Libertarianism is incoherent - Page 20 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ah, no, they are not, as proved by the places that are capitalist but have no industry, such as Monaco, rural areas of France and Spain, most of the Scottish islands, etc.

ingliz wrote:Monaco’s economic and regulatory system is closely tied to that of France. France, Spain, and the United Kingdom are industrialised nations with post-industrial economies.

But with large non-industrial yet capitalist areas, proving you wrong.

The industrialization of non-capitalist China, Soviet Russia, etc. also prove you wrong.
have no industry, such as Monaco

Monaco has industry.

Only in the vacuous sense that every place, capitalist or otherwise, has "industry." That doesn't support your claim that capitalism and industrialization are "inseparable."
Embassy of Monaco in Washington DC, A dense and unexpected industrial structure wrote:This industry covers a very wide range of sectors: printing,

I.e., there's a copy shop.
cosmetology,

There's a beauty salon.
pharmaceutics,

There's a drug store.
chemicals,

There's a hardware store.
plastic processing industries (automobile equipment, mechanical and electronic components),

There's a car repair shop.
building materials,

Back to the hardware store.
household appliances, etc.

There's a Bosch outlet.

Really? That's what you came up with?

Monaco has industry.

Truth To Power wrote:Only in the vacuous sense that every place, capitalist or otherwise, has "industry." That doesn't support your claim that capitalism and industrialization are "inseparable."

The tourist industry dominates Monaco's economic life, but small-scale industries produce a variety of items for domestic use and for export, contributing 11.6% of business turnover in the mid-1990s. Most industrial plants are located on Fontvieille. About 700 small businesses make pottery and glass objects, paper and cards, jewelry, perfumes, dolls, precision instruments, plastics, chemicals and pharmaceuticals, machine tools, watches, leather items, and radio parts. There are flour mills, dairies, and chocolate and candy plants, as well as textile mills and a small shipyard. The chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics industries consisted of 23 companies with 1,000 employees that generated approximately 45% of the total industrial turnover in the 1990s. Due to territorial constraints, Monaco's industries are forced to expand their facilities upward; some industrial buildings rise as high as 13 stories. A new construction project begun in 2001 was extending the pier used by cruise ships in the main harbor.

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Euro ... z3PaCuGj8F

There's not much point in arguing with TTP, Ingliz, all he cares about is being right and that everyone else is wrong and stupid, even if he can't prove he's right, and even if it means ignoring facts.

His main argument is that he's smarter than everyone, and thus everyone should listen to him.

Truth to Power wrote:proving you wrong

Truth to Power wrote:also prove you wrong.

See? But yet he'll cite nothing to back himself up, just continue to insist he's right and everyone else is wrong.
there's a...

There is manufacturing accounting for 6.2% of GDP.

Monegasque Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (IMSEE) wrote:CHIFFRE D'AFFAIRES DE L'INDUSTRIE 2013

1 126 756 K€

Jim4120 wrote:There's not much point in arguing with TTP, Ingliz

It passes the time and provides a modicum of amusement what more can one ask of an internet forum.

libertarianism is in fact incoherent, but not in the way the OP says. it's typically a minarchistist philosophy. but, they are still statists. therefore, they are still vulnerable to the same pitfall that all other statists philosophies are...the use of non-consensual force.
ingliz wrote:There is manufacturing accounting for 6.2% of GDP.

So, it's about as "industrialized" as pharaonic Egypt...
There's not much point in arguing with TTP, Ingliz, all he cares about is being right and that everyone else is wrong and stupid, even if he can't prove he's right, and even if it means ignoring facts.

I am the one here who has been identifying the relevant facts of objective physical reality, which show why I am right and the "opposition" (such as it is) wrong.
His main argument is that he's smarter than everyone, and thus everyone should listen to him.

I have said no such thing, and you know it. It is merely an impression you have gained from witnessing how easily I demolish and humiliate intellectual poseurs like ingliz.
See? But yet he'll cite nothing to back himself up, just continue to insist he's right and everyone else is wrong.

When the facts that prove me right and the opposition wrong are self-evident and indisputable, I don't have to "cite" any authority. Anyone of normal intelligence over the age of six can see that I am obviously right. The only hold-outs are those who have contrived ways not to know the relevant self-evident and indisputable facts of objective physical reality. Like you.

I have proved ingliz and his ilk objectively wrong dozens if not hundreds of times on this forum. He has never admitted to a single one of his proved errors. Yet somehow, when Monaco's 6.2% manufacturing activity is adduced as evidence for his sweeping claim that capitalism and industrialization are inseparable (ignoring all the other and much larger examples that prove they aren't, like Soviet Russia), suddenly I'm the stubborn one who insists he is right, doesn't provide supporting facts, and won't admit an error.

Yeah. Right. Whatever.
Truth To Power wrote:When the facts that prove me right and the opposition wrong are self-evident and indisputable, I don't have to "cite" any authority.

It's not your logic that needs to backed up by sources, it's your facts.
Truth To Power wrote:When the facts that prove me right and the opposition wrong are self-evident and indisputable, I don't have to "cite" any authority.

Jim4120 wrote:It's not your logic that needs to backed up by sources, it's your facts.

Which facts? Do you doubt that land was here before any human being? Everything else flows from that.
witnessing how easily I demolish and humiliate intellectual poseurs

Ha! That is as nothing when compared to my prowess in disputation, I am so good at the game, poseurs have an irresistible compulsion to demolish their argument and humiliate themselves.

Truth to Power wrote:places that are capitalist but have no industry, such as Monaco

Truth to Power wrote:Monaco's 6.2% manufacturing activity

ingliz wrote:Ha! That is as nothing when compared to my prowess in disputation, I am so good at the game, poseurs have an irresistible compulsion to demolish their argument and humiliate themselves.

Looks like you've been ragdolled just like in the other thread, hence the usual obnoxious snipping and pretending the arguments that delivered crushing blows never happened. The one time TTP is slightly off about a detail that doesn't even have much impact overall, you do the gotcha and pretend you're a winner, just like a true debating charity case would.
obnoxious snipping

What you call obnoxious snipping I call forensically dissecting a bad argument.

pretending the arguments that delivered crushing blows never happened

What arguments are they?

the one time TTP is slightly off about a detail

Truth to Power's problem is because he knows so little and understands less he is off on so many details; you can only get so far on bullshit and bombast.

obnoxious snipping

ingliz wrote:What you call obnoxious snipping I call forensically dissecting a bad argument.

Looks like "poseur" was charitable...

You routinely snip context to completely remove meaning.
pretending the arguments that delivered crushing blows never happened

What arguments are they?

The 99% you ignored, sneered at, laughed at, misrepresented, removed context from, etc., etc., because you could not answer.
the one time TTP is slightly off about a detail

Truth to Power's problem is because he knows so little and understands less

Which must really say something about the poseurs I demolish so easily....
he is off on so many details;

What details are they?

You mean, the other proofs I gave that your claim that "capitalism and industrialization are inseparable" was absurd, and you ignored, like Soviet Russia?

you can only get so far on bullshit and bombast.

This, from you...?

Soviet Russia

Soviet Russia is one of those 'details' where you were slightly off.

ingliz wrote:Industrialism and capitalism in Western Europe are inseparable.

The Soviet Union was a transcontinental union of multiple subnational Soviet republics in Eastern Europe and Asia; the Eastern Bloc, a collection of Soviet satellite states in Central and Eastern Europe.

Last edited by ingliz on 05 Feb 2015 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
A few things I am curious as to what your response is:

Truth to Power wrote:the producer's ownership of the fruits of his labor doesn't deprive anyone else of anything they would otherwise have

I feel like this is a false premise from which you were arguing. All of the things that we use to make something inherently begin with using natural resources to produce them. So, the act of producing does in fact deprive someone else of something - the natural resources used to create what it is that is produced. Example: i use a tree to build a boat. Now that tree is no longer there for others to use for their own means.

Truth to Power wrote:No, the human liberty to use land that has not been appropriated as property is a fact of objective physical reality: everyone is physically at liberty to use it; no one else will stop them.

If there's only a certain amount of land available, and all of it is being used by someone, whether or not it's owned, and someone else decides to use that land, they cannot, because it is already being used. This can lead to conflict, and possibly, somebody stopping someone else from using land they were previously using. So to say that "no one else will stop them" is not inherently true.

Truth to Power wrote:If you have been paying attention, you will note that this parable very accurately describes what actually happened when slaves were "emancipated" in the Civil War:

If you say that the landowner is inherently wrong in this situation, it seems to me that you have to extend that same logic to all means of production. In your ship-building example, it is the capital of those not building the ship that you say is responsible for said ship being built. So, you argue that land should not be owned, because those who produce on the land should own what they produce, but then turn around 180 degrees and say that those who build the ship do not own the ship, because they did not pay for its construction. Isn't this the exact opposite of the argument you made against landowning? By that logic the shipbuilder is in essence "exploiting" the worker for his own benefit, without physically producing anything themselves, which, if I understand your argument, was the whole problem you had with landowning. This seems incoherent to me but perhaps I'm misunderstanding your argument.

Truth to Power wrote:The workers are paid for their contributions out of the value of the property right the rightful owner obtains by bringing the ships into existence.

And you said that everyone should be entitled to own the "fruits of their labor," yet you dismiss this notion here, as the owner of the capital is now the one that owns the ship, and not those that physically labored to make it a reality.

Truth to Power wrote:But it can elicit labor, effecting production that would not otherwise have occurred. In such cases, it is the investor who causes the product to be produced, not the laborer.

Only because the investor has something that the laborers want, in this case capital, so that they can use that for themselves. The incentive in this case, then, is not the betterment of society, but the betterment of oneself by the obtainment of capital, which is only beneficial if society places a benefit on owning capital.

Truth to Power wrote:The only thing stopping you or anyone else from building a factory or a shipyard is that you need land to put it on. The supply of land, by contrast, is fixed.

That, and the supply of natural resources necessary to build the factory or shipyard, which is also fixed.

Truth to Power wrote:There is no crop without seed, either. That doesn't mean the farmer is not uniquely responsible for production of the crop.

SueDeNîmes wrote:But participation of other people does.

Truth to Power wrote:No, it does not, when those other people are not the active cause that made the product exist rather than not exist.

But that crop would also not exist without the labor of the other people involved, either. The one providing the seed does not produce a crop without labor, just as those with labor do not produce a crop without seed. It is a mutually beneficial relationship in which you have placed more value on the one providing the seed than those providing the labor.

Truth to Power wrote:When a factory worker's labor turns a 50%-complete product into a 51%-complete product, his property right is in the 1% he has added, not the 100% complete product. It is that sliver of property right that he exchanges for his wages.

So if some group of people are able to produce something (say a crop) from a piece of land, and another group does not have the skills to do so, but does have the skills to produce something else beneficial to the ones producing the crop, then why do the ones who can produce on the land not have more of a right to use that particular piece of land than the one who can not, to the benefit of all involved? Are they not exchanging their rights to use that land for the price of the good sold to help better produce off of that land (perhaps in this case, the price being a portion of the crop produced)?

Scarcity of resources is what drives society to come up with a value for all things available to be used for production (including land), because not everyone can have access to everything they need to survive all of the time. There's simply not enough to go around. This value leads to a trade system as a means by which to distribute the use of natural resources that are scarce. Another alternative to the trade system to control resources is through physical power, by which a person or group of people wield physical power over others, and get them to do their will. This power is able to acquire goods and resources not normally available to that person, who doesn't necessarily have the skills to produce it themselves. Eventually, this ability to control resources was turned into a money system, by creating a standard of value (money).

In theory, this would be based upon the ability of one to produce something of value to society, and over time the idea of what this is was changed because value came to be placed not just on the physical production of goods from the use of the available resources, but on things like services as well, e.g. the ability of one person to protect the goods of another from theft. But, those originally with the physical power to force others to turn over their goods and services to them, could control a larger portion of the available resources, goods, and services (and ultimately money) than those without it. This control gave them the means to force others into servitude.

Then, people determined a way in which they can create money without providing anything of inherent value to society, in essence creating from money, which was derived from the system that was created, and that can be used to wield power over those who have less of what is now valuable in society, money, because it has become a conference of power, rather than a representation of the value of a trade, which is how it began. It allows them to have power over others when they do not necessarily have the physical capabilities to do it. So, ultimately, it is those with more power exploiting those who have less that leads to the situation which you described, whether that be physical or financial power, and I would say the latter has more inherent value as a conference of power, since you can buy the services of those that have the physical might to protect that which you own (whether rightly or not), by conferring them part of your power through the transference of money.

You can argue that this system is flawed or wrong (and it is probably at least one of the two), but I don't see how you can claim that anyone has an inherent right to the use of resources that are scarce. Because there is only so much of said resources that are available to be used, someone is going to get left out, and this is how we, as a society, have chosen to deal with that problem.
Soviet Russia

ingliz wrote:Soviet Russia is one of those 'details' where you were slightly off.

ingliz wrote:Industrialism and capitalism in Western Europe are inseparable.

The Soviet Union was a transcontinental union of multiple subnational Soviet republics in Eastern Europe and Asia; the Eastern Bloc, a collection of Soviet satellite states in Central and Eastern Europe.

OK, so you tried to cherry-pick an area that happens to be all-capitalist and all-industrial, and try to claim that supports your "argument." Problem is, industrialism began under feudalism in France and England, some rural areas of capitalist Western Europe remain less industrial than major cities were under feudalism, and your claim is thus proved false again.
So i have read a bit of this thread and i really dont understand where people get off saying libertarianism is incoherant. It is no more incoherant than any other form of government. Capitalism is proven to be stimulating to economic growth. I cant understand how liberals think that it is ok to tell people how they are allowed to sell their physical and intellectual property. If you had a device that only you could make and the government stepped in and said you had to sell it at 1 dollar a piece instead of a thousand, what would you think? Liberals seem to think that a persons property is theirs as well. No matter what you think its wrong to force people to run their business in the manner that the government chooses. If a company decides to pay its workers less than other companies it wont have many employees. If wages are competitive it will raise wages. Also, why do people that work entry level jobs believe they deserve more money? If you are entry level then you should make the lowest out of all workers right? When you raise minimum wages it only fixes the problem for a short time. Eventually eeveryone in america is just going to start charging more for things because everyone has more money. Its the way things work. The producers of the country are the ones that decide if the market succeeds or fails. If every producer decided to stop producing the country would be destroyed. The mass of lazy liberals that believe they should be taken care of will all look to the government for a hand out and there would be anarchy within months. Its pathetic how much people complain about the upper 3 percent when they are responsible for nearly all of the jobs in america. It makes no sense to think that they owe more to you simply because they make more than you. Yes i understand that they pay less percentage of taxes overall. But they pay millions in taxes. How do you reconcile the fact that they are responsible for the government actually staying afloat? What happens if the upper 3 percent decides to make no money for one year and pays no tax? Economic collapse. The goverment is held up by capitolism. And they spend most of their effort growing and evolving to touch more and control more. Why is it incoherant to believe that the government should scale back and deal with the things they originally were meant to? If anything libertarianism is one of the most coherant for human rights. We are prisoners of our own circumstance in the country we live in. With the rapid socializing of america there will come a day when we ruin ourselves and collapse. Hopefully the common man wakes up and says no to the goverment control that they want to oppress us with and we make this country into what our forefathers intended us to be.
Truth to Power wrote:the producer's ownership of the fruits of his labor doesn't deprive anyone else of anything they would otherwise have

Jim4120 wrote:I feel like this is a false premise from which you were arguing.

But it's clearly true. The product would not exist but for the producer's effort to bring it into existence, so his ownership of it could not possibly deprive anyone else of anything they would otherwise have.
All of the things that we use to make something inherently begin with using natural resources to produce them. So, the act of producing does in fact deprive someone else of something - the natural resources used to create what it is that is produced.

No. It only deprives them if they are consequently deprived – i.e., if they are disadvantaged by being excluded from using a scarce resource they would otherwise have been at liberty to use. Resources are not always scarce, their use is not always exclusive, and others don't always want to use them.
Example: i use a tree to build a boat. Now that tree is no longer there for others to use for their own means.

No. There are two cases: 1) no one else wanted to use the resources at the time they were removed from nature, in which case no one was deprived of anything; or 2) someone else did want to use them, but was forcibly excluded from doing so, in which case compensation is owed to those excluded by those who excluded them. But the latter is not a case of ownership of the product by its producer depriving them. It is a case of forcible exclusion from use of the resource depriving them.

And note that there can be no retroactive deprivation. If someone comes along and says, "You previously used up resources that I would have liked to use now," they are asking the logically impossible: that they be at liberty to use a resource which no longer exists, i.e., that time be reversed. There can never be any such thing as a right to the logically impossible.
Truth to Power wrote:No, the human liberty to use land that has not been appropriated as property is a fact of objective physical reality: everyone is physically at liberty to use it; no one else will stop them.

If there's only a certain amount of land available, and all of it is being used by someone, whether or not it's owned, and someone else decides to use that land, they cannot, because it is already being used.

No. That is only true if the user excludes them, effectively appropriating the land as his private property. Non-exclusive use was normal for millions of years – it is still normal in hunter-gatherer and nomadic herding societies -- until greedy, evil parasites figured out that they could enslave others by wrongly claiming to own land as producers rightly own the fruits of their labor.
This can lead to conflict, and possibly, somebody stopping someone else from using land they were previously using. So to say that "no one else will stop them" is not inherently true.

It is true as long as no one excludes others. That is the key act that appropriates the land as private property. What you are describing is just effective appropriation of land as private property by excluding others from using it.
Truth to Power wrote:If you have been paying attention, you will note that this parable very accurately describes what actually happened when slaves were "emancipated" in the Civil War:

If you say that the landowner is inherently wrong in this situation, it seems to me that you have to extend that same logic to all means of production.

No, because the capital goods' owner affords people access to opportunity they would not otherwise have had, while the landowner deprives them of opportunity they would otherwise have had.

Capitalists and socialists just have to refuse to know that fact in order to preserve their false and evil beliefs.
In your ship-building example, it is the capital of those not building the ship that you say is responsible for said ship being built.

No. Capital is just a tool, and is never responsible for anything. Those who caused the ship to be built rather than not built rightly own it. If they owned the capital, and risked it to build the ship as entrepreneurs, so be it. If they were workers who borrowed the capital consensually (presumably making compensation through interest or a share of the profits), fine, they own it. The relevant labor is the labor of the entrepreneur in arranging for the ship to be produced, i.e., to exist rather than not exist. Whether he is a capital owner, a laborer, both, or neither is irrelevant to his resulting property right in what he brought into existence.
So, you argue that land should not be owned, because those who produce on the land should own what they produce,

No, that is not the reason. The reason land cannot rightly be owned is that owning it inherently abrogates the rights of all who would otherwise be at liberty to use it.
but then turn around 180 degrees and say that those who build the ship do not own the ship, because they did not pay for its construction.

No. It's not a question of paying for construction, but the labor of arranging for the required production factors to be devoted to the ship's construction. Even if someone borrows all the money to build a ship, and hires the labor, and buys all the materials on credit, they still own the ship even though they did none of the construction labor and provided none of the capital because they were the ones who caused the ship to exist. The people who did the building traded their contributions for wages, and the people who paid for the tools, etc. have presumably done so in exchange for getting their money back plus interest later, or a share of the profits. The owner is the one who brought the factors together to create the product.
Isn't this the exact opposite of the argument you made against landowning? By that logic the shipbuilder is in essence "exploiting" the worker for his own benefit, without physically producing anything themselves, which, if I understand your argument, was the whole problem you had with landowning.

No. The capital owner is contributing capital to the production process and thus earns a share of the product. The landowner is contributing nothing to production, and thus earns no share of it. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that, but I know that apologists for landowner privilege somehow prevent their brains from understanding it.
Truth to Power wrote:The workers are paid for their contributions out of the value of the property right the rightful owner obtains by bringing the ships into existence.

And you said that everyone should be entitled to own the "fruits of their labor," yet you dismiss this notion here, as the owner of the capital is now the one that owns the ship, and not those that physically labored to make it a reality.

They were paid wages for their rightful shares of ownership: the value they contributed to the final product. The capital owner might have done likewise with his contribution, trading his ownership share for interest on his money, or a share of the profits, or he might be the owner, if he was the one who performed the labor of arranging for the ship to be built.
Truth to Power wrote:But it can elicit labor, effecting production that would not otherwise have occurred. In such cases, it is the investor who causes the product to be produced, not the laborer.

Only because the investor has something that the laborers want, in this case capital, so that they can use that for themselves.

So it's a consensual trade, and no one's rights are abrogated. By contrast, the landowner only gets a portion of production by forcibly removing others' rights to liberty, and demanding they pay him for use of what would otherwise have been available to use.
The incentive in this case, then, is not the betterment of society, but the betterment of oneself by the obtainment of capital, which is only beneficial if society places a benefit on owning capital.

No. Contributing capital is beneficial because it increases production. Owning land is not beneficial because the land was already there with no help from the landowner or any previous landowner. You know this.
Truth to Power wrote:The only thing stopping you or anyone else from building a factory or a shipyard is that you need land to put it on. The supply of land, by contrast, is fixed.

That, and the supply of natural resources necessary to build the factory or shipyard, which is also fixed.

Yes. All natural resources are subsumed in the economic term, "land," so we can say you need land both to build it and to put it on. If you exclude others who want to use them from using natural resources, whether raw materials you remove from nature or a location you can inherently never remove from nature, you are abrogating their rights and must rightly make just compensation.
Truth to Power wrote:There is no crop without seed, either. That doesn't mean the farmer is not uniquely responsible for production of the crop.

SueDeNîmes wrote:But participation of other people does.

Truth to Power wrote:No, it does not, when those other people are not the active cause that made the product exist rather than not exist.

But that crop would also not exist without the labor of the other people involved, either.

Yes, and they already traded their property right shares in the crop for their wages.
The one providing the seed does not produce a crop without labor, just as those with labor do not produce a crop without seed. It is a mutually beneficial relationship in which you have placed more value on the one providing the seed than those providing the labor.

No, I haven't. It's not clear who contributed more value or will consequently get more benefit. The seed is bought from a seed house, the labor is bought from workers, the equipment is bought from machinery makers, the fertilizer is bought from a chemical manufacturer, all of whom are contributing things needed for the crop. The entrepreneur who performs the labor of bringing all those factors to bear on the land, arranging for the crop to be grown, and therefore owns it, could even end up losing money – many millions of them have, you know. The only one involved who is NOT contributing anything is the landowner, because unlike everything else needed to grow the crop, the land was already there, ready to use, with no help from him or any previous landowner.
Truth to Power wrote:When a factory worker's labor turns a 50%-complete product into a 51%-complete product, his property right is in the 1% he has added, not the 100% complete product. It is that sliver of property right that he exchanges for his wages.

So if some group of people are able to produce something (say a crop) from a piece of land, and another group does not have the skills to do so, but does have the skills to produce something else beneficial to the ones producing the crop, then why do the ones who can produce on the land not have more of a right to use that particular piece of land than the one who can not, to the benefit of all involved?

Firstly because it's only someone's opinion that the first group will be more productive, and we can't know in advance who will make the best use of a resource; but mainly because people who may have less potential to use their rights to full advantage do not thereby lose any portion of those rights. The fact that I am better able to think and to express myself than you does not give me more of a right to freedom of thought and expression than you. We may decide as a matter of reasonable policy that whoever bids the most for use of the land is likely to use it most productively, though there is no guarantee. But more importantly, those who do not bid as much as the high bidder have no grounds for complaint, because they were not willing to compensate the high bidder as much for being excluded as the high bidder is willing to compensate them.
Are they not exchanging their rights to use that land for the price of the good sold to help better produce off of that land (perhaps in this case, the price being a portion of the crop produced)?

It is very unclear to me what you are trying to say, here. Who is trading what for what? The ones who use the land are not exchanging their rights to use it, they are the ones who ARE using it. And how does the price of the crop become a portion of the crop?
Scarcity of resources is what drives society to come up with a value for all things available to be used for production (including land), because not everyone can have access to everything they need to survive all of the time.

Wrong. In a hunter-gatherer economy, they do, because no one excludes anyone else from access to natural resources. They just have to do the work to sustain themselves using the resources nature provides.
There's simply not enough to go around.

And when that is the case, those who get to use the resources owe just compensation to those whom they exclude from using them.
This value leads to a trade system as a means by which to distribute the use of natural resources that are scarce.

But private property in land is a “trade” system in which everyone has already been robbed of what they had to trade -- their liberty to use the resources nature provided for all – and nature has been “distributed” to some at the expense of all the rest. No one traded away their rights to use land. Their rights were simply removed by force, without compensation.
Another alternative to the trade system to control resources is through physical power, by which a person or group of people wield physical power over others, and get them to do their will.

That is the system of private property in land. The state, on the landowner's behalf, wields physical power over the landless, to make them the slaves of the landowner, who forces them to work for his benefit while he does nothing. He is a pure taker, a pure parasite, a pure thief, a pure enslaver, pure evil.
This power is able to acquire goods and resources not normally available to that person, who doesn't necessarily have the skills to produce it themselves.

I.e., the landowner takes from the producer, producing nothing himself. Right.
Eventually, this ability to control resources was turned into a money system, by creating a standard of value (money).

No. Money arose as a medium of exchange and its fundamental use is as a medium of exchange. It is because value is what a thing can be exchanged for that the medium of exchange is the most natural standard and measure of value. The function of money as a standard of value is derivative of its function as the medium of exchange.
But, those originally with the physical power to force others to turn over their goods and services to them, could control a larger portion of the available resources, goods, and services (and ultimately money) than those without it. This control gave them the means to force others into servitude.

No, that's not what happened, as history and anthropology prove. First, society developed property rights in the fruits of one's labor, and the physically strong had to respect that or find themselves up against the group in a fight they could not win. Then slavery emerged from inter-societal conflict: captured enemies were taken as property and forced into servitude, as a solution to the twin problems of labor shortage resulting from warfare and what to do with captives. Only later, as a result of the emergence of settled agriculture, did property in land emerge, giving the landowners the means to force others into servitude.
Then, people determined a way in which they can create money without providing anything of inherent value to society, in essence creating from money, which was derived from the system that was created, and that can be used to wield power over those who have less of what is now valuable in society, money, because it has become a conference of power, rather than a representation of the value of a trade, which is how it began.

Could you try saying that in English?

The monetary system used in all advanced countries is debt money, which is created by commercial banksters when they lend. Contrary to some claims, it is not created ex nihilo – that is fiat money – but is created from the borrower's legal obligation to repay it. Because repayment of debt destroys debt money, someone has to undertake more debt or the money supply will contract, producing a deflationary collapse. If firms and households won't (as since the GFC), government has to. You are correct that the bankster is not providing anything of value to society, but simply using his money creation privilege to extort interest income from the productive and society at large.
It allows them to have power over others when they do not necessarily have the physical capabilities to do it.

All privilege has that effect, not just landowner privilege and bankster privilege. The fact you are trying to evade is that ownership of capital is not a privilege, because it violates no one's rights and confers no power to do so. No one is made worse off by it than they would otherwise have been. Everyone else IS made worse off than they would otherwise have been by landowner privilege, bankster privilege, IP monopoly privilege, union privilege, etc.
So, ultimately, it is those with more power exploiting those who have less that leads to the situation which you described, whether that be physical or financial power, and I would say the latter has more inherent value as a conference of power, since you can buy the services of those that have the physical might to protect that which you own (whether rightly or not), by conferring them part of your power through the transference of money.

That is a very confused idea of economic relations, because you have deleted from your mind the difference between the power to provide others with more than they would otherwise have and the power to deprive others of what they would otherwise have had. It is only the latter power that can exploit and enslave.
You can argue that this system is flawed or wrong (and it is probably at least one of the two), but I don't see how you can claim that anyone has an inherent right to the use of resources that are scarce.

Everyone has an inherent right to the use of all natural resources, because that is what liberty means. Scarcity just means that those who deprive others of scarce resources must rightly make just compensation to them for doing so.
Because there is only so much of said resources that are available to be used, someone is going to get left out, and this is how we, as a society, have chosen to deal with that problem.

Of course. Just as slavery was a way that we as a society chose to deal with a different problem. Slavery was better than just slaughtering defeated captives, and landowning was better than just ignoring property rights in fixed improvements. But now we have better solutions to those problems.
w4rped wrote:So i have read a bit of this thread and i really dont understand where people get off saying libertarianism is incoherant. It is no more incoherant than any other form of government.

A. libertarianism is incoherent. (True)
B. it is no more incoherent than any other form of government. (True)
.'. all forms of government are incoherent.

now, you understand.
RedPillAger wrote:A. libertarianism is incoherent. (True)
B. it is no more incoherent than any other form of government. (True)
.'. all forms of government are incoherent.

now, you understand.

I have always understood. Large scale government is inherently incoherent. If I had my way, local governments would be enough. But that would require everyone in the world to respect everyone else's rights and laws. I understand that it is not feasible to have no government body, but I also understand that a large scale over reaching government is not the answer either. Being forced to comply with a government that wants everyone to be the same is simple communism. Communism is not really a dirty word even though this country has made people think so. The ideals of communism are well purposed if not manageable. The simple problem with the views that "everyone is the same" is that we aren't. Why does a person go to college for eight years? To make more money. If that person could not make more money, why would he go to school? Why should I create something that the government will force me to give away for free? What incentive do I have to do better if I will get money for doing basically nothing. Life will never be equal. You will always have people that have more than others around them. The base will always be larger than the top because that is just the way it is. A test you could hypothesize is this. Take 100 people and set them on an island with nothing. They will naturally set up a form of rule where one person decides things. That person will have more power than other people and end up having everything he needs taken care of. As time progresses and ownership of items and land become a real thing you will see the distinct difference between "the haves" and "have nots". You will see that people that have something to give to other people (whether it be property, work, ideas, or charisma) will end up with more than people who don't. Capitalism is the way the world is meant to work and it promotes growth within the community. The ideals of libertarianism are solid. Human rights and the right to do what you want to (very general) are a great thing to want. I think libertarianism is closer to making sense than any other forms of government because it truly will allow more people to actually have lives. A person will be responsible for their own destiny and must work for what they want. The hard truth that most libertarians wont admit is that adherence to common decency and not wanting to cause damage to other human beings is paramount to this government. Getting closer to libertarianism is something that will help the country. But as it is we keep moving closer and closer to socialism. How long before people just decide that it is easier not to work because they get taken care of anyways? Who's responsibility do those people become?
Libertarianism is not anarchism, it certainly isn't capitalism.

The fundamental principle is the freedom of each person to live their life as they choose so long as it doesn't interfere with the right of others to do the same.

Obviously, conflicting choices will exist. There will be a need to compromise, to consider the effect of our choices on others. There is no such thing as total freedom, libertarians are not naïve. However, the way in which these conflicts are to be resolved must be done as locally as possible in order to be effective and more appropriate to those involved.

Libertarians believe in government, but only to resolve the conflict referred to, in as small a capacity as possible, and as close to those effected as poossible.

Capitalism in it's present form is not really capitalism. Those who benefit from the unfair allocation of resources and wealth do so with the assistance of large corrupt federal government. They have the power to influence the creation of laws to their benefit. Remove this oversized and unnecessary government and you remove the monopolizing hold of these institutions.

True market competition, far more localized, and less government interference will make the distribution of wealth look far different than what you see now.

Libertarianism isn't a catalyst to greed, corruption, and misery. It is it's replacement.

I would advise anyone wishing to learn about libertarianism never to go beyond a dictionary. That is all you will ever need.

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O