What would you do, Mr. President? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Obama, Biden and Boehner all decide they're done with politics. In a moment of governmental vacuum, the country turns to you as President.

The house is Republican, the senate is Democratic. They can't agree on the color of a blue pen. Liberals and conservatives are at eachother's throats all over the country.

Again - Considering that it's very very tough to get things through congress right now, what are your first 5 steps?

This is designed specifically so I won't get answers like: "I'll repeal Obamacare!" or "I'll pass cap and trade!".
I'd declare Martial Law and go ahead with steamrollering my policies through. They would include fully withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan, gun licencing, developing a free and high quality nationalised medical care system, rebuilding American manufacturing industry and giving independence to Guam, Puerto Rico and American Samoa.
I'd declare Martial Law and go ahead with steamrollering my policies through. They would include fully withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan, gun licencing, developing a free and high quality nationalised medical care system, rebuilding American manufacturing industry and giving independence to Guam, Puerto Rico and American Samoa.

That's pretty much exactly what I would do, with the addition that I would arm the working class and disarm the ruling class, and expropriate the capitalist and financier class. :up:
The ClockworkRat wrote:Sign in Pote as VP, then fuck off to New Zealand.
Kman wrote:Recall all troops from foreign theaters and then procede to veto virtually every bill the muppets would try and push through (unless ofc it was a bill to reduce government spending or regulation).
Potemkin wrote:That's pretty much exactly what I would do, with the addition that I would arm the working class and disarm the ruling class, and expropriate the capitalist and financier class.
Section Leader wrote:I'd declare Martial Law and go ahead with steamrollering my policies through.

Exactly the kind of dumbass answers I didn't want. Can anyone answer seriously?

Rei Murasame wrote:Are all of Obama's advisers still in place in this scenario?

You can have Mickey Mouse and Batman as your advisers as far as I'm concerned. What would you realistically do?
The ClockworkRat wrote:You expect to get realistic answers to a question with an unrealistic premise?

What's unrealistic about the premise? (Other than you get to be President)

Everything else I've described is going on right now. How is it not realistic?
The ClockworkRat wrote:What's unrealistic about the premise? (Other than you get to be President)

The point is to get some answers about how one would handle the congressional gridlock and faltering economy that the current President is dealing with. I hear a lot of criticisms about him, so I would like to know what people would do different.

If that is such a monumental task for you, then fine, but quit the stupid answers.
Section Leader wrote:I'd declare Martial Law and go ahead with steamrollering my policies through. They would include fully withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan, gun licencing, developing a free and high quality nationalised medical care system, rebuilding American manufacturing industry and giving independence to Guam, Puerto Rico and American Samoa.

I'm a Liberal SL and retired from the US military. Knowing that the US military would be firm yet benevolent - I think I would do the same. Totalitarian until a common sense infrastructure was in place. No Potemkin, TCR - it would not be communist... :D Utopian.... ;) When I was done there would not be a "ruling class".
Last edited by CounterChaos on 25 Sep 2011 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Genghis Khan wrote:The point is to get some answers about how one would handle the congressional gridlock and faltering economy that the current President is dealing with. I hear a lot of criticisms about him, so I would like to know what people would do different.

We have such different goals to Obama that trying to do what he is, but 'better,' is nonsensical.
The ClockworkRat wrote:We have such different goals to Obama that trying to do what he is, but 'better,' is nonsensical.

I could have given you a hypothetical in which congress whatever the hell you want, but I'm looking for other perspectives for THIS situation.

As I said, if it's so hard for you to fathom, then don't answer.
Genghis Khan wrote:Exactly the kind of dumbass answers I didn't want. Can anyone answer seriously?

My answer was 100% serious, what exactly would you consider a serious answer? Ignoring the constitution, senate and congress and brutally crushing any resistance?

The president is not a business executive, he should not be active or trying to lead the economy in any way. The economy and country in general would do alot better if Obama just locked himself into a room and didnt come out until the re-election was on.
Kman wrote:
My answer was 100% serious, what exactly would you consider a serious answer? Ignoring the constitution, senate and congress and brutally crushing any resistance?

The president is not a business executive, he should not be active or trying to lead the economy in any way. The economy and country in general would do alot better if Obama just locked himself into a room and didnt come out until the re-election was on.

He wanted a list of steps. I did one for you.

1. Cut taxes
2. Cut spending
3. Deregulation
4. ?
5. Free market! :DDD
Conscript wrote:He wanted a list of steps. I did one for you.

1. Cut taxes
2. Cut spending
3. Deregulation
4. ?
5. Free market! :DDD

If you cant get anything through congress then making a list is useless, the president is not a dictator, he cant do jack shit if congress and the senate arent willing to play ball.
I'll assume that the normal rules of Presidential succession are in order, and that as such I either was previously in the Cabinet, albeit in a low-profile position, or that I was somehow appointed Speaker of the House following the resignation of Obama, Biden, and Boehner.

1. Begin building influence amongst the Senators and Representatives through both positive and negative methods. I'd begin approaching the Congressmen closest to me politically and attempt to win them over to my camp. In tandem, I'd form a "dirty-tricks" team similar to Nixon's, with the orders to dig up as much damaging dirt on as as many Congressmen as possible. I'd continue these methods until I had enough political capital to push through my whole agenda.

2. Close many of the tax loopholes applying to individuals. Reorganize the tax brackets, adding a bracket that covers individuals who make $2,000,000 or more before tax at a rate of between 42 and 45%. Raise rates by 2% on all lower brackets. Reduce corporate tax rates by 3% across the board, and provide further reductions to corporations that actually create jobs in the USA.

3. Begin the process of fundamental entitlement reform. Index the age at which one can begin receiving Social Security benefits to mean life expectancy, with the goal of giving people an average of 4 years of benefits. Insert a provision that reduces payments to seniors on a sliding scale, with the amount paid reduced depending upon annual income (if any). Reduce the amount paid in Social Security disability insurance by 30%.

4. Consolidate Obamacare, Medicaid, and Medicare into one system, removing redundant agencies and cutting bureaucratic expenditures. The government would supply citizens with vouchers to purchase health insurance from any private company. The amount paid in a voucher would be reduced for people with higher incomes. Break up the regional monopolies on healthcare providers.

5. Pass tort reform, setting strict formulae for the amount of money that can be claimed in a lawsuit, capping the amount in punitive damages that a jury could award at 20% of the amount awarded as per the basic formula. Institute a "loser-pays" law if the amount contested is over a certain amount.

Immediately after this would be:

6. Quadruple funding for NASA and national scientific grant organizations. Place responsibility for allocating grant money in the hands of qualified individuals from the field in question.

7. Build a large wall along the US-Mexican border. Redeploy troops from overseas bases (primarily Afghanistan and Europe) to the border as a means of guarding it.

8 Fundamental educational reform, emphasizing aptitude testing in a variety of areas and vocational training (modeled loosely on the German system).

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]

The GOP is pretty much the anti-democracy party a[…]

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]