War criminals walk again - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Freedom
It is my belief that both sides of this discussion are wrong. Demosthenes and Freedom being ultra-nationalist, or at least it seems so, refuse to admit the possibility that the great United States of America could have done somthing wrong.

Shut up...i know America has colluded with certain regimes in the past ie Pinochet, Shah and Margret Thatcher :evil: Dont attempt to even think to what is on my mind or what i know i am above the law(hehehe sneaky little "kingpin" qoute). I could go on and talk about France colluding with regimes or Russia or China or Germany...but why bother.

Lets not forget that America, England, Spain and Australia where involved in ground operations with support of some 36 other countries.

So Americans go on watching their football, getting fat, and still thinking "America kicks ass", "F*** France", and so on, and so on

First off: I hope you mean Soccer when you speak of football. I can be fat and ugly if i want to be, i like the attention. Well in words of Eric Cartmen "France is weaakk".... I dont know were you get off with nonsense statements like that, blanket generalisation are so stupid i dont even use them...often.

Members of the coalition that violate international law, should be prosecuted, and those of the "Opposition" that as well violate international las should also be prosecuted.

Whats with the use of quotation marks on "opposition" is this another attempt to absolve Saddam of his sins?

This is "rampant" "these""day""its""getting""out""of""control"" : 8)

It would be nice if the rest of the world woudn't be damn puppets of the American government or too scared to speak up

Wait a minute, you are saying this has not happened? Just because countries wont risk a world war to save Saddam Hussein doesnt mean they are puppets... :roll:
What needs to happen, however I don't think it will ever happen, is that all persons responsible for violation of international law, more specifically those held within the Geneva Convention, should be held accountable.

You are right, it will never happen... :muha1:
By Demosthenes
Ultra-Nationalist??? Wow! I've never been called that before...I'm not sure if I should be offended or not...I don't think so...i think you're trying to be diplomatic so I'll give you a break even though at the end you pretty much sided with them thereby ruining your pragmatic approach. Oh well.

I never once said the US wasn't guilty of anything. Vietnam certainly was a tragic mistake, however going from me thinking the US is untouchable to falling for everything politically motivated foreigners throw at me is quite another. Why I would lay odds I could find so-called "crimes against humanity" for every country on earth. Yes even Luxembourg and Lichenstein. I'm sure if I search google long enough I can do it. So to accept blanket, unproven, accusations is just not going to happen.

Further if these two cats appeared to have begun studying these events with an open mind and after extensive searching came to the conclusion that, indeed there are war crimes afoot, then I might at least listen and attempt to hear them out. What I suspect is the began with an Anti-American agenda (for whatever reason) and simply looked for any old thing they could find that would help prove their points of view. This is why I refuse to listen to their speil.

However, I hardly think Demosthenes will get it. As for the majority of Americans the most salient truths remain taboos to him. Professor Richard Falk, of Cornell University, put it succinctly some years ago. Western foreign policy, he wrote, is propagated in the media “through a self righteous, one-way moral/legal screen with positive images of western values and innocence portrayed as threatened, validating a campaign of unrestricted violence”.
More self-rightousness wrapped up in a "Demo will never get it" blanket and sold as a premium, but tired, thought pattern. The point of this quote is to imply that America acts completely selfishly and only serves itself. Using whatever means we deem necessary to acheive our goals. I understand this point very well, I just reject it.
Perhaps the most important taboo is the longevity of the United States as both a terrorist state and a haven for terrorists. In 1986, the United States was found guilty by the World Court of “unlawful use of violence” (international terrorism) for its actions in Nicaragua. The United States then promptly vetoed a Security Council resolution calling on all states to adhere to international law. That the US is the only state on record to have been condemned by the World Court for international terrorism and has vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling on governments to observe international law is of no importance to Demosthenes.

uh huh... and who sits on this world court? As far as the US being the only nation condemed by it I think that goes to show how totally biased this kangeroo court really is, and further proves how shrewd a move it was by the US to refuse to be bound by it. We could hold courts of our own for several known terrorists harboring regimes, find them guilty and then proclaim to the world that they are skirting the law...What the hell would that prove? Nothing! That's what. You would see these verdicts as meaningless just as we see this obviously false verdict against us. "The World Court" is a joke.
And Demosthenes for the last time - the atrocities of the "Highway of Hell" were in clear violation of the Geneva Convention of 1949, common article 3. Please read the article and we can take it from there. I don't want to discuss your misguided conceptions of legitimate targets
And RudeBwoy, for the last time yourself, this army was in retreat (which you admitted earlier) not surrender. In war that's a huge distinction. That document you quote in no way claims an army on retreat is subject to it's protections. And think about that for a minute. There's a reason for this. Otherwise all an army would have to do when facing another is run the first time someone was shot, then claim the other army violeted the geneva conventions if theykept firing. The first army could then reform at a stategic time and come right back at the second army. That is idiotic.

and now for Comrade Osnowski:

Demosthenes, i will make this quick so as not to waste my time,
Please do, I tire of simple anti-american bullshit that borders on the level of simple rascism.

it is quite obvious to me that one so blinded by patriotic stupidity will not listen to anything that does not support your own laughable arguement that the USA can/has/and will do nothing wrong.
Wrong again, as usual. You Anti-Americans are all alike. You bellow and blow, and spout and fume, but in the end you make no more sense than what you claim I do. I will listen to any reasonable non-previously biased individual who genuienly approaches the subject objectively- Proctor, Adrien, even Cas-X to a degree, to name but a few on this site alone. Of course that doesn't mean I'll agree but I will listen.

Further ONCE AGAIN, my argument is not the USA is totally blameless in everything we've ever done in the hostory of the country, it just sounds that way because you're trying to poin everything possible on us. A patent use of Anti-American propaganda.

it is quite obvious to me that one so blinded by patriotic stupidity will not listen to anything that does not support your own laughable arguement that the USA can/has/and will do nothing wrong.

Finally we're getting somewhere. I never claimed it wasn't shame this happened. Often times in war many thing happen that no one likes but people who which to manipulate tend to take events like this one a turn them into something thy are not.

But that does not clear the issue, after all the USA has been responcible for more acts of Terrorism over the past 20yrs than any other nation... why not call up those who have committed war crimes under the guise of "freedom and democracy" to the International Criminal Court.
If you could find a court run by Maori, Those new tribesman they just found in the interior of the Amazon, and some natives of Antartica to officiate this court then I would agree, with the idea that we get to indict anyone we want also...lets line em all up in TRULY unbiased court and see what shakes out.
Why not punish Gen. Colin Powell, Secretary of State, for his leading role in the attacks on Panama, Iraq, and covering up My Lai.
Ah and we had made such progress, but you had to digress to this...what a shame...I thought you we're going to be breif... :eh:

Why not punish William Clinton, former President, for 78 days and nights of bombing the civilians of Yugoslavia; continuation of sanctions and rocket attacks upon the people of Iraq; and illegal bombings of Somalia, Bosnia, Sudan, and Afghanistan.
Well... if we gave you Clinton would you leave us the hell alone? I could live with that...
The list is endless, and that is only some of the acts of international injustice that the US was/is directly involved in, there are hundreds of
cases where the US is indirectly involved in, such as the training of the Contras and Al Quada.
So you give two out of context examples and claim this is why we're evil...boy you people sure have your priorities screwed up...Unbelievable...I'll just leave your other rantings alone, they are more baseless accusations that just seem spiteful and not well thought out.
By Delphi
Why I would lay odds I could find so-called "crimes against humanity" for every country on earth. Yes even Luxembourg and Lichenstein

It is interesting, both have been accussed of excessive police violence. :lol:

Whats with the use of quotation marks on "opposition" is this another attempt to absolve Saddam of his sins?

I was simply using it to explain any enemies at present. This would account for Taliban hardliners, Saddam Hardliners, etc. Also, I guess I didn't make it clear. I think the regime of Saddam Hussein was one of extreme oppression. I am not condoning anything he has done, nor will I condone anything that this coalition does that is against international law.

Wait a minute, you are saying this has not happened? Just because countries wont risk a world war to save Saddam Hussein doesnt mean they are puppets...

No, I am saying that if another any nation would ask questions, something like the so-called "Highway of Death" wouldn't have been pushed aside.
By Comrade Osnowski
Please do, I tire of simple anti-american bullshit that borders on the level of simple rascism

Racism...as in the sort of racism, not directed at a specific ethnicity or nationality, but at a GOVERNMENT :hmm: Please refrain from making false accusations of racism, i simply dislike the current american government...this does not mean i dislike the american people. Just as many disliked the Baath regime in Iraq...they do not dislike the iraqi people.

Well... if we gave you Clinton would you leave us the hell alone? I could live with that...

:lol:

So you give two out of context examples and claim this is why we're evil

It is historical fact that the US governement financed alongside CIA training (the Reagan administration i believe) trained Al Quada in order to fight the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. I am British, i am willing to admit that my government has faults and has committed atrocities in the past (British empire, etc), so please Demosthenes, why can't you, and many Americans, admit that your government has committed war crimes, just like any other government.

boy you people sure have your priorities screwed up

Isn't this one of those blanket generalisations :eh:
By Gral. Stamelin
I support you, comrade.

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]