'A Message to Our American Friends' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A Message to Our American Friends
From Members of the European Parliament who visited Iraq

Who is a friend? Someone who follows you without asking questions when you are on a dangerous course? No. A friend is someone who warns you and tries everything to prevent you from making serious mistakes. Old Europe is a friend of the American people. Our hearts are with September 11 families. We are united in the fight against terrorist actions.

Some days ago, in Europe as well as many other countries including the United States, millions of people took to the streets expressing their resistance to a military solution of the Iraq crisis. 'War is not the answer' was their message. Old Europe knows about the costs of war: innocent civilian victims women, children, humanitarian catastrophe, fueling hate and possibly years and years of unstable political situations all over the region, not to mention billions of dollars for humanitarian aid and reconstruction. Don't we possess other means to solve a crisis in the 21st century?

The international community is united behind the goal to disarm Saddam Hussein's regime. The UN gave to the weapons inspectors the necessary rights and material conditions to verify Iraq's compliance or non-compliance with the UN resolutions, and to destroy prohibited weapons. As long as the UN inspectors are in the country, Iraq cannot produce, acquire, deliver or use weapons of mass destruction. The costs of the inspections are paid through the 'Oil for Food' program. Why wouldn't we give the inspectors the time, the hardware and manpower they need to fulfill their task?

Europe has learned the hard way: Conflicts won't be solved through military aggression or what is now termed a pre-emptive military strike. Use of force produces use of force. The victims are always innocent people on both sides. We know that many in the U.S. have learned similar lessons.Every day we can see this in the Middle East. It's time to learn from this experience.

For the last 25 years, Iraqis have lived under conditions of war and sanctions. When you visit the country, you see poverty, destruction, misery, diseases, and above all a feeling of humiliation. Twelve years of sanctions have destroyed what was not destroyed during years of war. A whole generation has never experienced a normal life. People are dependent on food rations. Fifty percent of Iraqi children are undernourished. The majority of pregnant woman are anemic. 5 million people have no access to clean water. 20% of basic medicines are on the embargo list. Hospitals and schools are in a state of dilapidation. Imagine what a war means under such circumstances!

In January, the European Parliament adopted a resolution opposing a pre-emptive strike against Iraq. In February, 31 members of the European Parliament went to Iraq. We talked to the weapons inspectors, the UN organizations and the NGO's operating there. Earlier this week, we also met with representatives of the UN Security Council, with Dr. Hans Blix and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan. Now, we are in Washington to discuss with our American counterparts.

Please listen to the message from old Europe: disarmament and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, stabilization of regions in conflict are our common goals. But we don't believe that there is a military solution. We are concerned about the unforeseeable consequences of a military action. There are other peaceful ways to solve the Iraqi crisis. Let's sit together and discuss how we can do it.

Signed by MEP's Paul Lannoye (Green/EFA Group), Francis Wurtz (GUE/NGL Group), Proinsias De Rossa, (PSE Group) and Ulla Sandbaek (EDD Group) on behalf of a cross-party delegation of 20 Members of the European Parliament from 11 EU Member States.
By Kov
Presuming that the US did not in fact do 9-11 by itself, there is little chance that thsi will pass.

Sadam challanged Bush to a "word a thon" but was regected. IN his adress to the United States (other than mis wording 9-11 with 9-12) Mr. Bushler skipped over some massive questions such as:

"Mr Bush, you say that America has proof that Iraq has an arsinal of "evil" weapons. You alos say that the US shares all it's knowladge with Europe. Why is it then that half the countries in the world still apose war?"

"Mr. Bush, what do yo usay to those that think this war is for oil?"
By Adrien
European politics calling themselves "Old Europe"? Weird.
By El Cid
Dri wrote:European politics calling themselves "Old Europe"? Weird.

No, American politicians called Europe "Old Europe".
By Adrien
I know, but here European politicians are talking and they still call themselves "Old Europe". As it wasn't a very gentle remark it's surprising. Well, they want to look "submissive".
By Comrade Koatna
I was reading your extensive message up until I read the first pragraph. Terrorist actions have nothing to do with our governement and what it is doing. That is just the scapegoat that was so conveniently there when THE GOVERNMENT destroyed those towers! I mourn the loss of those in 9/11 but instead of whining about it I say that the goverment deserves to burn in hell! >:
By CasX
Comrade Koatna wrote:I was reading your extensive message up until I read the first pragraph. Terrorist actions have nothing to do with our governement and what it is doing. That is just the scapegoat that was so conveniently there when THE GOVERNMENT destroyed those towers! I mourn the loss of those in 9/11 but instead of whining about it I say that the goverment deserves to burn in hell! >:

You keep saying that, but where's your 'evidence'? Make a thread.
By Comrade Koatna
I dont have the link for the page with my proof, but comrade general kov does. Ask him for the truth about the two towers and you will receive about 60 pages or so of proof.
By blaubrut
Dri wrote:European politics calling themselves "Old Europe"? Weird.

are we strange, because we do not kill anybody like the Americans? To her are brain-washed nevertheless so, does not notice their not which with you happened?

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]

The GOP is pretty much the anti-democracy party a[…]

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]