Free markets, not so free minds. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
We recognize that the government is not our friend, yet many of us have overlooked the fact that unchecked accumulated wealth also isn't in our favor either
Reason10 wrote:How would you define "properly checked accumulated wealth?"

Wealth commensurate with contribution.
Where in your statist opinion is a legal MAXIMUM WAGE?

A wage obtained by production, not privilege.
Since when does a libertarian believe in CLASS ENVY?

Since when does a libertarian believe that opposition to privilege and injustice is nothing but class envy?
How would YOU regulate the money in politics as the self appointed king?

First, ban the use of public airwaves for privately funded political campaigns. Next, provide equal publicly funded media access to all candidates.
Our elections are bought out by lobbyists and PACs.

A lot of people are on welfare and their votes are bought by Democrats. And you want more of that.

A lot of rich people are getting richer off privilege and subsidies because they have bought Republicans. And you want more of that.

Rich, greedy takers get an order of magnitude more from government subsidies than the poor (roughly 40% of GDP vs 4%), and they number an order of magnitude fewer (1% vs 10%).
Why isn't marijuana legalized yet?

Did you ever consider that the country as a whole doesn't want it legalized?

Did you ever consider that they have been systematically deceived about it?
Why aren't there compromises on gun control?

Could be that pesky...uh...SECOND AMENDMENT. Funny how the Founding Fathers weren't really in the mood to compromise.

They compromised plenty. Slavery is just one obvious example.
Politicians are not free to make decisions without the consideration of whether lobbyists will drop their funding for a certain act. The fact is that the top are playing us for their benefit, and most of us have been going along with it.

When has that ever been any different?

It's worse now, obviously. Statistics show that rich, greedy takers have basically taken everything working people have earned over the last 30-40 years.
Why can't the government be re purposed to counteract the influence of the super wealthy?

Why is that any of your business?

Because the super wealthy are using government to rob me of what I have earned, so that they may get richer without earning it.
Shouldn't SuperPACs and campaign contributions be limited, since fair elections are a right?

No one ever said fair elections were a right. The Founding Fathers certainly never said that.

So, you agree with the Founding Fathers that only white male landowners should be allowed to vote....?

Somehow, I kinda figured it'd be something like that.
Why is net neutrality about to be abandoned, paving the way for the elite to destroy the last bastion of free speech?

You seem to be the one in this discussion wanting to curb the free speech of the achievers.

"Achievers" is just feudal libertarian code for, "rich, greedy takers, parasites and crooks."

Wealth is not contributed. It is created and EARNED.

ALL wages are obtained by production.
Since when does a libertarian believe that opposition to privilege and injustice is nothing but class envy?

Pretty much a direct Karl Marx quote, chapter and verse.
First, ban the use of public airwaves for privately funded political campaigns. Next, provide equal publicly funded media access to all candidates.

In other words, overturn the First Amendment.
A lot of rich people are getting richer off privilege and subsidies because they have bought Republicans. And you want more of that.

Actually, that's a fucking LIE. It's not even a smart one.
Rich, greedy takers get an order of magnitude more from government subsidies than the poor (roughly 40% of GDP vs 4%), and they number an order of magnitude fewer (1% vs 10%).

Bull fucking shit.

If this were 1930 and the entire country were suddenly rendered blind and could not read, perhaps. But it is not 1930 and we have this thing called the INTERNET. There is no excuse for having the wrong information. There is so much of it. Someone being deceived these days is a fucking idiot.

Slavery ended IN AMERICA after the Civil War.
Politicians are not free to make decisions without the consideration of whether lobbyists will drop their funding for a certain act. The fact is that the top are playing us for their benefit, and most of us have been going along with it

I would ask for some documentation for that lie, but there are PLENTY of idiotic left wing sites out there pretty much ready to document anything a liberal decides to harvest from his large lower intestine.
It's worse now, obviously. Statistics show that rich, greedy takers have basically taken everything working people have earned over the last 30-40 years.

There are no such statistics. ANYWHERE. Over the last 30-40 years, this country has become a MERITOCRACY. Capital always seeks the most productive sources.

Because the super wealthy are using government to rob me of what I have earned, so that they may get richer without earning it.

Show us what has been stolen from you. Produce PROOF. (By the way, STOLEN means money was taken from you ILLEGALLY)
\So, you agree with the Founding Fathers that only white male landowners should be allowed to vote....?

That's such a fucking ignorant LIE. Perhaps you should try READING the Constitution for a change. The RIGHT TO VOTE is not mentioned AT ALL, except in sections where there are limitations on the power of government concerning voting.
"Achievers" is just feudal libertarian code for, "rich, greedy takers, parasites and crooks.

Spoken like a true CLASS ENVY extremist left wing LIBERAL.
You're about as much a libertarian as Jeffrey Dahmer is a chef.
Seeking wealth for wealth's sake is a dangerous social pathology. The only way to properly deal with the power that wealth brings is not to destroy it, but to channel it for the benefit of the state. There really is no alternative.

The economy is too large, too complex, and too important to be entrusted to parasites like Murdoch or the Koch idiots, as the financial crisis clearly demonstrated. No economic activity of any importance should be left to the judgment of any one person. There is a pressing need for the government to step into the private sector and start calling the shots.

Reason10 wrote:ALL wages are obtained by production.

All productive work is paid, but not all pay comes from productive work.
Seeking wealth for wealth's sake is a dangerous social pathology. The only way to properly deal with the power that wealth brings is not to destroy it, but to channel it for the benefit of the state. There really is no alternative.

Ah yes. The Adolf Hitler model.
The economy is too large, too complex, and too important to be entrusted to parasites like Murdoch or the Koch idiots, as the financial crisis clearly demonstrated.

Excuse me, but when you have ACHIEVERS like Murdoch, Koch, Bill Gates, and other company owners creating businesses that employ BILLIONS OF PEOPLE, tell me again where you're getting the parasite angle. Your ENVY of these people is sickening.
No economic activity of any importance should be left to the judgment of any one person.

Then you should not be allowed to balance your checkbook without a government bureaucrat telling you what to do. George Soros should NOT be allowed to fund PMSNBC without the government forcing him to make that network fair and balanced like Fox.
There is a pressing need for the government to step into the private sector and start calling the shots.

Ah yes. The Adolf Hitler model.
Reason10 wrote:Excuse me, but when you have ACHIEVERS like Murdoch, Koch, Bill Gates, and other company owners creating businesses that employ BILLIONS OF PEOPLE, tell me again where you're getting the parasite angle.

Using ownership of employment opportunities that would otherwise be available for free to extort wealth from those seeking employment is not "employing" them, sorry.

If Koch did not exist, people would be at liberty to mine the ore he owns. He just says, "If you want to mine the ore, you have to do it on my terms. I get all the ore you mine, and in return I'll let you keep enough of what you produce to buy sufficient shelter, clothing, food, etc. to keep working."

Kindly explain how Koch is contributing anything to this production process. Explain how charging people for access to employment opportunities that would otherwise be available means you are providing them with something, rather than just taking something away from them that they would otherwise have.

More to the point, kindly answer The Question:

"How, exactly, is production aided by the landowner's demand that the producer pay HIM for what government, the community, and nature provide?"

Thought not.
Your ENVY of these people is sickening.

The most grotesque, sickening evil any human being can commit is to accuse those who oppose injustice of envy for its beneficiaries. There is nothing anyone can do that is more foul, vicious, and despicable.
George Soros should NOT be allowed to fund PMSNBC without the government forcing him to make that network fair and balanced like Fox.

Studies have established that Fox viewers -- like you, apparently -- are less informed about the news than people who get no news at all.

Reason10 wrote:Wealth is not contributed. It is created and EARNED.

That is very much the point: it is created BY those who contribute to its creation, and is only ever earned by commensurate contribution to its creation. The problem is that those who get it are typically not those who earned it by said contributions.

ALL wages are obtained by production.

No, that's just more false and stupid garbage from you. When rich, greedy, evil banksters gamble with other people's money and take the winnings for themselves, while sticking the taxpayer with the losses, that is not production.

Pretty much a direct Karl Marx quote, chapter and verse.

I'm guessing you have never held a book by Karl Marx in your hands.

In other words, overturn the First Amendment.

No, that's just more stupid, dishonest garbage from you. Kindly show where the First Amendment requires opening public airwaves to all private uses (this will be news to the FCC), or prohibits public funding of election campaigns.

Actually, that's a fucking LIE. It's not even a smart one.

It is the truth, as proved by your hilarious claim that the extraordinary increase in concentration of wealth and income over the last 40 years represents a turn to "meritocracy."

Bull fucking shit.

Fact. Landowners take approximately 20% of GDP in rents. Banksters take roughly 10% in interest (on debt money they have been privileged to create). IP owners take about 10% in economic rents, half of it in the medical field. All federal, state, and local poverty relief programs combined are less than4% of GDP.

If this were 1930 and the entire country were suddenly rendered blind and could not read, perhaps. But it is not 1930 and we have this thing called the INTERNET. There is no excuse for having the wrong information.

The Internet is full of wrong information, much of it placed there deliberately by hired shills for the privileged.
Someone being deceived these days is a fucking idiot.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It is easy to be deceived, but it takes intelligence and persistence to gain accurate understanding.

Slavery ended IN AMERICA after the Civil War.

Decades after all the Founding Fathers were dead. And slavery has now returned to America in the form of prison labor.

There are no such statistics. ANYWHERE.

Now you are just insulting your readers' intelligence. Here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/95-of-in ... ans-2013-9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_ine ... 7-2009.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_ine ... income.png
Over the last 30-40 years, this country has become a MERITOCRACY.

I see. So, when Richard Fuld took $300M from Lehman just before it went broke, that was a measure of his merit?

Capital always seeks the most productive sources.

No, it seeks the most profitable avenues. That is why so much capital is invested in idle land.

Show us what has been stolen from you.

My liberty to access the advantages government, the community and nature provide at privately owned locations, for one. My liberty to use and reproduce ideas and information, for another. My liberty to deal with my fellow citizens using a medium of exchange that does not yield interest to greedy, idle banksters, for yet another.
Produce PROOF. (By the way, STOLEN means money was taken from you ILLEGALLY)

No, because we are talking specifically about legalized stealing sanctioned by government at the thieves' behest.
So, you agree with the Founding Fathers that only white male landowners should be allowed to vote....?

[/quote]
That's such a fucking ignorant LIE.

No, it is a fact, and you know it.
Perhaps you should try READING the Constitution for a change. The RIGHT TO VOTE is not mentioned AT ALL, except in sections where there are limitations on the power of government concerning voting.

I've read the Constitution, thanks. I've also, unlike you, read "A People's History of the United States." The early US franchise was restricted to male landowners, and effectively to white ones.
"Achievers" is just feudal libertarian code for, "rich, greedy takers, parasites and crooks."

Spoken like a true CLASS ENVY extremist left wing LIBERAL.

The most evil act any human being can commit is to accuse those who oppose injustice of envy for its beneficiaries.
You're about as much a libertarian as Jeffrey Dahmer is a chef.

I am a real libertarian because unlike feudal "libertarians" like you, I actually believe in liberty, and know what it is.

So far, lots of good comments and anecdotes - but […]

I bet you'd love to watch footage of her being ra[…]

I don't really think there is a fundamental diffe[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is because the definition of "anti-semi[…]