Greece - Net Tv studio stormed - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

A group of people stormed Tuesday noon NET's studio while its news bulletin was on. ERT President and Managing Director Christos Panagopoulos condemned the incidence, stressing that it wasn't students by unknown people who do not respect freedom and democracy, sneaking into the ERT premises.

Link

The youths/students were wearing banners saying : "Stop watch tv, everybody in the streets!"

Video here : Link

Oh well, i wish someday i storm the public tv station as well, but with a more constructive message such as "Surrender now fat cats and your life will be spared!"
By canadiancapitalist
Surrender now fat cats and your life will be spared!

There seems to be ominous undertones of death to most of your posts - perhaps a telling glimpse into the nature of collectivism.
By Dave
WHY IS THIS BEING TOLERATED? What the fuck kind of state is unable to keep order? How are they being cowed by a bunch of unemployed losers?! Get the army out and let the blood run through the streets!
By Potemkin
I'm sure they would like to make the streets run red with the spilt blood of the workers and students, Dave, but unfortunately the Greek government is extremely weak. If they tried to crack down, they would end up like Nepal's King Gyanendra. They're hoping to cling on until the present disturbances simply run out of steam. Of course, if they do not run out of steam, then they're fucked.
By Noelnada
There seems to be ominous undertones of death to most of your posts - perhaps a telling glimpse into the nature of collectivism.

Never heard of self-derision, self-mockery or self-deprecating humor ? :hmm:

WHY IS THIS BEING TOLERATED?

The Greek State is no longer in position to make laws respected. The government don't want to fall either and if they let the army take care of the situation, the government will fall. It's such a ridiculous situation but at least it's a source of hope (false hope probably) for all the wretched of earth and the convicts of hunger.
By Dave
Potemkin wrote:I'm sure they would like to make the streets run red with the spilt blood of the workers and students, Dave, but unfortunately the Greek government is extremely weak. If they tried to crack down, they would end up like Nepal's King Gyanendra. They're hoping to cling on until the present disturbances simply run out of steam. Of course, if they do not run out of steam, then they're fucked.

Pathetic. Of course, that's what happens when the state is one huge patronage operation and can't do anything right.

But just once, could we please get protestors who aren't fucking losers?

Noelnada wrote:The Greek State is no longer in position to make laws respected. The government don't want to fall either and if they let the army take care of the situation, the government will fall. It's such a ridiculous situation but at least it's a source of hope (false hope probably) for all the wretched of earth and the convicts of hunger.

Wretched of the Earth? Convicts of hunger? We're talking about Greece here. The only wretchedness here are people who are too wretched in character to bother finding a real job.
By Noelnada
Wretched of the Earth? Convicts of hunger? We're talking about Greece here. The only wretchedness here are people who are too wretched in character to bother finding a real job.

I'm not talking about Greek people, i'm talking about the hordes of hungry people living in the south. But about finding real jobs, are you really sure there are enough for everyone in Greece ? I honestly doubt so. All the graduated who can afford to leave the country to get a job do so.
By Dave
Enough good jobs? No, of course not, since our states no longer bother operating economic policies designed to foster full employment. But really, if you get your ass out there, you can always find some kind of work. Hell, peddle shit on a street corner. Make something of yourself!

And the hordes of hungry people in the global south? What does this have to do with them? If I were some desperately poor person in the third world I would imagine that I'd be furious at seeing a bunch of spoiled crybabies rioting in a prosperous country like Greece.
By Potemkin
Pathetic. Of course, that's what happens when the state is one huge patronage operation and can't do anything right.

Agreed. It's almost as bad as Italy.

But just once, could we please get protestors who aren't fucking losers?

I'm inclined to agree with you. The Russian workers of 1917 would have dragged the Greek government ministers out of their plush offices by now and hanged them from the nearest lamp posts. They don't make rioting crowds like they used to. :(
By Dave
Potemkin wrote:Agreed. It's almost as bad as Italy.

Italy at least provides good entertainment. Who doesn't love Burlesconi's antics? :lol:
By Potemkin
Good point. :lol:
By Noelnada
And the hordes of hungry people in the global south? What does this have to do with them?

There are a shitload of people in Greece who make a direct relation between the relative prosperity of the west and the relative poverty of the south. Of course, i agree that burning cars and smashing windows won't bring anything on the table of the Somalian or Ethiopian, on the contrary.

Who doesn't love Burlesconi's antics?

I lol'd @ his joke on "The new US president has a good sun tan"
By Dave
Noelnada wrote:There are a shitload of people in Greece who make a direct relation between the relative prosperity of the west and the relative poverty of the south. Of course, i agree that burning cars and smashing windows won't bring anything on the table of the Somalian or Ethiopian, on the contrary.

Just goes to prove my point how stupid these people are.
By Noelnada
Just goes to prove my point how stupid these people are.

I wouldn't say they are stupid, i would say they are irrational, hopelessly trying to do something.
By Potemkin
I wouldn't say they are stupid, i would say they are irrational, hopelessly trying to do something.

Attempting to do something with the knowledge that one's chosen methods are bound to fail is indeed, as Dave pointed out, stupid. Lenin was not stupid, and he only used methods which he knew would work.
Last edited by Potemkin on 16 Dec 2008 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
By noemon
Dave wrote:But just once, could we please get protestors who aren't fucking losers?

Listen, Greece historically has had an anarchist sub-culture. These guys were allowed to exist for the sake of democracy during Greece's transition in the 70's as a reactionary mechanism, protesting has been highly encouraged, as well as vindicated with the asylum laws, that prevented the state from entering uni's, which was put in the constitution after the dictatorship killed some protesters by storming the Athens Polytechnic. There is no Greek person alive that has not protested for something during his lifetime. It is part of the psyche, if you will.

Anarchists and various idiots in general were usually hijacking protests, and turning them into riots, whose steam always run out after a day.

However what we are witnessing now, is far different and involves a different kind of people as well, after the latest series of scandals, the media had severely radicalized the populus. To understand this, try to imagine a scandal being headlines in all TV stations and newspapers for 4 months in a row, naming people after people after people, taking down the governments slim majority of 15 members of the parliament, down to 1 at the present moment. Add to this, not the lack of employment per se(it was throughout 2007 until these days which turned into 7.5, at 6.7 which corresponds to 200,000 unemployed people in total throughout all of Greece, a very marginal number, that is not even 1/10 of the people on the streets the past week), but the nature of employment. Greek workforce approaches 30% of uni enrollment(with Greece figuring 8th in the world for tertiary enrollment as per the Economist Intelligence Unit for 2007), and more than half of this particular workforce, is away from its field into various irrelevancies, add to this the recession which has decimated the available income of this workforce, and you got a youth, that is angry, discontent and galvanized to externalize its discontent to protesting, fed up with a scandalous behavior, add to this the whole-hearty Greek narrative that exists decades now which is largely and extremely pro-protesting, and when i say this, you simply cannot fathom it.

One example was that lately during the riots a police-man trying to protect himself from molotov bombs, drew his gun and fired several shots on the air. This turned into the media, both right-wing and left-wing as "WOW, how could he?", people could not believe it, it was so outlandish, such a disrespect by the authorities, all the journalists wrote. You can imagine from this incident what sort of atmosphere exists in Greece regarding "human rights" and such. It is very hard to describe.

Now as i said in another thread, the government cannot use force, because she will be crucified inside this atmosphere.

What has been going on now, is not just the 500-1000 anarchists that used to hijack protests. It is a general thing going down, with all students, uni or otherwise at the spearhead, the children of the Greek people, not immigrants, but all schools are closed and on the streets, luckily without rioting the past 3 days as the anarchists steam has run out, but not the others. If one of these others is injured, the gov. has said bye bye for the next 2 decades.

And also keep in mind, that after all these riots, and all this destruction caused by protesting which was being hijacked by these anarchists assholes, the protesters now feel that the gov will not grant their demands because of the havoc caused by the riots, and the only solution for them is either to abandon their demands, which would spell out all these efforts as having vanished, or accelerate them and turn the situation worse, until one "triumph" is achieved. That was the point of today's message on national television.

The government should give a certain triumph to all this protesting, because that is the only way that all these non-anarchists who have joined the havoc are going to go back to their normal lives.

There is no other venue. And at this point all these people, who like todays television incident showed, were not anarchists but ordinary university students, who will not let go until they get something, even the littlest thing.

From a tax-reduction to those making up to 20.000 a year, or a subsidy for heating gas, which the current government removed a couple of years, ago. Seriously, anything will do to satisfy a very angry crowd, that is no longer consisted of anarchists and other marginal elements of society, but is consisted by a very large crowd.

----------------

Now to talk about the incident:

A group of 20 people, holding the message above, entered into the national television building, as guests, and they entered one by one, not as a team. And when the PM was announcing whatever it was he was announcing in the parliament, they went inside the studio, got control of the control panel, before police arrives, sent their message on top of the PM's speech and then walked out. No injuries or arrests reported.
By Potemkin
Now to talk about the incident:

A group of 20 people, holding the message above, entered into the national television building, as guests, and they entered one by one, not as a team. And when the PM was announcing whatever it was he was announcing in the parliament, they went inside the studio, got control of the control panel, before police arrives, sent their message on top of the PM's speech and then walked out. No injuries or arrests reported.

That really shows how weak the Greek government is right now. If protestors had tried that stunt in Britain, they would have all been arrested, and probably whacked around the head by the police into the bargain. The Greek government is shit-scared of the protestors.
By noemon
She is terrified, mate. The least the gov. needs at the moment is the arrest or the injury of a youngster and parents on telly, shouting for victims of the police-state. Greek media are so overtly dramatic, you can't believe. They dont just report news, they narrate news with an astounding pro-left bias.

Lazopoulos, a political satirist(with the highest ratings) of the left(member of Syriza atm), today in his weekly show, was still arguing that all this is vindicated due to the death of the kid by the fascist police. Amazing. He made heroes out of the youths occupying the national television panel earlier today.

And this is not just mainstream TV of Alpha channel(the second biggest channel, .ie ITV), this is a show with the highest ratings.
By Potemkin
Yeah, the Colonels' junta casts a long shadow in Greece. Greece today is probably a good example of what Britain would have been like by now if the right-wing coup plot by those MI5 goons in the early 70s had actually gone ahead.
By noemon
Yeah, the Colonels' junta casts a long shadow in Greece.

All you hear on telly, is the Athens Polytechnic incident. The blood of the martyrs against fascism and echoes from the twilight zone. Astonishing.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]