Buy Nothing Day - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By KurtFF8
Ad Busters Site

Wiki

This Friday is "Buy Nothing Day", in response to the mass show of consumerism that is "Black Friday". (And before the conservatives come in here and say something like "that is stupid I'm going to buy more stuff now! lol!!! please don't bother).

If you don't like the idea of the hyper-consumerist day "Black Friday" I encourage you to promote "Buy Nothing Day" where you can.
By missy
Hmmm, sorry but I can't partake in 'buy nothing day'. I might not buy anything but I do enjoy going to the store early on Black Friday, just to see what's on sale
By Sephardi
Buy nothing? That's hippie talk! :lol: Anyways hell no. The hell are you on about? Black Friday helps our economy greatly.
By missy
It's the Christmas season which makes or breaks it for many retailers
By KurtFF8
Black Friday helps our economy greatly.

Right, buying things on credit has really shown to produce a stable economy.... :roll:
By Zyx
I wasn't buying anything anyway.

*pulls out pockets to show their emptiness.*
By Sephardi
... People that cant afford it shouldn't buy. Just have to be a smart shopper. Doesn't mean we should force people into a Communist society where nobody buys anything extra and everybody plants potatoes. Did I go too far there?
By missy
I buy things on credit and I pay 100% of my bill at the end of the month.

It is just easier for me to write one check. It is easier to keep track of what you spend that way, too.
By Maxim Litvinov
Even more beneficial for the economy than everyone consuming everything would be people consuming thoughtfully.

... People that cant afford it shouldn't buy.

And everyone should be nice to each other, so then we can just quit wasting money on security.
By Oxymoron
Buy Nothing Day

:lol: That is everyday for me lately :hmm:
By Red Rebel
Good thread on consumers on the S-E. I'll agree with CapitalismAndFreedom in that organizing consumers is "hippie talk." It's damn near impossible to organize them on any day and even if the majority of people don't buy or hell even if NO single person brought anything, this wouldn't bring about any change.
By Dr House
Right, buying things on credit has really shown to produce a stable economy.... :roll:

QFT.

Consumption being universally good for the domestic economy is a Keynesian delusion.
By Abood
Consumption being universally good for the domestic economy is a Keynesian delusion.
Keynesianism is the new Jews.
By Dr House
:lol:
By pikachu
Doesn't mean we should force people into a Communist society where nobody buys anything extra and everybody plants potatoes.
Yes it does. Free potatoes for everyone!

That is everyday for me lately
I am shocked, Oxy, I didn't know you were a crypto-communist.
Money is meant to be spent, when you aren't spending it, money gets sad and depressed. You don't want your economy to feel depressed would you?
By Grunch
The people who celebrate buy nothing day probably aren't the ones engaging in consumerism in the first place. I mean, I understand the logic behind the movement, but I don't have any illusions about the impact of staying out of the stores.

Picking Black Friday isn't a great idea either. There's no way to stop consumerism on the same day people are getting trampled to death at Wal-Mart.
By KurtFF8
Good points indeed, but it isn't just a lifestylist approach at attacking consumerism. If you don't tell most people you know about it, put up flyers, etc. then it is indeed a pretty futile effort. But groups like Ad-Buster (who started Buy Nothing Day I believe) have gone through efforts to actually promote Buy Nothing Day (even had a commercial on CNN one time).
By bp-open
Only one day for anything is worthless, and such radical
solution like nothing, even more.

It's the Christmas season...

The gifts for Christmas are less worth then all the small and
big gifts anybody can share during the year.
In the end of Winter, the same products are cheaper or better in many cases.
The presentee is happy about the gesture of present and
hopefully about the amusement and hospitality.
By Doctor State
I have no opinion about Buy Nothing Day, since it would be a waste of time to bother formulating an opinion about something of no consequence.

People who Buy Nothing on Buy Nothing Day will just do their shopping the day before or the day after.

Would be boring without it though. Yes, the oth[…]

https://twitter.com/alianfromspace/status/17847402[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you think US soldiers would conduct such suici[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 29, Monday Empire’s air training scheme ta[…]