planet than moving on to the next. This supports a predatory political agenda. These dreamers are too afraid to explore the real world and would rather fantasize about some magical future where the laws of physics have been changed.
By Jackal
Oxymoron wrote:I am against space colonization. It is a waste of time and money, if private companies want to do it, then by god let them.

This.

Would be boring without it though. Also how is[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you think US soldiers would conduct such suici[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 29, Monday Empire’s air training scheme ta[…]

BRICS will fail

Americans so desperate for a Cold War 2.0 they inv[…]