Why libertarians should work on universal healthcare - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Someone5, I'll reiterate in case you didn't understand the linked article. "Markets" don't literally do anything. There is no market. It is not a "thing".

Let me be clear about what I am not denying. I am not denying that economic goods are by definition scarce and that at any given time we must settle for less of them than we want. I am also not denying that the marketplace is relevant in determining who gets how much of those scarce goods.

I am denying that this is appropriately called “rationing.”

To see that the market does not ration one need only see that “the market” doesn’t do anything. To talk as if it does things is to reify the market—worse, it is to anthropomorphize the market, ascribing to it attributes — purposes, plans, and actions—that only human beings possess.

[The market] has no purposes or objectives. It is simply a legal framework in which people do things with their justly acquired property and their time in order to pursue their own purposes.

I would recommend digesting the entire article (here), because to speak of "the market" acting, or allocating, or rationing, is to commit a category error.
Soixante-Retard wrote:Someone5, I'll reiterate in case you didn't understand the linked article. "Markets" don't literally do anything. There is no market. It is not a "thing".

"The government doesn't actually do anything. There is no government. It is not a 'thing.' There are only individuals working towards similar goals."

Any human collective activity can be reduced to individual activity if you want to be absurd enough. If we really want to get down to business, we can also point out that people do not exist, because they are nothing but individual atoms chemically bonded to other atoms. For that matter, atoms don't exist either, because they are nothing but individual particles clumped together by the four fundamental forces... Then again, those particles might not actually exist, so if we really want to be specific, nothing might exist at all.

Laying aside the absurd reductionism, markets "exist" as an organizing principle that motivates collective behavior. The same, incidentally, is true of governments. If markets can't ration because they don't exist, then governments also can't ration because they also do not exist--there are only individuals working towards similar goals. By this token, we cannot actually say that rationing exists at all, because it is nothing more than individuals choosing not to exchange goods.

We can talk about a motivational principle as a thing when it results in systems and predictable behavior among its adherents. Your whole argument here, by the way, is a bit of sophistry reliant on limitations of the English language. The language we're using to discuss this does not make a distinction between a noun existing in the abstract and a noun that exists in the concrete. Markets, like governments, exist in the abstract. Their only concrete expression comes from individuals acting according to the dictates of said abstract concept. Of course, when you get massive systems and networks of individuals who are adhering to a common concept, it's sensible to reasonably discuss that concept as a "thing" (where the noun refers to both the concept and to the actual systems of individuals that implement it).

But then, the author knew that ahead of time, which is why he made the sham argument. If we actually had to adhere to this bizarre perspective, we would also be unable to discuss things like philosophies and religions, because those too are not concrete things, despite having a massive influence over the concrete circumstances of human existence. As much as I am loathe to point this out, arguing that markets do not exist because they are not concrete is effectively the same as arguing that thought does not exist because it is not a concrete thing.

Of course, if I really wanted to be a dick, I could point out that the author is factually incorrect because markets are ideas that concretely exist within human brains as electrochemical signals. Oops.

Let me be clear about what I am not denying. I am not denying that economic goods are by definition scarce and that at any given time we must settle for less of them than we want. I am also not denying that the marketplace is relevant in determining who gets how much of those scarce goods.

I am denying that this is appropriately called “rationing.”

It's rationing by the only sensible definition of the word. The rationing occurs because you are exchanging the concrete acquisition of one good for the potential acquisition of another.

To see that the market does not ration one need only see that “the market” doesn’t do anything. To talk as if it does things is to reify the market—worse, it is to anthropomorphize the market, ascribing to it attributes — purposes, plans, and actions—that only human beings possess.

See the third and fourth paragraphs of my response as to why it is not reification to discuss markets as a thing.

[The market] has no purposes or objectives. It is simply a legal framework in which people do things with their justly acquired property and their time in order to pursue their own purposes.
[/quote]

The market as a principle guides people towards certain patterns of collective behavior; in this sense, it can be ascribed goals and purposes. Systems can have goals and purposes without having agency--meaning the ability to make a conscious choice, or to consider what they are doing. Goals, purposes, objectives... none of these things require agency. I can write a piece of software that will do something without having any capacity to make a choice about it. For that matter, I can write a program that will assess its situation to plan a course of behavior in advance. That doesn't require agency either. Indeed, all of this can be done by way of very determinate algorithms (condition x is met, therefore output y). Said program can even delegate tasks and organize behavior among other programs--or even between itself and physical machines it is able to control.

That software is no more existent in a computer than the idea of a market is existent in the brain of a human being (that is to say that both exist as signals); and indeed the market has no more agency than a program does. However, both software programs and motivating principles like markets can actually have goals and purposes--and the ability to translate those goals and purposes into actual action. Programs do so by way of electromechanical systems, motivating principles do so through the actions of their adherents. We can talk about markets existing in precisely the same way that we can talk about programs existing; because both exist as concepts that guide concrete actions in predictable and prescriptive ways. Indeed, both actually concretely exist as stored data in either a computer or in a brain.

Make no mistake here; markets guide people to act because people exercise their agency and let the principle of markets inform their behavior. People willingly choose to do what the principle of a market suggests they ought to do. Without a doubt, concepts like markets, governments, religions, philosophical systems... all of these things do actually exist, because they are made manifest by the actions of their adherents.

If you want to start discussing this matter if more definite language (markets-in-the-abstract rather than simply "markets"), I'm up for doing so, but that has a tendency to become tedious (which is why people simply refer to a concept as a real thing). Natural languages are not well suited to discussing philosophical issues, requiring some ugly jargon.
Someone5 wrote:"The government doesn't actually do anything. There is no government. It is not a 'thing.' There are only individuals working towards similar goals."
Are you converting to methodological individualism? If so, bravo. That is the first step.
I am still waiting for a libertarian to offer a factually based reason to not have universal health care. Speicifically a government single payer system.
Drlee wrote:I am still waiting for a libertarian to offer a factually based reason to not have universal health care. Speicifically a government single payer system.

A single payer system will, ceteris paribus, increase the budget deficit and thus add to the debt. This doesn't say whether it is desirable or undesirable for this reason alone. Some people want a bigger budget deficit, while others do not.

A market-based form of healthcare such as Obamacare is, in my opinion, superior to a single-payer system.
A single payer system will, ceteris paribus, increase the budget deficit and thus add to the debt. This doesn't say whether it is desirable or undesirable for this reason alone. Some people want a bigger budget deficit, while others do not.

Not necessarily. It could retire debt. It all depends on the taxes you pass to support it. And by the way, universal single payer care would reduce the real cost of Medicare by sharing the expenses with much younger and healthier people.

And a single payer system can be market based.
Instead, I would rather give a single tax credit (or minimum income) to everyone who can then decide whether to spend that money of healthcare cover or, equally importantly, not to spend it on healthcare cover but other things.

If you are interested Drlee, Friedrich Hayek would have supported Obamacare (at least, according to Erik Angner - and I agree).
mikema63 wrote:1) actually getting a free market in healthcare isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Very much agree, but I think there needs to be a compromise of a public option everyone pays into, but the program is voluntary otherwise. There should be private options as well

2) even if we got a few free market reforms in anything we do manage will likely be undone and wont ever completly fix the problem.

Yes I agree. Especially if you don't remove privileges of big pharma and insurance companies

3) at this point a universal healthcare system in the US is likely to come at some point in the future.
Yes it probably will. But I will continue to fight for private options!

4) even if it didn't the current system is arguably worse in many ways than universal healthcare.

YES YES YES

5) if libertarians and Austrians were able to effect or even build a system it would likely be much more reliable than if we weren't involved.

Sounds like a sound, strategic way of getting more libertarians into public office
Unlike many purists, I like that

And finally, if we don't get ourselves into the discussion it's liable to happen without us and the worse for everyone because of it.

Case and point
Soixante-Retard wrote: If you are interested Drlee, Friedrich Hayek would have supported Obamacare (at least, according to Erik Angner - and I agree).

Didn't that carry the qualifying assumption, "IF there is to be a safety net, this is how best to do it"? Which is different than an endorsement of said safety net.
Joe, if I recall correctly, Hayek emphasized in Road to Serfdom and The Constitution of Liberty that some subsidized income in "times of distress" is desirable. (A concise summary of can be found here, pp. 149-154).
There is a huge difference between a monetary safety net aimed at helping those in need, and the public provision (or tight regulation) of certain services.

Milton Friedman also supported such safety net (provided by a negative income tax), but drew a sharp difference between, say, education vouchers provided to needy family, as against public education.

Obamacare, while not (yet) providing a universal healthcare system, moves in that direction, by progressively limiting the range of options available to private providers of health-care services. It wouldn't have been, shouldn't, and isn't supported by any prominent person of libertarian leanings.
Eran, marginally, Obamacare, if I have understood it correctly, still utilizes markets. What it does is it compels people to purchase healthcare insurance.
That is correct.

I would further point out that it attempts to fix a free market system which is failing miserably.

Free markets are not necessarily fair markets. And we can't as a nation allow good health care to become a luxury purchase as it is now.
Considering, for example, that inter-state purchases of healthcare insurance policies was, and still is, prohibited, I'm not sure how you, Drlee, can claim that the pre-existing healthcare insurance market system was remotely "free".
Soixante-Retard wrote:Considering, for example, that inter-state purchases of healthcare insurance policies was, and still is, prohibited, I'm not sure how you, Drlee, can claim that the pre-existing healthcare insurance market system was remotely "free".

That's the formula:

1) government interferes in a market
2) interference screws up the market
3) politicians blame the screwup on "the unregulated free market"
4) government interferes even more to "fix" things

It's like Harry Browne said, government will break your legs, hand you a crutch, and tell you that if it weren't for government you couldn't walk.
Soixante-Retard wrote:Considering, for example, that inter-state purchases of healthcare insurance policies was, and still is, prohibited, I'm not sure how you, Drlee, can claim that the pre-existing healthcare insurance market system was remotely "free".

Many financial experts think that removing that regulation would not reduce costs:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/02/ ... ition.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/0 ... uce-costs/
http://www.naic.org/documents/topics_in ... _myths.pdf

It turns out they were correct, in an odd way:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/no-o ... gia/nQTQg/

A new law that allows Georgians to buy health insurance plans approved by other states was envisioned as free-market solution that would lower prices and increase choices.

So far, the law has failed to produce results: Not a single insurer is offering a policy under the new law.

“Nobody has even asked to be approved to sell across state lines,” Georgia Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said. “We’re dumbfounded. We are absolutely dumbfounded.”

Insurance companies are regulated by states. Historically, that has meant that Georgia consumers could only buy health plans that meet state requirements from companies licensed by the Georgia Department of Insurance.

Many conservative policymakers say a more open insurance market free from individual state regulations could add competition to the private market for health plans, used mostly by people who can’t get insurance at work. But the experience so far in Georgia has some wondering whether the concept is the answer after all.

Hudgens, a conservative Republican who strongly supports free-market ideas, said he expected policies sold in states such as Alabama, which have fewer requirements for health plans, to be offered in Georgia after enactment of the law.

“I’m really surprised because it was such a bumper sticker issue by Republicans saying if we could get across state line selling, we could reduce the cost of health care,” he said.

Rep. Matt Ramsey, R-Peachtree City, was the lead sponsor of the legislation signed into law last year. Insurers could have used the law beginning in December, when detailed regulations were finished.
Soixante-Retard wrote:POD, I think you're mistaken to believe that my argument for an inter-state market is that it will "reduce costs"...

If you are saying that a system that allows such policies would be better because it is more consistent with your ideology, you are correct. However, in the practical world of actually paying for health care, a lack of results is also important.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

The October 7th attack has not been deemed a genoc[…]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]