Liberalism vs Functionalism (Neo-liberalism and Neo-Functionalism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Well for me an example of a functionalist analysis would be 9/11 conspiracy theories. The function they perform is to protect Islam. They allow anti establishment radicals to work to support the establishment. Functionalism is about understanding the stability of the system. So 9/11 conspiracy theories superficially seem threatening, destabilising and disruptive, while in reality, they are the opposite. Note lefties often like to accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist, when they're not accusing me of being a retard and know-nothing, or drawing attention to me, by telling every one that they're ignoring me. :lol:

But in fact I'm the opposite of a conspiracy theorist. I don't doubt that the vast majority of 9/11 truthers are totally genuine, I don't think they're all in some giant secret conspiracy to back up the establishment. Any more than I think that there's some giant secret Jewish supremacist conspiratorial network that instructs their members what to do, think and say. No absolutely not. Jewish supremacism is so effective precisely because its not a conspiracy. Many Jewish supremacists are genuinely horrified by Benjamin Netanyahu and I don't doubt that Netanyahu's contempt for his fellow Jewish supremacists is also entirely genuine. Many Jewish supremacists are deeply, deeply uncomfortable with the actions of Priti Patel, the more so that she was clearly acting on the orders of the British Hilary Clinton (aka Theresa May).

So functionalism is understanding how extreme Judophillia and extreme Islamophillia support and stabilise the system, the establishment and the status Quo when superficially they may seem, threatening, destabilising and disruptive. How BDSM (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions Movement) supports the maintenance of our Saudi - Israel foreign policy.
Last edited by Rich on 12 Nov 2017 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Oxymandias wrote:@Decky

Actually I would like to seriously know, what is functionalism? I can't seem to find any good amount of information on it.

Really? Open any sociology text book. I recall a great deal of the A level is devoted to it. Its main thinker is a guy called Talcot Parsons, a yank if I recal correctly. Maybe you should invest in his books. Functionalism is all right wing bollcoks so I think you would like it.
@Decky

Oh you mean structural functionalism! Yes I am aware of it and I kind of disagree with it since I'm more of a Actor-network theory or social constructionist sort of guy.

I think it's wrong to say that structural functionalism is right wing, it's just that some alt-right groups read the first page of some Robert Merton or Herbert Spencer and think that they know everything about structural functionalism and apply the small amount of knowledge they do have about it to everything they think of or see.
Rich wrote:Well for me an example of a functionalist analysis would be 9/11 conspiracy theories. The function they perform is to protect Islam. They allow anti establishment radicals to work to support the establishment. Functionalism is about understanding the stability of the system. So 9/11 conspiracy theories superficially seem threatening, destabilising and disruptive, while in reality, they are the opposite. Note lefties often like to accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist, when they're not accusing me of being a retard and know-nothing, or drawing attention to me, by telling every one that they're ignoring me. :lol:

But in fact I'm the opposite of a conspiracy theorist. I don't doubt that the vast majority of 9/11 truthers are totally genuine, I don't think they're all in some giant secret conspiracy to back up the establishment. Any more than I think that there's some giant secret Jewish supremacist conspiratorial network that instructs their members what to do, think and say. No absolutely not. Jewish supremacism is so effective precisely because its not a conspiracy. Many Jewish supremacists are genuinely horrified by Benjamin Netanyahu and I don't doubt that Netanyahu's contempt for his fellow Jewish supremacists is also entirely genuine. Many Jewish supremacists are deeply, deeply uncomfortable with the actions of Priti Patel, the more so that she was clearly acting on the orders of the British Hilary Clinton (aka Theresa May).

So functionalism is understanding how extreme Judophillia and extreme Islamophillia support and stabilise the system, the establishment and the status Quo when superficially they may seem, threatening, destabilising and disruptive. How BDSM (Boycott, Divest, Sanctions Movement) supports the maintenance of our Saudi - Israel foreign policy.

You've completely misunderstood functionalism.
@Saeko

Just ignore him, it saves you the mental gymnastics. I cannot even comprehend how infuriated you must be at @Rich's post (which doesn't even explain functionalism at all and simply is Rich evangelically spreading his incoherent dogma) given that you are a fascist and fascism as a whole is basically a reinterpretation of functionalism (I think? I hope you can correct me on this). In my view fascism seems to be sociology as politics. In fascism the state not only represents society, but is society and so fascism combines society with the state in a much more extreme way. In previous societies, government was only influenced by culture and society whereas in an ideal fascist state, culture and society are the state and are represented by the state. So when people serve the state, they are actually serving society and their culture which is exactly what leads to fascism collectivist nature.

Am I right or wrong?

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]