Nation state system - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By AFAIK
If a country became a libertarian anarchy how would it interact with other countries?
Would it maintain a seat at the UN or any other international body? Would it have embassies? Would the population have citizenship or passports?

If a wealthy country became anarchic it would likely experience large amounts immigration which would reduce the price of labour by increasing supply. This would also displace many businesses through an increase in competition.

If there were no restrictions on imports govts that subsidise industries in order to maintain employment may sell surplus production to this population without hindrance. This could lead to local industry going out of business.

There may be a myriad of social issues if the immigrants have different value systems, practice different religions, speak different languages, etc.

Would the population prefer to live in a minarchy in order to protect itself and facilitate interaction with others?
By JohnRawls
If a wealthy country would have become libertarian then the social order of that wealthy country would collapse, there would have been a revolution with nobody to deal with it plus somebody would probably invade you.

Lol-bertarianism is totally incompatible with organisations larger than a handful of like-minded in-duh-vidualists. There could be no nation state. It is anathema to the little darlings...
By AFAIK
Why do you post here if you have nothing constructive to say or even a basic understanding of the ideology?
I take it you believe corporations have to conscript workers as they are unable to convince more than a handful of people of the benefits of mutual cooperation.
How many members of PoFo are posting under duress?

I'll be reporting your 1 liners in the basement. I'd expect a mod with a link to the forum rules embedded in his sig to know better.
By JohnRawls
Do you not like hearing the truth ? Your premise was that its a wealthy nation and libertarians.

Wealthy nations have social programs and government sector. Libertarians idea is to scrap the social programs and privatize government sector. Now think what will happen if they do that ? 30% of all the population(Elderly, too young and others) will loose those programs, not to mention this will add to 10% already uneployed people, so instead of 10% unhappy people you will get 40-50% unhappy. Note that they are the people that will be part of your privatized police force and military force, who you just cut the benefits from. What would keep them from rebelling against libertarians? I mean you just made their life horrible and the government is almost non-exsistant. There is no way that something like patriotic duty will keep them in line.

Now this is why i said a revolution will happen and there will be nobody to defend you against it. Plus there are many people who would intervene under the pretence to stabilize your country and to plunder your riches by lucrative contracts for their corporations.

Simply put libertarianism will not work in the modern world.
By AFAIK
The state will also be unable to enforce artificial monopolies in the form of intellectual property, ration competition via licensing laws or promote economies of scale via regulations that require legal teams to interpret and implement.

If people aren't paying 50% of their income to the state they will have more than enough to provide for those in need. Either directly or through charities that will be judged by they're operations and results.

The rent seekers will be unhappy.

--Now this is why i said a revolution will happen and there will be nobody to defend you against it. Plus there are many people who would intervene under the pretence to stabilize your country and to plunder your riches by lucrative contracts for their corporations.--

In order for a libertarian society to function the overwhelming majority of the population would have to recognise the ideology to be legitimate.
Why aren't there chronic coups, riots and revolutions in liberal democracies?
Why do people respect the courts and follow the rule of law?

The fact that I posted this in the libertarian forum should make the ideological framing of the post implicit.
By JohnRawls
Who will provide for them?(There is no government, most money concentrated in the hands of corporations, corporations are not charities) Seriously, who?

Do you think without regulations the salary will go up? Main point of large enterprises is to make it as profitable as possible, not to have the utmost best possible social impact on the society. Bottom line is profit. They will not compete for workers because unemployment makes that impossible and unrestrained capitalist society will never allow 0% unemployment. There is just no utility in that if we just consider profit. The more money you pay to your workers the more money you loose.

Somehow thinking that using 19th century policies will produce something becides 19th century social structure is obliviousness.

Plus where the society will move after that. No laws will mean no enforcement of current rights. We will degrate back to slavery, Our literacy rate will fall because now less-off people will not be able to recieve education etc
I see no gaine for the society in long term or short term libertarianism, only larger monetary profits perhaps for large private enteties and rich individuals.
Last edited by JohnRawls on 22 Jul 2013 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
I seem to have upset AFAIK with my dark humour, for which I apologise.

Let me restate:

Libertarianism is totally incompatible with organisations larger than a handful of like-minded people. There could be no nation state. It is anathema to them.

OK?

In my original Lobby thread (2008)...
Maestro1 wrote:Drop by the libertarian forum some time, and we will cleanse you of the statist brainwashing that afflicts you.

...and I have done, repeatedly. Sadly or happily, however, no cleansing has thus taken place. No libertarian, anarchist or anarcho-whatever has succeeded in simply stating how a libertarian 'society' would actually work. Many have attempted to blind me with socio-economic political science, but no-one has managed to encapsulate in easy-to-read and even-easier-to-understand terms how their ideology could be brought to bear on reality.

My personal bias is openly known; I am an ex-military officer. The culture I have been 'brainwashed' by teaches us things like, "There's no 'I' in 'Team'". For a group of people to collectively achieve something the needs of the one must be subordinated to the needs of the many. Extrapolate that principle out to society and you have something that is grossly at odds with what I understand of libertarian principles.

Any group of humans requires a degree of organisation to achieve anything and once you acknowledge the need to organise, rules must be established to govern that organisation and then sanctions must be available against those who reject or ignore the rules. Thus to my mind libertarianism/anarchism offers nothing beyong happy-clappy hippie communes that have no greater aspiration than to merely subsist. Certainly there can be no nation state.
By Phred
Cartertonian wrote:Libertarianism is totally incompatible with organisations larger than a handful of like-minded people. There could be no nation state. It is anathema to them.

You (not for the first time) confuse Libertarians - as defined by the forum description - with Anarchists. The Founding Fathers of the United States, for example, along with many other political philosophers of the Enlightenment period were profoundly Libertarian (i.e. Classical Liberal, "Minarchist", Laissez-faire Capitalist) in their ideas and writings.

The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights are all profoundly Libertarian documents, and are very practical instruction manuals for running organizations substantially larger than a handful of like-minded people.

No libertarian, anarchist or anarcho-whatever has succeeded in simply stating how a libertarian 'society' would actually work.

See eighteenth, nineteenth, and early twentieth century USA as a very close approximation of a functioning Libertarian (as defined by the forum description) society. Late nineteenth century and early twentieth century Canada is another example. As for Anarchist societies, I'm with you on that one.

Phred
By AFAIK
I started this thread to explore some of the weaknesses and shortcomings of libertarianism.
It's likely that a libertarian society will evolve gradually as the state is forced to cede more of its monopoly to civil society and private enterprise.
We may prefer to live in a minarchy for various reasons. It is possible that we would be better served by a state run monopoly in certain areas such as critical infrastructure, utilities and public transport.

JohnRawls wrote:Who will provide for them?(There is no government, most money concentrated in the hands of corporations, corporations are not charities) Seriously, who?

Would you like me to post links to the millions of charities, NGOs, unions, syndicates, guilds, co-ops, communes and other civil society groups that currently exist?

I currently donate money to a charity that provides scholarships to Cambodian University students. The local director receives no salary, no office and no vehicle but volunteers his time whilst living off his pension. What % of tax revenue is used to provide politicians with salaries and opulence?

Since you are a fascist I will turn the question around, Who will gas the Jews and invade neighbouring countries if the state is unable to tax and conscript us?

Plus where the society will move after that. No laws will mean no enforcement of current rights. We will degrate back to slavery, Our literacy rate will fall because now less-off people will not be able to recieve education etc

Slavery is a violation of NAP. The courts and contract law will enforce our rights.

State education is a form of propaganda originally designed to serve the needs of factory owners. People are perfectly capable of making their own arrangements. Poorer nations are filled with schools that people voluntarily spend their own money on.

How many fascist states had conscription? Why is it acceptable for the state to enslave people?

Cartertonian wrote:Any group of humans requires a degree of organisation to achieve anything and once you acknowledge the need to organise, rules must be established to govern that organisation and then sanctions must be available against those who reject or ignore the rules. Thus to my mind libertarianism/anarchism offers nothing beyong happy-clappy hippie communes that have no greater aspiration than to merely subsist. Certainly there can be no nation state.

We are currently communicating on an internet forum that wasn't provided by a state, later I will play sports with others without oversight by the state, many of us work in private sector companies with thousands of employees.

Anarchists don't oppose hierarchies and organizations that are formed voluntarily we oppose the use of force to impose unwanted hierarchies on others.

Thank you for taking a more mature and reasonable tone in your post.
By Eran
AFAIK wrote:If a country became a libertarian anarchy how would it interact with other countries?

It wouldn't interact with them as a country. Individuals may interact with other countries in any number of ways.

Would it maintain a seat at the UN or any other international body? Would it have embassies? Would the population have citizenship or passports?

I wouldn't expect a seat at the UN of any other international bodes as a country. Groups of interested citizens (aka residents - no distinction) may well form local organisations wishing to interact with various international bodies (e.g. through coordinated charitable activity, or even peace-keeping forces)

As for passports, the answer depends on the rest of the international community. It may well be the case that other countries insist on a passport issued by a "recognised government" before allowing entry. If that is the case, a nominal government may well be maintained for this sole purpose.

If a wealthy country became anarchic it would likely experience large amounts immigration which would reduce the price of labour by increasing supply. This would also displace many businesses through an increase in competition.

Yes, I would expect that lowering of immigration barriers coupled with the highly dynamic and prosperous economy of a libertarian anarchy may well attract many immigrants.

This wave of immigration will cause average wages to fall initially, but not necessarily the wages of most of the people previously residing on the country. Their services, if only as native language speakers, would be more valuable than ever. This wave of immigration will help fuel incredible economic growth. The dynamic economy will naturally see turnover amongst businesses, but over time, business owners will learn to adapt to the changing nature of the economy, and failure rate should stabilise.

If there were no restrictions on imports govts that subsidise industries in order to maintain employment may sell surplus production to this population without hindrance. This could lead to local industry going out of business.

No, it won't. It will merely cause those companies operating in industries in which the country has no competitive advantage to be replaced by those operating in industries in which the country does have such advantage.

Basic economics (which even mainstream economists understand) shows that there is always a competitive advantage in one industry or another.

There may be a myriad of social issues if the immigrants have different value systems, practice different religions, speak different languages, etc.

Indeed. Past experience shows that countries can absorb huge immigration waves and incorporate them into the existing culture. Natives tend to have a natural advantage (being wealthier, already owning local property, being more familiar with local language and culture, etc.) and thus local culture tends to have strong "momentum".

The US in late 19th and early 20th centuries, and Israel shortly after 1948, as two examples I am somewhat familiar with, absorbed very large immigration waves without changing their basic culture.

The population of Israel doubled from 1948 to 1950, with the vast majority of new immigrants not speaking Hebrew, and coming from a very different culture.

Would the population prefer to live in a minarchy in order to protect itself and facilitate interaction with others?

As mentioned above, a nominal government issuing passports may well remain an expediency, though that may be its only authority.

JohnRawls wrote:Do you not like hearing the truth ? Your premise was that its a wealthy nation and libertarians.

Whether it is truth or not is far from clear. AFAIK correctly points out that regardless, it is inappropriate for this particular thread. I have never shied away from explaining the preconditions for, and possible operating models for a fully-anarchic libertarian society.

If you, Cartertonian or anybody else is interested in engaging, I'd be delighted.

Now think what will happen if they do that ? 30% of all the population (Elderly, too young and others) will loose those programs, not to mention this will add to 10% already unemployed people, so instead of 10% unhappy people you will get 40-50% unhappy. Note that they are the people that will be part of your privatized police force and military force, who you just cut the benefits from. What would keep them from rebelling against libertarians? I mean you just made their life horrible and the government is almost non-existent. There is no way that something like patriotic duty will keep them in line.

Transition towards a libertarian anarchy will be gradual. Libertarians do not, as a rule, believe in a violent revolution. Rather, we hope and work towards a gradual shift in public opinion, a greater understanding of the true nature of government and the many advantages of the free market.

In particular, earlier libertarian reforms (for example of the kind advocated by the Cato Institute) would have to be successful (and understood as such) before more radical changes (e.g. privatisation of the police and the courts) will be undertaken.

The parts of the modern world that work best are the parts in which government intervenes least. Very few people complain about the hi-tech industry, for example. Contrast that with the very low satisfaction level in government-dominated industries, from education to health-care, from transportation infrastructure to the financial industry.

Who will provide for them?(There is no government, most money concentrated in the hands of corporations, corporations are not charities) Seriously, who?

Seriously, most people will either live off their savings, or find employment. The small minority that is genuinely unable to support itself will be helped first by family and neighbours, and, as last resort, by charitable organisations.

Note that much poorer societies have taken care of all their needy members for centuries before the invention of the modern welfare state. You speak as though before social security we had elderly people starving in the streets. We didn't.

Do you think without regulations the salary will go up?

Of course. Labour regulations impose costs on employers, forcing them to reduce cash wages. Without those regulations, wages will naturally go up.

Main point of large enterprises is to make it as profitable as possible, not to have the utmost best possible social impact on the society. Bottom line is profit. They will not compete for workers because unemployment makes that impossible and unrestrained capitalist society will never allow 0% unemployment. There is just no utility in that if we just consider profit. The more money you pay to your workers the more money you loose.

That shows a very superficial understanding of economics. First, the vast majority of employees today are earning more than the minimum wage. By your logic, their wages should have been pushed down to the legislated minimum. They haven't. So something is already wrong with your argument.

Second, unemployment isn't a natural state of affairs. Unemployment is excess workers (or, alternatively, shortage of jobs). But in a free market environment, the labour markets will clear. At the market-clearing wages, by definition, supply and demand for jobs will meet.

Somehow thinking that using 19th century policies will produce something becides 19th century social structure is obliviousness.

The 19th century has seen very rapid economic growth, with steep increase in the standard of living of all members of society. That steep increase has slowed down in line with increasing government involvement in and interference with the economy.

Plus where the society will move after that. No laws will mean no enforcement of current rights. We will degrate back to slavery, Our literacy rate will fall because now less-off people will not be able to receive education etc

Welcome to the libertarian forum. You have obviously never been here before.

A libertarian anarchy doesn't mean there would be no laws. Merely that there would be no legislature, and no monopoly organisation authorised to enforce those laws. England has lived under the Common Law for centuries during which legislated law was a small minority within the overall body of law.

Private education tends to be cheaper than public education, and basic education is highly affordable. There is no reason to expect that anybody will fail to be educated due to financial constraints.

I see no gains for the society in long term or short term libertarianism, only larger monetary profits perhaps for large private entities and rich individuals.

In fact, many of the dominant corporations of today would hate to see a move towards a more libertarian society, as such a move would rob them of the benefits of their cosy relations with government (at the expense of the public at large).

artertonian wrote:Libertarianism is totally incompatible with organisations larger than a handful of like-minded people.

Libertarianism merely means that organisations must rely on voluntary membership. The largest organisation the world has ever seen - the Catholic Church - is precisely such organisation.

No libertarian, anarchist or anarcho-whatever has succeeded in simply stating how a libertarian 'society' would actually work. Many have attempted to blind me with socio-economic political science, but no-one has managed to encapsulate in easy-to-read and even-easier-to-understand terms how their ideology could be brought to bear on reality.

You cannot enlighten those who insist on keeping their eyes closed. However, I will be happy to engage you in an explanation of my views on anything from the theoretical foundations to minute practical questions regarding the most radical implementation of libertarianism, i.e. a libertarian anarchy.

Given your current views, however, I would suggest a more gradual approach.
1. Eliminate all government programs except (a) a single negative income tax subsidising low-means members of society, and (b) police, court and military
2. Eliminate (a)
3. Eliminate (b).

My personal bias is openly known; I am an ex-military officer. The culture I have been 'brainwashed' by teaches us things like, "There's no 'I' in 'Team'". For a group of people to collectively achieve something the needs of the one must be subordinated to the needs of the many. Extrapolate that principle out to society and you have something that is grossly at odds with what I understand of libertarian principles.

I am assuming that you volunteered rather than conscripted to the military? If that is so, you and your fellow soldiers voluntarily chose the authoritarian institution within which you found yourself.

Libertarianism isn't opposed to organisation, hierarchy and authority. All it requires is that membership in such organisations, be they military units, for-profit corporations, religious churches or not-for-profit societies, be based on the voluntary choice of their members.

As you should well know from your military experience, an organisation functions much better when its members are motivated and interested. Basing society on voluntary associations makes for a much smoother and more effective functioning.

Thus to my mind libertarianism/anarchism offers nothing beyong happy-clappy hippie communes that have no greater aspiration than to merely subsist. Certainly there can be no nation state.

There can be no nation state, but there can be many form of organisations within society, as noted above.
Cartertonian wrote::lol: ....

Lol-bertarianism is totally incompatible with organisations larger than a handful of like-minded in-duh-vidualists. There could be no nation state. It is anathema to the little darlings...

All libertarianism says is that it's better to cooperate on a mutually beneficial/voluntary basis than on the basis of a violently imposed hierarchy.

I work for an international company that has hundreds of thousands of employees. These are people interacting based entirely on a voluntary basis. I would say that is more than a handful, and one tiny example anyway.

I find it unfortunate that you live the sort of life that has lead you to conclude it is impossible to interact with people without forcing them into submission.
By Drlee
We are currently communicating on an internet forum that wasn't provided by a state, later I will play sports with others without oversight by the state, many of us work in private sector companies with thousands of employees.

How can we take so-called libertarians seriously when they post nonsense like this. Perhaps a lesson on the history and structure of the internet would be a good idea.

Oddly Phred has actually hit the nail on the head. The founding fathers of the US were espousing a libertarian philosophy.

The problem is that their brand of libertarianism has morphed into the nonsense to which we have just been subjected. My biggest problem with todays flavor of libertarian is two-fold. First is that they are so out of touch with any real sense of how people want to live that they espouse as their utopia a way of life that frankly practically nobody wants. The second is that they spend endless time and energy trying to deny what the rest of us see as 10,000 years of history. Simply put we know that these complex notions of how things ought to be just won't work this side of the rapture.

At last year's American Psychiatric Association convention in Philadelphia I overheard a political discussion between a vendor and a psychiatrist. The vendor was talking about how medical care would run if libertarians ran the country and that libertarian psychiatrists would be the first to see how to benefit from this new world...To which the psychiatrist said, "son, there are no libertarian psychiatrists". I was laughing so hard I thought they were going to have to beat the breath back into me. He has simply expressed the argument better than I ever could if I wrote a book on it. There are no libertarian psychiatrists. *

*Yes I know who Thomas Szasz was. Quite well. Do not place your reliance on his arguments for two reasons. The first is that you probably do not understand them and have simply memorized some of his more outlandish talking points. The second is that he was not taken very seriously for his clinical work or skills. He was largely famous for being famous. He joined scientology and was barred from practice in NY state facilities. And he was Hungarian. An annoying people though passionate but their accent just screams doctor.
By AFAIK
Dr Lee- I was referring to this specific website not the infrastructure/ invention of the internet.

By your logic I am a hypocrite for traveling on public roads, using state utilities, using state police and courts or purchasing goods from a company that has received state subsidies or bailouts.

My life would be unlivable.
By Eran
Dr lee is making at least two conceptual errors.

The first is the progress fallacy. Since we moved into state provision of certain services, that must have been a good thing. We progressed. Reverting to the way things were done in the past would be to reverse progress. A bad thing.

The second is that voters intelligently and knowingly choose the policies that are actually being implemented. We have a welfare state because most people, in their collective wisdom, want it, with all its costs and consequences.

In fact, the political process was hijacked by the progressive ideology. Its superficial plausibility coupled with its attraction to intellectual elites have made for its broad public acceptance. As with all public programs (in this case, a wide collection of programs), once in place, it created its own constituency, vested in its perpetuation. Generations of academics, public servants and politicians have been interested in obfuscating the cost and failures of the program.

And since the structure of the democratic process inherently provides people with little incentive for examining the cost-effectiveness of government programs, their support of those programs has little if any information value.

Public attitude would clearly have to be changed before policies can be reversed. That is admittedly an uphill battle.
By Baff
For myself I'm looking for a compromise.

The larger a state is, the less my interests will be represented by it.
The smaller a state the less ability it has to protect me from outside influence.

So on Monday I want a smaller state, on Tuesday it feels about right and during a world war communism is perfectly acceptable to me.

Ideally I want a state that can rapidly grow and shrink to my ever changing priorities.

The practicalities of life are such that in many socially organised endeavours my participation will be enforced. From my attendance at school to the digging of my mum's vegetable patch.

It may also address fairness.

For example, I used to run a gaming server.
It cost £500 a month in bandwidth and myself and the frequent users of the server all agreed to share the costs.
But come payday despite everyone agreeing to pay in principle.... actual payments collected by me where few and far between.

Now I play World of Warcraft. Where payment is systematically enforced before server access is granted. I now pay £10 a month for server access where before I was paying £400.
And there is no injustice. I am not angry with the other players for shorting me.

So there are practicalities involved in unenforced participation. Most typically the collection of any agreed payment.
In the end most people have to be co-erced to honour their agreements. Very few indeed volunteer to live up to their agreements. A far greater number only do so to avoid the threat of sanction.
Human nature is what it is.
By Eran
The smaller a state the less ability it has to protect me from outside influence.

What outside influence does your state protect you from?

So there are practicalities involved in unenforced participation. Most typically the collection of any agreed payment.

Indeed. But what does that have to do with the state? People operating without coercion or politics (e.g. those behind World of Warcraft) can and routinely do find solutions to the problem of free riders and non-payers.
By Someone5
JohnRawls wrote:Do you not like hearing the truth ? Your premise was that its a wealthy nation and libertarians.

Wealthy nations have social programs and government sector. Libertarians idea is to scrap the social programs and privatize government sector. Now think what will happen if they do that ? 30% of all the population(Elderly, too young and others) will loose those programs, not to mention this will add to 10% already uneployed people, so instead of 10% unhappy people you will get 40-50% unhappy. Note that they are the people that will be part of your privatized police force and military force, who you just cut the benefits from. What would keep them from rebelling against libertarians? I mean you just made their life horrible and the government is almost non-exsistant. There is no way that something like patriotic duty will keep them in line.

Now this is why i said a revolution will happen and there will be nobody to defend you against it. Plus there are many people who would intervene under the pretence to stabilize your country and to plunder your riches by lucrative contracts for their corporations.

OTOH, the aftermath of a libertarian revolution would be amazingly fertile ground for socialists to launch a counter-revolution.
By JohnRawls
Exactly, that is my opinion. We should never let libertarians have any power because they will lead us to communism
By Eran
Uttered with about the same logic as the claim that separation of church and state would lead to the inquisition.

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not co[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]