Macedonian name dispute - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Doomhammer
I like this thread. The OP is down right silly but some of the commentaries match it.

Greece should just invade FYROM and incorporate it into the Greek nation by force. If they want to be 'Macedonian' so badly, then I'm sure Greece could oblige them....

It's this mentality that encourages jingoism in puny nations. :D

..and then Turkey should take back Greece. That I'd pay to see.

Ugh. Greece wouldn't add anything of value to Turkey, ancient sites notwithstanding. Turkey should incorporate useful nations. Some place like Israel or Germany. Full of hard-working, intelligent people.

Actually part of it is how stupid people* like DTW (Dave the Wanker) are.

Yes. People* you don't agree with are automatically stupid? Should "Dave the Wanker" humor your love of denigrating people?

I will not waste time discussing the idiotic ramblings of that particular barbarian.

"Barbarians" as in "uncivilized person" or "foreigner"?

If the Jews had a right to reclaim Jerusalem after almost 2,000 years Greeks most certaily have the right to reclaim Constantinople.

Might makes right. Why don't you get started on that?

As for Turkey... dibs on energy rich Central Asia.

Obviously as it is currently crawling with Turks this option will have to be deffered until the turkish nation stops existing.

Any plans for that?

:lol:
By noemon
I am guessing Doomhammer revived this thread, so i could see it, since i missed it during my absence.

Nets wrote:..and then Turkey should take back Greece. That I'd pay to see.

Imagine how large you jealousy actually is.

Ugh. Greece wouldn't add anything of value to Turkey, ancient sites notwithstanding. Turkey should incorporate useful nations. Some place like Israel or Germany. Full of hard-working, intelligent people.

Funnily, in the Ottoman Empire(neutral ground), Greeks were far more useful than Jews, both politically and economically, as they were the main bourgeoisie of the area from early on and the Jewish businessmen lived largely under their shadow. The Greek success in the Balkan Wars was largely a product of their economic success, and that is why Greece reached to the point of ringing the doorbell of Ankara, within a matter of years, while Israel cant get Jerusalem from some confused Jordanians.

From 1669 until the Greek War of Independence in 1821 Phanariotes formed the majority of the dragomans to the Ottoman government (the Porte) and to foreign embassies due to the higher level of education of Greeks compared to the general Ottoman population.

- Encyclopedia Britannica, The Phanariotes, 2008, O.Ed.

Oh fucking christ, not another one of these bullshit arguments about Greece and Macedonia. Here's the thing: Greece and Macedonia suck. Greece I suppose is first world, but it's small and corrupt and unimportant. Macedonia is a trashbin piece of shit country that no one cares about except Greeks. If it were France and Germany we'd care.

Not making the news is in fact noteworthy in a good sense, and certainly not in a bad one.

The Greece/FYROM dispute, historical arguments aside, functions as a guide of policy, because as you should be informed the Balkans are a filter, historically, of policy among the main players.

Whether the switch turns on and off, it will first switch in the Balkans.
;)

Regarding the OP, his post makes perfect sense. Absolute makes an advertisement, regarding Mexico, and US officials run to withdraw it, and by analogy Mexico is Greece's FYROM, while on the other hand we have the current PM of FYROM laying a wreath with a map 3 times the size of his country, including Greece northern province's, and that is the PM propagating such an attitude, not just a random Vodka company.

As for Greeks discussing about the City, that might take place in an informal manner among Greeks as a form of nostalgia, especially if someone has roots from there, but that is not an element of Greek foreign policy, neither active or in limbo, it is a non-existant matter. Greek Macedonia for FYROM officials is not an non-existant matter but part of their active foreign policy. Your analogy is false.
By QatzelOk
The "Canada" brand was actually stolen from French Canada. The people of Quebec were the first to call themselves "canadiens," and the English sort of stole both this name and Canada's present national anthem from Quebec.

That being said, Quebeckers simply adopted a new name (one that starts with the high-end letter Q) and have never looked back.

Greeks already have great brand recognition because of anal sex and Plato. Just let this one go.
By Anor
Please forgive me for placing this here,

but such ignorance , hidden in remarks and comments which could only by done from young children who do not have an idea of diplomacy , can cause this.

Lets start from the dispute that triggered the whole issue. FYROM ... a state created in early 1940s by Tito as state-in-state in previous Yugoslavia , as to serve certain interests at the area, was formed by three races. Albanians, Bulgarians, Serbians. The people's sum of this, was self-called as Macedonia , in order to find a way , to gain access to the Aegean Sea for commercial/trade whatever reasons.(Tito's dictatorship plans)

FYROM today hosts one major army camp of US protecting a big gas pipe... you can find on Google several photos of this camp , which is the biggest in Europe. Natural Gas as you may know is the form of energy that has shifted balances in economy. FYROM is one state that has a significant part in it , as a serving node.

However a nation formed by three races/cultures in an area like , Balkans, where after USSR's end , started to divide in smaller nations , focusing on ethnistic movements, is destined to dissapear... unless:

1) They have some historical background that will be used as a "foundation" for a sovereign nation.

2) They need a name that will be also known , and of course associated to this supposed "legacy" of theirs.. Macedonia is the best fit , since it is ancient, historical "rich" and of course can give them a way to raise issues like "ground" claims and other.

Now is Macedonia Greek?... the ongoing dispute is based on the issue that Macedonian king Philipos fought against all other city-states (the term "nation" as we know it today, at that age simply did not exist.) and became the first ruler of all. However the languange, culture, civilization was Greek.

Anyway.. lets not stay in the past, although the sollution relies there. Today Greece as a member of NATO and E.U. is stating that is ready as a nation to meet FYROM half way and accept a name for all usage which will be something like "North Macedonia", "Slavic Macedonia" and so on. FYROM however stay to their position as "Macedonia". This of course causes a problem in the area and an ongoing dispute.

By default this leads to other problems rising, like Bulgaria claiming that FYROM should not exist in the first place as it is Bulgarian ground. Albanians on the other hand , since Kossovo , they now have an eye to expand grounds based on the ongoing ethnicist movement inside FYROM.

Now you should remember , that Balkans were the area where both World Wars started. The whole area is considered a trade/energy crossroad to Asia, Africa and Europe with much significance to anyone's interest. He, who is, in charge there or has much influence at those countries, is the one who controls many resources (oil, natural gas are coming via pipes at this area).

Greece and Turkey are the main nodes at this area. Greece is, cause of the sea roads which connects Russia, Europe and Africa (Mediteranean-Aegean) and Turkey is the main gate to Asia (see world map).

Lets get a more general picture now.

Balkans are formed by countries like FYROM, Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Albania, Hungary, Kossovo....mainly.

The area is considered to be highly inflamable and all it would take is a small spark. If you check the world map you will find out that they are all close to oil reserves, gas sources and so on. A small part of the world , which is faceing huge border problems between the countries and can easily turn into a major conflict area.
Imagine the war in Serbia multiplied 1000 times in magnitude. Close to the energy resources of the planet... where you can add to this that Iran and Iraq are always facing problems with Turkey and wont miss the chance to get back to Turkey... Get an idea?

Balkans were, are and will be (as long as energy resources are close) a small M.East in the heart of Europe. So a dispute between two countries, no matter how small are , or how insignificant might seem to an ignorant eye, it can easilly cause such a chain reaction , that will make today's financial crisis, seem like a small gambling party.

As for inflamatory comments about my Country and its citizens.. be aware that Greeks are even more hard critics about themselves than you. That is why we survived 5000 years (even after 400 years of occupation) and still able to be a part of today's world.

Yes!!!we do face problems with corruption , yes!! we do face political issues.

The question is though .. do you know a country that is not facing the same issues? Scandals are everywhere... even to your neighbours home next door... so please:

Next time you try to insult or suggest something deminishing for a country or other person, first think if you are ignoring too many facts again.

Thank you for reading this and i apollogize to the admins in advance if i seemed to harsh or aggressive. I think that in a political forum , oppinions should be supported by logical arguments and not by just plain ignorance or insults.

noemon...thank you for contributing in this.

Anor
Last edited by Anor on 01 Oct 2008 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
By Doomhammer
I am guessing Doomhammer revived this thread, so i could see it, since i missed it during my absence.

I thought this was a recent thread. Darn, the IR sub-forum is quite slow.

Look, this is getting kinda off-topic but here goes:

Funnily, in the Ottoman Empire(neutral ground), Greeks were far more useful than Jews, both politically and economically, as they were the main bourgeoisie of the area from early on and the Jewish businessmen lived largely under their shadow. The Greek success in the Balkan Wars waslargely a product of their economic success,

I have some articles of the late Professor Stanford Shaw that states the contrary, at least regarding the Jews, I shall post some quotes as appropriate. But first, some general remarks:

Jews generated much prosperity for the empire. Not to mention leading scientific innovations. For example, the Jews brought the printing press to the Empire. Sadly, our silly religion stopped it from being utilized by the Muslim populace, though the Armenians and later the Greeks began to use it as well.

From Turkey, Land of Refuge by Stanford Shaw:

There were, first and foremost, Jews who through their wealth or knowledge made themselves indispensable to the sultans and other leaders of the Ottoman Ruling Class as physicians, financiers and political and diplomatic advisors, while at the same time using their influence to help and protect their less influential co-religionists: Ishak Pasha, who was chief physician to Murad II (1421-1451), the Venetian Yakub Efendi (maestro Jacobo), physician to Mehmed II; Joseph Hamon, born in Granada in about 1450, who emigrated to Istanbul during the reign of Mehmed II and served as physician to Sultans Bayezid II and Selim I, influencing both to admit the thousands of Jewish refugees who were coming from Western Europe and Spain and encouraging others to come through economic and political enticements: Moshe Hamon, physician to Selim I and Suleyman Kanuni 'The Lawgiver' between 1490 and 1554, who not only arranged for the continued immigration of refugee Jews into the Empire, but also got the sultans to issues decrees protecting the Jews from blood and libel attacks then being mounted against them by Christians whose hatred of Jews and Muslims was compounded by jealousy at the favors given the new emigrants by the Ottoman rulers.
In the same way, a large number of Jewish bankers managed to bring most of their capital into the Ottoman Empire from Spain and Portugal, taking advantage of the freedom granted by the Ottomans to undertake far-reaching financial enterprises, not only in the Empire itself but throughout Europe, with the Marranos in particular making major contributions to the growth of th Ottoman banking, capital investment and trade. Jews such as these dominated Otoman mint and customs houses and served as moneylenders and tax farmers for the Ottoman Ruling Class, gaining tremendous wealth while largely controlling Ottoman financial and economic affairs well in to the seventeenth century, when they were for the most part replaced by Armenians and Greeks due to the increasing influence in Ottoman economic affairs of the anti Semitic Christian states of Europe.

[etc. It goes on and on. A bit tedious for me to continue typing the article on the internet]

and that is why Greece reached to the point of ringing the doorbell of Ankara, within a matter of years, while Israel cant get Jerusalem from some confused Jordanians.

Well, if only we all had the blessings and support of Great Powers in our enterprises. English liberalism has sadly spawned terrible phenomena such as Turcophobia, Greek-Nationalism (thank you very Lord Byron who more or less invented it) and protection of puny states at the expense of the strong. Would the Greeks have won the War of Independence had you no support from Russia or Great Britain of France; who collectively destroyed the entire Ottoman fleet and deprived the Empire of a very important strategic advantage?

And you reached Ankara? Good for you. Once the British aries withdrew from Galipoli, the Turks went gung-ho on the Greeks, resulting in Greeks fleeing to Izmir and then back to whence they came with their tails between their legs. It took about 10-11 days that offensive, yes. You guys more or less gave up fighting ... in 2-3 days was it?

:D
By Anor
Would the Greeks have won the War of Independence had you no support from Russia or Great Britain of France; who collectively destroyed the entire Ottoman fleet and deprived the Empire of a very important strategic advantage?

wow... you are tottaly wrong on this one. The supposed fleet that arrived in the Aegean sea and took part at the ship battle of Navarinos was not as big as you think.

The Turkish fleet to that time point was suffering huge defeats by the Greek sabotage boats (filled with explosive matterial were bounded to the side of Turkish ships and ignited them with astoning results.) The so call ship battle of Navarinos was just the chery on the pie there.

As for aid.. which aid are you refering to?.. the one given by Napoleon's officers to Ibrahem who invaded the whole of Peloponissos and his army got trained by them?

Maybe you are refering to ships send filled by retired British-French-etc. army officials, who came to Greece and were far worse than the occupation forces, since they were not given the "ranks & benefits" demanded by them into the Greek forces, by the time they reached Greece?

People who just left the 100year war and Greece was a place to get rid of them? (source: Foreign Travellers, published in 1996 , by house "Stachy" , Historian : Simopoulos)

I can go on forever here saying about loans with interests set from "allied forces" capable enough to bring a modern country to its knees and so on... it is not as simple as you describe it.

Please... get your facts straight.

As for Ankara... it was a Greek mistake to go on there. They should stay on the shores of Little Asia guarding the city of Smyrni and do not go any further.

As for the Greek army retreat , SunTzu says (Art of War) that no army can survive away from its supply sources. Same happened here, only British and French changed sides , and gave Kemal support cause of the agreemet for oil in the Southern Turkey land. Again... when you are fighting to a superior force, also supplied by your recent "allies" , i fail to see the way to overcome this. Not that i justify the invasion... not at all... i think it was a huge greek diplomatic/strategical/political mistake. But from that to say that the Greek army sole power was based only uppon allied forces , is a long way.

As for Jews in Turkey... please forgive me.. i have no details on the issue , so i wont comment. However i reject the idea that someone , no matter his ethnicity, is better than the other under a foreign established regime/state/force. It is like arguing who is the better servant in the owners home. Owner can still fire one or both of them.

Anor.
Last edited by Anor on 01 Oct 2008 14:29, edited 2 times in total.
By noemon
Doomhammer has a thing about the Jews, he even consider himself as one, so this is not surpising at all. Your(Doomhammer) quote does not state anything on the contrary to my quote, the snippet from Encyclopedia Brittanica states the obvious:

Greeks formed the majority of dragomans in the Ottoman Empire for a large period of time well until the Greek revolution.

As for our independence, the Ottomans invited the Egyptians, and the British invited themselves, i have spoken before about this to you, so this is unnecessary.

The important thing is that we actually made it to Ankara and your utter destruction and if our allies hadnt left us out in the open, since French and Italians guarded our supply lines who without notice withdrew from their posts, now there would be no Turkish nation at all to talk about ;). Pretty impressive for a nation that was subject to the very same Empire that was now on the spot and which included Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel/Palestine, Egypt, Armenia and so on... and our "defeat" caused no border changes for our country, it simply did not incorporate further areas.
By peter_co
Anor, are you seriously suggesting that the Greek revolutionaries would not have been destroyed without the intervention of the European powers???
By Doomhammer
Here we go again... sigh.

The Turkish fleet to that time point was suffering huge defeats by the Greek sabotage boats (filled with explosive matterial were bounded to the side of Turkish ships and ignited them with astoning results.)

I can't deny that. Although many of the ships that got burned down were docked, explaining the particular effectiveness of that strategy. I still believe you under estimate Navarino. Even if were correct in arguing that Navarino was just "a cherry on the cake", it also is proof that the Greeks had the support of the Great Powers and meant that the Ottoman Empire mights as well surrender because there was sympathy for the Greek cause. To avoid the land-equivalent of Navarino, the Ottomans gave up.

I would like to hear your account of how Greek nationalist forces managed to rout the Ottomans regular forces so as to force the Empire to surrender.

As for aid.. which aid are you refering to?.. the one given by Napoleon's officers to Ibrahem who invaded the whole of Peloponissos and his army got trained by them?

It should be implicit from my above post that I was referring to international public opinion and the looming fear of further Great Power intervention.

As for Ankara... it was a Greek mistake to go on there. They should stay on the shores of Little Asia guarding the city of Smyrni and do not go any further.

Hmm. Greece was awarded that city without properly taking part in World War I. I feel like a WWII period Frenchmen talking to an Italian about Nice. lol

SunTzu says (Art of War) that no army can survive away from its supply sources. Same happened here, only British and French changed sides , and gave Kemal support cause of the agreemet for oil in the Southern Turkey land.

The French and Italians merely ceased hostilities after agreements were made. They did not support Turkey. The Bolsheviks sent a considerable sum of money and arms, although these originated from the Turkic people of Central Asia and the Bolsheviks indulged their request. The British did not change sides. If they had, things would have been simple. Britain was war weary and refused to help Greece as it transpired that Greece was, because of the unpopularity of the war and impotence of the Greek army (weaker still because some contingents were withdrawn as the war was fruitless and unpopular) unable to defeat the Nationalist Army.
Not that i justify the invasion... not at all... i think it was a huge greek diplomatic/strategical/political mistake.

Oh no, absolutely not. The war was actually brilliant. Well, the British sorta came up with the idea but it could have been brilliant had it succeeded. In realist terms, Greece acted correctly. Too bad for Greece, it failed.
But from that to say that the Greek army sole power was based only uppon allied forces , is a long way.

No, I meant that only for your war of independence. In the Turkish war of independence, Greece only had moral and political, not military, support from the Allies.

Doomhammer has a thing about the Jews, he even consider himself as one, so this is not surpising at all. Your(Doomhammer) quote does not state anything on the contrary to my quote,

Well, one has to admire their resilience and resourcefulness - especially seeing as how people are incorrectly programmed to become Anti-Semites.

Greeks formed the majority of dragomans in the Ottoman Empire for a large period of time well until the Greek revolution. This basically demolishes your uncalled for provocative comment, and thats that.

Dragomans were but a part of the state elite. There were mny Greek ambassadors and Pashas as well. Moreover it is quite natural that Greeks outnumber the Jews in many posts because of demographics - i.e. the Jewish population of the Empire much less than that off Greeks, Armenians and Muslims. The only place the Jews were ever a majority (as a population, not position) was, surprise surprise, Thesalloniki.

As for the provacation, you know I love to tease you noemon, [SF edit: cut.].

;)

As for our independence, the Ottomans invited the Egyptians, and the British invited themselves, i have spoken before about this to you, so this is unnecessary, you are just being provocative throughout.

I know, yeah. Lord Byron and pro-Greek sentiments (I can't believe that Tories were in charge at the time).
The important thing is that we actually made it to Ankara and your utter destruction and if our allies hadnt left us out in the open, since French and Italians guarded our supply lines who without notice withdrew from their posts

How did the French, who were posted more or less in Eastern and South Eastern Anatolia, protect the supply lines of the Greeks who came from the West? As for the Italians, why were you sneaking supplies from the South and why did you simply not replace the historically impotent Italian forces with Greeks once they withdrew? The French and Italians did not spend much effort nor sympathized much with your cause. The British would have been more valuable vis-a-vis dealing with supply lines and they were with you until near the end.

retty impressive for a nation that was subject to the very same Empire that was now on the spot and which included Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel/Palestine, Egypt, Armenia and so on... and our "defeat" caused no border changes for our country, it simply did not incorporate further areas.

Well, I did not realize that Greece's near victory was so impressive given that the Ottoman Empire fought in the Great War against France, England and Russia and succeeded in all but the Southern Front and probably could have, along with Germany, kept on fighting had the Bulgarians and Austrians not collapsed so suddenly.

Moreover, Greece did lose territory. You guys were handed Izmir/Smyrna and your gamble in Anatolia made you lose that as well.

;)
By noemon
Anor, are you seriously suggesting that the Greek revolutionaries would not have been destroyed without the intervention of the European powers???

The Greek revolutionaries stood their ground against the Ottomans for 6 years before anyone decided to intervene. Are you seriously suggesting that the Protecting powers intervened to save the Greeks or get a share of the pie in the newlyfound nation?

In addition, the Great Powers intervened after Egypt and Mohammed Ali intervened on the behalf of the Ottomans. The first to call outside assistance was in fact the Porte. ;)

I can't deny that. Although many of the ships that got burned down were docked, explaining the particular effectiveness of that strategy. I still believe you under estimate Navarino. Even if were correct in arguing that Navarino was just "a cherry on the cake", it also is proof that the Greeks had the support of the Great Powers and meant that the Ottoman Empire mights as well surrender because there was sympathy for the Greek cause. To avoid the land-equivalent of Navarino, the Ottomans gave up.

That happened in 1827, the Egyptian and Albanian army joined your cause on your behalf in 1826. You brought others in the game before us.

Well, one has to admire their resilience and resourcefulness - especially seeing as how people are incorrectly programmed to become Anti-Semites.

Petty remarks as usual, the fact is that you provoked and initiated this penis contest for absolutely no reason at all. Your implied false accusation as usual has no ground, other than hallucinogenic activity.

Dragomans were but a part of the state elite. There were mny Greek ambassadors and Pashas as well. Moreover it is quite natural that Greeks outnumber the Jews in many posts because of demographics - i.e. the Jewish population of the Empire much less than that off Greeks, Armenians and Muslims. The only place the Jews were ever a majority (as a population, not position) was, surprise surprise, Thesalloniki.

As for the provacation, you know I love to tease you noemon, especially when you get Anti-Semitic.

Are you hallucinating? Where did i get antisemitic? Or are you just trying to find a cheap excuse to excuse your pettyness and pitifullness?

As for demographics, they are irrelevant because the majority of the population, Greek, Jewish or Muslim were peasants and in fact contrary to your point because it is better to have people who pose no serious demographic threat run your foreign policy, than people who do have this capacity. It is purely a case of demand and supply, the demand could not be filled by others since others did not have the adequate supply of such figures. The Greek elite of the Phanar, Smyrna, Aivali and Chios was simply too powerful to be competed with by any other ethnic-minority bourgoisie in any city, and Thessaloniki as well which was ethnic Jewish and with a huge difference between any other group, economically it was Greek as well, even in Thessaloniki the Jews lived under the Greek minorities economic shadow. See Salonica City of Ghosts by Mark Mazower.

I know, yeah. Lord Byron and pro-Greek sentiments (I can't believe that Tories were in charge at the time)

Lord Byron is one individual who came by himself all alone after the independence was ongoing already, and then went and sung the deeds of the Greeks.

How did the French, who were posted more or less in Eastern and South Eastern Anatolia, protect the supply lines of the Greeks who came from the West? As for the Italians, why were you sneaking supplies from the South and why did you simply not replace the historically impotent Italian forces with Greeks once they withdrew? The French and Italians did not spend much effort nor sympathized much with your cause. The British would have been more valuable vis-a-vis dealing with supply lines and they were with you until near the end.

The allies who carved up the Ottomans were mainly these four; British, French, Italians and Greeks. All these were together when the Greek army landed in Smyrna, the Italians and the French occupied certain posts and the Brits had withdrawn when the Greco-Turkish war erupted, meanwhile the Greeks were fighting for the Treaty as a whole, not just Smyrna, and the Treaty gave Syria to France and Iraq to Britain, and the coast above Cyprus to Italy. So, they(French and Italians) had one simple task since the British had no forces to undertake this task at the time(which they would have if they did) to remain on post and guard the supply lines until the Kemalist forces are destroyed by the Greek army, but several things changed: a) Venizelos was overthrown,b) the King returned, c)the Italians felt duped and were already discontent, and the French booked some really good deals for railways, so they abandoned their posts and left the Greek front running several hundrend km unguarded, the Greek army retreated hastily, and our casualties were the same as yours.

Moreover, Greece did lose territory. You guys were handed Izmir/Smyrna and your gamble in Anatolia made you lose that as well.

:lol: This territory was not gained and as such was not lost, it was administered by the Greek army the 40 months it was chasing Kemal.

Well, I did not realize that Greece's near victory was so impressive given that the Ottoman Empire fought in the Great War against France, England and Russia and succeeded in all but the Southern Front and probably could have, along with Germany, kept on fighting had the Bulgarians and Austrians not collapsed so suddenly.

What was impressive is a nation that in 1897 has declared bankruptcy, in 1910 it has increased its territory by 70% and its population by 75%, and in 1920 it is banging the doors of Ankara, while in 1820 it is facing complete annihilation.
By Doomhammer
Are you seriously suggesting that the Protecting powers intervened to save the Greeks or get a share of the pie in the newlyfound nation?

Not to share the pie, they wanted Greece to exist and they did have a legitimate reason for intervention. As I remember, one of the Ottoman governors of one of those islands on the Aegean (was it Lemnos?) gleefully butchered some of the Greeks there. Whether for pity or admiration, the new Greek state was fully endorsed at a time when European powers favored the status quo and had recently put a lid on nationalist and revolutionary movements.

In addition, the Great Powers intervened after Egypt and Mohammed Ali intervened on the behalf of the Ottomans.

Egypt was still basically Ottoman. It was a reasonable move, kinda of like asking your viceroy for some cannon-fodder.

The first person to call outside assistance was in fact the Porte.

The first? I thought you said the Greeks didn't call for help, which they didn't but still given with enthusiasm.

That happened in 1827, the Egyptian and Albanian army joined your cause on your behalf in 1826. You brought others in the game before us.

Well, just because the Nationalists weren't defeated in that year does not mean it couldn't have been eventually. Suggesting so is therefore legitimate but not necessarily accurate.
Are you hallucinating? Where did i get antisemitic? Or are you just trying to find a cheap excuse to excuse your pettyness and pitifullness?

Hence my remark: that I like to tease you. I do get a bit bloody-minded sometimes; learned that from the Greeks. :lol:

As for demographics, they are irrelevant because the majority of the population, Greek, Jewish or Muslim were peasants. The Greek elite of the Phanar, Smyrna, Aivali and Chios was simply too powerful to be competed with by any other ethnic-minority bourgoisie in any city, and Thessaloniki as well which was ethnic Jewish and with a huge difference between any other group, economically it was Greek as well, even in Thessaloniki the Jews lived under the Greek minorities economic shadow.

Unacceptable that you attribute the whole source of acumen of the empire on the Greeks. Heck, you could have said Mehmet II was Greek (which is partially true), and you would have been correct. But under the present evidence, and from my learnings, I cannot reasonably agree with your statement, keeping in mind that there were Armenians, Jews and Turks in the elite and the Ottoman equivalent of a bourgeoisie class; and they also had their quarters in the City (Istanbul) and their lobbies. It was mandatory that there was an elite from every religious-ethnic group because they had to represent their Millet and contribute to the government. The differences largely had to do with demographics, though particular Millets had their area of specialty with regards to where they contributed with their services. I cannot comment on Salonica because I don't know enough about the particular circumstances there although I did just read a review of the book you recommended me and from what I understand from it suggests that though there were outbreaks of violence, the Jews and Greeks more or less exchanged their knowledge and crafts and, at least in the review, there was no mention of Jews being under the Greeks (and if they had been, it should been included in the review to make it more interesting and controversial.

See Salonica City of Ghosts by Mark Mazower.

The allies who carved up the Ottomans were mainly these four; British, French, Italians and Greeks. All these were together when the Greek army landed in Smyrna, the Italians and the French occupied certain posts and the Brits had withdrawn when the Greco-Turkish war erupted, meanwhile the Greeks were fighting for the Treaty as a whole, not just Smyrna, and the Treaty gave Syria to France and Iraq to Britain, and the coast above Cyprus to Italy.

Right. Except I don't understand why the Greeks would try to protect the whole treaty. And if it did, could it stretch its forces to protect the French and Italians?

So, they(French and Italians) had one simple task since the British had no forces to undertake this task at the time(which they would have if they did) to remain on post and guard the supply lines until the Kemalist forces are destroyed by the Greek army,

Listen, we are in agreement that the Italians took Antalya and the French took Syria and South-Eastern Turkey and the British had a small garrison in Istanbul and Gallipoli. Correct?
Now, unless I am mistaking, Greece is all the way across the Aegean and had some territory in Western Thrace and Symrna. The part that does not make sense is that why and how could the French in Syria and Italians in Antalya protect Greek supply lines which would, in all reason, should have been coming from Greece to Symrna and then towards the East? It does not compute.

a) Venizelos was overthrown,b) the King returned,

Hence the unpopularity of the war. True.

c)the Italians felt duped and were already discontent, and the French booked some really good deals for railways, so they abandoned their posts and left the Greek front running several hundrend km unguarded

I can understand that Antalya being left to the Turks would leave the Greeks strategically in a bad position as the armies had went straight ahead and their southern flank was now Turkish. If this is what you meant by vacating supply lines, then you might be correct. The supply lines could have been vulnerable but really the Greeks should have had enough sense to protect their supply lines (which probably did not or should not have ran from Antalya, but from Symrna). Regardless, the Turkish counter-offensive came from the central front and therefore the gap in the South was not exploited (there was not enough manpower to do so). Though it is true that Turkish cavalry raided Greek hqs and depos but the Greeks should have been guarding their own front. Therefore, we inevitably reach the conclusion that since Turkey was already at peace with France and Italy and merely guaranteed this, and since the allies could not have been responsible, at least entirely, of Greek supply lines, Greece's defeat cannot be attributed to its allies. I know that Greece withdrew some troops prior to August of 1922 so as to allow a relatively parity in terms of number of troops so as to devoid Greece of a numerical advantage. In the end, it all came down to heavy guns where Turks had a clear advantage and a risky gamble... the rest is history.
This territory was not gained and as such was not lost, it was administered by the Greek army the 40 months it was chasing Kemal.

It was left to Greek administration according to Sevres, which more or less meant that it was annexed to Greece.

What was impressive is a nation that in 1897 has declared bankruptcy, in 1910 it has increased its territory by 70% and its population by 75%, and in 1920 it is banging the doors of Ankara, while in 1820 it is facing complete annihilation.

There was once a poor but virtuous young man... lol Cliché.

I probably don't need to remind you that the Ottoman Empire fought no less than 19 wars against the Russians and dozens more against rebels and other powers in the 19th century and had to deal with internal instability and reforms rendered useless by incompetent leadership. What do you want me to think? The Ottoman Empire couldn't have beat the Greeks even if it wasn't devastated in wars and dismembered by other great powers for decades?

Lord Byron is one individual who came by himself all alone after the independence was ongoing already, and then went and sung the deeds of the Greeks.

Leave the Greeks to make a national hero out of a homosexual. :lol: (disclaimer: I am teasing you, although what I say about Byron is true)
By noemon
Not to share the pie, they wanted Greece to exist and they did have a legitimate reason for intervention. As I remember, one of the Ottoman governors of one of those islands on the Aegean (was it Lemnos?) gleefully butchered some of the Greeks there. Whether for pity or admiration, the new Greek state was fully endorsed at a time when European powers favored the status quo and had recently put a lid on nationalist and revolutionary movements.

It was Chios but that was merely for the public opinion, it was the British that picked the King from the Glycksburg dynasty. It was pretty much to share the spoils, and just joined after the Greeks had been devastated by the combined Ottoman and Egyptian forces and by the Albanian irregulars who were so savage that they were eventually hunted down by the Porte herself, after the Ottomans realized the evil they had commited by depopulating the areas they passed through.
Egypt was still basically Ottoman. It was a reasonable move, kinda of like asking your viceroy for some cannon-fodder.

Not really, Mohammed Ali was not in anyway required to join the Ottoman cause against the Greek rebels and in 1820 he had occupied Ottoman territory(Sudan) by force. This marks the beginning of Egypts independence from the Sultan. It was foreign interference, and that was the main excuse for the European Powers to join in the game as well.

Well, just because the Nationalists weren't defeated in that year does not mean it couldn't have been eventually. Suggesting so is therefore legitimate but not necessarily accurate.

They were not defeated or forced to surrender within a timespan of 6 years of rebellion against a massive Empire. To suggest that they would have been annihilated if it wasnt for the Europeans, is in fact baseless. The only reasonable outcome of non-intervention would have been the delay of the recognition of the Greek state.

But under the present evidence, and from my learnings, I cannot reasonably agree with your statement, keeping in mind that there were Armenians, Jews and Turks in the elite and the Ottoman equivalent of a bourgeoisie class; and they also had their quarters in the City (Istanbul) and their lobbies. It was mandatory that there was an elite from every religious-ethnic group because they had to represent their Millet and contribute to the government. The differences largely had to do with demographics, though particular Millets had their area of specialty with regards to where they contributed with their services. I cannot comment on Salonica because I don't know enough about the particular circumstances there although I did just read a review of the book you recommended me and from what I understand from it suggests that though there were outbreaks of violence, the Jews and Greeks more or less exchanged their knowledge and crafts and, at least in the review, there was no mention of Jews being under the Greeks (and if they had been, it should been included in the review to make it more interesting and controversial.

Am not going to go into depths about the prominence of Greeks in regards to other ethnic-groups within the Porte's administration, the statement from Brittanica is enough to cover me, and basically force you to accept that your remarks were silly. Ofc you have done that already, so idont see any point taking this further. As for Mazower and the economic prominence of the Greeks in Thessaloniki in Chapter "Schooling the Bourgoisie" page 231 all the way to Chapter "Rich and Poor" page 249 the position of the respective industrialists is discussed, the Greeks and Jews joined forces to create the association "Circles de Salonique" in order to wrestle some power from the Sultan. The 2 groups are not put into opposition as antagonists, and also the main players were in different industries during these chapters, but the power share between them and in regards to the Porte tilts towards the Greek side despite the fact that it was less than half the size of the Jewish demographic. If you read all these pages you shall reiterate so yourself, with special note on the wealth distribution among the very large Jewish community which was very unevenly distributed among its members, while the same was not true for the Greeks. Page 252 gets even more graphic but unsuitable for my idiosyncrasy to post.

Right. Except I don't understand why the Greeks would try to protect the whole treaty. And if it did, could it stretch its forces to protect the French and Italians?

Because the Treaty gave them Smyrna and East Thrace. In order to get their share they were essentially fighting for the whole treaty and not just for their part since it belonged to that Treaty and was not part of another document.

Now, unless I am mistaking, Greece is all the way across the Aegean and had some territory in Western Thrace and Symrna. The part that does not make sense is that why and how could the French in Syria and Italians in Antalya protect Greek supply lines which would, in all reason, should have been coming from Greece to Symrna and then towards the East? It does not compute.

The French and Italians had garrisons with enough manpower to spend close to the action, while the British did not. Their garrison in Gallipoli was not even enough for it and its hinterland. The British were outstreched to spend any man-power. The French and the Italians though were spending manpower since they had it and since the Treaty included their possessions as well. IN the new Traety that was singed they did keep their possesions with Kemal, the only thing Kemal managed to save from Turkey was Smyrna, Thrace and a part of Armenia, the French and British got what the rpevious Treaty stipulated and that is why during the Greek offensive they abandoned their positions, because there was another Treaty agreed upon that they would basically keep everything, so no need for them to guard the back of the Greeks. The Greek front ofc was not wholly backed by them, but by Greeks too, it was merely holes that were created when they abandoned position, but that was enough for the Greek general to call for retreat because if Kemal found these holes, which he would, then the losses would have been immeasurable on an encirclement of pieces, of the broken front.

The supply lines could have been vulnerable but really the Greeks should have had enough sense to protect their supply lines (which probably did not or should not have ran from Antalya, but from Symrna).Though it is true that Turkish cavalry raided Greek hqs and depos but the Greeks should have been guarding their own front. Therefore, we inevitably reach the conclusion that since Turkey was already at peace with France and Italy and merely guaranteed this, and since the allies could not have been responsible, at least entirely, of Greek supply lines, Greece's defeat cannot be attributed to its allies. I know that Greece withdrew some troops prior to August of 1922 so as to allow a relatively parity in terms of number of troops so as to devoid Greece of a numerical advantage. In the end, it all came down to heavy guns where Turks had a clear advantage and a risky gamble... the rest is history.

The offensive was an allied agreement for an allied Treaty and the Greeks did not act unilaterally during the campaign, this basically answers your question, and basically proves the point that it was in fact Allied back-door agreements that caused the defeat after Italy and France agreed to the new Treaty they abandoned their position on the supply lines. And the hole was not just in the South, but in various positions throughout.

It was left to Greek administration according to Sevres, which more or less meant that it was annexed to Greece.

The Treaty was never signed by all belligerents and most importantly Kemal. You cant lose what not yours in the first place.

What do you want me to think?

Nothing much, and in fact i dont care what you think because i know you and i already know how you think, i just wont allow you to belittle Greece at every opportunity you get, and most essentially put it in comparison with others, especially when you have inadequate knowledge for either, and most importantly because it is against gentlemanliness to compare and contrast others since you force into the game people from both sides which do not belong to your own ethnic-group. You have not just errored by attempting to belittle Greece and the Greeks for no particular reason, but you have errored by dragging the Jews inside the game, without you having by definition the right to do so, since you are risking their own fame in the process.
Last edited by noemon on 01 Oct 2008 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
By DemonicRage
Ah yes the Turks.

They have raped themselves out of existence.
Theyre not so Asian looking anymore... they seem much more European looking.

So ultimately they lost... :lol:
By Doomhammer
It was Chios but that was merely for the public opinion

That's the one.

it was the British that picked the King from the Glycksburg dynasty.

Thus you ended up with a German monarch.

It was pretty much to share the spoils

What spoils? The British had no mechanizations for dismembering the Empire, at least not yet. Besides, Tories traditionally supported the Ottomans, in fact, the Greek War of Independence is somewhat of a fluke. In any case, I don't see what the British could gain as spoils aside from a round of interfering in the affairs of the Ottomans and taking another step to destabilize it - which would have contradicted with their policy of containing Russia and having a bridge for India.

They were not defeated or forced to surrender within a timespan of 6 years of rebellion against a massive Empire.

Massive. Really, Noemon. What good is size and having a regular army if one cannot utilize it properly because of so much turmoil. In the 1820s, Greece was the least of the Empire's worries (I say that not to make the nationalist revolt seem insignificant but in the sense that there were so many other problems at the same time), what with rebellions, the finally successful attempt at shutting down the Janissary corps, Mehmet Ali Pasha, the usual.
To suggest that they would have been annihilated if it wasnt for the Europeans, is in fact baseless.

I didn't have annihilation in mind. The exhausted Ottomans would hurt them a little more and a compromise would have reached to most likely turn Greece in to a Wallachia or Moldova...

The only reasonable outcome of non-intervention would have been the delay of the recognition of the Greek state.

Or possibly that.

Am not going to go into depths about the prominence of Greeks in regards to other ethnic-groups within the Porte's administration, the statement from Brittanica is enough to cover me, and basically force you to accept that your remarks were silly.

I care more about scholarly work than the Encyclopedia which was subject to nonsense in the past (This is actually true. Until recent decades, there were many nonsense entries made into, even Brittanica). I have not conceded anything. I have not been able to convince you entirely but really, one can only post the material.

Listen, are we talking solely about Salonica or the Empire in general? I was speaking about the latter, as I conceded that I know nothing of Salonica but I have evidence for my argument that the Jews (and Armenians) were very significant assets for the Empire and made great contributions.

Because the Treaty gave them Smyrna and East Thrace. In order to get their share they were essentially fighting for the whole treaty and not just for their part since it belonged to that Treaty and was not part of another document.

The Greek front ofc was not wholly backed by them, but by Greeks too, it was merely holes that were created when they abandoned position, but that was enough for the Greek general to call for retreat because if Kemal found these holes, which he would, then the losses would have been immeasurable on an encirclement of pieces, of the broken front.

Well then, it appears that the Greeks bit off more then they could chew if they relied on the allies to watch over some posts and then did not have the will to reinforce the gaps. The blame cannot be put on the Allies here, I am afraid.

The offensive was an allied agreement for an allied Treaty and the Greeks did not act unilaterally during the campaign,

Well, to be honest, the Italians never truly allied with the Greeks. The Italians saw you guys more as rivals and gladly retreated after a defeat in Konya (and during internal revolution at home). The French should have never been relied on to begin with because they were too worried about Sykes-Picot agreement. Sevres was the least of their worries.
And it should have been obvious that because UK only had a moderate contingent and thus one could not expect much help from them. It is a no-brainier that the war could have been won if the allies actually wanted to fight, but really Greece was in the role of an imperialist pawn on the grand chessboard.

Nothing much...

Blah blah blah. Yes, well thank you for that.

They have raped themselves out of existence.

People should stick to what they are good at.

Theyre not so Asian looking anymore... they seem much more European looking.

You have a talent for pointing out facts. Good for you. :up:

So ultimately they lost...

Lost what?

And besides, it's not whether you win or lose that matters but how you play the game. In this case, it involved raping people. If rape is inevitable, you should enjoy it. :lol:
By noemon
Thus you ended up with a German monarch

The same dynasty that rules Britain for some centuries now.

What spoils? The British had no mechanizations for dismembering the Empire, at least not yet. Besides, Tories traditionally supported the Ottomans, in fact, the Greek War of Independence is somewhat of a fluke. In any case, I don't see what the British could gain as spoils aside from a round of interfering in the affairs of the Ottomans and taking another step to destabilize it - which would have contradicted with their policy of containing Russia and having a bridge for India.

The above is a spoil in and of itself. The intervention of the Powers gave them the ability to impose the Monarch and the recognition of Greece came under these conditions.

Massive. Really, Noemon. What good is size and having a regular army if one cannot utilize it properly because of so much turmoil. In the 1820s, Greece was the least of the Empire's worries (I say that not to make the nationalist revolt seem insignificant but in the sense that there were so many other problems at the same time), what with rebellions, the finally successful attempt at shutting down the Janissary corps, Mehmet Ali Pasha, the usual.

Seriously, are you still arguing the impossible? So what is your point Doomy? Make it clear. That the Greeks are inept, that their 6 year rebellion was nothing really noteworthy? Because the Empire had other problems as well? Note the janisaries were abolished at a much later time, but anyways.

I care more about scholarly work than the Encyclopedia which was subject to nonsense in the past (This is actually true. Until recent decades, there were many nonsense entries made into, even Brittanica). I have not conceded anything. I have not been able to convince you entirely but really, one can only post the material.

Listen, are we talking solely about Salonica or the Empire in general? I was speaking about the latter, as I conceded that I know nothing of Salonica but I have evidence for my argument that the Jews (and Armenians) were very significant assets for the Empire and made great contributions.

Mazower is an Oxford scholar, a specialist on Ottoman Balkans and the Balkans in general, i mentioned Salonica because you mentioned Salonica. As for the Empire as a whole, the prominence of Greeks against the other ethnic-groups is reiterated by the act that they occupied the most important seats a foreigner could get in the Porte's offices and monopolized them for centuries, but also by the obvious fact that Greece has the best and largest piece of the pie of the Ottoman empire compared to all the others. Regarding the fact that the Greeks formed the majority of dragomans it is simply a fact and wiki has the whole list of dragomans and their ethnicity, you can check it there to make sure, since Britannica is not good enough for you.

Again, these are simply facts, that render your remarks of the Greeks stupidity and ineptness, silly.

Well then, it appears that the Greeks bit off more then they could chew if they relied on the allies to watch over some posts and then did not have the will to reinforce the gaps. The blame cannot be put on the Allies here, I am afraid.

As i said, it is no rocket science:

noemon wrote:The offensive was an allied agreement for an allied Treaty and the Greeks did not act unilaterally during the campaign

It is a no-brainer. As for your personal story about Italy or France, that is largely irrelevant because the Treaty of Sevres was not a Greek burden to impose but an allied one, and above all the offensive was not unilateral. It is mundane on forming scenarios when things are pretty clear, especially when we know that the Treaty of Lausanne basically gave them everything the Sevres gave them, minus the Greek part. It is a simple case of 2-1=1. They agreed not to fight(actually abandon their posts) for their part of the Treaty, since Kemal assured them that if the Greeks wont get it if they abandon their positions, they will get theirs for sure. Am sure an IRealist like yourself understands this better than others.
By Doomhammer
The same dynasty that rules Britain for some centuries now.

I know. Quite a good line, really. The Spaniards are also of the same line as well, as I recall.
The intervention of the Powers gave them the ability to impose the Monarch and the recognition of Greece came under these conditions.

See, I don't think of that as a share of the spoils. Merely setting up a friendly entity.
So what is your point Doomy? Make it clear. That the Greeks are inept, that their 6 year rebellion was nothing really noteworthy? Because the Empire had other problems as well? Note the janisaries were abolished at a much later time, but anyways.

No. The Greeks were not inept. Quite the contrary that they managed to hold their own against regular forces is respectable. I am however deliberating about the Ottoman army, it was not a particularly bad one after the reforms made in the early 19th century. It is a fact that there were problems that disabled the efficient allocation of military resources to where it was needed, i.e. Greece.
Note the janisaries were abolished at a much later time, but anyways.

1826. Right about that time.
Mazower is an Oxford scholar, a specialist on Ottoman Balkans and the Balkans in general, i mentioned Salonica because you mentioned Salonica.

I see. I mentioned Salonica as an example of demographics, i.e. as in it was the only place where there was a considerable number of Jews.
Regarding the fact that the Greeks formed the majority of dragomans it is simply a fact and wiki has the whole list of dragomans and their ethnicity, you can check it there to make sure, since Britannica is not good enough for you.

Yes, I saw that about the Dragomans. Dragomans aren't the only position in the government. They are a part of the whole. The sum of the parts were made of other ethnicities as well and their contributions are also clear.

and above all the offensive was not unilateral.

It was allied but the burden fell to the Greeks.
hey agreed not to fight(actually abandon their posts) for their part of the Treaty, since Kemal assured them that if the Greeks wont get it if they abandon their positions, they will get theirs for sure. Am sure an IRealist like yourself understands this better than others.

Right.
By Anor
phew... this has gone a long way...not able to follow you now.

Some facts that both neglected to fail , which someone consider as a pretty much significant factor , for what happened during the years 1918-1922.

The political situation in Greece was somehow chaotic, since Venizelos (prime minister) was a supporter of the allied diplomatic policies and Konstantinos was a supporter of the opposite side. This alone was not an easy situation to handle... to bring it to today's terms the conditions in Greece , on political level only, were similar to the ones , US had during Vietnam war. Leadership of Greece was struggling to convince that moving into Turkey (leaving the shores os Smyrni )and going to occupy Ankara was something that was needed.

That brought ofcourse the overstretched situation of the Greek army , which although had a strong will to go on, they were not capable to do it. Not enough numbers , away from supply lines, and in addition to this , they had now to fight into uknonwn lands with Kemal's army which was eqquiped with the same guns , that Greeks had from their allies.

As for Ottoman empire... it was like Rome in ancient years.. an empire of lands, full of mineral/trade wealth and opportunities, though not able to stand alone now, since it was now too weak to do it (on both political and military level).

If it was left alone to dissolve from inside as it seemed, Russia would have taken the chance and would have gained from that. British and French thought the same of course. Remember that Ottoman empire, was a trace/commerce crossroad and had in control several oil funds. So a paradox game of balance occured where all wanted to gain something, but none wanted the other country to overpower them in this. This is where the "whip and carot" diplomacy took over.

"We will aid you to go alone as we say , but if you wont do this, we will treat you accordingly."

That was the cuase that lead Greeks into the treaty , as the "protecting guarisson" of L.Asia shores.

As for Monarchy in Greece , since the first "king" that was send to Greece to the last one, all were considered "outcasts" in the aristocratic circles of their countries.

Not capable diplomats, not skillful politicians. They were ,just, send to Greece as "string-puppets" to be guided along the interests of the country which send them. There are several sources by historians on this one, but the books i have are in Greek languange , so you will have either to trust me on this, or wait for a translation in the next days.

You should always keep in mind that Balkans peninsula , was-is a very significant area to control. If you take under consideration that Turkey and Greece were the only countries during that period that were not under control of Russia (bigger influence on the area at that time), you can see that both of the countries were a great price for those who wanted to have some base/grounds/guarisson on the sensitive area of Eastern Europe/M.East and the sea roads to Russia by the Mediteranean.

If you think also that Greece was the one , as a "new-born" state that had no stable political system or structure and a depending economy from the loans given by the allies , you will be able to understand that it was much easier to control Greece than the Ottoman Empire.

That was valid , until they saw that Kemal was up to ressurect a strong Turkey as more and more people were following him there. So they approached the upcomming wave and used the ancient Greek trick with the Trojan Horse.. they gave the "present" of support , power, guns, whatever but they had a say in oil reserves and of course in the inside politics of the country.

As for Greeks, well... with a devastated economy from the war, a political system faithfull to the forces (despite if King Konstantinos or Venizelos were in charge) they did not seem as a danger to their plans for that part of the world.

The proof for this was that even US , saw the opportunity of getting into the "oil bussiness" in that area, promised the first support and aid to the Turks.

The story goes on from that point on. Both Greece and Turkey although independent as political system , they are depended on outside aid (E.U., NATO) and want to please as much as their citizens allow , the bigger powers so they will be able to continue on existing.

I know that this might seem too simplistic as a view, but this is the general idea, if you take all details from Balkan wars till today and set them on table.

Can you imagine what would happen , for example, if Turkey and Greece joined (in diplomacy and politics) and followed the Byzantium way of diplomacy in todays world?... while they control the crossroad to Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa?

Both countries were prices since then ... for whoever had the power to achieve that. From Britain and France, to USSR - USA and to USA and Russia today.

Under a Geo-military view , the geographic position of those countries is considered highly important and that is why , if you read history , in all significant events of the Planet (from ancient Greece/Rome/Byzantium to modern world WWI-WWII-today) were and are mentioned.

And that is why (to return to our subject) there is so much trouble on which country is going to be founded there, what name should it use and so on. Balkans (where Greece and Turkey are part of that) are just the "powder storage" of Europe.. all it will take is a simple spark. Which can easily be a name or a change in border line.

Some will benefit from this. For sure though that wont be Greece, FYROM, Turkey or the rest fo the countries there.

Anor
By Doomhammer
The political situation in Greece was somehow chaotic, since Venizelos (prime minister) was a supporter of the allied diplomatic policies and Konstantinos was a supporter of the opposite side.

That fact was not neglected by either of us. Even some generals wanted to call off the expedition, for example: Trikopis.

they had now to fight into uknonwn lands with Kemal's army which was eqquiped with the same guns , that Greeks had from their allies.

Well, the Turks did get some arms from the French after they withdrew but most of the Empire's arms and artillery originated from domestic production, Germany and Russia. Greeks had good artillery but not enough of it.

If it was left alone to dissolve from inside as it seemed, Russia would have taken the chance and would have gained from that. British and French thought the same of course.

Though it didn't come to pass with WWI. Russia was struggling not to get dissolved herself, the French were devastated and Britain hardly had the economic means and will to go on with any more fighting.
Remember that Ottoman empire, was a trace/commerce crossroad and had in control several oil funds.

The Ottoman position is somewhat exaggerated here. With Trans-Atlantic trade, the Suez Canal and all, the Ottoman Empire's status as an important trade route somewhat diminished (centuries before, in fact).
"We will aid you to go alone as we say , but if you wont do this, we will treat you accordingly."

The most logical source of action of great powers towards weaker states.

They were ,just, send to Greece as "string-puppets" to be guided along the interests of the country which send them. There are several sources by historians on this one, but the books i have are in Greek languange , so you will have either to trust me on this, or wait for a translation in the next days.

Seems very likely.

If you think also that Greece was the one , as a "new-born" state that had no stable political system or structure and a depending economy from the loans given by the allies , you will be able to understand that it was much easier to control Greece than the Ottoman Empire.

Never said that.

The proof for this was that even US , saw the opportunity of getting into the "oil bussiness" in that area, promised the first support and aid to the Turks.

Though the US was never at war the Ottoman Empire and pretty much withdrew from international politics very soon. We had to sort out the Oil problem with the British in 1926 after they encouraged a local warlord to rise up against Turkey.

The story goes on from that point on. Both Greece and Turkey although independent as political system , they are depended on outside aid (E.U., NATO) and want to please as much as their citizens allow , the bigger powers so they will be able to continue on existing.

The classic tale of the medium power states.

Can you imagine what would happen , for example, if Turkey and Greece joined (in diplomacy and politics) and followed the Byzantium way of diplomacy in todays world?... while they control the crossroad to Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa?

My imagination is somewhat dulled somewhat.
By Doomhammer
The political situation in Greece was somehow chaotic, since Venizelos (prime minister) was a supporter of the allied diplomatic policies and Konstantinos was a supporter of the opposite side.

That fact was not neglected by either of us. Even some generals wanted to call off the expedition, for example: Trikopis.

they had now to fight into uknonwn lands with Kemal's army which was eqquiped with the same guns , that Greeks had from their allies.

Well, the Turks did get some arms from the French after they withdrew but most of the Empire's arms and artillery originated from domestic production, Germany and Russia. Greeks had good artillery but not enough of it.

If it was left alone to dissolve from inside as it seemed, Russia would have taken the chance and would have gained from that. British and French thought the same of course.

Though it didn't come to pass with WWI. Russia was struggling not to get dissolved herself, the French were devastated and Britain hardly had the economic means and will to go on with any more fighting.
Remember that Ottoman empire, was a trace/commerce crossroad and had in control several oil funds.

The Ottoman position is somewhat exaggerated here. With Trans-Atlantic trade, the Suez Canal and all, the Ottoman Empire's status as an important trade route somewhat diminished (centuries before, in fact).

The most logical source of action of great powers towards weaker states.

They were ,just, send to Greece as "string-puppets" to be guided along the interests of the country which send them. There are several sources by historians on this one, but the books i have are in Greek languange , so you will have either to trust me on this, or wait for a translation in the next days.

Seems very likely.

Never said that.

Though the US was never at war the Ottoman Empire and pretty much withdrew from international politics very soon. We had to sort out the Oil problem with the British in 1926 after they encouraged a local warlord to rise up against Turkey.

The classic tale of the medium power states.

My imagination is somewhat dulled. I think you overestimate the importance of the Balkans and even Anatolia. Yes they are important but but one has to be reasonable about it.
Last edited by Doomhammer on 02 Oct 2008 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
By Ombrageux
Under a Geo-military view , the geographic position of those countries is considered highly important and that is why , if you read history , in all significant events of the Planet (from ancient Greece/Rome/Byzantium to modern world WWI-WWII-today) were and are mentioned.

I wonder if Stipe can educate me on all this sordid and tragicomic Balkanocentrism comes from.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]