Pot smokers, unite! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Wolfman
I'm thinking of writing my State Senator and/or Governor to try to encourage the legalization of pot for medicinal use, and I'm hoping the various pot smokers and pot smoker sympathizers could give me ideas on info I could include.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: people seem to be missing this, but due to the conservative nature of Nebraskan Politics, I'm only looking for Medicinal pot. Full legalization can come later.
Last edited by Wolfman on 19 Feb 2010 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
By MB.
No problem.
By SpecialOlympian
You could go over the various reasons it was criminalized including William Randolph Hearst, the invention of the decorticator (Popular Mechanics predicted it would turn hemp into a billion dollar crop), hemps use as a sulfur/acid free paper source, and the fact that hemp is a NAFTA approved exporting crop but one can only apply for a license to grow it it through the DEA (Not 100% on the DEA part though).
By Wolfman
Well, Nebraska is a rather conservative state. Last election, one district went to Obama, and before that nothing since LBJ. And we've only rarely had DNC Senators/Congressmen. I'd be surprised if we legalized pot (medical or otherwise) in the next 5-10 years. I think the only thing that could really change that is if we moved a bunch of Oregonians to Nebraska long enough to legalize pot. TIG, I don't suppose you're interested in moving?

Anyways, I went through the thread you posted MB, and it was mostly an argument about why pot should be completely legal. I'm looking for a more attainable goal: medicinal pot. I already planned on including the idea that we could have the pot be a state monopoly, which could be used to help the budget short-fall.

Anyone have any ideas on medicinal pot?
By Bosnjak
It is unbelievable how many people smoke pot.

The Rastafaris refer to this:

Genesis 1:11 "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."
Genesis 1:29 "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb-bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."
Genesis 3:18 "... thou shalt eat the herb of the field."
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith."[21]
Psalms 104:14 "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man."
Revalation 22:2 " the river of life proceeded to flow from the throne of God, and on either side of the bank there was the tree of life, and the leaf from that tree is for the healing of the nations"
By Jackal
If you are only looking for medicinal pot, the title of this thread sure is confusing. In any case I don't and never have smoked so this doesn't really interest me. Would be more effective if you get more people from Nebraska to write, seeing that there are not many Nebraskans on here.
By Wolfman
I was hoping there were pot smokers on this site who were long time advocates who could get me source material on the usefulness of pot as medicine, or something along the lines.

My basic plan of action for this is as follows:
Write a letter to my State Senator and Governor
Have like 5 people proof read/fact check it
Email them
When they don't care, attempt a letter writing campaign
When that fails, attempt a ballot initiative
When that fails, give up.
By Guillotine
This plan is a huge waste of time. You can't simply write a grandiose persuasive letter that will change the hearts and minds of U.S. politicians (not that they have either amirite? :p). If it were that easy citizens every where would be gloriously toking up in solidarity. Instead you should consider joining a local organization currently fighting for action. Less work and the camaraderie is comfort.

Also, it would be a terrible idea to solo the issue if someone else has to point out the source information. Jesus christ...you are fighting for marijuana. More articles exist on the subject than you could even attempt to read.
By danholo
OR you could move to California. Medical marijuana is available here in Israel, and actually happens to house one of the foremost research labs of the plant in the world. I remember watching some documentary about medical and one of their interviewees was an Israel "pot" professor.

It is preposterous that weed is illegal but what can we do?
By Wolfman
I have a contractual obligation to stay close enough to Nebraska to get to work. And the economy of California is in the toilet. Plus, I'm a federal employee so state laws don't matter, I'm not allowed to smoke. And I'm not aware of any large scale pot advocacy group in Nebraska.
By Quantum
I suggest you establish or join a state-wide marijuana legalisation chapter rather than write to Senators and Congressmen because they will just ignore your letter or at least write a negative reply, explaining why they consider your opinion wrong. From this, you should build the organisation with grass-roots support and campaign for the legalisation of marijuana although this will be expensive in time and money but it's more effective then writing to your representatives.
By QatzelOk
Medical marijuana is available here in Israel, and actually happens to house one of the foremost research labs of the plant in the world.

Africaaner Dr. Patrick Van Der Sar was the foremost researcher into marijuana's medicinal uses in the 1960s right up until the white supremacist professor was forced to leave South Africa in the early 90s.
By Sephardi
I need pot when talking about politics because I get too heated and end up carded... Is that considered a medicinal purpose for the use of marijuana??
By Northern-Anarchist-X
When that fails, give up.

Nah. When all that fails, demonstrate in the streets.

Seriously.

Pot is inching towards decriminilization here in Canada. Actually, in the Czech Republic they're sort of decriminalizing pretty much everything. LSD, Cocaine, Peyote ... you name it ...
By danholo
Africaaner Dr. Patrick Van Der Sar was the foremost researcher into marijuana's medicinal uses in the 1960s right up until the white supremacist professor was forced to leave South Africa in the early 90s.

This Israeli professor seemed very cooky, liberal and left wing. If you didn't know, we have people here from every side of the political spectrum. But thanks for the stereotyping. It falls in line with your generally racist and antisemitic rhetoric.
By QatzelOk
If you didn't know, we have people here from every side of the political spectrum.

So did South Africa and Nazi Germany. So does Canada.

So who cares.

What's important is the legal structures that are in place, and how they impact the people who were living there (and are still living there). This includes all of the Palestinians, and not just the ones who are living in specific bantustans on the sides of Jew-only highways in the West Bank.
By danholo
So did South Africa and Nazi Germany. So does Canada.

Indeed, it is a normal country, with free thinking people. Canada has amazing weed, and you must be very well aware of that.

So who cares.

I do, the pot smoking community and you, obviously.

What's important is the legal structures that are in place, and how they impact the people who were living there (and are still living there). This includes all of the Palestinians, and not just the ones who are living in specific bantustans on the sides of Jew-only highways in the West Bank.

The legal structure is alright, actually, but the people should care about it more. In other words, Israelis should take responsibility in condemning openly those few settlers that harass and make the lives of certain Palestinians utterly humiliating. The fact that people don't care enough is disgusting and disturbing. Also, why do you call the areas Palestinians live in bantustans? A bantustan, as a concept, is quite different even at its premise, or are you saying Palestinian tribes are different nations that Israel is dividing up so they won't have national unity or something? Not happening; The idea was a Palestinian state, which is undivided and contiguous, so it can be economically viable and functioning. Indeed, we should do our utmost here, with our Palestinian brethren to speed up the legalization of marijuana so we can get the scourge of this immoral law rectified. The theory by the the weed smoking party here is that if we legalize weed, the Arabs will have too much excess hash that they'll have to smoke it. I guess they'd chill out more, yeah?

On a side note, which would belong in another thread, do you think we should abolish "the occupation" and incorporate all of the Palestinians as equal citizens of the state of Israel? Or what do you suggest?

You should put the full quote I am of the o[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]