Why are the US and Japan Still Allies? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Decky wrote:Who cares? I said the allies for a reason, if I had meant the US that is what I would have said.

So by corollary you must also think that one British brigade is going to make a difference against a Russian army rolling across the North German Plain?

Even with tactical nukes they would still be overwhelmed by the Russians.
Dave wrote:http://www.eur.army.mil/organization/units.htm

As you can see we still have all kinds of units wasting our tax dollars on extended European vacations especially in Germany.

Only in your pipe dreams apparently:

In April 2013, the last of U.S. Army’s main battle tanks left Europe due to the departure of the U.S. Army’s last two Germany-based heavy brigades: the 170th Infantry out of Baumholder and the 172nd Infantry Brigade at Grafenwöhr.[18]

http://www.stripes.com/news/us-army-s-l ... y-1.214977
How does this invalidate my link at all? :?:

All kinds of troops (and their attendant commands creating billets for officers :knife:) sucking up taxpayer money chasing frolleins in the unlikely event Adolf Hitler and/or Joseph Stalin come back to life.
Dave wrote:How does this invalidate my link at all? :?:

All kinds of troops (and their attendant commands creating billets for officers :knife:) sucking up taxpayer money chasing frolleins in the unlikely event Adolf Hitler and/or Joseph Stalin come back to life.

I checked your link and it is severely outdated. You should try another link. That would be called "confirmation". You need confirmation.
The link is from US Army Europe. :?:

This is a map of planned foreign bases in Germany in 2020 (as of 2014 plans).

This table from CNN is helpful: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/ ... ry.troops/

Though unfortunately from a few years ago. I am aware that the Army is having fun playing GI Joe in areas of Central and Eastern Europe as well now. :knife:

Either way it seems pretty obvious there are still plenty of US troops in Germany wasting our money waiting for the Wehrmacht and Red Army to return.
Yes...and? :eh:

Probably we will have more troops and installations than planned in 2020 since Army generals don't want to lose their German vacation properties. :roll:

Rumsfeld tried holding their feet to the fire on this issue and we all know how that turned out.
The US contributes forces to NATO battlegroups which are deployed in Europe. Further, the NATO supreme commander is an American, I believe currently the position is held by USAF general Breedlove but will transition to an Army General Curtis M. Scaparrotti. Make no mistake, the US defence establishment considers the entire globe and nearby space to be its warfighting domain.

If you consider this an Empire in the classical sense is debatable.
mikema63 wrote:We need to keep an eye on those pesky Germans Dave.

Pulling our troops home would cut the military budget, reduce the current account deficit, increase aggregate demand, and improve the family lives of troops.

I'd wager it would increase our security as well since it would stop the demented, bloodthirsty neocohens from constantly cooking up new schemes for poking the bear in the eye with a stick.

As far as watching the Germans goes I volunteer Decky for the job.
MB. wrote:The US contributes forces to NATO battlegroups which are deployed in Europe. Further, the NATO supreme commander is an American, I believe currently the position is held by USAF general Breedlove but will transition to an Army General Curtis M. Scaparrotti. Make no mistake, the US defence establishment considers the entire globe and nearby space to be its warfighting domain.

If you consider this an Empire in the classical sense is debatable.

USA-Europe is an alliance not an empire.

If it were an empire we would be collecting taxes from them. We are not.

Without American tanks on the ground the alliance is weak. Putin can do whatever he wants.

I agree that the USA should stay out of Europe because deploying to there only pisses Putin off.

And there is nothing worse than a pissed off Russian bear.

We cannot stop him now anyway. We have nothing within range of Europe that could stop him.
yiostheoy wrote:So by corollary you must also think that one British brigade is going to make a difference against a Russian army rolling across the North German Plain?

Even with tactical nukes they would still be overwhelmed by the Russians.

Well why don't we take a look at what I actually said shall we?

Decky wrote:They should never be allowed to regain their sovereignty just the same as Germany. They need the allies troops on their soil to keep them honest.

When did I mention those troops fighting Russia? Not once (outside of your imagination anyway); I talked about them keeping Germany honest. If you are going to reply to my posts the do me the courtesy of actually reading them first otherwise don't bother.

I understand that you are an American and this business of reading might be difficult for you but you must make some sort of token effort to address what I actually post not fictional arguments I have never made that you have concocted within your own imagination.
Decky wrote:Well why don't we take a look at what I actually said shall we?

When did I mention those troops fighting Russia? Not once (outside of your imagination anyway); I talked about them keeping Germany honest. If you are going to reply to my posts the do me the courtesy of actually reading them first otherwise don't bother.

I understand that you are an American and this business of reading might be difficult for you but you must make some sort of token effort to address what I actually post not fictional arguments I have never made that you have concocted within your own imagination.

Decky, although the USA (we don't call ourselves "America" because that would include Canada and Mexico) has terribly bad public schools, some of us went to private Catholic Jesuit schools.
Decky wrote:I will have to take your word for it. It certainly doesn't show. Always good to have another Catholic on PoFo though. :)

I love the Pope, although I am not afraid to disagree with him.

I love Jesus too, although I am not afraid to disagree with Him either.

Whenever I say that in Catholic Church people faint.

I love the Catholic Douay Rheims Bible, although I have found numerous mistakes in it when I compare it with the Hebrew Tenakh in Hebrew and the Greek New Testament in Greek. But it is still better translated than the Protestant Anglican KJV which is really messed up.

In the modern world birth control is the only hope to control the population of the Earth. Birth control is more important than bringing more Catholics into the world. I know His Holiness disagrees however.

In secular democracies (republics is another word for it) the Church and the State must be separated. This means same sex marriage must be allowed no matter what the Pope thinks.

My favorite story illustrating why Church and State must be separated is this: last time the Catholics were in charge they brought us the inquisition and torture; last time the Protestants were in charge they brought us the Salem witch trials and burnings at the stake. Which church do you want in charge next?
I love the Pope, although I am not afraid to disagree with him.

That's all good; he is only infallible when he is speaking Ex cathedra anyway.

My favorite story illustrating why Church and State must be separated is this: last time the Catholics were in charge they brought us the inquisition and torture; last time the Protestants were in charge they brought us the Salem witch trials and burnings at the stake. Which church do you want in charge next?

Sadly it did not end with Salem, I am posting from a country with a Protestant "church" as the state religion right now.
Decky wrote:That's all good; he is only infallible when he is speaking Ex cathedra anyway.

Sadly it did not end with Salem, I am posting from a country with a Protestant "church" as the state religion right now.

England ?!

I know ... the US fought a huge war with them when it was still called "these" United States.

I think it is cool to have a pretty queen or a handsome king or prince.

However the USA made all that illegal in its Constitution.

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of atte[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]