Does unprovoked murder previously consented to by contract violate the non-aggression principle? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:But wouldn't that mean that Christians have to be okay with others having abortions on their own property?

Think of someone's property as their own nation, that helps. Pagan nations do all kinds of evil shit, that doesn't mean we just arbitrarily invade them. We're not Muslims, we invade for reason of retaliation and our faith is not spread by the sword, but by the Word. The same goes for what goes on in someone else's land (property).

Missus V. Spolia. wrote:Also, why would slavery be wrong? If you own them you own them.

Slavery isn't wrong, you know I don't believe that, but there is a voluntarist aspect to it, in that if you own a slave, it must be contractual with the slave if the slave has the ability to consent, though I would say his children belong to you if had while under contract. War prisoners made into slaves, or debtors made into slaves are different as their slavery is a reparation for some sort of damage done. Basically, my position on slavery would be that the evil darwinist notion that became prevalent in the South should have been reformed along Old Testament or Greco-Roman lines.
SolarCross wrote:Alone of all ideologists Christians came down against the chattel slavery of humans. Christianity rejected the idea that someone can sell themselves into slavery. Ancap logic exactly like pagan logic has no way to reject it. This is a big difference.

This a bad argument, Christians tolerated and permitted slavery for MOST of their history, it was until late 18th and early 19th century liberalism started to poison orthodoxy that they took that anti-biblical abolitionist position, see my response to my wife above where the position is explained.

Just read Dabney and Thornwell's debates with northern abolitionists if you want to see a theological ass-whooping.

SolarCross wrote:It's not overblown at all, I was understating it if anything.

I hate to make an appeal to authority, which I admit is a fallacy, but I find your condescending insistence on this against someone who spent his whole life studying theology in preparation for the Ministry to be almost shocking. I assure you, if anyone would know if that doctrine was used in the way you are using it, it would be me my friend.

If you feel the doctrine has such implications, then I would ask you how you explain the texts I provided and for you to likewise provide texts in favor of your position, but I really don't think you are as knowledgable in scriptural and theological debate as you are currently posturing. Perhaps I am wrong, but that would have been a quick change from when you asked PoFo to "unheathen you." :eh:

SolarCross wrote:I don't find it particularly obvious in this case that it is reasonable for the billionaire to safely assume that the lottery loser has the right to sell his heart. Given the seriousness of the consequences of making a false assumption he should really not be surprised if he faces murder charges.

Well, that means the billionaire was foolish for making the contract in the first place, but that doesn't contradict my point that it is not a violation of the NAP unless evidence is actively presented that the man was owned by someone else.

SolarCross wrote:I was always a pretty shallow ancap and I never read that much but here on pofo many moons ago I was presented with an argument by Hans Hoppe that the non-aggression principle was something like a natural law which I debunked in seconds flat. I don't think that's a huge issue mind because as I said the NAP is just fine as normative thing anyway. I think my problem is that the NAP as a norm ultimately rests on "might is right" to work which is okay but I never saw an ancap demonstrate awareness of that.

Well, I hope to use Hoppe's argument against Potemkin if he ever gets back around to our debate! However, I have found it quite solid, if you have a critique of it that I should be made aware of, PLEASE let me know.

Otherwise, help me to understand your point on the might-makes-right assumption you see as underlying the NAP and why you think its a problem. I am genuinely curious.

SolarCross wrote:I think in a way you are like Annatar's parallel. He is trying to tie communism into Christianity as if Christianity isn't good enough on its own and despite the fact that communism is fundamentally atheist or even satanic. You are trying to tie Anarcho-Capitalism into Christianity as if Christianity wasn't good enough on its own and despite the fact that anarcho-capitalism is fundamentally atheist or even pagan.

Ouch. As a Theonomic and presuppositional Christian I find this incredibly insulting; however, I know you don't mean it that way. :lol:

I think my political changes are driven by scripture, not the other way around. What reason would I have to go into AnCap thought from Imperialism otherwise? I mean, Imperialism is more edgy and therefore more appealing for a contrarian like me after all....

An interesting note on the Annatari analogy though, Annatari is the only one on this forum who knows my real identity (other than my wife), we are true friends, and he himself has now renounced communism and now considers himself a variety of Ancap.

So perhaps you should not be so quick to dismiss my claim that Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the Christian worldview.

In any event, I do think you should come join us, in both regards. Come back to the True Faith and the Only System of True Liberty!

We could have our own kick-ass PoFo faction! :lol:

:excited:
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Think of someone's property as their own nation, that helps. Pagan nations do all kinds of evil shit, that doesn't mean we just arbitrarily invade them. We're not Muslims, we invade for reason of retaliation and our faith is not spread by the sword, but by the Word. The same goes for what goes on in someone else's land (property).

So we should just corner the markets on trade to "force" them into attacking us, and then we can go in and wipe out their wicked religion and set up missions.

:excited:

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Slavery isn't wrong, you know I don't believe that, but there is a voluntarist aspect to it, in that if you own a slave, it must be contractual with the slave if the slave has the ability to consent, though I would say his children belong to you if had while under contract. War prisoners made into slaves, or debtors made into slaves are different as their slavery is a reparation for some sort of damage done. Basically, my position on slavery would be that the evil darwinist notion that became prevalent in the South should have been reformed along Old Testament or Greco-Roman lines.

Got it. Thanks.
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:So we should just corner the markets on trade to "force" them into attacking us, and then we can go in and wipe out their wicked religion and set up missions.

Yup. Perfectly acceptable scenario.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:This a bad argument, Christians tolerated and permitted slavery for MOST of their history, it was until late 18th and early 19th century liberalism started to poison orthodoxy that they took that anti-biblical abolitionist position, see my response to my wife above where the position is explained.

Just read Dabney and Thornwell's debates with northern abolitionists if you want to see a theological ass-whooping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... l_timeline

Not in Europe, Christians (though I guess they are not the only ones, I was wrong about that) have been working against slavery for at least a thousand years. The abolitionists of North America were following a precedent already set in Europe since at least the 7th century. The so-called Christians of the colonies were backsliding in that regard.

Consider the case of Somerset v Stewart in 1772. The judges took into account over 800 years of legal precedent and could find no basis at all for one man to own another in English (Christianity inspired and guided) Common Law. You will note that this case reaffirmed the criminality of enslavement just four years before the US declaration of independence. The ugly truth of the American revolt was that the real motive was to preserve slavery from Common Law precedent.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:I hate to make an appeal to authority, which I admit is a fallacy, but I find your condescending insistence on this against someone who spent his whole life studying theology in preparation for the Ministry to be almost shocking. I assure you, if anyone would know if that doctrine was used in the way you are using it, it would be me my friend.

If you feel the doctrine has such implications, then I would ask you how you explain the texts I provided and for you to likewise provide texts in favor of your position, but I really don't think you are as knowledgable in scriptural and theological debate as you are currently posturing. Perhaps I am wrong, but that would have been a quick change from when you asked PoFo to "unheathen you." :eh:

It is not my intention to be condescending, respectfully I just disagree. I'll admit I am not a bible scholar but European history for the past 2000 years seems to back me up, though perhaps the scripture is on your side. It seems out of character for Jesus to endorse slavery but what do I know? Early popes held it to be sin because man was made in the image of god unlike other animals, humans are supposed to be treated differently than animals. Ultimately this is why colonial slavers only slaved black people, while pre-christian europeans would enslave anyone, the colonials thought they could get around the Christian prohibition on slavery by claiming that black people, because of their different appearance, weren't fully human so the prohibition didn't apply.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Well, that means the billionaire was foolish for making the contract in the first place, but that doesn't contradict my point that it is not a violation of the NAP unless evidence is actively presented that the man was owned by someone else.

For a Christian that someone would be God, and since that God commanded "thou shalt not murder" it is an entirely a reasonable assumption that He would not consent to this contract.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Well, I hope to use Hoppe's argument against Potemkin if he ever gets back around to our debate! However, I have found it quite solid, if you have a critique of it that I should be made aware of, PLEASE let me know.

I have found the original post I made on it when I first heard of argumentation ethics.

viewtopic.php?p=14203187#p14203187

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Otherwise, help me to understand your point on the might-makes-right assumption you see as underlying the NAP and why you think its a problem. I am genuinely curious.

Might makes right underlies everything including the NAP because only winners make the rules, losers decide nothing. I wouldn't say its a huge issue but the lack of awareness of this causes them to have some warped expectations, so for example they go on and on about how the government is a violator of the NAP, but the truth is that it is government actually enables the NAP to be a norm for weak civilian people through the government's self-restraint and positive enforcement. The NAP does not and cannot exist in the state of nature only within protected territory and only for so long as it is protected, it depends on might to have any chance of existing.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Ouch. As a Theonomic and presuppositional Christian I find this incredibly insulting; however, I know you don't mean it that way. :lol:

I think my political changes are driven by scripture, not the other way around. What reason would I have to go into AnCap thought from Imperialism otherwise? I mean, Imperialism is more edgy and therefore more appealing for a contrarian like me after all....

I am sure you try to square your political fads with scripture but why cast outside of your Christian scripture at all? Why not just be a Christian theocrat? I put it to you that ideology is just a synonym for religion, a political ideology is a set of ideas on:

- how the world is
- how we ought to act in this world
And the second rests upon the foundation of the first.

Well a religion is just exactly this too. That being the case then being a Christian Ancap or Christian Communist is as comparably contradictory a syncretism as being a Christian Hindu or an Islamic Buddhist. I don't say that is necessarily impossible because Christianity itself might be fairly thought of as a syncretism of Judaism and Hellenic paganism, sometimes syncretisms work out, but it is as well to be aware of what you are doing framing yourself by two completely different ideologies, this is especially true when the fundamental assumptions of the two ideologies are profoundly different. Ancaps arrive at a few "oughts" which coincide with Christianity's "oughts" but the underlying "is" is really profoundly different and that will lead to some very different "oughts". Where do you think ancap's basically atheistic assumptions and ideas of self-ownership can logically arrive on the "oughts" for homosexuality, drug use, prostitution etc? Mainstream ancaps don't see anything wrong in any of those things, they believe it is the individual's choice what they can do with their own biological property, but for Christians they are prosecutable sins exactly because they don't assume self-ownership but believe that mankind is God's property and thus subject to God's choices. If the Ancaps were ever to turn their NAP logic on your God and his ten commandments I am sure they would be inclined to process him as an even worse NAP violator than statist governments because at least you can negotiate norm changes with statists and the main reason the ancaps don't do this is because they don't even believe in His existence. You may be able to ally with ancaps where your interests coincide such as on privatised healthcare and education but being one at the same time as being a Christian is a contradiction.
SolarCross wrote:Not in Europe, Christians (though I guess they are not the only ones, I was wrong about that) have been working against slavery for at least a thousand years. The abolitionists of North America were following a precedent already set in Europe since at least the 7th century. The so-called Christians of the colonies were backsliding in that regard.

I have no disagreement with the point that chattel slavery is and was opposed to Christianity, but the idea of being in bondage was never opposed by Christianity, serfdom is a voluntarist and contractual form of slavery, even the word "serf" implies this meaning. The idea of slaves obeying their masters, in the New Testament (Ephesians 6 etc.), was applied to serfs in Europe, so the idea that slavery was opposed after the seventh century be European Christendom is disingenuous, Christianity has opposed the sort of chattel slavery as taught by the Saracens, but it never opposed a contractual voluntarist conception of slavery or indentured servitude. This was precisely my point to my wife regarding Scripture's teaching on the matter and this is technically also the only sort of slavery permitted by Anarcho-Capitalism as well, The idea of chattel slavery is not consistent with the Voluntarism of Anarcho-Capitalism either.

An-Cap and Scriptural thought on slavery are hard to differentiate at all.

EDIT: Also, as my wife mentioned in another thread, here is a Christian attempt at slavery reform (note, its not abolition, but is theologically regulated): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Noir

SolarCross wrote:Consider the case of Somerset v Stewart in 1772. The judges took into account over 800 years of legal precedent and could find no basis at all for one man to own another in English (Christianity inspired and guided) Common Law. You will note that this case reaffirmed the criminality of enslavement just four years before the US declaration of independence. The ugly truth of the American revolt was to that the real motive was to preserve slavery from Common Law precedent.

Once again, the case you site only reinforces my point that the abolitionist attitutude was a liberal innovation in the 18th and 19th centuries. NOTE: I am not saying opposition to chattel slavery was unorthodox, I am saying abolitionism was unorthodox. Even the defenders of the states rights to have slaves by Confederate apologists still admitted the need to reform chattel slavery to more closely resemble biblical guidelines. Chattel slavery is wrong according to Christianity and Anarcho-Capitalism, but slavery itself is not.

SolarCross wrote:For a Christian that someone would be God, and since that God commanded "thou shalt not murder" it is an entirely a reasonable assumption that He would not consent to this contract.

Obviously, but in my example the billionaire is not a Christian. Like I said, there is no disagreement that such a contract would be impossible or automatically invalid if all parties shared a Christian worldview. There is no disagreement on that point.

SolarCross wrote:I have found the original post I made on it when I first heard of argumentation ethics.

Thanks for digging this up! From 2013 no less! I would say that your critique was valid assuming that the main presentation of argumentation ethics was the praxeological one, rather than the axiomatic one, I don't use the one you critiqued. If Potemkin ever responds to my post, you will witness a whole different animal. ;)

SolarCross wrote:for example they go on and on about how the government is a violator of the NAP, but the truth is that it is government which basically enables the NAP to be a norm for weak civilian people through the government's self-restraint and positive enforcement. The NAP does not and cannot exist in the state of nature only within protected territory and only for so long as it is protected, it depends on might to have any chance of existing.

:eek:

Egads!!!

That is the Marxist explanation of history.

*feels suddenly ill that his friend SolarCross used a Marxist argument*

:x :x :x

*Throws up, feels a bit better, decides to continue...*

Okay,

First of all, That is all horse shit.

That the strong desire to dominate the weak is not denied, but you assert this as incompatible with the NAP because the NAP could not exist given "might makes right" attitudes. This is simply untrue.

AnCaps are under no delusions that in a stateless society there will be actors who desire to violate the NAP, kill people and take their property. That is absurd.

AnCaps see the NAP as part-and-parcel of one's rational deducible right to appropriate something for themselves as property if unclaimed. The truth of this has nothing to do with whether people are violent or aggressive, they are.

The question is whether society can be stable without a state, the answer is yes, and in spite of people tending towards might-makes-right attitudes and for the same reasons the cold war did not end in a nuclear holocaust. The risk of mutually assured destruction.

People are most violence in a state of chaos, after a collapse like Rome's fall, but once things settle people end up realigning themselves with a natural order of land holders "haves" and peasants "have-nots." It is as much a state of nature that people want to dominate others as they don't want to be dominated, the fear of the latter as a "risk" will often temper their desire to aggressively pursue the former. This is why those societies that most closely approximate the An-Cap ideal were the longest lasting, such a Medieval-Renaissance Europe, Japanese Feudalism et al. It is natural and the balance of desire-to-dominate, and fear-of-domination, create a natural and generally peaceful balance.

The existence of a common-moral and religious system is what enables such an order to "Work" as contracts must have a common moral "language."

The decline of a common-moral and religious system is what eventually leads to statism, but statism is not necessary for the NAP, that misunderstands what the NAP is, the NAP is a right deduced from reason that people tend to observe naturally once the risk of mutually assured destruction forces them to temper their own "might-makes-right" ambitions.

Like I said, the fact that men fear death as much as they desire to kill is what makes the NAP work, not the State.

SolarCross wrote:I am sure you try to square your political fads with scripture but why cast outside of your Christian scripture at all? Why not just be a Christian theocrat? I put it to you that ideology is just a synonym for religion, a political ideology is a set of ideas on:

- how the world is
- how we ought to act in this world
And the second rests upon the foundation of the first.

Dafuq bro? :lol:

First, I am not casting Scripture aside or trying to make religion comport to what I want politically, that is a slanderous claim. A bit below the belt if I do say. But I don't mind a bit of abuse from my frands. :lol:

Lets be clear, I am making the claim that an AnCap political system is demanded by Scripture. But once again, Ancap political views have only to do, for me, with what constitutes a valid form of governance, contracts, and theory of property.

1. Scripture teaches that basically any mutual-consented voluntarist contract is binding, even if they are immoral.

So do Ancaps.

2. Scripture sees the head of one's household and property as the only divinely instituted form of governance.

So do Ancaps.

3. Scripture sees land as belonging to the one who appropriated it, purchased, or justly acquired it.

So do Ancaps.

4. Scripture teaches that the only form of violence (excepting some special and extraordinary command from God on High), is the Just War Theory, which is basically the NAP.

Which is essentially Ancap.

Everything else is a difference of moral-system, so I will say this. Ancaps act like consistent Christians, so if you want me to call myself a Christian theocrat instead of an Ancap, thats fine, but on all the most defining aspect of Ancap political ideaology, Christianity agrees.

So, its not that I am trying to act like an AnCap, Ancaps are trying to act like Medieval Christians. :lol:

SolarCross wrote:Ancaps arrive at a few "oughts" which coincide with Christianity's "oughts" but the underlying "is" is really profoundly different and that will lead to some very different "oughts". Where do you think ancap's basically atheistic assumptions and ideas of self-ownership can logically arrive on the "oughts" for homosexuality, drug use, prostitution etc? Mainstream ancaps don't see anything wrong in any of those things, its the individual's choice what they can do with their own biological property, but for Christians they are prosecutable sins exactly because they don't assume self-ownership but believe that mankind is God's property and thus subject to God's choices.

You are seeing a conflict where non exists. Ancaps are right-libertarians in the sense that they would argue that the Praxeological conditions of a stateless society will yield, by necessity, conservative social values. Hence, Ancaps arguing that homosexuality is not to be prosecuted with a state only reflects their opposition to the state; however, Hoppe himself argues that homosexuality itself is only prevalent because of high time preferences due to statism and that it would not last under stateless conditions (nor would any other decadent lifestyles); likewise, a property owner (according to Hoppe) has every right to expel homosexuals from his property ( :eek: ).

You must understand, in the Old Testament, the system of "theonomy" where homosexuals, adulterers, horse-fuckers, blasphemers, etc. were punished with death, all occurred under Ancap conditions as directly prescribed by God, the era of the Judges. In this system, authority to carry out the penology of this common-law code, was incumbent upon individual property owners over their own kindred on their own lands.

So, there was no "state" as a third-party monopolist of coercion when God first instituted his strictest laws and peneology and when the people wanted to adopt a "monarchy" God warned them against doing so through the Prophet Samuel because it was rejection of God ruling directly through His ministers (which had a similar role to the Pope in Feudal Europe) and because of its "aggressive" enforcement of things like taxation and conscription. (a classical Ancap argument, coming straight from God Himself).

To be Theocratic my friend, is to be Anarcho-Capitalist according to Scripture.

To trade this condition for a state, is to reject the direct rule of God through his ministers, where the authority of the enforcing the covenant is given to heads of households over their own property.

SolarCross wrote:You may be able to ally with ancaps where your interests coincide such as on privatised healthcare and education but being one at the same time as being a christian is a contradiction.

Secular Ancaps are like any inconsistent nihilists, reality will correct them or "thin them out" when the proper time comes. Consistent Anarcho-Capitalism has no real similarity with western decadence, that is a caricature, not the reality and anyone who has read Hoppe knows this already.

Come home my friend. We need you for the Next Crusade.

;)
Last edited by Victoribus Spolia on 20 Jul 2018 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
YES @SolarCross, we must take Jerusalem from the jews and muslims.

God Wills It.

Besides, they took it from us first, we just need to get it back (no NAP violations necessary) ;)
Commie nonsense.

That would mean if you live on a desert island, with no government @B0ycey, you could not engage in free exchange with another castaway. :roll:

Because if there is no binding contract outside of government, there cannot be free-exchange without government, which is absurd.
If you are on a desert island with only one other person, things like “contracts” make no sense.

Contracts are about clarifying and finalising agreements in a legalistic framework. Two people on an island have no legalistic framework for the contract.
If you give a man a coconut and he refuses to give you a fish per your agreement, you take a different coconut and bash his head in.

That is how contracts are still binding. :)
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Commie nonsense.

That would mean if you live on a desert island, with no government @B0ycey, you could not engage in free exchange with another castaway. :roll:

Because if there is no binding contract outside of government, there cannot be free-exchange without government, which is absurd.

If you are on a desert island and that island is not assigned to a social contract (so not part of a sovereign state), there are no laws to make the contract binding. :roll:

So whether you fulfil the contract or not, is irrelevant here. You are living under the state of nature for christ sakes. But under a social contract, a contract is only valid if it is legally binding. That is, not breaking the law.
B0ycey wrote:If you are on a desert island and that island is not assigned to a social contract (so not part of a sovereign state), there are no laws to make the contract binding.

So whether you fulfil the contract or not, is irrelevant here. You are living under the state of nature for christ sakes. But under a social contract, a contract is only valid if it is legally binding. That is, not breaking the law.

Then where did the social contract come from?

How can it be a binding contract when it was not created and enforced by a prior state?
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Then where did the social contract come from?

How can it be a binding contract when it was not created and enforced by a prior state?

What do you mean, where did it come from? The state. Who is the state on a desert island where the inhabitants consist of a man with heart problems and someone else with a coconut? And without laws, a contract is not valid. Its just an agreement that can be broken if you have the biggest coconut.

But I have some faith in you that you know something about law and order and the system to not be confused here nonetheless.
Last edited by B0ycey on 20 Jul 2018 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
B0ycey wrote:What do you mean, where did it come from? The state.

The social contract came from the social contract? that is a circular argument.

If the state is social contract, and contracts can only come from states, then how could the social contract have formed in the first place from a condition of statelessness?

:eh:

B0ycey wrote:Its just an agreement that can be broken if you have the biggest coconut.

Correct, but its still an agreement/contract. It doesn't cease to be so just because you violate it, anymore than a contract today is not a contract because the state decides to violate it.

You didn't answer my question about marriage, how could marriages have existed prior to the state? Because historically speaking, marriages were socially recognized as binding contracts long before states got involved in them.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Contracts are about clarifying and finalising agreements in a legalistic framework.

Thats begging the question, you are assuming what has yet to be proven, that contracts as agreements require a state.

Any inter-personal trade done, without government mediation, is the execution of a contract. An agreement, compact, covenant, etc.

This is why gangsters still can make deals with each other, they are still contracts, but their enforcement is dependent on their own initiative rather than with a third party.

Make a Coke deal with a mobster and refuse to pay him and say that because no state was involved that you don't have to pay him and see how that goes for you. :lol:
Victoribus Spolia wrote:The social contract came from the social contract? that is a circular argument.

What are you talking about. A social contract are liberties you give up for the protections a society gives you. Those protections are today written laws. Without laws you are living under the state of nature, and under such a system you would just kill for a new heart rather than write out a bloody contract to get one.

Correct, but its still an agreement/contract. It doesn't cease to be so just because you violate it, anymore than a contract today is not a contract because the state decides to violate it.

You need to read your definitions. No wonder you're fixated on new definitions. A contract is an agreement in law. Without the law it is just an agreement.

You didn't answer my question about marriage, how could marriages have existed prior to the state? Because historically speaking, marriages were socially recognized as binding contracts long before states got involved in them.

Marriage prior to laws was just a promise to God. That is how they existed. :roll:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be also[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]