Libertarians and taxes - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By SpiderMonkey
Daovonnaex mentioned on the UK forums he 'dodges' income tax, and I assume this is motivated by ideolgy rather than common or garden greed.

So, how many of you libertarians pay taxes, and if you dont how do you keep the authorities off your back? If you do, is it out of fear of the consequences or do you believe it would be wrong not to pay taxes whilst everybody else still is?
By smashthestate
I pay my taxes only because of the consequences of not paying them. Anyway, that doesn't really matter anyway, because I would voluntarily pay taxes to the government even if there was no penalty for not doing so. I probably wouldn't give them half of all my income, but probably more like 15-25% of it.
By Garibaldi
Eh, I don't work so I don't pay taxes. I just wish the government had Welfare for people under 18.
SpiderMonkey wrote:Daovonnaex mentioned on the UK forums he 'dodges' income tax, and I assume this is motivated by ideolgy rather than common or garden greed.

So, how many of you libertarians pay taxes, and if you dont how do you keep the authorities off your back? If you do, is it out of fear of the consequences or do you believe it would be wrong not to pay taxes whilst everybody else still is?

Well, it's a little of both, SpiderMonkey. While a primary motivation is that I'm highly uncomfortable with my tax dollars financing war abroad and despotism at home, the fact of the matter is, I don't make a lot of money, and I need to save money, or I won't be able to afford college (I'm going to start in fall of 2005). I didn't register for the draft (ideological reasons), so I'm not eligible for government aid for college, and college is very expensive (thanks to the government created cartel of accreditation).

I keep the authorities off my back by being a contract worker, self-employed, and by having myriad corporations abroad (Jersey, Gibraltar, Lichtenstein, Bermuda, etc.).
By Noumenon
I don't make very much (I'm a college student), so I don't pay much in taxes anyway. The amount I pay is probably about the amount I would give to the government if we had a voluntary donation system. My objection is that it is done without my consent.
By Garibaldi
Dao, you're profile says you live in Wisconsin but it is sounding like you live in Britain. Where do you live? And yeah, college is gonna suck. I'm going there after this next year, still got my senior year. I'm gonna make it easier by going through the military and looking for some scholarships, what about you?
By Comrade Ogilvy
I live in Wisconsin--I just happen to post on the UK politics forum, because I enjoy studying Britain and conversing with Britons.

I'm saving up as much money as possible so I can pay my own way (with a little help from my dad, I hope).
By Comrade Ogilvy
I'm a libertarian and I pay tax, largely because I value my liberty and don't wish to be sent to prison for not doing so.

If I had my way though, the level of taxation would be greatly lessened. Taxation is theft after all!
By the new state
I pay mytaxes...every paycheck I see how they stole money for income tax, social security, and healthcare(even though I get free healthcare, god bless army benefits!)

social security I won't see when I'm 60, and I get paid shit, why the hell should I have to give up money because of it?

healthcare...why is government in healthcare? GOOD QUESTION!
By Napuljun
Garibaldi wrote:Eh, I don't work so I don't pay taxes. I just wish the government had Welfare for people under 18.

In our country when entering college or university the government gives you 100 pounds to buy books and every three months gives you a stipend of 100 pounds. Sorry foriegners do not have these priveldges :p
BRICS will fail

BRICS involves one of several configurations emplo[…]

So you do justify October 7, but as I said lack th[…]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]