Are You Here to Debate Today's News, or Debate Politics? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

There are so many issues, across the globe and many users here seem to be genuinely concerned about local and world politics.

So why are the majority of the users spending their time, debating and rehashing, the same tired subject matter?

We have so many good minds here, and concerned individuals, don't you think it a waste to not have something to show from our collective gathering?

I have proposed several instances where we could get together and write bills, but thus far, few if any, have been interested enough to engage. I am hoping this was due to a lack of consensus, on views that I deem important, rather than a collective apathy.

So, in line with that hope, I am asking all of you to engage, engage me, engage one another, but for goodness sake become proactive.

What I would like to see, is users forming groups to write bills to be sent into their local representatives, or even items that could be sent to the International Court/United Nations.

The great thing here is the possibility, just that hint of what could be and with that possibility comes the chance that we, as a group, could make a real difference in our local area, State, Nation or, if we go for the gold, help shape international politics.

The worst that can come from this is, we waste a bit of time and nothing comes from it. However, we all waste a bit of time here and most assuredly, nothing is coming from it.

I am willing to help shape and do the research for, any subject that anyone here wants to explore, for any level action, for any Country.

I think we can make a difference, I hope there are others here who are willing to at least try.

~KFlint

For others who are in the USA, we can also submit petitions to the White House.

Here is a sample bill and here is a bill template.

PRINCETON MODEL CONGRESS
Committee: Principal Author:
Bill No: Delegation:
Title of Bill:
Freedom of Marriage Act
BE IT ENACTED BY THE PRINCETON MODEL CONGRESS

Preamble: Whereas same-sex civil unions are legal only in California, Hawaii and Vermont,
and since same-sex marriage is only legal in Massachusetts, and since marriage is currently
defined as a union between a man and woman, and since the Defense of Marriage Act
prevents same-sex couples from receiving family health coverage, medical and bereavement
leave, child custody, tax benefits and pension plans, and since the Supreme Court declared
marriage as a fundamental right under the Constitution,

SECTION 1: Let the definition of marriage be only a legal union between one man and one
woman, one man and one man and one woman and one woman.

SECTION 2: Let married couples, as defined in SECTION 1, and persons in a civil union
receive all rights and benefits reserved for married couples under the definition of marriage
in the Defense of Marriage Act.

SECTION 3: Let same-sex couples receive equal opportunity, privilege and right to adopt a
child.

SECTION 4: Let states receive increased federal funding.

Sub-SECTION A: 15% increase in highway funding and 10% increase in
discretionary funding when adopting SECTION 1

Sub-SECTION A: 15% increase in highway funding and 15% increase in
discretionary funding when adopting SECTION 2

Sub-SECTION A: 5% increase in highway funding and 2% increase in
discretionary funding when adopting SECTION 3

SECTION 5: This bill shall go into effect 91 days after passage.
Anyone can do it, the bill just needs support and that is when leveraging support comes in. This is done by delivering the bill to every single person in the Senate/House, in order to garner support.

Also one can submit the formed bill to lower branches so it is going up the line from inside the system and contact local press, blogs, websites, etc, in order to get the word out. Social networking sites are also good for this, as the more people that are involved and the greater areas of exposure, the better.

Drafting Bills

Legislation can be written by anyone, but only a Member of Congress can introduce a bill (or "measure") for consideration. The actual text of proposed bills frequently is drafted by legislative aides working either for members of Congress or for congressional committees. Occasionally you will encounter the same piece of legislation being introduced as a companion bill in both Chambers.

The President can propose a bill, and even send Congress a Presidential message urging its enactment into law, but he cannot introduce it. The President usually sends draft legislation to Congress with a letter or other explanatory material discussing his reasons for submitting the legislation. Sometimes the House will order a Presidential bill and its explanatory material to be printed as an official House Document.

Nine Steps to Write a Bill

Step 1 Define the Goal

We want to stop the practice of steamboat racing.

Step 2 Research Existing Law

The Tennessee Code Annotated is a multi-volume series of books containing all of the laws of Tennessee. See the right-hand column for information about using the TCA.

A current law, if any, will affect how we draft our bill. If steamboat racing is already illegal, for example, we might want to make the existing law stricter. As it happens, we don't find an existing law against steamboat racing, so we will draft a bill to make it illegal.

Step 3 Act or Resolution?

An Act creates a new law or modifies an existing law. A Resolution expresses the General Assembly's opinion and doesn't create or modify a law.

We are creating a law against steamboat racing, so we're drafting an Act.

If we wanted to express disapproval of steamboat racing without making it illegal, we would pass a resolution ... A Resolution to Condemn Steamboat Racing.

Step 4 Bill Title (or Caption)

This begins with the words "An Act To" or "A Resolution To" and continues with a brief summary of the bill's contents.

An Act to prohibit steamboat racing on Tennessee rivers and to provide punishment therefor.

Consider the title carefully because it can't be amended after the bill is introduced. If a bill is broader than its caption, it's unconstitutional. If changing an existing law, the title must mention the law being amended.

These requirements are based on the Tennessee Constitution: "No bill shall become a law which embraces more than one subject, that subject to be expressed in the title. All acts which repeal, revive or amend former laws, shall recite in their caption, or otherwise, the title or substance of the law repealed, revived or amended." (Article II, Section 17)

We aren't changing an existing law in our example, so none is mentioned in the title (also known as a caption). We can refer to an existing law by its Code section. If we were amending an existing law, we would add a phrase like this to the title:

Amends TCA 49-3-2001.

Step 5 Preamble | optional

A preamble is optional, but many people like to include them.

The Preamble is the "Whereas" clauses at the beginning of the bill that establish the rationale or context for the bill. A bill can have more than one, but don't get carried away. Sometimes less is more.

WHEREAS, the racing of steamboats on Tennessee rivers imperils the peace, safety and dignity of its citizens, and

WHEREAS, dozens of innocent citizens in recent years have been fearful for their lives because of this nefarious sport, therefore

Step 6 Enacting or Resolving Clause

This is standard language that precedes the body of the bill.

We're writing an act, so the operative word is "Enacted". If it's a resolution, substitute the word "Resolved". It is typed in all capital letters.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE [number] GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE TENNESSEE INTERCOLLEGIATE STATE LEGISLATURE:

Step 7 Body of the Bill

Here is where we get down to business.

The body of the bill is broken into sections, each of which is numbered with Arabic numerals. A section may have more than one paragraph.

A section may have sub-sections, which are lettered. A sub-section may also have more than one paragraph.

Section 1. The captain of any steamboat that engages in a competition with one or more other steamboats to reach a destination shall be guilty of the crime of "Steamboat Racing".

Section 2. The sheriff of any county passed by the racing steamboats may arrest the captains of said steamboats and incarcerate them in the county jail.

Section 3. Upon conviction in a competent Court of law, the judge shall sentence the captain to one of the following punishments as the Court shall deem appropriate:
(a) For the first offense, a Class C misdemeanor.
(b) For the second and subsequent offenses, a Class B misdemeanor
(c) In the alternative, to pick up litter along the riverbank.

Step 8 Effective Date | Acts only; not Resolutions

The final section of the bill tells when it takes effect.

Section 4. This act shall take effect July 1, 2009.

The phrase "the public welfare requiring it" is added if the law takes effect less than 40 days after it's adopted, such as a bill that takes effect immediately.

Here is the relevant provision from the Tennessee Constitution: "No law of a general nature shall take effect until forty days after its passage unless the same or the caption thereof shall state that the public welfare requires that it should take effect sooner." (Article II, Section 20)

Step 9 Sponsors

Each bill must have at least one Senate sponsor and at least one House sponsor. The sponsors may be from different colleges. Multiple sponsors indicate the bill has more support.

Final Result Combining the Pieces

File the Bill Introduce the Bill

Submit the bill to the Secretary of State in electronic form, whether by email, on a CD or on a flash drive.

The Secretary of State's office will automatically format your bill, so perfect formatting for the version you introduce isn't crucial. It's much more important to get the words right.
KFlint, I am politically active in my own part of the world. I vote in my local elections and in the national elections. I read the issues carefully before casting my vote via mail-in ballot. I go to marches and protests when I can and for the issues I find relevant.

Bill writing and proposals for bills are fine. The problem I have is how come all the bills I support get killed? In those dirty, bought out PAC groups in DC? They have those little insider creepy politicians who read a bill that wants the public option on health care in all fifty states and somehow it never makes it far. Either it gets watered down to nothing or it gets killed. I have little remaining faith in the 'system' KFlint. Those politicians whether they have a (D) or the (R) behind their names are a bunch of sell out people who cater to those corporate lobbyists who fund their campaigns. They respond to the special interest groups only if the special interest groups can scratch their political backs. I find them repulsive.

I know what I stand for and I look for the people proposing the changes. They draft the bills and then they get sent off to the correct committee. The leaders on those committees are a bunch of dirtballs KFlint. I wrote about my disgust with the Republicans especially with the thread I made about why Grover Norquist had so much influence in Washington? Then man doesn't even hold any real public office but he is telling entire committees in charge of important issues how to vote and when to vote and refused to say where his funding comes from and who he is batting for in DC. It is highly unethical.

@late Oh my. Were you a lady killer, exciting al[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]