British Libertarianism - An Interim Position - Land Tax - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:It sounds like you're proposing the same rate per acre over the entire country. So a hill farmer in Northumberland pays the same for his 300 acres as the Duke of Westminster for his in central London, although the value of the London land is far greater, due to the development done by others right next to it. If that is what you propose, then it wouldn't work.

taxizen wrote:I do think the rate should be proportional to land quantity rather than the market value.

And here I thought you had said something sensible....

Silly me.
The market value is changable, subjective,

Market value is not subjective because it requires the input of at least two independent minds, as already proved many times.
it makes determining the rate difficult, complicated and whimsical and therefore expensive, prone to error and abuse.

False. There is an issue with transition, with rates rising while value is falling, but that is easily addressed with computerized real-time updates of rental value.
Moreover the astronomical values assigned to land in London is the consequence of very artificial land scarcity that the land tax is meant to address.

And would, if it recovered the publicly created value of the land.
The land tax will open up the vast amounts of land to the market which will demolish the artificially high values in London and other urban densities.

A consummation devoutly to be wished.
What the Duke of Westminster gains in cheaper taxes he will lose in the market value of his property in London.

You clearly have no concept of land value.
Note this will greatly help the working poor in London who will have opportunity to become small land owners in London or elsewhere.

Actual LVT would do this, your system would not.

Did you get confused by the use of a double negat[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

I was just watching a hilarious Netflix documentar[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Potemkin Carthage: They were rich barbarians,[…]

That's what bankruptcy is for. What happens now[…]