Buy Nothing Day - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Average Voter
(And before the conservatives come in here and say something like "that is stupid I'm going to buy more stuff now!
Funny, I thought it was just me, but I guess other people noticed that as well.

If you don't like the idea of the hyper-consumerist day "Black Friday" I encourage you to promote "Buy Nothing Day" where you can.
Thanks for the information. I may consider it. I think black friday shouldn't even exist.
By VanBuuren
Ad Busters Site

Wiki

This Friday is "Buy Nothing Day", in response to the mass show of consumerism that is "Black Friday". (And before the conservatives come in here and say something like "that is stupid I'm going to buy more stuff now! lol!!! please don't bother).

If you don't like the idea of the hyper-consumerist day "Black Friday" I encourage you to promote "Buy Nothing Day" where you can.

I do this every day!
Call me a serious activist. ;)
By Doctor State
The consumer culture's worst enemy is a fiscal conservative.
By VanBuuren
"Wow, how are you still alive?"

Simple. I'm the basic juvenile parasite. I suck on earth's teat by mooching off others, namely two mysterious entites called father and mother, the namesake of the ancients. They provide me with the human necessities such as cheese poofs and applesauce and thensome, while I subsequently give nothing back. ...And so continues to archaic tradition.
By KurtFF8
But they likely buy the goods that you consume, so you are very much so participating in it.
By Doctor State
But they likely buy the goods that you consume, so you are very much so participating in it.

Actually I think this makes his point stronger. He's right that he doesn't buy anything, so the concept of Buy Nothing day is meaningless not just to him but to others like him. He is able to buy nothing and yet is still just as much an agent in the market as someone who buys their own stuff.

And let's expand this point: people don't just mooch or borrow off others, they also borrow from their own future selves. Whether or not you shop today, your fridge is still one day emptier, and you'll need to replenish that at some point. Also, your sneakers are one day more worn out, and you're one day sicker of your favorite shirt.

Not saying this renders Buy Nothing Day worthless -- other factors do that -- but just that its premise is simplistic considering many people can just live off someone else.
By KurtFF8
Actually I think this makes his point stronger. He's right that he doesn't buy anything, so the concept of Buy Nothing day is meaningless not just to him but to others like him. He is able to buy nothing and yet is still just as much an agent in the market as someone who buys their own stuff.

How so? Buy Nothing Day isn't targeted towards 13 year olds whos parents support them (or older people whos parents support them either) but is targeted towards those who would have bought stuff on black friday, and thus fed into the consumerist day.

It isn't about "well techinally you didn't buy something". If someone else bought the things you consume, you're just as much a part of the consumer culture as anyone who did buy something.
By Doctor State
How so? Buy Nothing Day isn't targeted towards 13 year olds whos parents support them (or older people whos parents support them either) but is targeted towards those who would have bought stuff on black friday, and thus fed into the consumerist day.
My experience with Black Friday is that it is marketed toward college kids. The bulk of Buy Nothing people are probably blond-dreadlocked trustafarians who opt to put off their spending until tomorrow. I suppose the goal would be to eventually expand it past the current Utne Reader crowd and into the mainstream, to which I can only say good luck.
It isn't about "well technically you didn't buy something". If someone else bought the things you consume, you're just as much a part of the consumer culture as anyone who did buy something.
Obviously. Which is why VanBuuren's mockery was appropriate. I don't think he's suggesting he can easily participate in Buy Nothing Day, I think he was poking fun at the flimsiness of the premise when America is entrenches in consumer culture far more intimately than the BND premise suggests.
By KurtFF8
My experience with Black Friday is that it is marketed toward college kids. The bulk of Buy Nothing people are probably blond-dreadlocked trustafarians who opt to put off their spending until tomorrow. I suppose the goal would be to eventually expand it past the current Utne Reader crowd and into the mainstream, to which I can only say good luck.

Black Friday deals are certainly not targeted towards only college kids. Perhaps you meant to say "Buy Nothing Day"?

And even if so, why not raise awareness about consumerism to the upcoming group of workers/consumers? Is that not important?

I don't think he's suggesting he can easily participate in Buy Nothing Day, I think he was poking fun at the flimsiness of the premise when America is entrenches in consumer culture far more intimately than the BND premise suggests.

The point of BND is to be a counter to the ultimate consumerist holiday: Black Friday. It's simply about promoting an alternate message, not any material impact on the economy or anything of that sort.
By Doctor State
Black Friday deals are certainly not targeted towards only college kids. Perhaps you meant to say "Buy Nothing Day"?

Sorry yes. I was thinking at the time about how I've never heard of Buy Nothing Day having anything to do with Black Friday until this thread. In fact I heard of Buy Nothing Day 10 years ago, 5 years before I ever heard of Black Friday.
By Beren
KurtFF8 wrote:If someone else bought the things you consume, you're just as much a part of the consumer culture as anyone who did buy something.

In this case Consume Nothing Day should be promoted actually. Fast is a nice religious tradition anyway. As it was mentioned before, if I don't buy one thing today deliberately, then I will buy it tomorrow or I've bought it yesterday yet.
By KurtFF8
No, that misses the point of Buy Nothing Day, which is to refrain from buying things on Black Friday since people buy too many things on Black Friday.
By Beren
So it is Buy Nothing On Black Friday Day actually? Even more hopeless. :roll:
By Erebus
Buy nothing and spread peace, or what?
By Average Voter
if I don't buy one thing today deliberately, then I will buy it tomorrow or I've bought it yesterday yet.
You could burn your money.
By Doctor State
You could burn your money.

Yes, then it won't harm anybody. In fact that will slightly deflate the money supply, making the rest of us slightly richer.
By danholo
We also have this "buy nothing day" which is called Shabat and has been observed for what, now, 2-3000 years, and occurs every week. People are so enveloped with consumerism they even have to commercialize a "buy nothing day", not to mention love for fathers and mothers. Good luck. :/
By Doctor State
I'm a staunch capitalist. Almost every day is buy nothing day for me. I'm picky about who gets my money.

I'm glad this campaign is helping to teach young liberals how to be more fiscally responsible. Someone's gotta do it.

If enough people stop spending and start saving, the economy will regrow its capital base and recover.
By Monorprise
I generally try to avoid buying things as a matter of practice, it saves money. A penny saved is a penny earned!

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]