3d Printers and Libertarianism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I've always been fascinated by 3d printer technology, and am greatly looking forward to the day when it becomes more commercially feasible.

For those of you who don't know, a 3d printer creates objects by "printing" layer after layer of a material on top of itself, creating three-dimensional objects of value.

Common 3d printers include plastic-like materials (mostly used for making toys, plates, silverware, but also for some clothing) and styrofoam materials.

What this will mean is that middle class (maybe just upper middle class) people will be able to have their own miniature factory in their home for producing many household items, and lower class communities in developed countries will likely have shared 3d printer facilities.

I love some of the concepts behind Libertarianism even though I usually don't find them feasible in practice, but 3d printer technology promises to give the means of production to the worker/consumer as one entity (sounds communist, I know) which in turn would greatly reduce the need for industrial regulations upon companies because people will no longer be bound to those companies. Without people having the extort to others through political economics, thereby owning their ability to produce wealth, the free market can likely function better in an unfettered environment than it has in recent history.

Any thoughts?
they were produced on a free market, just saying. :D

actually whats also interesting is that there are designs for lab equipment like centerfuges that you can attach to power drills and work just as well as the normal ones. people have actually started doing biotechnology tinkering in their garage.

http://diybio.org/

the do it yourself biology organizations website.

they are now working on materials that can have different properties depending on what frequency of laser in the printer is used.

once its established manufacturers will start focusing on higher end products that the printer cant make and the manufacturing most simple items will consist of an internet download.

technology grows on an exponential scale so i have high hopes for what technology can bring us in the future.

the printers still wont give you cars or food so not all production will go to consumers, but a lot of crap wont be scarce anymore.

which in turn would greatly reduce the need for industrial regulations upon companies because people will no longer be bound to those companies. Without people having the extort to others through political economics, thereby owning their ability to produce wealth, the free market can likely function better in an unfettered environment than it has in recent history.

this just creates another market and i think it would work well as it is now with no regulations, but this will certainly make it impossible for manufacturers to sell of cheap junk.

i doubt that many quarters would ever be willing to let old regulations go, laws never do get repealed.

i just cant wait till i can get those neural implants ive been eyeing. :D :borg:
I don't think 3D printers will be that much of a revolution. Households today are already able to buy capital to produce goods. Think for example sewing machines. Not so expensive to buy. So households could, if they wanted to, by a sewing machine and make their own clothes. However, not many people do that. This is because specialized firms have a competitive advantage in producing clothes. They can produce cheaper and better looking clothes. So households don't bother with sewing and just buy clothes from firms.

So even if 3D printers become affordable, they wouldn't revolutionize production. I think for some small, easy and fast production, people may use 3D printers. But for anything more complicated, people will continue to buy stuff from firms.
3d printers dont need any special skill's to operate, you just hit the download and print buttons and you can make whatever the printer is capable of producing. as it is now thats limited but technology always develops.
I just want to be able to make my own styrofoam plates :) I'm a bachelor and I hate doing dishes. I get myself some styrofoam plates for about 10 cents a plate and throw them out with the scraps after each meal. It's worth 10 cents to me to not have to do dishes. But if I had a 3d printer, I could make my own plates and also small plates and bowls, ideally for less! [/daydream]

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]