left vs right libertarianism - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Encyclopedia of Marxism wrote:Price is the actuality of value.

Value is the substratum (or Essence), which is realised when something is sold as its price.

This is nonsense (imo). Price is what is being given up to obtain something. In money transaction, price designate the quantity of money given up to obtain something.

Price is clearly distinct from the quantity of human labour. It is no more and no less than what somebody was willing to pay for the item (and what, at the same time, somebody else was willing to give the item up for). Value is subjective, and cannot be quantified.

In a voluntary transaction, the price paid by the buyer must be lower than the value of the item for the buyer, just as it must be higher than the value of the item to the seller. The two values must be different - another proof that value cannot be objectively determined.
Sceptic wrote:Do you determine the price tag of the art by the value of the labour embodied in the painting, or by estimations of optimal profit margins, determined by the collective marginal utility preferences of each customer?

Strictly cost-plus in my case, and for most 2d artists whom I have discussed pricing with. Trying to divine "optimal profit margins" is entirely an exercise in futility. The only realistic, practical approach is to figure out what it costs you to make, then tack on a margin to bring the price up to a price point you think customers won't balk at. I don't know any successful 2d artists who use a method other than that.

I'm not an artist but my father is: I also happen to be a musician. I don't think the value of any composition is objective.

I don't think music is really equivalent to physical artwork; no one buys music as part of a home renovation, for example, or as part of a way to increase the potential value of property. Lots of people buy wall art for specific rooms, though, and many do so with the goal of improving the perception that buyers might have. In this sense, physical artwork has an inherently more objective utility than music.

Or undervalue the market price of their labour?

No, I mean actually undervalue their labor. As in, they spend more to make art than they charge the customer for it. It's really, really easy to fall into that trap if you're not acutely aware of your marketing costs (including the value of one's own time)--which new artists rarely appreciate fully. Cost-plus pricing and a labor-theory approach makes it much easier to avoid this problem.

Also, from the perspective of a musician, I would always start out cheap, if not free before I am fully recognised and more experienced to sell something that will, generally speaking, be valued more highly.

Which is a pretty bad approach for 2d artists--the artwork is perceived as much by its price as by its subjective qualities. If you sell cheap artwork, that's typically all you'll ever end up selling. Some people can make a living at that, but it's better to focus your efforts on creating products that people will pay substantial amounts of money for. Selling artwork is a very strange experience, and rarely operates according to a rational basis. I highly encourage every economist to give it a try. They'll learn a lot about why their models are wrong. For example; it's entirely possible that your volume of sales will decrease when you drop your prices. I strongly attribute this to my own theory that people take hints about the quality of artwork from the price charged for it; that if someone is undervaluing their artwork, potential customers will wonder why, and if they are not critics of art in their own right, they may well come to the opinion that it is bad on that basis alone. It was quite strange to note that increasing my prices increased my sales volume. Very counter-intuitive from an economics standpoint.

That's a misunderstanding of marginal utility.

That's not a theoretical statement about marginal utility; that's a statement of fact relating to my own experience doing this. If people don't like your art, it doesn't matter how low you drop the price. If people do like the art, they will buy it if your price falls within the limits they've set for spending. They are not likely to buy more if your prices are lower; nor will halving the price encourage them to buy two of the same piece. It's a surprisingly binary response.

For example, I value apples more than £1 but less than £1.01, hence I would be willing to part with no more than £1.

The producer values apples less than 50p but more than 49 p, hence he would be willing to part with his apple for no less than 50p.

Yeah, that's originally how I viewed it too. In real life, art pricing doesn't work like that. You can pretty much set whatever prices you want. It doesn't really matter if your prices are twice what the pieces next to yours costs; you are no less likely to make the sale. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that you are more likely to sell the most expensive piece as you are the least expensive. I would propose that this is the case because most art buyers don't really know what they're looking for or how to value the work they're looking at; and they therefore take their cues about desirability from the price the artist or gallery sets. In other words, the art market may simply be subject to an extreme informational symmetry between the artist and the buyer. To put it more simply, apples are not artwork, and comparing the two is utterly pointless. So is repeating economics 101 theory to someone who's taken the course and has observed first hand that it doesn't work that way in this particular case.

If a person is willing to set down $500 on a painting, they're almost always just as willing to pay $700 or $800. It's not at all a rational response like economists would predict. Like I said, economists really ought to give it a try for a year. It's extremely informative about the limits and failings of conventional economic thought.

The introduction of other producers and consumers complicates matters, because then you have competition between producers and consumers, and this distorts the pricing mechanism. However the principle is still roughly the same, I can illustrate this if needed.

I would point out that the competition mechanism makes very little sense when it comes to 2d art. If someone likes my style, but not the style of another artist in the same show, we are not competing with each other for that customer. In this sense, art is unlike almost anything else because each artist typically has a very unique approach to their work... which will appeal to some buyers but not others, and hence there is no (or rather, very little) competition between them.

I believe Daktoria is referring to the fact that left-libertarians would put an 'objective' tag on everything based on LTV and this would not account for the individual preferences of buyers and consumers alike. In a way, you would be objectifying the diversity of values, something that is essentially human.

I don't think it really makes much sense to price things according to the preferences of buyers. The whole purpose of paying for goods is to convince the producer/seller to bother to produce or sell the goods. Hence the producer/seller's preferences should be paramount. While certainly the producer might revise downward his expectations if no one agrees with him, it should still be his own preference that matters most.
Kman wrote:Oh look, a commie that doesnt understand what sets the price of things, color me shocked.

If that was the case, I would not have been successful at business.

An artist doesnt know what people will pay for his stuff since fashions change and his particular style might go out of fashion leading to a collapse in the price he can get for his work.

It doesn't really work that way for normal artists, though it might for very high profile artists or fashion designers or whatever. Normal artists will just adjust as required to continue to meet changing expectations. It's not like these things change everywhere overnight; there's time to adjust to changing consumer demands. It's not like your sales volume will collapse within a year. Though again, perhaps things are different for the artists peddling multi-million-dollar artwork.
Someone5 wrote:If that was the case, I would not have been successful at business.

Just because you have managed to sell some items and earn money from it does not mean you understand economics, plenty of people use Amazon to sell their stuff but that doesnt make them economists.
Kman wrote:Just because you have managed to sell some items and earn money from it does not mean you understand economics,

I didn't imply that it was evidence of a complete understanding of economics. It does, however, indicate a good understanding of prices and how to set them.

plenty of people use Amazon to sell their stuff but that doesnt make them economists.

It does make them relevant experts on pricing things if they're routinely successful at it, however. You suggested I didn't know how to price things, not that I wasn't an economist. Don't shift the goalposts.
Someone5 wrote:You suggested I didn't know how to price things, not that I wasn't an economist. Don't shift the goalposts.

No I said you didnt understand why things had a certain price.

The truth is that whether or not you can sell something has absolutely nothing to do with how much labor you put into your product.
Someone5 wrote:Actually, it's more about accurate calculation of labor value being the only way you're likely to actually make money making art. It's not even remotely about "the customer appreciating the struggle", it's about determining what you have to charge for a piece in order to be able to afford to continue making pieces. Art is usually very labor intensive, and newbie artists tend to dramatically undercalculate and undervalue their labor. Selling art from a subjective valuation standpoint is incredibly hard; changes in price do not seem to have a direct relationship to volume sold. People will only buy it if they like it, but if they like it they're generally just as willing to pay $200 as they are $100. I mean, huge shifts can drive buyers away, but even two and three hundred percent changes in price don't seem to matter very much.

It's a very odd business, and you'll get eaten alive if you're not extremely aware of your own labor costs (in both producing and selling your art). Art may be subjective, but selling art is not.

This seems technocratic, not artistic. It's like you're saying the only way an artist can be successful is from calculating profitable attention economy to achieve subliminal messaging.

I agree in that is how art is successful, but that's not how art is composed. Art is composed from emotional expression, not from thoughtful calculation.

If art is calculated, that would make it a very miserable product since calculation destroys spontaneous interpretation. It would lead to a dominance of kitsch over masterpieces for the sake of pop culture. It would also lead to snobbery where folk culture is chastised for being ugly compared to avant-garde.

Again, you seem to be talking about people other than left-libertarians.

No, I think you just proved my point. Left-libertarians would use math for the wrong purposes by applying it to the art market. Math is not meant for consumption. It's meant for investment.

When math is applied to consumption, it destroys taste. Numbers are not stimulating.
Daktoria wrote:This seems technocratic, not artistic. It's like you're saying the only way an artist can be successful is from calculating profitable attention economy to achieve subliminal messaging.

Being a successful artist is as much being a businessperson as it is being an artist. There are, of course, some outliers--either people with truly amazing talent/skill, or people who just happen to stumble upon a profitable niche--but in most cases if you like making art for sale you need to be a decent businessperson too. Yes, it is technocratic, not artistic. You need to be good at analytics and emotion both.

I agree in that is how art is successful, but that's not how art is composed. Art is composed from emotional expression, not from thoughtful calculation.

It depends on what the artist's goal is. I do highly technical art photography; my art is extremely carefully considered. It's not spontaneously emotional--my artwork is strictly in line with my own rules for composition and with an eye towards marketability. It's one of the reasons I don't like taking pictures of people--faces are too emotionally iffy.

If art is calculated, that would make it a very miserable product since calculation destroys spontaneous interpretation. It would lead to a dominance of kitsch over masterpieces for the sake of pop culture.

I'll use my own work in this case; my particular style is extremely technically demanding. It is appreciable in that sense. There is plenty of room for many different types of art, from many different perspectives. My coldly calculated artwork is no less valuable or no less art than someone else's emotionally spontaneous work. You're right that I probably wouldn't make some emotionally compelling masterpiece... but on the other hand my normal product is of substantially higher technical quality than most.

Just as there are musicians who emphasize technical competence over emotional complexity, there are other artists who do the same in different media. This is no less appreciable, even if it may not be quite as approachable.

In both cases, the artist needs to be a good businessperson to be successful. Even if their frame of mind while doing their art is different, when it comes to sales they need to be very calculating. It's very easy to lose track of costs and lose money as a result of selling art.

No, I think you just proved my point. Left-libertarians would use math for the wrong purposes by applying it to the art market. Math is not meant for consumption. It's meant for investment.

Math is universally useful.

When math is applied to consumption, it destroys taste. Numbers are not stimulating.

Except when it turns out that you can mathematically describe good taste, and use that description to intentionally create works of art people are more likely to find compelling.
Someone5 wrote:If a person is willing to set down $500 on a painting, they're almost always just as willing to pay $700 or $800. It's not at all a rational response like economists would predict. Like I said, economists really ought to give it a try for a year. It's extremely informative about the limits and failings of conventional economic thought.

Indeed, I agree with you absolutely on this, art is really an exception to almost every rule in the book. Once someone decides they want something, especially if there's only one of that thing, they will allow the price to sneak upwards by a considerable amount.

Kman wrote:The truth is that whether or not you can sell something has absolutely nothing to do with how much labor you put into your product.

This is also true though, that the labour is not what is causing it to sell, it is that fact that the onlooker finds it pleasing to look at, or that the onlooker understands the process you went through to make it and happens to love the process.

It may also be that more intense labour happens to produce results that are more pleasing, most of the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the price it sells at is directly connected to the labour involved; it means that it took more labour to produce something that looked fantastic enough to receive a bid (or an outright acceptance of the high price you set) at that high an offer.

It's a subtle difference.
Someone5 wrote:Being a successful artist is as much being a businessperson as it is being an artist. There are, of course, some outliers--either people with truly amazing talent/skill, or people who just happen to stumble upon a profitable niche--but in most cases if you like making art for sale you need to be a decent businessperson too. Yes, it is technocratic, not artistic. You need to be good at analytics and emotion both.

It depends on what the artist's goal is. I do highly technical art photography; my art is extremely carefully considered. It's not spontaneously emotional--my artwork is strictly in line with my own rules for composition and with an eye towards marketability. It's one of the reasons I don't like taking pictures of people--faces are too emotionally iffy.

I'll use my own work in this case; my particular style is extremely technically demanding. It is appreciable in that sense. There is plenty of room for many different types of art, from many different perspectives. My coldly calculated artwork is no less valuable or no less art than someone else's emotionally spontaneous work. You're right that I probably wouldn't make some emotionally compelling masterpiece... but on the other hand my normal product is of substantially higher technical quality than most.

Just as there are musicians who emphasize technical competence over emotional complexity, there are other artists who do the same in different media. This is no less appreciable, even if it may not be quite as approachable.

In both cases, the artist needs to be a good businessperson to be successful. Even if their frame of mind while doing their art is different, when it comes to sales they need to be very calculating. It's very easy to lose track of costs and lose money as a result of selling art.

I agree. Technical art can be successful because it allows for multiple interpretations, so you easily get many buyers.

The problem is technical art professionalizes the personal. It convinces people that only the highly skilled should participate.

Participation is half of art though. The process of realizing what you want to express completes the experience. Otherwise, we're just living through others' creations. That breeds vanity where people identify with the artist without knowing what it took to create.

The lack of narrative leaves you with nostalgia. You feel addicted to the piece because you're always left wondering how it was made.

Math is universally useful.

Except when it turns out that you can mathematically describe good taste, and use that description to intentionally create works of art people are more likely to find compelling.

I'm a pianist, so believe me, I understand what you're saying about math in terms of rhythm, melody, harmony, and whatnot.

If I applied math when playing gigs though, it wouldn't feel as spontaneous. Applying math when listening for fun wouldn't be enjoyable either.

That said, there are times where I just play a chord progression and flippantly jam a blues scale to fill time. People like it, but it's not real. I feel like I'm running a computer program, and for some reason, people are still happy.

Some people think that's all music is though. Composition through computation.

It's times like that when I stop playing. When everything feels fake, the best sound of all is silence. Intuition needs to recover. Otherwise, I feel like an architect.
This is a pretty good thread. Daktoria, if it will put your heart at ease, I will offer two reasons for why people are still happy even if you just play idly and create something formulaic.

• Some things are 'objectively beautiful', in that they will sound good and correct to a human no matter what feeling you do or do not put behind them.

• Music will always be something that is 'owned' as much in the mind of the listener as in the one doing the playing. This is why - for a great example since I've already invoked it - the video game music composers from yesteryear never die, because if they are a product of the culture they emerged from and their sound is recycled again and again, it never dies, it is simply shunted from one place to another, and one day someone will sample it in a dubstep track in an attempt to invoke that memory and it will have an affect on those who remembered.

The reason people 'still seem to like it', is because they've created an association between certain sounds, and certain feelings, in their own experiences as a group of people.

This happens within genres too, there are whole genres of music that I listen to, that others would not 'get', because they lack the experience that the genre was built atop, and so lack the ability to decipher what the sound is supposed to feel like. What that also means though, is that an artist can also get away with being formulaic, because it still 'makes sense' regardless. In fact, or another example, it would be impossible to have any such thing as a popular 'genre' without some level of predictability.
Rei Murasame wrote:This is a pretty good thread. Daktoria, if it will put your heart at ease, I will offer two reasons for why people are still happy even if you just play idly and create something formulaic.

Some things are 'objectively beautiful', in that they will sound good and correct to a human no matter what feeling you do or do not put behind them.

Music will always be something that is 'owned' as much in the mind of the listener as in the one doing the playing. This is why - for a great example since I've already invoked it - the video game music composers from yesteryear never die, because if they are a product of the culture they emerged from and their sound is recycled again and again, it never dies, it is simply shunted from one place to another, and one day someone will sample it in a dubstep track in an attempt to invoke that memory and it will have an affect on those who remembered.

If I didn't know better, I'd call you a regular Kantian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critique_of_Judgment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Ends

Rei Murasame wrote:The reason people 'still seem to like it', is because they've created an association between certain sounds, and certain feelings, in their own experiences as a group of people.

This happens within genres too, there are whole genres of music that I listen to, that others would not 'get', because they lack the experience that the genre was built atop, and so lack the ability to decipher what the sound is supposed to feel like. What that also means though, is that an artist can also get away with being formulaic, because it still 'makes sense' regardless. In fact, or another example, it would be impossible to have any such thing as a popular 'genre' without some level of predictability.

I know, Rei. Believe me, you have no idea how badly I know.

That's why I hate it. There's nothing more lonely than architecting other people to anticipate over, and over, and over, and over...
Someone5 wrote:If a person is willing to set down $500 on a painting, they're almost always just as willing to pay $700 or $800. It's not at all a rational response like economists would predict. Like I said, economists really ought to give it a try for a year. It's extremely informative about the limits and failings of conventional economic thought.

In that case, whoever sells the painting for $500 is a real idiot, wouldn't you say?

@Tainari88 What’s your take on tbose who are cy[…]

Gotta be desperate if you're making words up as yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Finland has provided Ukraine with experimental a[…]

And now Israeli , and Jewish anti-war dissidents a[…]